Conquer Club

Map of European Cities

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map of European Cities

Postby Scania N113 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:18 am

--> GREEN FOR GR, BLUE FOR GR
--> FOR ALL VERSIONS, PLEASE BROWSE THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD

small map
Click image to enlarge.

large map
Click image to enlarge.

Dear all,

I saw that there was a map of World Cities in the Map Foundry forum, and an idea got into my brain. Now I have made a map on European cities, and here is the first version of this map, please take a look.

map removed

Please give me some comments, so I can know where to modify the map. Thank you very much!

Regards,
Scania N113
Last edited by Scania N113 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:49 am, edited 14 times in total.
Colonel Scania N113

Re: Map of European Cities

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:53 am

Dear Scania,

I actually like this map quite a bit. Not that we don't have enough maps of Europe, but there don't seem to be too many maps in the 70-80 territory range without major gimmicks, so the gameplay's a welcome sight. That said:

1) This picture is big. Like, seriously big. Does not fit on most screens big. That alone makes analyzing this map tricky.

2) You have a bonus for capital cities but you don't indicate which cities are capitals -- which, alas, is not common knowledge.

3) How many territories is that? 72? You might want to break the continents up a bit into smaller pieces. Your smallest continent here is as large as the classic map's Asia and nobody can hold Asia. Certainly don't mash it up into eighteen South Americas but you probably want at least twice as many continents there

4) In some places -- mostly in the center -- the names get very cluttered and it's not obvious which name belongs to which circle.

5) No love for Istanbul? Even just the half that is on the European continent is bigger than most of the cities you have there.

That's about it for now. This does look like a map I might want to play, so don't disappoint.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby sinctheassasin on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:20 am

Welcome to the draft room! It's always nice to see new faces :D

I really like the idea! But the map size is the biggest issue, the max is supposed to be 800 by 840, so put it in check there :D

I'll check back later, and tell me if you need a guy to do your XML ;) in the dstant future of course...
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:51 am

Hi Scania N113,

some quick suggestions:

Graphics
First of all, the map should not to be larger than 840x800 (Big version )and 630x600 (small version).
Then, the images is very pixelous, what graphic program do you use? (just curious)

Gameplay
I suggest you to reduce the number of the cities, maybe this list can help you (40 cities) ;)
European Cities (population)
* 1 Mosca 14.470.318
* 2 Istanbul 12.573.836
* 3 Londra 7.556.900
* 4 San Pietroburgo 4.580.620
* 5 Berlino 3.420.786
* 6 Madrid 3.232.463
* 7 Roma 2.715.318
* 8 Kiev 2.700.000
* 9 Parigi 2.167.994
* 10 Baku 2.036.000
* 11 Bucarest 1.931.830
* 12 Varsavia 1.800.821
* 13 Amburgo 1.773.218
* 14 Budapest 1.702.297
* 15 Vienna 1.631.082
* 16 Barcellona 1.595.110
* 17 Charkiv 1.461.000
* 18 Praga 1.372.975
* 19 Monaco 1.311.573
* 20 Nižnij Novgorod 1.311.252
* 21 Milano 1.295.208
* 22 Tbilisi 1.260.000
* 23 Sofia 1.241.878
* 24 Kazan' 1.180.238
* 25 Belgrado 1.182.000
* 26 Samara 1.133.400
* 27 Jerevan 1.104.900
* 28 Odessa 1.080.000
* 29 Rostov sul Don 1.068.267
* 30 Ufa 1.029.400
* 31 Dnipropetrovs'k 1.017.681
* 32 Perm 1.001.653
* 33 Birmingham 1.001.200
* 34 Colonia 995.397
* 35 Napoli 967.085
* 36 Torino 910.461
* 37 Marsiglia 820.900
* 38 Stoccolma 798.715
* 39 Zagabria 784.900
* 40 Atene 745.514

Then try to have smaller zones, generally when a zone has more than 8/9 regions, it is only cause of headache. I don't think that a player could try to take and hold a bonus on this map.
Finally, i like the idea to have a european map with cities instead of countries, but you have to consider to work out a wonderful gameplay, because we already have 2 maps on europe and it won't be easy for you to find support for this map (required).

Again, i know you're working on another project (baltic states), i suggest you to focus on one map at a time because (and I speak from personal experience) is not easy to continue with two maps at the same time, specially if you're not an expert mapmaker ;)

Anyway, i'm goign to move this map to the ideas subforum untill your dratf image will not meet the criteria listed below:

Draft images should not be larger than 630x600px (small image) or 840x800px (large image).
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:52 am

[Moved]

This map has been moved into the Ideas subforum, as it does not meet the criteria for a Working Draft:

Drafting Room Guidelines

To be considered a Working Draft a project must be more than just an idea; a Draft should have a clear thematic focus, a plan for how the gameplay will work, and a basic image which should include:
    1. Territory Labels - temporary names or numbers will suffice, and are always open to change.
    2. Borders/Paths/Impassables - it should be made clear where territories do/do not connect.
    3. Bonus Areas - where combinations/groups of territories will award a bonus, this should be indicated on the map.
    4. Legend - speculative bonus values and explanations of any attack rules or gameplay features.
Draft images should not be larger than 630x600px (small image) or 840x800px (large image).

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:34 am

There is already a rail Europe that has the main European cities, and is more unique. I don't like to discourage people from making maps, but I don't really think this is "‘inherently unique either in gameplay, location, or theme." That isn't to say it won't work, you just will need to make it work.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Scania N113 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 pm

I will put this map here first because regarding what thenobodies80 said, I have another map going on in the drafting room. Right after that map has a new update, I will pick this map up again. I will give more details in the next update.
Last edited by Scania N113 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel Scania N113

Map of European Cities [OFFICIAL VERSION]

Postby Scania N113 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:49 am

Hello, I decided to pick this map up again because I have already published the latest version of the other map. This is the second version.

small map (619 X 522)
Click image to enlarge.

large map (810 X 667)
Click image to enlarge.

In this map, there are eight bonus regions. Players will get extra troops if they hold an entire region. Also, players can get extra troops for holding capital cities, which are marked with different colours. Note that there is a special case in this map. For holding the bonus area Yugoslavia, players can get 4 extra troops because all the cities in this region are capital cities at the same time. Please read through the map for more detailed information.

Due to the fact that there is not enough space in this map, some names on this map is being shortened. But do not worry, I will post a list here, which will include both the short forms and the complete forms of the names of the cities.

On the other hand, the most special point of this map is that the lands are based on points but not areas. Also, I know that there is another map on European cities which is named Rail Europe and it looks more interesting. However I think that the background of this map is totally different from that one.

Firstly the selling point of this map is its reality. This map is totally based on present and real geography. The main evidence is that there are borders of countries here, and the bonus areas are divided with the strong support of historical facts. Secondly, there are some regions here which are not included in Rail Europe. For example, the cities in Scandinavia. Thirdly, there are more lands in this map, and Conquer Club obviously needs maps with more lands.

I have explained all the important points. Therefore, now it is your turn to explain yours. Thank you very much!
Last edited by Scania N113 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 am, edited 11 times in total.
Colonel Scania N113

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:15 am

[Merged] with the old 'Map of Europen Cities' thread.

Postby sinctheassasin on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 am

Hmmm, I like big maps, but here is my complaint:

it's just too hard to read in some places,

you either haveto tone down the territory count, or maybe
do some under the table barganing with the foundry mods for bigger size limits.
( how would you like another year of premium, thenobodies80) ;) :lol: ;)
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Postby Scania N113 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:56 pm

For the next version of this map, I am going to break up the bonus regions because it will be hard for players to hold too many lands for just having a few extra troops. On the other hand I will find ways to make the map become clearer, for examplese cancel some lands which are not very significant or increase the size of the words.

However the most important things is that I have to get more ideas and suggestions you. Lastly I promise all of you that the next version will be published in the coming weekend (12/9/2009).
Colonel Scania N113

Map of European Cities [OFFICIAL VERSION]

Postby Scania N113 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:27 am

Hello, long time no see. I have a new update for this map.

small map (624 X 489) (V1.0.3S)
Click image to enlarge.

large map (827 X 648) (V1.0.3L)
Click image to enlarge.

Changes made:
(1) changing the layout of the map
(2) breaking down the original bonus regions
(3) deleting some lines in order to make the map clearer
(4) changing the color of the armies circle to make it more visible

This is all. Please continue to give comments. Thank you very much!
Last edited by Scania N113 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Scania N113

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:51 pm

I like the 8-bit feel of the map but it might seem a bit more cohesive if the title, key and mini-map were done in the same pixely style.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Scania N113 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 am

Hello, could all of you give me more comments, so I can give another better update very soon. Thank you very much!
Colonel Scania N113

Postby sam_levi_11 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Im not sure why Germany is worth just 4... Explanation?

Also to make iberia less of a bottle neck you could add an attack route from barcelona to a new city, maybe either Cagliari in Sardinia, or Palermo in Scily.

I personally would have them both if it could fit, as i think it would make italy more significant and make iberia less easy to get, as you wouldnt just be protecting Andorra La Vella.

Or is Andorra La Vella counted in france? If so nevermind :P
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby Scania N113 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:52 am

Actually ALV is counted in Iberia since the people there speak Spanish more than French. And thank you for your suggestions and they are really helpful! Maybe in the next update I will add a route from Barcelona or Andorra La Ville to some cities in Italy.
Colonel Scania N113

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:42 pm

How about an attack route from Barcelona to Naples. That should help with the bottle neck. There is one concern I see IMHO, and that is the Capital City part of the legend, it is hard to read on the small map. Maybe increase the font size up by one, maybe two at the most. I like the idea of the 3 letter airport codes for the cities =D> .

That's all I see, keep up the good work!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Scania N113 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:14 am

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I will consider them and make my next update. However I think that I still need more ideas, so can anybody help? Thank you very much.
Colonel Scania N113

Postby Premier2k on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:43 am

Hi Scania N113,

You have a good idea here, But firstly with the harsh criticism...

I have to say though that the current graphics for this map are not up to CC's usual high standard. You're going to need to practise a little. What graphics program are you using to edit this?
I don't like the 8 bit graphics, it makes it look cheap and tacky. It has no relevance to the idea, if you were doing a computer game map then fine, but this is not.
It looks like you've taken a normal map and coloured it in, this is also what is dragging the map down in terms of graphics, fire up your editor and practise on something, maybe make a banner advertising your map! Practise and learn everything your editor(and you) can do.

Now for the not so harsh constructive criticism.
A few things I've noticed at first glance on this map.

Text - Awful, sorry but it is. Much harder to read on the smaller map
Text - Boring, again. Play around and try and liven it up a little. make the title jump out at you!
Legend - You have written: All regional capitals is +3 and All capitals in the region +2.........What's the difference? It sounds like the same bonus. Can you define it a little more.
Country borders - Horrible and out of place. Especially in Western Slavic

I think this is enough to get you started...

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby Scania N113 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:44 am

Thank you for all of your ideas, I will surely improve the map. Now I can put more effort on this map because my another project was handed over the other members in the group Map Makers Guild. I hope that the next update can come in one week.
Colonel Scania N113

Postby Iron Maid on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:38 am

The map looks good. Although a very big mistake is in it. Don't put the Benelux cities into Germany, that is incorrect! You should or create a separate Continent called Benelux or rename Germany! I can imagine with me a lot of Dutch and Belgium players don't like it that their Capitals are put into the Germany continent.

Regards,

Iron
Major Iron Maid
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MarVal on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:11 am

Iron Maid wrote:The map looks good. Although a very big mistake is in it. Don't put the Benelux cities into Germany, that is incorrect! You should or create a separate Continent called Benelux or rename Germany! I can imagine with me a lot of Dutch and Belgium players don't like it that their Capitals are put into the Germany continent.

Regards,

Iron

Same here for me...... Its impossible that we (Belgium & Netherland) are 1 continent with Germany and named : Germany. Its impossible to do that.

Its the same as we create a North-America map with Mexico & USA together and call that Continent: Mexico..... I don't think any American citizen would appreciate that :mrgreen:

Also for me, please changed the Continent name or make a separate one for Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg and called it BeNeLux or Low Lands.

By the way, I like your idead of European Cities map =D>
GL further to work this out.

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby Genoke on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:08 pm

MarVal wrote:
Iron Maid wrote:The map looks good. Although a very big mistake is in it. Don't put the Benelux cities into Germany, that is incorrect! You should or create a separate Continent called Benelux or rename Germany! I can imagine with me a lot of Dutch and Belgium players don't like it that their Capitals are put into the Germany continent.

Regards,

Iron

Same here for me...... Its impossible that we (Belgium & Netherland) are 1 continent with Germany and named : Germany. Its impossible to do that.

Its the same as we create a North-America map with Mexico & USA together and call that Continent: Mexico..... I don't think any American citizen would appreciate that :mrgreen:

Also for me, please changed the Continent name or make a separate one for Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg and called it BeNeLux or Low Lands.

By the way, I like your idead of European Cities map =D>
GL further to work this out.

Grtz
MarVal

It's true, calling a big area like that all 'Germany' would be wrong, i know changing territs is more work then changing 1 name.
Maybe you could change the name of 'Germany' into 'middle europa'
'European heart' would suits fine too :D
My CC:
show
Brigadier Genoke

Postby frankiebee on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:05 pm

^^Above posters are right^^
I will never play this map if the Netherlands are in the germany continent, unless you change the theme to WW2 :lol:
Colonel frankiebee

Postby 69Chevy on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:43 pm

My grandfather just had a heartattack , just after he looked at this map and he thought he was fighting in WWII again. Please, Don't put The Netherlands in Germany.

Two options
1* create a separate Benelux
2* rename Germany into i.e middle europe.

Thanks sofar, A proud Dutchman, Chevy
Tonight tonight the strip’s just right, I wanna blow `em off in my first heat
Summer’s here and the time is right, We’re goin’ racin’ in the street.....
Lieutenant 69Chevy

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas