Conquer Club

Montreal Map [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:48 am

Again, I cant understand Suburbia with 4 bonus armies. Nor a bonus for have one country. Its unfair, we discussed it in the Discworld map topic. The players dislike it.

You now need change the legend. Why are South Shore white in the legend? Laval and Ila-Bizard are almost unreadable. Some colours are different, too. Bout de Lile, for example, has a much darker name than the countries are in the map.

There are no bridges between those west end countries? Your bridges are really ugly too. Very light, maybe using black ones... but I dont know...
Major Marvaddin

Postby rocksolid on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Again, I cant understand Suburbia with 4 bonus armies.

A player holding Ile Bizard and Suburbia would have 5 bonus with only 2 border countries. Unlike North America, there is no third source of attack that flows through to the rest of the map.

Marvaddin wrote: Nor a bonus for have one country. Its unfair, we discussed it in the Discworld map topic. The players dislike it.

If by "the players" you mean you, God and Kingwaffles, then you're right, but I don't think "the players" is a conclusive consensus. Jota seemed to like the idea in the Discworld topic, and I did too, though I didn't say anything - which makes the count 3 to 2. I, like Jota, think the advantage is balanced by your being a bigger target.

Marvaddin wrote:You now need change the legend. Why are South Shore white in the legend? Laval and Ila-Bizard are almost unreadable. Some colours are different, too. Bout de Lile, for example, has a much darker name than the countries are in the map.

Good points. South Shore is not white - the colour is drawn from the map - but I can saturate it more to make the association clearer. The Bout de L'Ile colour is also inappropriate now that I've toned down its colours. And Laval and Ile-Bizard are less readable because of their being coloured after being typed - I'll rectify that as well.

Marvaddin wrote:There are no bridges between those west end countries? Your bridges are really ugly too. Very light, maybe using black ones... but I dont know...

There are bridges in the West End, but they're not river-crossing bridges...and I forgot about them, which I realized after uploading the images. I'll add them in. And as for the bridges, I had trouble making something look like a bridge with only a few pixels to work with. I'll try darkening them to see if it makes them any better.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby haha on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:35 pm

prity good
Brigadier haha

Postby Jota on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:58 pm

For the bridges, it might look nicer if it were an overhead view rather than an angle view.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Dragonfly77 on Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Go Verdun!! Yahooooo!
Private 1st Class Dragonfly77

Postby rocksolid on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:23 am

Legend colours remedied and a new attempt at bridges...

Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby rocksolid on Tue May 23, 2006 9:09 am

Bump re discussion on bonuses in new thread...
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby RjBeals on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:02 am

uhh... why is this map live? In my opinion, this map doesn't even come close to being worthy.
Private RjBeals

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:11 am

Made it up to live play before I was Foundry Foreman I believe.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:11 am

RjBeals wrote:uhh... why is this map live? In my opinion, this map doesn't even come close to being worthy.
its better than some others like crossword and brazil, a bit worse than the fantasy maps. Maybe you should give it a clean like Mr.K/Keyogi is doing with middle east.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:39 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:
RjBeals wrote:uhh... why is this map live? In my opinion, this map doesn't even come close to being worthy.
its better than some others like crossword and brazil, a bit worse than the fantasy maps. Maybe you should give it a clean like Mr.K/Keyogi is doing with middle east.

I disagree, it blows.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:44 am

reverend_kyle wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:

I disagree, it blows.
im not saying it doesnt blow, im saying it just doesnt blow as hard as some of the other maps.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:45 am

It's not *that* bad...however it's interesting to note that back in those days a map was quenched after only 2 and a half pages and some maps are now 50+ pages and haven't been quenched yet! There are definitely maps that are worse than this both in terms of visual appeal and playability.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:49 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:
reverend_kyle wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:

I disagree, it blows.
im not saying it doesnt blow, im saying it just doesnt blow as hard as some of the other maps.

but brazil kicks ass... speaking of which I havent played that map in forever.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:42 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:It's not *that* bad...however it's interesting to note that back in those days a map was quenched after only 2 and a half pages and some maps are now 50+ pages and haven't been quenched yet! There are definitely maps that are worse than this both in terms of visual appeal and playability.

They weren't Quenched...because that wasn't even around yet!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: Montreal Map [Done]

Postby tonbomorphew on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 am

in browse maps it say montreal without a acute accent .E.
Cook tonbomorphew

Postby natty dread on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:01 pm

tonbomorphew wrote:in browse maps it say montreal without a acute accent .E.

Both spellings are correct.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

montreal

Postby Falkomagno on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:26 am

that maps needs a revamp. is not at the same level as the others
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:52 am

What this map needs is making Downtown start neutral.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Gilligan on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Please make Downtown a starting neutral.

That is all.
Captain Gilligan

Postby SimplyObsessed on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:23 pm

I agree with the making Downtown a starting neutral thing, I avoid it in 1v1 because of it.
Corporal 1st Class SimplyObsessed

Postby Gilligan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 pm

SimplyObsessed wrote:I agree with the making Downtown a starting neutral thing, I avoid it in 1v1 because of it.

Especially games like the one I had...the other player had Downtown, and EVERY adjacent territory was neutral. Losing conditions from the start.
Captain Gilligan

Postby chapcrap on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Gilligan wrote:Please make Downtown a starting neutral.

That is all.

It also needs to have the bonus in the upper left with three territories not be able to be dropped.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: montreal

Postby Peter Gibbons on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:38 am

Falkomagno wrote:that maps needs a revamp. is not at the same level as the others

I know this post is old, but I'm going to agree here. Of all the maps I like to play due to gameplay, this one has the worst graphics. If someone really went to town, so to speak, with a French/Quebecois theme/color scheme, I think this could be a beautiful map. To be honest, I wish that this had been a graphics contest ahead of North America. But I understand that's more popular.

Is there a way to petition for a contest, other than collecting posts here? I assume it needs approval from the mapmaker...?
Major Peter Gibbons

Re: montreal

Postby Gilligan on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 am

Peter Gibbons wrote:
Falkomagno wrote:that maps needs a revamp. is not at the same level as the others

I know this post is old, but I'm going to agree here. Of all the maps I like to play due to gameplay, this one has the worst graphics. If someone really went to town, so to speak, with a French/Quebecois theme/color scheme, I think this could be a beautiful map. To be honest, I wish that this had been a graphics contest ahead of North America. But I understand that's more popular.

Is there a way to petition for a contest, other than collecting posts here? I assume it needs approval from the mapmaker...?

A revamped revamped: First ever
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas