Conquer Club

[GO] Fog Confirmation Round

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GO] Fog Confirmation Round

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:25 am

Concise description:
  • Allow each player to see a foggy game before it starts

Specifics:
  • Have a 24-hour pre-round in fog games, where every player has to click "Confirm" before the game starts

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Allows players to see the conditions before the game starts
  • Stops game-join delay tactics, speeding up tournament games

FOR ALL THE KIND GENTLEMEN WHO CANNOT READ, HERE'S THE DUMMIES VERSION

When EVERYONE has joined the game, there is a 24 hour period where you get to view the game. After that, the game starts. You can't drop out of the game, you can't exit it, you can't pick and flowering choose.

Have a "confirm" button built in, so if everyone has SEEN the map before it starts and clicks the button, then it can start BEFORE the 24 hour period.

Bejesus some people are kind gentlemen...
Last edited by JamesKer1 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Cookies are better than offensive words
Captain e_i_pi

Re: Suggestion: Fog Confirmation Round

Postby Captain_Scarlet on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:38 am

but if you dont like your drop you can just decline correct?
Sergeant 1st Class Captain_Scarlet

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:06 am

Captain_Scarlet wrote:but if you dont like your drop you can just decline correct?

Well you could just make it a 24 hour viewing period, and you click confirm if you've seen it, if you don't click confirm, tough luck, you're in whether you like it or not, and normal deadbeat rules apply
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Captain_Scarlet on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 am

e_i_pi wrote:
Captain_Scarlet wrote:but if you dont like your drop you can just decline correct?

Well you could just make it a 24 hour viewing period, and you click confirm if you've seen it, if you don't click confirm, tough luck, you're in whether you like it or not, and normal deadbeat rules apply

you miss my point

you want to be able to see the random drop BEFORE you join

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:50 am

Captain_Scarlet wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:

you miss my point

He amended his point... to say that 24 viewing to see what is in the fog.. Personally I think fog is ok. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby MeDeFe on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:47 am

Maybe this could be an option, but I think fog is fine as it is.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Thezzaruz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Captain_Scarlet wrote:you miss my point

Nah, allowing people to drop the game if they think they've got a bad drop is a stupid idea.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby Kotaro on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Why not just play Sunny?
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby neanderpaul14 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:16 pm

maybe we could have a choice to see our dice rolls prior to accepting them as well :P :P :P
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby alex951 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm

neanderpaul14 wrote:maybe we could have a choice to see our dice rolls prior to accepting them as well :P :P :P

that would be the greatest upgrade every well.. at least one of the greatest.
Corporal alex951

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:54 am

Captain_Scarlet wrote:you miss my point

You missed mine. F-

Thezzaruz wrote:Nah, allowing people to drop the game if they think they've got a bad drop is a stupid idea.

You also missed the point. F--

Kotaro wrote:Why not just play Sunny?

The perennial naysayer and troll has also missed the point. G---

neanderpaul14 wrote:maybe we could have a choice to see our dice rolls prior to accepting them as well :P :P :P

My lord, another who has missed the point. I'm not even grading this one

alex951 wrote:that would be the greatest upgrade every well.. at least one of the greatest.

...and a thread-derailing post. Congratulations Legion of the Demented, yet again you've demonstrated the irresistible object that collective human stupidity is. Go vote for George W Bush
Captain e_i_pi

Postby slowreactor on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:02 am

Let me rephrase this entire thing better:

What e_i_pi wants is to let everyone SEE where everyone else is before the game begins, so you can plan your strategy around it. You can also be ready for any surprise bonuses that may spring up.
Colonel slowreactor

Postby Captain_Scarlet on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:44 am

and you have adjusted your original post since I pointed out the flaw in your suggestion :roll:

If you dont like foggy DONT PLAY IT

we dont need to confirm we want to play fog anymore than we need to confirm any other setting

actually you are taking the fun out of the fog option with your suggestion and reducing the attacker risk and changing the dynamics of the game negatively

Postby Thezzaruz on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:46 am

e_i_pi wrote:
Thezzaruz wrote:Nah, allowing people to drop the game if they think they've got a bad drop is a stupid idea.

You also missed the point. F--

Actually I didn't, I just didn't offer an opinion about your suggestion but rather noted that scarletts suggestion was crap. ;)
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby neanderpaul14 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:14 am

slowreactor wrote:Let me rephrase this entire thing better:

What e_i_pi wants is to let everyone SEE where everyone else is before the game begins, so you can plan your strategy around it. You can also be ready for any surprise bonuses that may spring up.

Ummmm so let me get this straight...... What he is suggesting is a chance to view all the deployments prior to having the fog close over the battlefield??? And then decide whether or not you wish to play in that particular game????

This is absurd on so many different levels. First of all viewing a foggy with the fog lifted, even just in the first round, will totally defeat the purpose of playing fog. Secondly, and most important, viewing the deployments of a game and then deciding whether you wish to play it or not is completely ridiculous. Why would anyone ever accept a deployment that they deemed to be less than 100% to their advantage???
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:20 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:

Ummmm so let me get this straight...... What he is suggesting is a chance to view all the deployments prior to having the fog close over the battlefield??? And then decide whether or not you wish to play in that particular game????

This is absurd on so many different levels. First of all viewing a foggy with the fog lifted, even just in the first round, will totally defeat the purpose of playing fog. Secondly, and most important, viewing the deployments of a game and then deciding whether you wish to play it or not is completely ridiculous. Why would anyone ever accept a deployment that they deemed to be less than 100% to their advantage???

that is not what he is saying at all.
He is suggesting that prior to being allowed to take your turn there is a 24 hour period where people can see the whole board then after that 24 hours it is back to normal fog. It makers it so you know where they start, but you still have to try to track them through the fog after that. There is no option to not join the game if you don't like the drop.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Kotaro on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:44 am

Which, of course, is doable if you play Sunny. Fog is meant to make it so you can't see them, hence the entire point of Fog.

and yet another derailing, flame post by the maker of the thread. Congratulations e_i_pi, for once again being unable to not troll/flame in your own thread.

Fail poster is fail.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 am

Kotaro wrote:

Which, of course, is doable if you play Sunny. Fog is meant to make it so you can't see them, hence the entire point of Fog.

and yet another derailing, flame post by the maker of the thread. Congratulations e_i_pi, for once again being unable to not troll/flame in your own thread.

Fail poster is fail.

Eum, no. There is a strategy that in a tourney game, private gameā€”any game to which you are invited or have a reservation or passwordā€”you wait until both teammates are on, your opponents have gone off, and you take the turn and play. This disallows the opposing team(s) to see the initial drop and where they were, and if the team is good enough to play like this, they leave the board as 3's, leaving the opposing team(s) wondering what was taken.

It's cheap, and this would be a way to combat it. So I like the suggestion, maybe as an option. And I don't get how people read this to see that you have the option to drop: YOU ARE STUCK IN THE GAME NO MATTER WHAT. THE ONLY THING THE CONFIRM BUTTON DOES IS LET THE GAME ENGINE KNOW YOU ARE THERE.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby MudPuppy on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:07 pm

This is an excellent suggestion. It's ridiculous to be able to lose regions before taking your initial turn without first getting the intel from those regions, including where your troops were when they got killed. Everyone should have the option of looking at the foggy board before the first move is made to maintain a more equitable start to the game. A confirmation round, preferably in freestyle format (i.e., you don't have to confirm in play order for sequential games), would be a very welcome addition to foggy games.
Colonel MudPuppy

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:00 am

Captain_Scarlet wrote:and you have adjusted your original post since I pointed out the flaw in your suggestion :roll:

Because I stated that as a possible extension. In retrospect, it probably wasn't a great idea, so rather than have the thread derailed in usual fashion by people carrying on about something irrelevant, I removed it. Here's some rolle eyes back at ya :roll:

we dont need to confirm we want to play fog anymore than we need to confirm any other setting. actually you are taking the fun out of the fog option with your suggestion and reducing the attacker risk and changing the dynamics of the game negatively

It isn't confirmation to play fog, nor is it changing fog. It is allowing the players a 24 hour viewing period so they can see where THEIR territories are prior to starting the game.

neanderpaul14 wrote:Ummmm so let me get this straight...... What he is suggesting is a chance to view all the deployments prior to having the fog close over the battlefield???

No, I am suugesting that you should be able to see your OWN territories before the game starts.

neanderpaul14 wrote:And then decide whether or not you wish to play in that particular game????

No, not at all, you're making that up. The "confirm" would simply be there to speed up the 24 hour period - if everyone has seen their initial drop in the first 24 hours, why should everyone have to wait the full 24 hours. If it's a 1v1, and both players see their drop 5 minutes after the game fills up, what's the point in waiting another 23h55m?

captainwalrus wrote:He is suggesting that prior to being allowed to take your turn there is a 24 hour period where people can see the whole board then after that 24 hours it is back to normal fog.

Not quite. There would be no Sunny period at the start, simply a viewing period to see your own territories before they are taken off you.

Kotaro wrote:--snip--

You don't like the thread, go elsewhere.

the.killing.44 wrote:It's cheap, and this would be a way to combat it. So I like the suggestion, maybe as an option. And I don't get how people read this to see that you have the option to drop: YOU ARE STUCK IN THE GAME NO MATTER WHAT. THE ONLY THING THE CONFIRM BUTTON DOES IS LET THE GAME ENGINE KNOW YOU ARE THERE.

Finally, someone who gets it. Magical chocolate cakes are in the post as we speak.

MudPuppy wrote:This is an excellent suggestion. It's ridiculous to be able to lose regions before taking your initial turn without first getting the intel from those regions, including where your troops were when they got killed. Everyone should have the option of looking at the foggy board before the first move is made to maintain a more equitable start to the game. A confirmation round, preferably in freestyle format (i.e., you don't have to confirm in play order for sequential games), would be a very welcome addition to foggy games.

Ah, two people who get it. Cupcakes for you too MP.

The naysayers of the thread should read what these guys posted and try to understand a little of what I mean... it's pretty simple...

A 24 hour period before the game starts where you can see your own territories. You can't drop the game, you can't see anyone elses territories, you just get to see your own before they're taken off you, as once the game starts every territory shows up as '?' in the game log.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:01 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:Ummmm so let me get this straight......

Good idea.

What he is suggesting is a chance to view all the deployments prior to having the fog close over the battlefield???

Correct.

And then decide whether or not you wish to play in that particular game????

Not correct.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby MudPuppy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:42 am

At least with the new manual troop placement setting we now effectively have a confirmation round to see the map before fighting starts on foggy days. Now if only something similar would be implemented for automatic fog games.
Colonel MudPuppy

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:08 am

MudPuppy wrote:At least with the new manual troop placement setting we now effectively have a confirmation round to see the map before fighting starts on foggy days. Now if only something similar would be implemented for automatic fog games.

Exactly. It would be nice if a mod would pop in here and have a look. It's simply a matter of activating confirmation round for Fog of War games. Just one 24 hour period before the game starts to allow people to see their deployments
Captain e_i_pi

Round 1 Ready Button (For Fog Games)

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:40 am

Round 1 Ready Button (For Fog Games)

Concise description:

A Round 1 Ready Button - Before any turns can be played, both players have 24 hours (5 minute speed) to view the map and press the ready button, indicating that they have seen the map and are ready for the game to start.

Specifics/Details:

The description really states the 'specifics.' I think that the ready button will just create more fairness and even players that are (extra) 'courteous' and give x amount of hours (12 is a popular number) are burdened by not being able to use the 'jump to the next game' option. And often I'll try to give the 12 hours and about hour 4 or 5 I'll forget and force of habit just press begin turn and even despite my good intentions, my opponent often will not get the chance to see the map.

There is a lot of walling/pm'ing before/during games to make sure that 'views' have occurred. The 'Ready Button' would eliminate all of that hassle.

Obviously the ready button would not be necessary for sunny games. Although, if to be implemented the tech team needed to institute it for all games and not just fog games then I still think it'd be a worthwhile tool. Of course with my limited technical knowledge, I would speculate that this could easily be applied just to fog games.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Efficient Fog play: Always getting a look at starting position & elimination of time spent communicating about 'views.'
  • Players do not get upset when they play a game and never got to see the map before the opponent took his/her turn.
  • Players will be more inclined to join games sooner (rather than later) w/o the existing reservations of ensuring a view of the board.
  • Absolute Fairness and good will is automatically ensured.
  • Tournament games began sooner. Often opponents are waiting each other out (especially in the later stages of tournaments), if not in the hopes of gaining an unfair advantage than at least for the desire that he/she gets a 'fair' look at the board. And obviously when these tactics are used, players create needless responsibilities for themselves. And when that player forgets about his 'responsibility' than often a tournament organizer is forced to resend an invitation (or forfeit a player).
High Score: #76 3053
Major ViperOverLord

Re: Round 1 Ready Button (For Fog Games)

Postby QoH on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 pm

I would agree entirely... But some sort of notification would be needed to tell the player, since I normally only look at team games and the ones where I'm able to take a turn. I would probably miss it in the queue...
Major QoH

Next

Return to Suggestions