Conquer Club

Change is afoot....

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Change is afoot....

Postby MrBenn on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:11 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:i'm not happy with it...

i liked being able to go into the main foundry, map development or whatever it was called, and map ideas with 3 clicks of my scroll wheel... now i have to click open a window, then click something else to get to map ideas... its taking too long for me to bash someone's dumb map idea...

You can get to each forum with one click from the Forum Index (the main forum page)...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:09 pm

MrBenn wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:i'm not happy with it...

i liked being able to go into the main foundry, map development or whatever it was called, and map ideas with 3 clicks of my scroll wheel... now i have to click open a window, then click something else to get to map ideas... its taking too long for me to bash someone's dumb map idea...

You can get to each forum with one click from the Forum Index (the main forum page)...

Having been a website designer myself and knowing how navigation systems work, this is actually a retrograde step.
Instead of being able to go from one forum to another, you have to continually backtrack to the Map Foundry or Forum Index to get to somewhere else.
Just because the rest of the site uses this approach doesn't mean it is actually the best or good for the site.
I still say i am not not convinced by this move, and i think that the site can do better. ;)
Unfortunately the site would probably have to re-structure it's whole navigation to move forward again.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:57 pm

As well as the links on the forum index, there are forum links at the top of each forum page.

I think you just need a little longer to get used to it cairns :lol:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:04 pm

In other news, you may notice another change that has taken place this evening...

I've gone through and stickied all the maps that have been given their Gameplay Stamp, so that these will appear at the top of the Main Foundry. Once maps receive their Graphics Stamp, they'll be promoted to an Announcement at the very top of the page before making the transition to the Final Forge.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:06 pm

MrBenn wrote:As well as the links on the forum index, there are forum links at the top of each forum page.

Well, no MrBenn...i am used to it....but from this Forum, i can only go back to Board Index < General < Map Foundry < Foundry Tips and Discussions
I can't get to Main Foundry, Drafts, or Final Forge from the top of this page without having to go through Main Foundry which i should be able to do. That is the idea of good navigation.
I am not tramping on what you have done, i am simply syaing that i still think it can be done better. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:10 pm

MrBenn wrote:In other news, you may notice another change that has taken place this evening...

I've gone through and stickied all the maps that have been given their Gameplay Stamp, so that these will appear at the top of the Main Foundry. Once maps receive their Graphics Stamp, they'll be promoted to an Announcement at the very top of the page before making the transition to the Final Forge.

Now this part is nice. =D> =D>
Private cairnswk

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 pm

MrBenn wrote:In other news, you may notice another change that has taken place this evening...

After a little bit of time looking at it.... I like the concept, but think the process should be reversed. Maps new to the Foundry working on Gameplay should be at the top as announcements and maps on there way to the Forge should be regular threads towards the bottom of the page. Maps that need the exposure and feedback should be at the top of the page. Maps that are pretty much on their way to the Forge don't need a lot of exposure, they're for the most part done, they'll receive they're final scrutiny in the Forge.

I just think over time maps that currently have been working on Gameplay are towards the bottom of the page and they're work may be stunted because of their position. I know it's just a short scroll down, but most folks don't do it, they look at what's on TOP.

I know it probably isn't feasible to put 10-15 threads in Announcements, but just look at those maps towards the bottom of the page, their production has slowed since the change, and while I know not all maps make it through the process there are maps being updated down there and they aren't being commented on.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:54 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:I just think over time maps that currently have been working on Gameplay are towards the bottom of the page and they're work may be stunted because of their position. I know it's just a short scroll down, but most folks don't do it, they look at what's on TOP.

On the other hand if you reverse it you might get a lot of maps grinding to a halt being bogged down in graphics-tweaking mode.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 pm

They'd still be where they currently are stickyed. But with more threads on top, they would get pushed further down... I dunno if any way will ever be perfect.
ImageImage

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:56 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Tbh I liked the Main Foundry as the regular topics.

QFT!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 pm

cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:As well as the links on the forum index, there are forum links at the top of each forum page.

Well, no MrBenn...i am used to it....but from this Forum, i can only go back to Board Index < General < Map Foundry < Foundry Tips and Discussions
I can't get to Main Foundry, Drafts, or Final Forge from the top of this page without having to go through Main Foundry which i should be able to do. That is the idea of good navigation.
I am not tramping on what you have done, i am simply syaing that i still think it can be done better. :)

I agree this is a very backwards broke down system. Surely CC can do better
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

I agree this is a very backwards broke down system. Surely CC can do better

Well, you got me thinking, and I figured that a system like phpBB would have to have something better, and it does, and so does CC.
Scroll to the bottom right corner of the page. There is a Jump To control with a dropdown menu which will let you get to just about any other spot in the forum with just a scroll and a click. I had never paid it much attention before, but this little item looks pretty handy.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby captainwalrus on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Woah, that is really healpful. :lol:
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby MrBenn on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Something's afoot...

The wind of change is beginning to blow...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm

MrBenn wrote:Something's afoot...

Is that a new map? :D

5 territories is kinda pushing it, eh?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Keep your eyes peeled for an Official Announcement at the beginning of next week - and hold onto your (bowler) hats...
Lieutenant MrBenn

EvilDimWit

Postby colton24 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Seems like he is about to be a foundry mod. I saw his name on "The Team" list and he had all the Foundry Forums under "Forums"(aka the forums the mod mods)
Highest Rank: Lieutenant | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!

Been around for too long...said things that shouldn't have been said...but all that has changed
Corporal 1st Class colton24

Re: EvilDimWit

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 pm

:-$ Just don't tell anyone. It's supposed to be a surprise. :-$
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Yep. *swallows—holy crap I'm saying this* Well spotted, colton.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 pm

No comment. 8-[
ImageImage

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote::-$ Just don't tell anyone. It's supposed to be a surprise. :-$

So are you pleading the 5th?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:36 am

Did somebody say something? :-^
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:11 am

who bin doing this footy change :lol: :lol:
Private cairnswk

Postby angola on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:42 am

Dammit, I was hoping the change was Feudal Epic hitting Beta.
Captain angola

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions