Conquer Club

Austerlitz Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AUSTERLITZ [FF] v06 18jul

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Er, no, but well done anyway, let's quench this sucker asap!
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby MrBenn on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Pamoa, could you post links to the final files (large/small/XML). Many thanks ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 am

as on the first line of the thread

link to large image / link to small image / link to XML
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:10 am

Beta - Quenching

---The Final Forge period has concluded for the Austerlitz Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Beta Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready for BETA Play. After an extended period of time in BETA and once all quirks and issues have been resolved, the map will be put into Full Play (barring any Lack vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: AUSTERLITZ [beta]

Postby Rémi on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:52 am

So, why does it take so long ? It's 3 days now. I can't stand waiting !!! [-o<
Colonel Rémi

Postby MrBenn on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:18 am

Relax. Chill out. Foundry time runs more slowly than real-world time. This is a well-documented fact. ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:09 pm

October 9 2009
we are live !
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby mibi on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 pm

wow, I am not sure how this one spent a year in the foundry and came out looking like this. It may be a niche map and some folks are bound to enjoy it. But to me, its entirely unaccessable.
Captain mibi

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 pm

I've played this map a few times now (a few still active), and am loving it thus far.

Two solid +2 bonuses, nice gameplay with the increased range of the cavalry, no complaints from me!

Great map- well done =D>
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby pamoa on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:37 am

thank you lgoasklucyl

sorry mibi but why do you say the map inaccessible for you
and was it a compliment your first sentence
did you mean I'm good at graphics
because first map I posted was already like the final one
I always start a map with a graphical concept
anyway thanks for your comment
Last edited by pamoa on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm

mibi wrote:wow, I am not sure how this one spent a year in the foundry and came out looking like this.

He is saying that for a map that spent such a long time in development, it looks craptastic.
mibi wrote:But to me, its entirely unaccessable.

Hard to read, understand, play on, etc.—the legend doesn't do enough (plus the design of it doesn't work very well in-game).

I said it elsewhere: it looked very nice as a jpg in a thread, but after playing it it's just too :?
Captain the.killing.44

Postby Blitzaholic on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:16 pm

pamoa, I just wanted to let you know many are grumbling and upset with your new map. I have not yet played it, but plan on it, when so, I will post you some feedback to be helpful.

here is the link

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98957&start=0

perhaps you could ask them to elaborate more.
General Blitzaholic

Postby Gall on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 pm

I have noticed an anomaly in Austerlitz, during play I was offered the possibility of assaulting Dokturov directly from Kienmayer.There is no direct connection between the two.
Corporal Gall

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:32 pm

I like the map, but after playing it several times, I am still completely confused by the bonuses. (and note, I am an experienced player). Can it be explained a bit better?
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Cavalry can attack two spaces ahead.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby grayhawke on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Gall wrote:I have noticed an anomaly in Austerlitz, during play I was offered the possibility of assaulting Dokturov directly from Kienmayer.There is no direct connection between the two.

Kienmayer is Cavalry, attack range 2, and can therefore assault Dokturov via Telnitz.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby Supermarioluigi on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:05 pm

It's a good map, but the bonuses are awful confusing.
Achieved August 27, 2009
Cook Supermarioluigi

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:24 pm

The only problem people have with maps like Wateloo, Prison Riot, Age of Merchants, this map, Forbidden City etc. is that they don't spend enough time reading the legend. I spend 5 minutes reading the legend on a map before I play it. I have never been remotely confused about an attack route on any map on the site as of yet. I don't think it's a coincidence.

One thing I love about this map is how concise the legend is. It is short, to the point, and tells you absolutely everything you need to understand the map.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby pamoa on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:22 am

thanks Blitzaholic I wrote an answer in the thread with a link to this one if someone dare to come

The Neon Peon wrote:The only problem people have with maps like Wateloo, Prison Riot, Age of Merchants, this map, Forbidden City etc. is that they don't spend enough time reading the legend. I spend 5 minutes reading the legend on a map before I play it. I have never been remotely confused about an attack route on any map on the site as of yet. I don't think it's a coincidence.

One thing I love about this map is how concise the legend is. It is short, to the point, and tells you absolutely everything you need to understand the map.

thanks The Neon Peon you said it more clearly than I can
but on a fast consumerist media as internet 5 minutes may seems too much for a lot of people

I wish to thanks all my supporters
if you have any constructive comment to make
I'm open to listen and evaluate any constructive suggestion

PS
it took me almost 100 hours over a year to make it so please at least some respect for this
and sorry for my English as I'm a French speaker

PPS
if you want to read about some polemics AUSTERLITZ
Cadet pamoa

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:57 am

pamoa wrote:thanks Blitzaholic I wrote an answer in the thread with a link to this one if someone dare to come

The Neon Peon wrote:The only problem people have with maps like Wateloo, Prison Riot, Age of Merchants, this map, Forbidden City etc. is that they don't spend enough time reading the legend. I spend 5 minutes reading the legend on a map before I play it. I have never been remotely confused about an attack route on any map on the site as of yet. I don't think it's a coincidence.

thanks The Neon Peon you said it more clearly than I can
but on a fast consumerist media as internet 5 minutes may seems too much for a lot of people

I wish to thanks all my supporters
if you have any constructive comment to make
I'm open to listen and evaluate any constructive suggestion

PS
it took me almost 100 hours over a year to make it so please at least some respect for this
and sorry for my English as I'm a French speaker

PPS
if you want to read about some polemics AUSTERLITZ

First, I DO like the map. I am not one who is simply criticizing you. That said, I am more than a bit experiences on playing ALL the maps and I think simply saying "you did not take the time to read the legend".. is, well, as bad as those who are just saying things like "the map needs to be bigger" .. even when the comments clearly show you considered and rejected this suggestion early on.

Just to name one example, this thing that calvary can attack 2 spaces ahead is not mentioned. The "left flank" bonus says A + 5 divisions, but which divisions. I have twice thought I had it, but the only bonus I have ever gotten is the village bonus and the auto-deploy Napoleon bonus.

Again, this is coming from someone who plays every map. If you still do not wish to change it.. that is, of course, your choice. However, I very far from the only one who feels this way (the map is fine, but not the explanations) -- and I DO mean people of all ranks, with high experience.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby grayhawke on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:38 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:...
Just to name one example, this thing that calvary can attack 2 spaces ahead is not mentioned. The "left flank" bonus says A + 5 divisions, but which divisions. I have twice thought I had it, but the only bonus I have ever gotten is the village bonus and the auto-deploy Napoleon bonus.....

Cavalry attack - It is clearly stated under "Battlefield" , "CAVALRY ATTACK RANGE IS 2"

"left flank" bonus says A + 5 divisions - actually the Russo-Austrian Centre says A+5 divisions +5. It seems obvious (at least to me) that the divisions are the 4 green and 1 red falling within the" Allied Centre" brace.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:58 pm

grayhawke wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:...
Just to name one example, this thing that calvary can attack 2 spaces ahead is not mentioned. The "left flank" bonus says A + 5 divisions, but which divisions. I have twice thought I had it, but the only bonus I have ever gotten is the village bonus and the auto-deploy Napoleon bonus.....

Cavalry attack - It is clearly stated under "Battlefield" , "CAVALRY ATTACK RANGE IS 2"

"left flank" bonus says A + 5 divisions - actually the Russo-Austrian Centre says A+5 divisions +5. It seems obvious (at least to me) that the divisions are the 4 green and 1 red falling within the" Allied Centre" brace.

The calvary attack bit, I did misinterpret. It sounds like a bombardment, but that is a minor point. The combinations, though, are not clear (compared to other maps, including the complicated ones).

I think what happens is that everything seems clear when you are making a map, or after you have played it a dozen or so times. To someone new, any change from regular terms is confusing. More confusion means the map is less likely to be played, no matter how nice the map. I have often thought that a final step to the foundary process should be to pick a few semi-random volunteers to simply see how easy a map is to understand and plain read. (some of us are no longer young)

As for the clarity, basically, it comes down to a choice... if you want more people to play the map, it behooves to make it more "user-friendly". If you don't care about that.. then some people will play it until they "get it" (myself actually one), and the rest will just ignore it.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Aalmeida17 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 pm

this map is just perfect , get it out of beta ;-)
Cook Aalmeida17

Postby pamoa on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Aalmeida17 wrote:this map is just perfect , get it out of beta ;-)

thank you Aalmeida17 for your support
Cadet pamoa

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm

I think this can be taken out of beta.

There is nothing complicated on the map. The three things separating this from a standard map:
1. An Objective (AoR I, II, III, City Mogul, Europe 1914, Feudal War, Holy Roman Empire, Operation Drug War, Peloponnesian War)
2. Lines to show attack routes (Classic Shapes, World Cities, Arms Race, Caribbean Islands, Midkemdil, Oceania, Pearl Harbor, Poison Rome, Rail Australia, Rail Europe, Rail USA, Route 66, USA: Greal lakes, New England, South East, South West, Rockies, West, WWII Ardennes)
3. Units that attack territories 2 spots away from them (Waterloo...)

Except for the 3rd, this map contains only features that are common to many other maps. I don't think there need to be any change made for clarity purposes.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas