Conquer Club

The Classic Map is being Revamped

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Classic Map is being Revamped

Postby stahrgazer on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:56 pm

mpjh wrote:There are far more players on shapes than art. I say keep all three.

I definitely prefer playing shapes to art; why NOT keep all three?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby stahrgazer on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:05 pm

sully800 wrote:The comparison between shapes and art doesn't work because all of the Classic games got added as Classic shapes.

Comparing active games, there are 1915 games on Shapes and 517 games on Art.
Comparing waiting games, there are 211 games on Shapes and 81 games on Art.

So it does seem that Shapes is more popular than Art, but Shapes is also the default map which might have a strong effect on popularity. In any case, I would be fine with Shapes and Art staying live but that decision will be made by lackattack.

For me, "it's the default" has nothing to do with it.

I like shapes because it's real easy for me to see where the octogons or diamonds are; and to play by number. I don't like C Arts because I never took "Art Geography". When I want to think that hard about what to attack, I play Waterloo.

I like the idea of a new continents map, well done! Make that the new default if you want; but why take away shapes from those who enjoy playing shapes; or arts, for those who enjoy playing arts? Why not just put all three up?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby mpjh on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 pm

sully800 wrote:
mpjh wrote:The boundaries need to be thinner and sharper; and get rid of the clutter in the ocean. Just the facts, mam, just the facts. The flags only take up space and make the map smaller for play -- dump them.

The flags don't make the map smaller at all, considering the 630 px width limit is the limiting factor. The map already has a skewed perspective (it is slightly taller than it should be, to give more space to the land mass) so vertical constraints are definitely not a problem.

Please make your comments in the map thread itself though, so I can keep track of everyone's opinion in one place.

However you cut it, the flags are clutter.
Cadet mpjh

Postby Wellspring on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:17 am

Bruceswar wrote:
spiesr wrote:You see, world cities/new classic is exactly the same as shapes, just with better graphics. It has the same circles connected with line style. It just has different names and the continent in the background, so I don't see why you would possibly need shapes if you have it.
72o wrote:So is world cities dead?
No, it is just getting a name change and will be put up as classic.

What is Easier for a student to learn on... Attack N5 to N4 or... Attack Novosibirsk to Chengdu The 2nd one will have them looking for about 3 minutes just to find the place.

You kinda picked the two most obscure cities on the map. Chicago to New York would take a new player less than 5 seconds to find.

Personally I prefer keeping Classic Art over Classic Shapes if it came down to getting rid of one of them.
Major Wellspring

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:19 am

IF you have critiques or suggestions for the map---do indeed go post in the Foundry Topic---not here. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:39 am

Wellspring wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
spiesr wrote:You see, world cities/new classic is exactly the same as shapes, just with better graphics. It has the same circles connected with line style. It just has different names and the continent in the background, so I don't see why you would possibly need shapes if you have it.
72o wrote:So is world cities dead?
No, it is just getting a name change and will be put up as classic.

What is Easier for a student to learn on... Attack N5 to N4 or... Attack Novosibirsk to Chengdu The 2nd one will have them looking for about 3 minutes just to find the place.

You kinda picked the two most obscure cities on the map. Chicago to New York would take a new player less than 5 seconds to find.

Personally I prefer keeping Classic Art over Classic Shapes if it came down to getting rid of one of them.

Yes I did that for a reason. That attack will come up from time to time and people need to know it. N4 to N5 is no harder than o2 to o3. And some one from Europe or Asia might not find Chicago so easy. Not a knock on the current map in development but a saying we now need all 3 to make CC work well. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby ronsizzle on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:50 am

Twill wrote:Man that was a long 24 hours, and easily the best (and then one of my worst) memories in the last 7 years of working with communities. It was an honour to work with you gents (those who read this), and sully, this is definitely a strong replacement.

It looks awesome!

(Oh boy it's odd to be posting in the forum again! :shock: )

holy shit? twilldo? back at cc?

i miss him. i really do.
Sergeant 1st Class ronsizzle

Postby ronsizzle on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 am

mpjh wrote:
sully800 wrote:
mpjh wrote:The boundaries need to be thinner and sharper; and get rid of the clutter in the ocean. Just the facts, mam, just the facts. The flags only take up space and make the map smaller for play -- dump them.

The flags don't make the map smaller at all, considering the 630 px width limit is the limiting factor. The map already has a skewed perspective (it is slightly taller than it should be, to give more space to the land mass) so vertical constraints are definitely not a problem.

Please make your comments in the map thread itself though, so I can keep track of everyone's opinion in one place.

However you cut it, the flags are clutter.

didnt sully ask you to comment in the correct thread? i thought he did....

Postby owenshooter on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:04 am

AndyDufresne wrote:IF you have critiques or suggestions for the map---do indeed go post in the Foundry Topic---not here. ;)
--Andy

i think it is wonderful that MrBenn took the initiative to post this in the announcements where it is highly visible, to keep people like me from saying, "WHAT?! WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THIS?!!! WHAT?!!!" great move =D> =D> =D> =D> going over to have a peek...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby lackattack on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 am

stahrgazer wrote:I definitely prefer playing shapes to art; why NOT keep all three?

I don't like fracturing identical gameplay over several maps. One reason is that it skews stats and achievement medals. Another reason is that if one version looks much better to most players, is makes sense to concentrate the games on that version.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby ronsizzle on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:17 am

lackattack wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:I definitely prefer playing shapes to art; why NOT keep all three?

I don't like fracturing identical gameplay over several maps. One reason is that it skews stats and achievement medals. Another reason is that if one version looks much better to most players, is makes sense to concentrate the games on that version.

i completely agree.

i dont like shapes at all, and i tolerated art until something new came out. when will this go down lack?

Postby Hatchman on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:18 am

lackattack wrote:

:D
Major Hatchman

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 am

ronc8649 wrote:
lackattack wrote:

i completely agree.

i dont like shapes at all, and i tolerated art until something new came out. when will this go down lack?

Whenever the Foundry and those who contribute to the development believe it has satisfied most concerns! So if you want to expedite the process---take part in it. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby b00060 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:41 am

Retiring Classic Shapes is a HUGE mistake!
Major b00060

Postby Mr Changsha on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
ronc8649 wrote:
lackattack wrote:

i completely agree.

Whenever the Foundry and those who contribute to the development believe it has satisfied most concerns! So if you want to expedite the process---take part in it. ;)

--Andy

Oh no, we are here to grumble, gripe and complain...NOT behave in a positive manner that is of benefit to the site. Who pays their cash to take part in the wonderful world of service??? We pay money, you give us a service, we then complain about the service for yet more entertainment...my god CC is 25 dollars well spent!

I've decided to get annoyed by the 'art' map this week and if that can't raise me up to new peaks of faux-mock indignation then I'll just have to find something else.

However Andy, I'm not sure you and God are singing the same tune...didn't he just say that he's not keen on keeping multiple maps with the same gameplay?

Bye bye that abomination known as 'Art'...
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby CafeT on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:48 pm

b00060 wrote:Retiring Classic Shapes is a HUGE mistake!

Like mpjh said, Shapes has easy to use short names that aren't arbitrary abbreviations. For someone who likes to limit typing to prevent further hand injury (especially when there's not much time after the new turn starts in freestyle games with teams, e.g.), I think that's pretty awesome. I find that on another site people get confused with "Kam" and "CenA," and I expect similar with the new map. People will still use the "obscure" cities during gameplay, so that argument doesn't work.

Just some thoughts from someone who's finished 35 games and doesn't pay yet. :)
Last edited by CafeT on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CafeT
High score: 2853/#162, 2013-03-14.
If you don't see any stars, I didn't rate you for that category. It's not a bad rating, it's not a rating.
Try a turn notifier so you will know when you can move.
Major CafeT

Postby aselwyn1 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:08 pm

i like the one with the flages and the one with the normal as what you can buy as the boradgame version
Private aselwyn1

Postby SFX! on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm

aselwyn1 wrote:i like the one with the [Game]flages[/Game] and the one with the normal as what you can buy as the [Game]boradgame[/Game] version

Excuse my ignorance but what do the two highlighted words mean? I'm sorry, I haven't passed 6th Grade yet :roll:.
Private 1st Class SFX!

Postby mpjh on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:28 pm

A flages is a person that flatulates in public.

A boradgame is a boring advertising game designed to develop jingles.
Cadet mpjh

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:31 pm

mpjh wrote:A flages is a person that flatulates in public.

A boradgame is a boring advertising game designed to develop jingles.

Please do not troll and/or take this thread off-topic. Thank you.

For the map: I don't mind doing whatever. I personally hate the "map" called Classic: Art, and would only play Classic: Cities (with an Art or two thrown in), but I have no opinion.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:19 pm

lackattack wrote:

Based on this comment, the announcement and in-the-map-forum posting that this new cities map that doesn't have the country shapes in the same place as the Risk, Classic Art, or Classic Shapes map so looks totally different (good, but different) but has the same attack patterns and area bonuses, is in error, and this new cities map will replace BOTH shapes and Arts, to appease the "fracturing identical gameplay" difficulty you have?

Or are you saying it's okay to fracture in two but not 3, even if some of the "teaching members" have concerns because Shapes is far easier to explain than where jimboartfan attacks pickanameartist in HolocaustTerrorarea.

(For those who'll say, "none of those names is on the Arts map" yeah, I know, but the names I used make as much sense in gameplay as what is on the Arts map, so the point is valid.)

As for the "looks better to most players" the stats show that Classic Shapes is played more often. Looking at the comments, it's about 50-50 on who prefers what, but that's only a small percentage of the population.

None of this derails Bruceswar's totally valid point about the ease of communicating gameplay and bonuses over the Shapes map. So, really, if you're going to trash only one of the two "Classic" maps, why Shapes?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby soccerghost on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:18 pm

cool
Winner:
Three Strikes and You're Out
GR’s Common Map Tour
Ever Decreasing Circles II
Serbia's Euro 2012(Czech Republic)
Game 5955212
Game 6000000
Game 6760347
Game 10361079
Game 10364001
Game 10881389
Why did Bobby drop his Ice Cream?
He was hit by a bus.
Cook soccerghost

Postby kmhebert on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:32 pm

This is a great idea. GREAT! Wow! Now that I see it it seems both brilliant and essential.
Sergeant kmhebert

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:12 pm

lackattack wrote:

While normally I would agree, but now it has been a year and I think it is in the best interest of the site to keep all 3. Why you ask? We are all so used to them now it can do nothing but harm. When we had the switch and bait pulled a year ago many left the site and traffic went way down. Yes even in Peak season. The removal of shapes would be a loss of a great teaching tool. Teaching produces better players and I think the chance of more premiums, since players feel they are not just getting abused in games and have a chance to win.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Should've waited 6 days (from today) to announce it.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives