I've converted the website and database over to the UTF-8 character encoding. This means that we can now have game chat in all languages from japanese to hebrew! It is a first step towards translating Conquer Club in different languages, and other website improvements.
I also defragmented the database and fixed a few bottlenecks...
- The view entire log link is now 5x faster, which is nice because some longer games took a while to load.
- Each hour, when the website cleans up expired game invites, several games would lock up for about 3 minutes or more. This has been eliminated.
- Game finder searches for specific maps are now much faster.
I'll now start working on these issues:
- Each night several games lock up due to an email issue
- The game interface needs to be more fault tolerant so that it doesn't freeze when the server has a "hiccup".