Conquer Club

WWII Pearl Harbor - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: WWII Pearl Harbor - [Quenched]

Postby Forza AZ on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:23 am

Just lost a 4 player doubles game because of the drop. 1 of our opponents started with 16 armies en took away all our bonusses before we could get started, so after the end of round 1 they were already up more then 25 armies and the game was over.

I don't know if somebody already made this suggestion:
The Planes bonusses are unique for this map, so I don't want to remove them, but having the Planes as normal starting territories favours the starting team in most of the games, so I would suggest having the Planes start as neutrals (maybe just 1, so they are easy to grab, but at least you have round 1 to break your opponents bonusses and not having yourself in a lost position before you even took your first turn).
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby Knight2254 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:02 pm

owenshooter wrote:
Knight2254 wrote:As I stated earlier the only effective points on the map are going to be the AA guns because they are +1 by holding 1 territory while you potentially have to hold 4 isolated points for +3? This makes little sense to me.

or you could keep the guns at +1, but make the bonus automatically added to the gun... never thought of that before.. as far as the planes go, there are some really good ideas in here. when someone lands on a plane bonus, it is just too hard to get them off of it, and often times it is the end of the game if they hold it for their turn... still love the map... but these bonus updates are an interesting fix...-0

I actually like the auto-deploy +1 to the AA guns -- great suggestion. I would agree that if you wanted to slightly balance this map doing that and perhaps making the plane bonus +2 for 2 held, +3 for 3, ect., would make it more balanced.

On a side note -- we're coming back in a 4 player game right now with perhaps the worst drop I've ever had on Pearl: Game 5733713.

Though I did lose on a bad drop to Chephren and his gang in Game 5719484 which we could do nothing about.
Brigadier Knight2254

Postby MrBenn on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:02 pm

It's been a while since the change was announced - the next step is for the map to be withdrawn for new games. We'll give it a couple of weeks for existing games to disappear before implementing any changes.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby timl2k9 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:47 am

The oil tap is not obvious to me to be part of oil storage, this could use visual improvement.
Sergeant 1st Class timl2k9

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:27 am

timl2k9 wrote:The oil tap is not obvious to me to be part of oil storage, this could use visual improvement.

not even with the small white storage tank symbol on it the same as with the legend.
first time this has ever been mentioned i beleive.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Riazor on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:39 am

MrBenn wrote:It's been a while since the change was announced - the next step is for the map to be withdrawn for new games. We'll give it a couple of weeks for existing games to disappear before implementing any changes.

Huh? What?! Noooo! We're playing a tournament on it, and its our home map.
Oh, and if any changes HAVE to be made, please consider doing something along these lines (instead of neutering plane bonuses):

Forza AZ wrote:I don't know if somebody already made this suggestion:
The Planes bonusses are unique for this map, so I don't want to remove them, but having the Planes as normal starting territories favours the starting team in most of the games, so I would suggest having the Planes start as neutrals (maybe just 1, so they are easy to grab, but at least you have round 1 to break your opponents bonusses and not having yourself in a lost position before you even took your first turn).
Lieutenant Riazor

Postby lord voldemort on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:45 am

indeed...though something needs to be done....i dont like being burned on it
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:34 pm

This is the new Version 45 with the adjustments.

Click image to enlarge.

888 images

Click image to enlarge.

This is the xml file for checking.
Coordinates have been changed only for K6.

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/Pearl_Har ... 040909.xml

Small
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... urV45S.jpg
Large
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... urV45L.jpg
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:57 pm

The Pearl Harbor will be taken out of play for a little while now. Active games will be allowed to continue; the map will be relaunched and available again at some point on December 7th - the updated gameplay will be as per the update in the above post by cairnswk.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused - there will be some fall-out, but this way the damage to games-in-progress will be minimised.

--MrBenn
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby laughingcavalier on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Really sad to see the planes bonus being effectively taken away. I've always liked the complexity of this map. Would much prefer to see a solution like Forza's or just making 2 planes a +2 bonus.
I thought the planes won at pearl harbour, so I thought that was why they were given such A good bonus.
Major laughingcavalier

Postby timl2k9 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 pm

cairnswk wrote:
timl2k9 wrote:The oil tap is not obvious to me to be part of oil storage, this could use visual improvement.

not even with the small white storage tank symbol on it the same as with the legend.
first time this has ever been mentioned i beleive.

Yes. It is too small, and not easy to perceive as a hexagon. It's vague.
Sergeant 1st Class timl2k9

Postby Gilligan on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:43 pm

MrBenn wrote:the map will be relaunched and available again at some point on December 7th

Was that a joke, or was it a truth? :P

(FYI Pearl Harbor was on December 7, 1941)
Captain Gilligan

Postby InsomniaRed on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Gilligan wrote:
MrBenn wrote:the map will be relaunched and available again at some point on December 7th

I think that's the point :P If not, good coincidence :ugeek:
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Postby Gilligan on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:58 pm

InsomniaRed wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

Well, who's to say that the games will be done by the 7th?
Captain Gilligan

Postby MrBenn on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Gilligan wrote:
InsomniaRed wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

Well, who's to say that the games will be done by the 7th?

The choice of date was deliberate, so :ugeek: right back at you :P

A lot of the active games will have finished by then - but we'll be putting reminders/notifications into the game chat of active games so that people are aware.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Knight2254 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:48 am

Congrats, you just killed a great map.

:roll:
Brigadier Knight2254

Postby 4red on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:30 pm

What are you guys doing. The map was one of my favorites. Maybe an acquired taste but I aways enjoyed playing it good or bad drop. There are plenty of maps I dont like and its simple, I DONT PLAY THEM. Please bring it back and don't fix what isn't broke.

Cheers 4red
Major 4red

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:39 pm

60 active games still on....migth be a chance that no games will be affected by 7 Dec.
Private cairnswk

Postby waseemalim on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:16 am

cant wait for the new map to be on play.
Life is what happens while you are busy playing Conquer Club.
Brigadier waseemalim

Postby aspalm on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 am

extremely disappointed. i reiterate my earlier statement that this is one of the best, if not THE best trips/quads maps available. i agree that the drops can be unfair in a singles game, but why does every board have to cater to singles games? for those who complain here's a suggestion: don't play Pearl Harbor in a singles game.

instead we have to go and ruin a perfectly good board. i agree with those who say the strategy just devolved into take and hold the AA's, because this immediately makes any plane bonuses impossible. ridiculous.
Major aspalm

Postby Siy on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:12 am

The aircraft bonus was what made this game. I also thought it was to highlight how aircraft where the decisive weapon at pearl harbor. I also will be disappointed to see this map change. Why can't both maps run and let the users choose which they'd rather play.
Sergeant 1st Class Siy

Postby Mustapha Mond on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:41 pm

aspalm wrote:extremely disappointed. i reiterate my earlier statement that this is one of the best, if not THE best trips/quads maps available. i agree that the drops can be unfair in a singles game, but why does every board have to cater to singles games? for those who complain here's a suggestion: don't play Pearl Harbor in a singles game.

instead we have to go and ruin a perfectly good board. i agree with those who say the strategy just devolved into take and hold the AA's, because this immediately makes any plane bonuses impossible. ridiculous.

Completely agreed. Why the hell not just make a Pearl 2 map? Some of us love it just like it is, "warts and all".
Private 1st Class Mustapha Mond

Postby MrBenn on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:32 pm

lackattack isn't keen on the idea of having two essentially identical maps up in play. I agree that multiple options of the same map would be nice, but I imagine it would make things a bit too complicated overall?

The real reason for the change, is that enough people have criticised the imbalance of the drop, and the mapmaker wants to make the amendment(s). ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Redfelt on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:30 pm

aspalm wrote:extremely disappointed. i reiterate my earlier statement that this is one of the best, if not THE best trips/quads maps available. i agree that the drops can be unfair in a singles game, but why does every board have to cater to singles games? for those who complain here's a suggestion: don't play Pearl Harbor in a singles game.

i fully agree, such a travesty, all for some suckhole crybabies
Colonel Redfelt

Postby rjwall41 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Why is the map closed?
Sergeant 1st Class rjwall41

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas