Conquer Club

The HIVE [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Jumbo Hex Map *V2*

Postby Kinnison on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:53 pm

For Battle Royales, I don't think this can be topped. They don't happen often, but this will be VERY popular for them.

I'd like to see it made in the current (4 sep 09) format. I don't mind the simple graphics... Classic Art and classic shapes are about as simple as it gets.

From the simple 'limits' standpoint, I like the idea. It is ALWAYS a good thing to push the boundary, and see where it lies. If this requires a "no story" map, I can handle ONE in all the maps that CC has right now. I think this idea has legs.

The 10 max bonus for terrs is not bad, but it does leave little impetus for an initial rapid expansion, since there's no chance of injuring an opponent for a LONG time, even in an 8-player game. Perhaps raising it to, say, 12. Taking 7 from someone with a 12 drop yourself is unlikely, even if you pick up, say, a 3 and a 5 bonus on drop... 23 to kill 21 would require a great deal of luck.

Wile extra bonuses are more likely with fewer players, it gets even harder to break a max territory bonus, as the padding gets greater.

I can see running this as Chained/Escalating with 6 or more players... Unlimited would give a HUGE advantage to the first couple of players to go...

I'd play it. Not constantly or anything, but sure. I don't see it as a 1v1 map, or anything like that. But teams and 8-man games, easily.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby Silver- on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:02 pm

I can't wait to play on this map...

A few comments:
  • To make it fair for all players in turn 1, territory bonus should start at round 2 only.
  • Not sure we want to block bonus for number of territories to 10.
    - May be a concept like the "Conquer Man" map should be used.
  • Territory naming suggestion:
    - All territories in same group start with same letter and number increment by 1 for each territory.
    - When letter Z is reach, the following one are AA, BB, ...
  • Did you test a number of armies with 3 digits (ex. 100) on a territory?
    - Is there a need for 4 digits (ex. 1000)?
Major Silver-

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:08 pm

sully800 wrote:I like the gameplay I laid out in my giant map project much better than this map. My scheme contained 312 territories compared to this 350, but it included many theme possibilities and the unique gameplay of neutral army walls. Perhaps we should consider combining the two ideas? After all, I only started my Huge map when I thought you had given up on yours.

viewtopic.php?f=241&t=94195

Plenty of room for both, Sully. I'm sure if people are interested in this map they'd be interested in yours too.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Shabel on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:09 pm

if you go with the current map diagram....i would call it Killer Bee Hive.
Sergeant 1st Class Shabel

Postby The Cheat on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:13 pm

The more the merrier, I say ... and I'd play it (what wouldn't I play?), but I would design it as either something very large (quadrant of galaxy), or something very small (element, compound, or protein at the microscopic level) ... I'm sure there are other ideas, and I haven't read what's posted ... just a vote and my initial thoughts.

Good luck!
Lieutenant The Cheat

Postby Gamefreakguy on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:22 pm

Shabel wrote:if you go with the current map diagram....i would call it Killer Bee Hive.

Ooo, a beehive is a very nice idea.
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Advantage of the game starter

Postby tale_v on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:28 pm

In a map as big as this one, whouldn't the advantage of playing first be too much?
It depends on the amount of terts each player gets at the starting point, but with so many terts in the map - it can easily be tens of troops in the first turn.
The second player may never have a fair shot.

Once the game turns into one player's favour - it will be very hard to turn around. And there may be A LOT of turns of "garbage time".
Lieutenant tale_v

Re: Advantage of the game starter

Postby danfrank on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 pm

tale_v wrote:In a map as big as this one, whouldn't the advantage of playing first be too much?
It depends on the amount of terts each player gets at the starting point, but with so many terts in the map - it can easily be tens of troops in the first turn.
The second player may never have a fair shot.

Once the game turns into one player's favour - it will be very hard to turn around. And there may be A LOT of turns of "garbage time".

Well, i seriously doubt this will be a two player speed map. i say this simply because theres an enormous amount of territories to wipe out in five minutes. i voted yes which is clearly the majority..
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby sartre2007 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:01 am

!
Last edited by sartre2007 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant sartre2007

Re: Jumbo Hex Map

Postby 3seven1 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:05 am

cena-rules wrote:I think the dark impassables should be made darker as I personally am having a hard time picking them out.
Also the node borders should be explained more. DO they only connect to other nodes or normal terrs as well?

I think they should be white impassable borders instead of black. They stand out better if they were the same color of the backgrond.
Corporal 1st Class 3seven1

Postby Calaador on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 am

this map looks crazy, but mabye much fun too :)

nothing for speedgames ;)
Lieutenant Calaador

Postby X_Riggs on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:12 am

there must be some passage to go from on side to other, and maybe some capitols whith huge bonus.
Private 1st Class X_Riggs

Postby lundrball on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:14 am

As far as a theme, kinda reminds me of a Gauntlet map for some reason.
Sergeant 1st Class lundrball

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:17 am

=D> Voted YES!!! That is one hell of a map. Cannot see anything wrong with it. As for theme, none needed. Any chance of getting more than the normal 9 players on the board?

Bring on this carnage :lol:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndrewB on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:29 am

Please, PLEASE! LET THIS MAP LEAVE! (sorry for shouting)
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby fapostolo on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:47 am

I vote yes although i hate hexadecimal playgrounds ehehe in this case i make exception :)
Lieutenant fapostolo

Postby chuck_thunder on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:51 am

Looks like heaps of fun! I like the nodes for crossing the map.

I don't like the terr bonus cap of 10 though. I can see this would be needed in 2-3 player games, but i think it would diminish the gameplay in 5-8 player games, which i think is the main point of a huge map like this.

I like the beehive name someone suggested too.
Lieutenant chuck_thunder

Postby MadagascarAdam on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:09 am

Just giving my two cents:

I like it, and I think I'd play it in form because I like large-territory-number (traditional-style) maps and I don't think there are nearly enough on Conquer Club.

However, I agree with someone else who said they don't like the territory bonus cap. I don't particularly like it either. There are lots of maps where you can go over 30 territories and grabbing the bonus from that can be just as much a strategy for getting to the top and staying on top as it would be to try grabbing and holding region bonuses. As I said, I'd still play it either way, but if there are THAT many territories, then there should be either no cap, or maybe raise the bonus cap up to 50 or 60 or something.

Also, it looks pretty ugly in its present form. Themed maps just look nice and that's a big encouragement towards making a person want to play them... at least for me. I'm fine with it if it doesn't look like real land or anything, but I'd much rather play something (repeatedly) with some sort of graphical theme or at least some graphical pizazz. Another person suggested a beehive and I think that's a great idea. It won't significantly change your current map, but it would require a graphical overall. You could give the hexes a slight 3D relief look to them and make the primary colors yellow, though maintaining your current overlaying color scheme for region types. Then put a bit of honey dripping here and there (maybe the nodes) and a few bees scattered around the edges and you'll have a great theme that could really enhance the map (and the desire for replay).

Either way, good luck! I'm sure I'll be playing this one for at least a couple of team games even if you don't make any changes!
Major MadagascarAdam

Postby aglenist on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:13 am

Good idea

I know you have said that you are keeping graphics down to allow a large map but I would like to see basic graphics like mountains or rivers for impassable?

Also, will this map allow more than the current maximum of players?
Corporal 1st Class aglenist

Postby Lufsen75 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:13 am

I am sorry but I cant see how this map will be fair in any kind of way.

so I voted NO
Corporal 1st Class Lufsen75

Postby onbekende on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:29 am

this be :o

do want
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby kallysdead on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 am

if your looking for a subject maybe local farmers war would be good, all you'd have to do is change the colour, say yellow for the hey farmers and so on and so on, I was recently thinking how interesting a town to town map would ben, not divided by rivers or mountains just the boardering local town! that would be really fun!
Cook kallysdead

Postby ARTY247 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:46 am

it's huge , but i like it. i agree on the borders , a bit more darker to distinguish.should be fun playing quads
Lieutenant ARTY247

Postby Blackwave on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:52 am

Ofc I would need to give it a play first to determine whether it is the map-type I prefer, so bring it out and let's see... ;) Is there no way for you to determine how many games are played on a specific map to determine its popularity?

...as for theme. Yes, it does look a bit plain and for me it would look nicer if it was themed. It doesn't have to be anything special, just a few more graphics to spruce it up :)
Captain Blackwave

Postby pitheas on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:03 am

Voted "yes" but i agree that the borders need work.For example territories that give 1 extra bonus could have only 1 entrance, those with 3 bonus could have 1-2 etc and finally the 10 bonus areas with no blocking borders at all.It's difficult, i know but its just an idea.
Sergeant 1st Class pitheas

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas