Conquer Club

Austerlitz Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D,Gp] v06 26june2009

Postby pamoa on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:45 am

v06 new features: background and other small things
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

sorry guys a lot of RL work
I'm making a poll in the thread as the front page system is bugging

WHICH BACKGROUND DO YOU PREFER AND WHY?

A - clear yellowish as in small map
B - darker parchment like as in large map

I personally prefer the clean look of the small map
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby captainwalrus on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:37 pm

with out the color codes and 888s it looks pretty bare, but that won't be on the smll map probably.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:45 pm

I have to say I prefer the darker version...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:59 pm

I can only find 3 divisions on the allied left flank as shown on the map. Is there a 4th one there I missed?

And I prefer the darker one too.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Danyael on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:49 pm

darker is best in my opinion
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby pamoa on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 am

TaCktiX wrote:I can only find 3 divisions on the allied left flank as shown on the map. Is there a 4th one there I missed?

3 russian infantry divisions + Kienmayer cavalry west of the villages = 4

WHICH BACKGROUND DO YOU PREFER AND WHY?

A - clear yellowish as in small map = 2 votes/5
B - darker parchment like as in large map = 3 votes/5

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by pamoa on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:37 am

Pamoa,

It's been a while since you've had any further feedback about the backgroudn colour - I think it's safe to assume that you should pick whichever you feel most happy with.

Once that's decided, I can't really see much else to comment on - you addressed all my other concerns earlier...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D,Gp] v06 18jul09

Postby pamoa on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:05 am

Ok I make a choice dark redish bg
so here it is

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D,Gp] v06 18jul

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:21 am

I'm happy with that...

Onwards and Upwards! =D>
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Well I have to say the GFX are very nice on this map. I really like the background, road, cities and how the header and legend blend well.

However, after that the map seems to get very complicated. Not from a GP perspective but from a general "what is going on" perspective.

Here are some things that trouble me:
    1) The legend says cavalry get to an attack range of 2. But it does not say what Cavalry are. I would include a small icon to better explain that.
    2) The bonus group naming and identification are VERY hard to understand.
    3) With Due to how the bonuses and names are laid out and colored, you might have a HUGE issue with colorblind players. Maybe instead of colors only there be ICONS for each side. That way they could more easily be understood. It might also help with the bonus names. Instead of having the brackets and names, what if one group had stars and the legend had star as well. Then colors would not matter. Use different shapes for each group. Squares, triangles, diamonds, circles, two vertical lines. plus sign, etc.

This is not a bad map it has just been overcomplicated IMO.

WM

P.S. French left flank is missing a "A"
Major WidowMakers

Postby pamoa on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:58 am

MrBenn wrote:I'm happy with that... [GRAPHIC STAMP] Onwards and Upwards!

I do thank you MrBenn

WidowMakers wrote:However, after that the map seems to get very complicated. Not from a GP perspective but from a general "what is going on" perspective.
1) The legend says cavalry get to an attack range of 2. But it does not say what Cavalry are. I would include a small icon to better explain that.
2) The bonus group naming and identification are VERY hard to understand.
3) With Due to how the bonuses and names are laid out and coloured, you might have a HUGE issue with colour-blind players. Maybe instead of colours only there be ICONS for each side. That way they could more easily be understood. It might also help with the bonus names. Instead of having the brackets and names, what if one group had stars and the legend had star as well. Then colours would not matter. Use different shapes for each group. Squares, triangles, diamonds, circles, two vertical lines. plus sign, etc.
This is not a bad map it has just been overcomplicated IMO.
P.S. French left flank is missing a "A"

thanks for dropping in and commenting VW
well if you fell confused from the general point of view then you get the feeling they had at that time on the battlefield
I also wanted it to give the feeling of map from that time when written language was much more important than graphic language as images were very difficult to produce
1 come on aren't icons enough clear to differentiate cavalry unit and infantry ones
2 sure it is not a map with geographical territories but they are placed in a normal reading order from left to right and up to down
3 well colour-blind people have mainly problems with shades not primary and if primary mainly with red/green so if you are fully colour-blind (seeing only greys) then all CC maps are in trouble
but you can still distinguish each side by the orientation of icons
about your idea of adding icons to troops icons well in a first non showed version of the map their were flag icons under troop numbers but it make the small map unreadable
and I think that a shape icon next to the troop icon with or without colour would make the map even more confusing
about being a complicated map well it is one and I'm not pretending making an easy one even if it may look like this at the first glimpse
last French left flank has been abbreviated in the small map as "FRENCH LEFT FLK"
Cadet pamoa

Postby grayhawke on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:56 am

Firstly, I like the background used. It's in keeping with the spirit of the map.

Secondly, congrats on getting the graphics stamp. =D>

Thirdly,
pamoa wrote:... last French left flank has been abbreviated in the small map as "FRENCH LEFT FLK"

Why not just remove the word "flank"? To speak of "French left", "French right", is perfectly good English.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:47 am

grayhawke wrote:Why not just remove the word "flank"? To speak of "French left", "French right", is perfectly good English.

If it's correct then I'll remove it in the maps and legend
anyone having an objection
Cadet pamoa

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D,Gp,Gr] v06 18jul

Postby pamoa on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:25 am

Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Final Forge

---The Austerlitz Map has reached the ‘Final Forge’ Stage. The map has passed rigorous gameplay and graphics examinations, and major concerns have been addressed. If you have any other concerns, please make your voice heard. If after a reasonable amount of time there has not been any objection or protest, the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. As long as there is still discussion or posts that have yet to be commented on, the map will remain in Final Forge until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Congrats pamoa =D>
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby grayhawke on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:36 pm

cairnswk wrote:Congrats pamoa =D>

Likewise =D>
Cadet grayhawke

Re: AUSTERLITZ [FF] v06 18jul

Postby pamoa on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:00 am

YES
thanks guys

any last comments ?
Cadet pamoa

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:45 am

8 pages :shock:

Small
Margaron — move 1px to the right (not that this is a pressing issue, but I see that you have them all aligned left on the line.

That's it. Jeez this is great!

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby pamoa on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:00 am

the.killing.44 wrote:8 pages :shock:
Small map: Margaron — move 1px to the right (not that this is a pressing issue, but I see that you have them all aligned left on the line.

8 pages is because my draft was almost my final map graphically
i'll fix margaron ( what an hawk eye! )
Cadet pamoa

Postby pamoa on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:02 am

Is everything all-right for you guys ?
may it go live ?
Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:11 am

the.killing.44 wrote:Small
Margaron — move 1px to the right (not that this is a pressing issue, but I see that you have them all aligned left on the line.

That's it. Jeez this is great!

Did you update the XML? That's the only thing holding this back now...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 am

off course !
Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Somehow I think this one slipped the net...

...any more for any more - or we ready to release this into the wild?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 pm

beta beta beta love
Cadet pamoa

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas