Conquer Club

CC News [Issue 14: 6-8-09] - Back to our Roots!

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC News [Issue 14: 6-8-09] - Back to our Roots!

Postby samuelc812 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 am

Issue #14:

Welcome to the 14th issue of the Conquer Club Newsletter!

Well we are back to our original graphics this issue, hope you enjoyed the summer graphics while they were on ;)

We have begun to use spoilers for each article, hopefully this makes it easier to browse each issue and just read what you wish to read ;)

We also have a Guest Editorial from elfish_lad, who gives a new recuits perspective into the World of Conquer Club.

We've also got Tournament and Foundry News and Night Strike answers another question in "Ask a Mod".

We hope you enjoy this issue ;)

samuelc812 - News Director

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

elfish_lad wrote:Hey. Nice job to you and others on the CC Newsletters. I've read them all in between turns over the last 10 days or so. Very informative for a new participant.

elfish_lad

show: Ask a Mod

show: Tournament News

show: Foundry News

Title: “Ten Days In And Not Bleeding To Death... Yet”
By: elfish_lad
show: Guest Editorial

Stay Tuned for the next issue of the Conquer Club Newsletter for an interview with Robinette! Post the questions for Robinette's interview in this thread --> Interview with Robinette

Submitting Your Own Articles

If you have a story you think the Conquer Club Community would find interesting, you can submit your articles to samuelc812 or gimil. If the CC News Team enjoy it than you may just see your article published in the Newsletter!

Subscription

Did you enjoy this Issue? Have you subscribed to the Newsletter yet?

If you want each and every issue of the Conquer Club Newsletter delivered right into your Inbox, then Subscibe Here!

Conquer Club News Team

samuelc812 - News Director
gimil - Advisor
Night Strike - Tournament Reporter & Ask a Mod Editor
thenobodies80 - Foundry Reporter
the.killing.44 - Foundry Reporter
jpcloet - Clan Reporter
ubersky - Suggs and Bugs Reporter
InsomniaRed - Community Opinion Reporter
elfish_lad - Guest Editorial
Captain samuelc812

Re: CC News [Issue 14: 6-8-09] - Back to our Roots!

Postby a.sub on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:39 pm

well done, good read
Cadet a.sub

Postby Titanic on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:46 am

That was enjoyable. Good job, especially to elf, nice article.
Major Titanic

Postby icedagger on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Loving the newsletter feedback section
Major icedagger

Postby owenshooter on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:48 am

great guest editorial!!! i like where the new recruit who wasn't around for flame wars and never saw the flame wars here, knows enough about flame wars to declare their omission a wonderful thing. wonder how he feels about the sneaky underhanded way it was done under the guise of a "joke" by an admin that was/is a figment of someone's imagination, and how he feels about some of the truly great threads that you can't even visit to see some of the great posts... yeah... let's solicit opinions from members about things they don't even know, as long as the further the CC kool-aid consumption... wow...-0

p.s.- a very nice pro CC article from a "member" with 1 completed game, and zero ongoing as of now... another made up CC Member?
Last edited by owenshooter on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby lord voldemort on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:01 am

owenshooter wrote:i like where the new recruit who wasn't around for flame wars and never saw the flame wars here, knows enough about flame wars to declare their omission a wonderful thing. wonder how he feels about the sneaky underhanded way it was done under the guise of a "joke" by an admin that was/is a figment of someone's imagination, and how he feels about some of the truly great threads that you can't even visit to see some of the great posts... yeah... let's solicit opinions from members about things they don't even know, as long as the further the CC kool-aid consumption... wow...-0

p.s.- a very nice pro CC article from a "member" with 1 completed game, and zero ongoing as of now... another made up CC Member?

rofl....
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Artimis on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:08 pm

samuelc812 wrote:Title: “Ten Days In And Not Bleeding To Death... Yet”
By: elfish_lad
show: Guest Editorial

Hooray for elfish_lad's mighty 4 posts! It's like reading an article written by a student that's been asked to comment on the Roman invasion of Western Europe, you weren't there so just exactly how are you expected to KNOW what it was like? How can you articulate what it was like to have the Roman legions marching through your village/town on the edict of this 'Emperor' that you've never heard of before? Particularly from a perspective that is skewed by 2000 years of history that's undoubtedly also been coloured by political bias.

Simply put, you can't.

This is not a criticism of you Elf, it's a criticism of the newsletter editorial team for picking you to pass comment on something you can't reasonably be expected to give an informed opinion on.

In My Humble Opinion
This is an attempt to gloss over the dissatisfaction of the forum visiting public with the removal of forums deemed by the management to be 'unsafe' and 'likely to cause controversy/trouble(possibly of a legal persuasion)'.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby jbrettlip on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:11 pm

I hope to be interviewed by archeology magazine this month. I will tell them how I know nothing about actual digs, but liked to dig in the sand on family vacations to the beach. I am sure my level of expertise will have the editor's chomping at the bit to get me involved.

Also if there is a tournament section in the CC news, why is there a separate tourney newsletter? Maybe they should all be combined, in order to actually make ONE newsletter rather than several.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby owenshooter on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Artimis wrote:Hooray for elfish_lad's mighty 4 posts!

oops, my bad, i looked up elf. regardless, i am sticking by my half-cocked comments, because they are still mostly correct/true, excluding the number of games played...-0

p.s.-brett, i am more well versed in the art of sandbox play, due to having a 5 year old. however, we tend to build dams and atom smashers in his box... guess i'll submit an article to popular mechanics...
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Night Strike on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:23 pm

jbrettlip wrote:Also if there is a tournament section in the CC news, why is there a separate tourney newsletter? Maybe they should all be combined, in order to actually make ONE newsletter rather than several.

There's also a Foundry section. They're both in the CC Newsletter so that people who only read this one can get information about the other areas of the site they don't visit. I'm going to keep it shorter than it has been in the past so that it doesn't look like a partial copy of the actual Tournament Newsletter.
Major Night Strike

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Good work! I enjoyed the Guest Editorial. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Qwert on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:20 pm

WidowMakers says goodbye
A bit of sad news in this issue, as we bid a tearful goodbye to the great mapmaker WidowMakers. He's been around since '06 and has pumped out 20 of the greatest maps that CC has seen in its 3-and-a-half-year history.

Hmm,im now 3 month retire from MapFoundry,and you dont put single word in Newsletter abouth that. Well its good to see how people care for mine work here,another good reason why im retire from map making.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:42 pm

qwert wrote:
WidowMakers says goodbye
A bit of sad news in this issue, as we bid a tearful goodbye to the great mapmaker WidowMakers. He's been around since '06 and has pumped out 20 of the greatest maps that CC has seen in its 3-and-a-half-year history.

Hmm,im now 3 month retire from MapFoundry,and you dont put single word in Newsletter abouth that. Well its good to see how people care for mine work here,another good reason why im retire from map making.

Issue #6:
the.killing.44 wrote:Departures/Vacations
If you didn't know, qwert, maker of your favorite WWII maps and Europe 1914, as well as the new Peloponnesian War map, is leaving the Foundry in exasperation of the long process. We all know he'll be missed, as it seems there's no persuading him to remain and keep pumping out great maps for CC.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Qwert on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:08 pm

mine mistake.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:17 pm

All you guys do is complain, at least some of us are trying to make a positive contribution to the community, the negative posts that always come from you, is probably the main reason why people don't use the forums. If you don't have something positive or constructive to say, how about leaving your thoughts to yourself.

Furthermore, elfish_lad sent that article to me asking if i would put it in the newsletter, i did not go to him asking if he'd give a new recruits perspective.

Regards,
samuelc812
Captain samuelc812

Postby Artimis on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:47 pm

samuelc812 wrote:All you guys do is complain, at least some of us are trying to make a positive contribution to the community, the negative posts that always come from you, is probably the main reason why people don't use the forums. If you don't have something positive or constructive to say, how about leaving your thoughts to yourself.

Furthermore, elfish_lad sent that article to me asking if i would put it in the newsletter, i did not go to him asking if he'd give a new recruits perspective.

Regards,
samuelc812

So by your logic:

Positive = Printing an uninformed article by someone who couldn't possibly know what Flame Wars was like because they joined well after it was removed.

Negative = Pointing out this glaring lack of actual experience for what it is.

The only way elfish_lad could possibly have any knowledge of Flame Wars is if he had been here under another account when Flame Wars was still around, making him a multi...... I can only imagine what an actual newspaper would read like if the editor was similarly blase when editing his reporters articles, what manner of street rag would such a newspaper be?

In my humble opinion, that article was a plant with a specific purpose to achieve. As for why players don't use the forum more often, I have a list for you:
    1> Don't know it's there.
    2> Can't be bothered with it.
    3> Don't find it interesting enough.

Captain Artimis

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:03 am

FYI, He knows about Flame Wars because he has read every edition of the CC Newsletter in between turns, in Issue 6 it clearly says in the Editor's Note about how Flame Wars was removed, hardly makes him a multi. Not to mention he has probably read the announcement made by Hyasri.

Regards,
samuelc812
Captain samuelc812

Postby GENERAL STONEHAM on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:38 am

samuelc812 wrote:FYI, He knows about Flame Wars because he has read every edition of the CC Newsletter in between turns, in Issue 6 it clearly says in the Editor's Note about how Flame Wars was removed, hardly makes him a multi. Not to mention he has probably read the announcement made by Hyasri.

Regards,
samuelc812

...oh, he read an edition of Flame Wars in a C.C. Newsletter....silly us.

PUHLEEEZE! Is that suppose to be comical?!? Yeah, the C.C Administration's viewpoint on Flame Wars.

That's like getting the viewpoint from Hitler and his Henchmen on racial purity and World War II

Of course, you're going to get some negative feedback on some noobie who reflects on Flame Wars and the evils associated with it. We can also expect back-slapping comments from the administrators about what a fine lad he is and low-blow comments from administrators who are thin-skinned about anything favoring Flame Wars.

Well...gotta go now, I just finished reading Mein Kampf and did you know that the Jews were responsible for the Germans losing World War I. Thank God I'm reading all this factual shit, otherwise, I'd be in the dark about these matters. Maybe I'll just start reading C.C. Newsletters and learn about......
Sergeant 1st Class GENERAL STONEHAM

Postby elfish_lad on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 am

Woo! Hoo! My first article!!! Sweet. Thanks guys.

Just a note to my detractors: I'm gone because I play softball over the summer. Be back to play here at CC at the end of August.

I wrote the article very tongue and cheek but also, as a regular poster at other boards (like the Onion's A.V. club) I thought the conversation at CC interesting about flame wars. I read a lot of posts about it here (too bad there isn’t an indicator on that… I would be far more interested in how many posts you read rather than how many you post) and thought I would give you an outsider’s thought.

Sorry to those of you who didn't think it appropriate of me to comment, but it is my right.

Nevertheless, I am a very real person who lives with his wife and kids in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. I have never been asked to do anything by the CC admin but gave my opinion. I have submitted two other articles (on other reflections by a newt on other topics) that you may or may not wish to read in the future (if they are published!).

Blessings to each of you in your life. Hope we get to play some time.

Sincerely,

Elf
Last edited by elfish_lad on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Artimis on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 am

elfish_lad wrote:Woo! Hoo! My first article!!! Sweet. Thanks guys.

Just a note to my detractors: I'm gone because I play softball over the summer. Be back to play here at CC at the end of August.

I wrote the article very tongue and cheek but also, as a regular poster at other boards (like the Onion's A.V. club) I thought the conversation at CC interesting about flame wars. I read a lot of posts about it here (too bad there isn’t an indicator on that… I would be far more interested in how many posts you read rather than how many you post) and thought I would give you an outsider’s thought.

Sorry to those of you who didn't think it appropriate of me to comment, but it is my right.

Nevertheless, I am a very real person who lives with his wife and kids in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. I have never been asked to do anything by the CC admin but gave my opinion. I have submitted two other articles (on other reflections by a newt on other topics) that you may wish to not read in the future.

Blessings to each of you in your life. Hope we get to play some time.

Sincerely,

Elf

Yeah, just as a psychic has the right to sue her plastic surgeon after her breast implants nullify her psychic powers..... :roll:

I reiterate, it's NOT you I'm disappointed with for printing the section on Flame Wars(for the most part anyway). It's the complete lack of editorial nous that let it slip through which got my goat.

Captain Artimis

Postby Night Strike on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:04 am

Artimis wrote:The only way elfish_lad could possibly have any knowledge of Flame Wars is if he had been here under another account when Flame Wars was still around, making him a multi...... I can only imagine what an actual newspaper would read like if the editor was similarly blase when editing his reporters articles, what manner of street rag would such a newspaper be?

He was cleared of being a multi. I asked for a check before the issue printed.
Major Night Strike

Postby Timminz on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:30 am

samuelc812 wrote:All you guys do is complain, at least some of us are trying to make a positive contribution to the community, the negative posts that always come from you, is probably the main reason why people don't use the forums. If you don't have something positive or constructive to say, how about leaving your thoughts to yourself.

Firstly, the bolded part is quite a gross generalization.

Secondly, what I'm understanding from this paragraph, is that negative feedback ("I don't like this. Here's why. Please do something better, such as...") is completely unwelcome, whereas positive feedback ("Yay! Good work. Keep it up. Nothing could be better.") is acceptable. If I have misunderstood somehow (and I hope that I have) please show me where, because otherwise it seems like you're saying that everything is being done absolutely perfectly, and that no opinion to the contrary is needed, or wanted, nor will they be paid any mind.

Again, I sincerely hope that that's not what you intended to say, but I honestly fear that it is, as that's the exact impression I have been getting from team CC over the past months.
Captain Timminz

Postby jpcloet on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 am

To my understanding, not one person who has made a constructive criticism, has submitted their own article. Be part of the solution and write an article! Looking forward to more community involvement.
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 am

Positive Feedback is always easier to handle than Negative Feedback, even if the Negative Feedback is intended to be informative and helpful. The Foundry has shown this over the years---literally hundreds and hundreds of examples.

However, some of the top maps to make it on Conquer Club had some of the best/worst debates and discussions going.

So whenever there is criticism, do take it into consideration. Even if it doesn't change anything, it will at least widen one's thoughts.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr Changsha on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:43 am

GENERAL STONEHAM wrote:
samuelc812 wrote:FYI, He knows about Flame Wars because he has read every edition of the CC Newsletter in between turns, in Issue 6 it clearly says in the Editor's Note about how Flame Wars was removed, hardly makes him a multi. Not to mention he has probably read the announcement made by Hyasri.

Regards,
samuelc812

...oh, he read an edition of Flame Wars in a C.C. Newsletter....silly us.

PUHLEEEZE! Is that suppose to be comical?!? Yeah, the C.C Administration's viewpoint on Flame Wars.

That's like getting the viewpoint from Hitler and his Henchmen on racial purity and World War II

Of course, you're going to get some negative feedback on some noobie who reflects on Flame Wars and the evils associated with it. We can also expect back-slapping comments from the administrators about what a fine lad he is and low-blow comments from administrators who are thin-skinned about anything favoring Flame Wars.

Well...gotta go now, I just finished reading Mein Kampf and did you know that the Jews were responsible for the Germans losing World War I. Thank God I'm reading all this factual shit, otherwise, I'd be in the dark about these matters. Maybe I'll just start reading C.C. Newsletters and learn about......

Lovely post.

However, too many more clever posts like this and...

Well you know how it goes.

With regards to the the article in question, I thought it was fairly well-written and there is nothing terribly wrong with a 'new guys perspective'. However, I would suggest the writer delves a little deeper than CC News to get a real handle on this place. For example, I spent a good month reading through the back pages of GD before I even ventured to make more than a quick comment or two in that forum.

I
Colonel Mr Changsha

Next

Return to Newsletter Issues