Conquer Club

Greenland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Greenland [Beta]

Postby neanderpaul14 on Sat May 30, 2009 9:49 pm

nice job 44 =D> =D> =D>
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Peter Gibbons on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:28 pm

I never post in the map foundry, but I follow it a lot. Have been looking forward to this map and absolutely love it.

One question, though (and I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread, but I'm going to be a bit lazy):

The -1 for the ice passes... was playing a game where I had only one army on one of the passes. At the beginning of my next turn, the game log said that I lost a troop for holding it, yet on the map, it remained my territory with one army there. So, is this a glitch? Was it supposed to revert back to a neutral? If it's NOT supposed to revert back to a neutral, is there anyway to amend the log so that it doesn't say "-1" in those situations (because, in a fog game, it's not true)?

Thanks. And again, thanks for this map!
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby sailorseal on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Peter Gibbons wrote:I never post in the map foundry, but I follow it a lot. Have been looking forward to this map and absolutely love it.

One question, though (and I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread, but I'm going to be a bit lazy):

The -1 for the ice passes... was playing a game where I had only one army on one of the passes. At the beginning of my next turn, the game log said that I lost a troop for holding it, yet on the map, it remained my territory with one army there. So, is this a glitch? Was it supposed to revert back to a neutral? If it's NOT supposed to revert back to a neutral, is there anyway to amend the log so that it doesn't say "-1" in those situations (because, in a fog game, it's not true)?

Not a glitch it is just that the log has to say it but you cannot lose the territory because it is not a killer neutral, just ignore it :)
Cook sailorseal

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:25 pm

sailorseal wrote:
Peter Gibbons wrote:I never post in the map foundry, but I follow it a lot. Have been looking forward to this map and absolutely love it.

Not a glitch it is just that the log has to say it but you cannot lose the territory because it is not a killer neutral, just ignore it :)

Yes, on any map with this feature (Dust Bowl, Oasis, etc.) you lose it down to 1 of your own troops. It's just the way the game engine works.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby perchorin on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:38 pm

First off I want to say how much I love this map, it's already become one of my favorites. That said, I'm really unhappy with the recent change of starting with 11 territories instead of 10 in a one versus one game. Now there is too much of an advantage to going first, all you have to do is take a single territory and the game almost hinges on the second players first move, especially in no spoils games. I disagree with the earlier poster who said there were too many neutrals, it was perfect before in my honest opinion. Just hope you can give it some more thought, thanks!
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 pm

perchorin wrote:First off I want to say how much I love this map, it's already become one of my favorites. That said, I'm really unhappy with the recent change of starting with 11 territories instead of 10 in a one versus one game. Now there is too much of an advantage to going first, all you have to do is take a single territory and the game almost hinges on the second players first move, especially in no spoils games. I disagree with the earlier poster who said there were too many neutrals, it was perfect before in my honest opinion. Just hope you can give it some more thought, thanks!

Thanks for your feedback:

In what way do you feel 11 starting terts is worse than 10? If it was 12 I would understand because of the dropping number, but with 11 nothing changes except the number of territories themselves, not affecting the drop.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby perchorin on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:25 am

the.killing.44 wrote:
perchorin wrote:First off I want to say how much I love this map, it's already become one of my favorites. That said, I'm really unhappy with the recent change of starting with 11 territories instead of 10 in a one versus one game. Now there is too much of an advantage to going first, all you have to do is take a single territory and the game almost hinges on the second players first move, especially in no spoils games. I disagree with the earlier poster who said there were too many neutrals, it was perfect before in my honest opinion. Just hope you can give it some more thought, thanks!

Thanks for your feedback:

In what way do you feel 11 starting terts is worse than 10? If it was 12 I would understand because of the dropping number, but with 11 nothing changes except the number of territories themselves, not affecting the drop.

Yeah I don't think I explained my thought clearly. I was absolutely loving this map for 1:1 no spoils speed games, but since the change whoever goes first just has to take a single territory to have a 12 to 10 advantage. So the player who goes second must take an enemy territory on his first turn or else the game is essentially lost. The way it was before, regardless of what the starting player did his first turn short of completing a region bonus, the second player could follow his own game plan still rather than simply reacting to player one. Thus, I believe there was more strategy involved with ten starting terts and it's one of the main reasons I liked this map. It's entirely possible that I'm the only one who feels this way so feel free to ignore me if you like, but take a look at my map rank for Greenland if you want a good laugh...I won the first TEN games in a row on that map, then proceeded to lose the next 11 out of 14 ](*,) coinciding with this particular change :cry:
Anyway thanks for listening and again, great job overall!
Major perchorin

Postby saaimen on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:39 am

Well...
A lot of maps have the standard 14 starting territories. Pretty much same story there, I think...
Do you also feel those would be better if you started with 13 territories?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby perchorin on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:49 am

saaimen wrote:Well...
A lot of maps have the standard 14 starting territories. Pretty much same story there, I think...
Do you also feel those would be better if you started with 13 territories?

I might. I wouldn't even bring it up though except for the fact that this one was originally 10 not 11 and it's still in Beta. Personally I think that only adds strength to my argument, because why be the same as a lot of other maps?
Major perchorin

Postby saaimen on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 am

I don't think it's TRYING to be the same as a lot of other maps. So that's not an issue, nor an argument.
It's up to the mapmakers, but IMHO 11 is fine.
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby iancanton on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:50 pm

u could put up a poll asking whether each person ought to start with 10 or 11 regions. however, unless we have a clear majority one way or the other, i'm happy for u to rely on ur gut feel as to what is better.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby perchorin on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:47 pm

iancanton wrote:u could put up a poll asking whether each person ought to start with 10 or 11 regions. however, unless we have a clear majority one way or the other, i'm happy for u to rely on ur gut feel as to what is better.

ian. :)

A poll is a good idea! I'm not even sure if that many other people care one way or another but I'd love to find out. Thanks for listening .44!
Major perchorin

Re: Greenland [Beta] - poll, 10 or 11 starting positions?

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:54 pm

I love the 11 spots. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Personally I like 11 better, just for less neutrals, but I'll keep MO out of it. I'd love more input! :)

Captain the.killing.44

Postby Danyael on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Personally I like 11 better, just for less neutrals, but I'll keep MO out of it. I'd love more input! :)

i concur
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby oaktown on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:54 am

When it comes to rolling dice and getting opening drops this is a game of luck. If you have better luck than your opponent, you are likely to win. A mapmaker can try to eliminate the conditions that lead to lucky starts, but once the game begins there's little we can do about it.

That said, I think that coding Peary Land to eliminate the possibility of somebody starting with a bonus is the right move. Once a 1v1 game begins player 1 will have to beat a 3 with a six to up his territories to 12, and player 2 will have to beat a 3 with a 6 to knock his opponent's territory count back down to 11. Both players have the same odds of success.

If that's the only concern about this map, I think we can stick a fork in it pretty soon and call it done.
Captain oaktown

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:51 pm

oaktown wrote:When it comes to rolling dice and getting opening drops this is a game of luck. If you have better luck than your opponent, you are likely to win. A mapmaker can try to eliminate the conditions that lead to lucky starts, but once the game begins there's little we can do about it.

That said, I think that coding Peary Land to eliminate the possibility of somebody starting with a bonus is the right move. Once a 1v1 game begins player 1 will have to beat a 3 with a six to up his territories to 12, and player 2 will have to beat a 3 with a 6 to knock his opponent's territory count back down to 11. Both players have the same odds of success.

If that's the only concern about this map, I think we can stick a fork in it pretty soon and call it done.

I gotta concur with everything you said. :)

Captain the.killing.44

Postby cjd411 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:16 pm

just wanted to say this is a great map... just as it is right now is perfect! thank you!
Corporal cjd411

Postby iancanton on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Poll Results

How many starting positions would you like?

10 for each player... 12... 46%
11 for each player... 14... 54%

Total votes... 26
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby superkeener on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:19 am

AWESOME map, i really enjoy playing on it, especially with Fog on, it's makes it kinda creepy (but fun) imo
Lieutenant superkeener

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:23 am

superkeener wrote:AWESOME map, i really enjoy playing on it, especially with Fog on, it's makes it kinda creepy (but fun) imo

Not as creepy as your avatar :lol: but thanks :)

Captain the.killing.44

Postby MrBenn on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:39 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Greenland Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

ImageCongratulations the.killing.44, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Greenland [Quenched]

Postby GeneralFault on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 am

played the map today, for the first time.

absolutely loved it ! It has a beautiful design.

thanks for the hard work
Cook GeneralFault

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:03 am

GeneralFault wrote:played the map today, for the first time.

absolutely loved it ! It has a beautiful design.

thanks for the hard work

Thank you very much General, glad you like it :)
Captain the.killing.44

Postby colton24 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:21 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> nice job killing!
Highest Rank: Lieutenant | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!

Been around for too long...said things that shouldn't have been said...but all that has changed
Corporal 1st Class colton24

Previous

Return to The Atlas