Conquer Club

Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Postby natty dread on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Image Image Image Image<-- \:D/

Ok here's a map of the
Nordic Countries!

Big thanks to: The.Killing.44, Isaiah40, Industrial Helix, MrBenn, Eyestone, Snufkin, Alstergren, Peter Gibbons, Ender516, Evil_DIMwit, all the other foundry mods and also to the whole Foundry Community for helping me make this map into what it is today. I wanted to add thanks to you into the map, but the list grew so long so I decided to post this on the first page of the thread instead.

Current feedback/comment requests:

- does this map go to beta soon?

Latest versions

Updated images - upload these please

large: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2039 ... opev60.png
small: http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9930/n ... 0small.png

Latest XML

XML file: http://h1.ripway.com/ndread/nordic_xml_9.xml

Latest images, version 60

60 - for upload
large:
Click image to enlarge.

small: Image

59a
large
Click image to enlarge.

small

show: older versions

Gameplay specifics

62 territories on 9 bonus zones (3 superzones). Of the territories, 57 are regular, 5 are capitals with autodeploy. The regular territories start as normal, the capitals start as neutrals, with 3 neutral troops each...

Of the 57 regular territories, the 9 that border capitals will be coded as starting positions. This will prevent players from getting an unfair advantage by dropping next to capitals. Everyone will have equal chance to grab the capitals.

show: Starting positions, list

show: Capitals

show: Bonus areas

show: Data on bonuses, bonus combinations

To-do list:

Nothing at the moment. Waiting for map to be beta tested.

Map ownership / copyright

The author retains copyright on their work, and gives Conquer Club permission to use the imagery free of charge, for as long as Conquer Club sees fit on the Conquer Club website. Conquer Club cannot sell, lease, or lend the right to use the images to anyone else. The author swears that their map is their own work, or a legal derivative work and by submitting it, do hereby claim all responsibility for that being true.

signed: natty_dread
Last edited by natty dread on Sun May 09, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 175 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: Northern Europe <v1½> p1

Postby natty dread on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:40 pm

A bit of touch up here and there. Fixed a few things. Some small things still need fixing.

Click image to enlarge.

OK, so what's next? Any suggestions? Ideas? Gameplay or graphics-wise?

Is this a map worth developing?

Re: Northern Europe <v.1½> p1

Postby RjBeals on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:47 pm

cool texture on the lands, although i'm not sure it works to well on a map. Nice start though.
Private RjBeals

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Personally, I prefer territories rather that interlinked cities... but your choice really. I like the graphics though. And shouldn't this be called something like greater scandanavia?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 pm

ND,
Nice start. I like where this is going. I will suggest to you the same hing that I have suggested to many map makers.
A good work of art needs contrast. You need to contrast the water from the land. Make one on the dark side, and the other light. Try making the water a very light shade of blue, or turquoise. This will make the land stand out. After you do this you will probably not need the outer glow on the land.
Good luck. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby RjBeals on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:54 pm

yes. northern sweden blends in too much with the oceans.
Private RjBeals

Postby grifftron on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:18 pm

i like it natty
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Good start!! =D>

Just a couple of things to start. The ocean, can you knock down the opacity a little or change it something a little more subdued? It pops out too much. The colors of the bonuses need to be changed around or switch out colors because I am having difficulty seeing the switch between one bonus and another. I am not color blind so I can just imagine the trouble for someone who is. Other than these two things for now looking good, hopefully this map goes far!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks for all the feedback! All good suggestions and will be taken in account for the next version. This was never supposed to be nothing more than a draft to show where the continents and territories would be, but I got kinda carried away with it... :D

And shouldn't this be called something like greater scandanavia?

Let me explain my reasoning. Scandinavia only consists of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and maybe a bit of Finland. I started out wanting to make a map of the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland) but then I thought to include Estonia because they're culturally very very close to Finland, they're practically same people, they just got separated from each other somewhere along the way. So now that I put in Estonia I couldn't even call this the Nordic Countries anymore, so I decided on Northern Europe.

So anyway, let me sum up all the changes that need doing:

- add contrast water/ land
- distinguish bonus colours from each other better
- add more contrast between sweden / ocean

I'll add one of my own:

- draw a better legend

I may be adding a few more territories. Saaremaa, that island on the west coast of Estonia, would make for a good link between Estonia and Sweden. Right now the sea route is between Pärnu and Gotland, and IIRC Pärnu isn't even a port town! #-o

Postby jefjef on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Northern Europe? Not sure it's the correct name for the region. Perhaps Nordic Countries.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:25 pm

natty_dread wrote:Let me explain my reasoning. Scandinavia only consists of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and maybe a bit of Finland. I started out wanting to make a map of the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland) but then I thought to include Estonia because they're culturally very very close to Finland, they're practically same people, they just got separated from each other somewhere along the way. So now that I put in Estonia I couldn't even call this the Nordic Countries anymore, so I decided on Northern Europe.

Anyway, the project name is Northern Europe for now. A name change may be considered later on, like happened on the protein map -> Proteins 101. I'm still working on both maps btw, I won't abandon either unless public opinion clearly shows that the map(s) are not wanted...

Re: Northern Europe <v.2> p1

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:33 pm

v.2

Click image to enlarge.

imageshack is acting up at the moment, the image should be visible in a moment.

damn, I'll try uploading again...

now it should work.

Postby soundman on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:48 pm

natty_dread wrote:v.2

Click image to enlarge.

imageshack is acting up at the moment, the image should be visible in a moment.

damn, I'll try uploading again...

now it should work.

I like it. But you need someway to show which bonus is which.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:18 pm

There will be, check the previous versions. I just haven't yet decided on the bonuses, so I'll let it be for now.

Anyone have any suggestions for the continent boni?

Postby soundman on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:18 pm

natty_dread wrote:There will be, check the previous versions. I just haven't yet decided on the bonuses, so I'll let it be for now.

Anyone have any suggestions for the continent boni?

The previous versions are color coded. The new text box has all the same color font so you don't know what's what.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:52 pm

That's what I'm trying to tell you. Check the previous version to see how I will colour the legend. The latest version's legend is just to show the style that the legend is going to have. I didn't finish the legend of the latest version because I'm still unsure of the bonuses for the continents. The first version had a rough guesstimate of the bonuses, but I'd like some professional opinions on how to arrange the bonuses before the I finish the legend for the next version, and when I do that I will do the colour codes for the legend again.

Besides, the bonus colours have changed. And I might still have to change them...

So.
Any ideas for the continent bonuses?

I don't have a spreadsheet software installed (I think) so could someone run the bonus calculator spreadsheet for me?

Postby soundman on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:12 am

Ok I get it now. Here's a link to a couple bonus spreadsheets: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=466&t=1410 They're towards the bottom. :)
Lieutenant soundman

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:54 am

I don't have a spreadsheet software installed (I think) so could someone run the bonus calculator spreadsheet for me?

please? :)

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:04 am

Vewsion thwee

Click image to enlarge.

Re: Northern Europe <v.3> p1,2

Postby grandin on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:46 am

Great start, natty!

A couple of suggestions:

Coloring/style;
In my opinion, the map is way to dark. As porkenbeans said, the water needs to be contrasted from the land. I also think that the land areas should have a more 'natural' feel to the colors.
The color scheme combined with the style of the legend makes the whole thing feel like an old worn-down soviet military base.

Regions, Sweden;
Splitting Sweden into only two regions might work, but not where it is done at the moment. Ask a swede where the northern parts of sweden begin, and he might say anything from Gävle to Mora or Sundsvall, but not many would agree that it is as far north as you've drawn the line - and no one would agree that Sveg is in the south of Sweden.
It would be more accurate to use the commonly accepted region of Norrland

The best option would be to use three regions, namely Norrland, Svealand and Götaland

//Really looking forward to someone actually finishing a Norden map :D
Major grandin

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:21 am

grandin wrote:Great start, natty!

A couple of suggestions:

Coloring/style;
In my opinion, the map is way to dark. As porkenbeans said, the water needs to be contrasted from the land. I also think that the land areas should have a more 'natural' feel to the colors.

I already made the land lighter in the latest update, also the sea is now darker. I've also added a slight drop shadow around the land to further contrast it from the water.

The color scheme combined with the style of the legend makes the whole thing feel like an old worn-down soviet military base.

Well, that's kinda what I was going for! :D

In all seriousness, I know the graphical style is a bit unorthodox and different from other maps, but I don't think that's necessarily a flaw. I want the map to stand out with the graphical style.

Regions, Sweden;
Splitting Sweden into only two regions might work, but not where it is done at the moment. Ask a swede where the northern parts of sweden begin, and he might say anything from Gävle to Mora or Sundsvall, but not many would agree that it is as far north as you've drawn the line - and no one would agree that Sveg is in the south of Sweden.

Well, yes, I agree, but gameplay-wise it was the best choice. As you see I didn't go by any geographical regions, because I didn't want the continents to be too unbalanced. I don't want to make an Asia on this map, a huge chunk of land which nobody wants because it's too hard to defend. Splitting it to three parts would make for too much small bonus areas, since I already have three very small bonus areas.

It would be more accurate to use the commonly accepted region of Norrland

The best option would be to use three regions, namely Norrland, Svealand and Götaland

//Really looking forward to someone actually finishing a Norden map :D

Like I said, sometimes it's necessary to sacrifice geographical/historical accuracy in favor of better gameplay. After all, this is a gaming site, not an educational one :D

But I very much appreciate your feedback, and I will look into it and see if I can implement some of the suggestions in the next update.

Postby jefjef on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:11 am

I'm sorry but I just don't get the name.

Estonia isn't considered part of Europe. Denmark is barely but is also part of Scandanavia & Nordic countries. Iceland is Nordic.

Confused. But anyway looks like you have a good start.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:42 am

Estonia isn't considered part of Europe. Denmark is barely but is also part of Scandanavia & Nordic countries. Iceland is Nordic.

Let me guess... you're an American? :lol:

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Estonia is very much a part of europe, it even belongs to the European Union. As is & does Denmark. Iceland is part of the Nordic countries along with Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland, and the Nordic countries are considered to be a part of europe. All of them except Norway belong to the EU.

I named the map Northern Europe because it sounds better than "The Nordic Countries and Estonia", ok? :D

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:49 am

This map has a long way to go visually. Mechanically, the game play we'll have to delve into...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:06 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:This map has a long way to go visually.

Of course it does, it's version #3 for gob's sake... :D

Mechanically, the game play we'll have to delve into...

As always, I would love to hear your ideas and insight. Let me pick your brain! :)

Next

Return to The Atlas