Conquer Club

The HIVE [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Jumbo Hex Map *V2*

Postby mattosaurus on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:48 am

Oh yeah, I forgot comments on the actual map, first, I'm glad you're keeping it simple. Keep it that way. You might make it better by making it a bit more visually appealing though, with a cool name. You could call it Hex Wars, Battle of the Hexagons, Honeycomb, or something else similar. That would get more interest and attract more people. Maybe change it from a white background. I'd still use a neutral color, such as black, or something. I think the font is good though, it fits in the Hex/ programming type theme. If you change the theme to a honeycomb idea the font and things will probably need to change, but hey, that's doable right? The Lines between territories are hard to see in all but the purple color. That might be something to work on as well.
Check out my map in the making: Testosterone VS Estrogen
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=85196
Sergeant 1st Class mattosaurus

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:06 am

I personally think the map would have more appeal if it had some sort of graphical hook to it... something like Pixel World would have a lot more potential.

Here's my take on the direction that I would want to take the map, if it were my project... you could still break the continents up into smaller regions, and represent them using variegated colours, but this is my 5-minute interpretation...
show
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 pm

I am looking into Mr Benns idea. Basically I would try to keep the same layout but edit how I do the borders.

Right now the names are: A1-20 --- S1-S20

My idea is to name them based on the continent the occupy:

N. America = N
S. Americ = S
Europe = E
Africa = F
Oceania = O
Asia = A

Water would be :
Pacific = P
Atlantic = L
Indian = I
Arctic = T

Then I would sub divide them based on countries/regions by 3-9 hexes per and bonuses accordingly
Then entire regions (similar to World 2.1)

But i need to figure out how to make the oceans not over power the land since there is much more.
I think this will probably require the loss of at least 1 row of hexes but we shall see.

I don't really want to but it is apparent that this map is not popular in its current form.
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:53 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 pm

What a shame. I liked the idea behind this map. I'd never have the patience to play it, but I liked the idea.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby killerpit4e on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:What a shame. I liked the idea behind this map. I'd never have the patience to play it, but I liked the idea.

you would have to speak to WM as he was the one doing the grafis
Private 1st Class killerpit4e

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:55 pm

killerpit4e wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:What a shame. I liked the idea behind this map. I'd never have the patience to play it, but I liked the idea.

you would have to speak to WM as he was the one doing the grafis
It died because people did not like the "no Theme" idea.

Its theme was TONS OF TERRITORIES.

I will start it up again if there are people who want a map with large numbers of territories with standard GP but no story/theme but good luck finding them.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:29 pm

WidowMakers wrote:

I will start it up again if there are people who want a map with large numbers of territories with standard GP but no story/theme but good luck finding them.

WM

I am absolutely confident that there will be plenty of people willing to play this map if it's released to the general CC population.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

WM

I am absolutely confident that there will be plenty of people willing to play this map if it's released to the general CC population.

Well if you can figure a way to get people into here and support it, i will finish it. But the initial response was less than enthusiastic towards a non-themed map.

I am all ears for any ideas you might have as to get support. Plus the thing is, the map is almost done. All that is needed is a bit of border discussion and an agreement on the bonuses. Then the HUGE XML project.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby killerpit4e on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:14 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

WM

Well if you can figure a way to get people into here and support it, i will finish it. But the initial response was less than enthusiastic towards a non-themed map.

I am all ears for any ideas you might have as to get support. Plus the thing is, the map is almost done. All that is needed is a bit of border discussion and an agreement on the bonuses. Then the HUGE XML project.

WM

me and Evil DIMwit could do the xml and you could do the grx
Private 1st Class killerpit4e

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:13 am

killerpit4e wrote:
me and Evil DIMwit could do the xml and you could do the grx
No killer, you would get to do teh XML. I am not worried about that. All i am saying is that there needs to be people who want this map. 4 or 5 is not good enough for me.

Get more people in here and have them post on the idea and if there are enough who like it, then I will keep going.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:26 am

Just for yuks I tried to see how long the XML for this map would take me. Just about four hours flat. Now popular support is your only problem :D
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Donkey on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:20 pm

I look forward to seeing this map in action!
Former Dragoon...
Brigadier Donkey

Postby jackin_u_up on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Bigger is Better...isn't that what all the Chicks say ?
Sergeant 1st Class jackin_u_up

Postby BoganGod on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm a lazy prick so haven't read through 3pages of comments. Suggestion for themes "Battleships" after that "board game" Make some of the larger areas aircraft carriers, smallest ones subs or life rafts, etc. :D
Corporal BoganGod

Postby azezzo on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:25 pm

sorry, its an ugly map
Captain azezzo

Postby HighlanderAttack on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:25 pm

I would play it for sure.

I think it is a map that would not be good for 1v1 because whoever went first would win.

I think the bonus structure may be too high, as first turn players are likely to get bonuses and break second player bonuses. (I would do bonuses 1-2-3-4-5 instead of the 3-6-9-12-15.

Just my thought. Good Luck
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:27 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:I would play it for sure.

I think it is a map that would not be good for 1v1 because whoever went first would win.

I think the bonus structure may be too high, as first turn players are likely to get bonuses and break second player bonuses. (I would do bonuses 1-2-3-4-5 instead of the 3-6-9-12-15.

Just my thought. Good Luck
The territory bonus is capped at 10 (see teh legend)

If a player had no bonuses at teh beginning (which I think we can make sure of with XML) they would only get 10 armies
Major WidowMakers

Postby Lindax on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:28 pm

I like the idea.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby khazalid on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:29 pm

nice WM, this will be a blast on unlimited.
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby wolfpack0530 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 pm

for asthetics, what about trying to bring in a certain level of 3-D. With certain groups of hexs raised or lowered vs their neighbors. maybe all of your impassable lines could be changed to different tiers. you can attack a tier 1 above or below you, but not a 2 tier difference. The impassable boundries could represent regions that are seperated by more than 1 tier of height.

Personally, I am colorblind, so I would liketo see more bright and vibrant colors that arent to similar in shade (like the europe 1914 map). Right now, the coloring looks alot like the colors chosen for gilgamesh, and it just seems a little drab. But that is just me.

I love mega maps, and good luck with this one. This reminds me of a question i have about conquerman. Since it is so big, my computer has a hard time loading it. I actually have to turn BOB off because there is soo much information on that map. do you see anything like this resulting from your map?? Is there a way to make a map with 300+ terts, and keep the information level down so that it doesnt bring my CC experience to a crawl :)
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 pm

I reckon plenty of players would be interested in playing - would make for some good Battle Royales too.

I dont imagine games would be too quick :lol:

But I do imagine build-up wouldn't be so much of a problem. :D

Go for it - it will be something very different.

It just needs a name- The Desert? The Eternal Desert? The Uncharted Planet?

The rest of the setting is up to the players' (and tournament organisers') imagination.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:34 pm

Ehhh, to be honest after looking at it again I don't see the appeal in an unthemed map. Sorry =\
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby wolfpack0530 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Also,

Has anyone played RISK on the original sony playstation?? It had like 3 mega maps on it (the only one on this site is Europe). But the PS 1 game had Asia and Americas (with carribean) both were well over 250 terts. They were themed, balanced, and pretty damn fun. The game is oop, so you will have to get it on ebay or something.
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby angola on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Looks like a pretty cool idea, especially with the territory bonus cap. That would make it much more about strategy.
Captain angola

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas