Conquer Club

[GF] Saved Searches in Game Finder

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Saved Settings for Game Finder?

Postby danman101 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 pm

I always find it a bit of a hassle to search for games using the "Game Finder." Why do we have to fill out the same or similar information every time we search for a single game? Thanks for your consideration of my request for saved settings.
Corporal danman101

Re: Saved Settings for Game Finder?

Postby Vermont on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:40 pm

I fully support this idea!
Major Vermont

Postby Timminz on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:41 pm

There is a script that does exactly this. I believe it's called "Saved Searches Script". You will find it in the Plugins & Addons sub-forum in General Discussion.
Captain Timminz

Postby Timminz on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Captain Timminz

Searchable 'Joine A Game'

Postby tundrapie on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 am

It would be great if we could quickly narrow down from the 2,000+ games that are available to only those that we are interested in, i.e., only doodle or assassin doubles games. Also be able to save such searches as favorites for each user. Far to laborious the way it is set up now.
Sergeant tundrapie

Re: Searchable 'Joine A Game'

Postby Thezzaruz on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 am

:? Gotta be a wind up but anyhow...

Game finder (in the left hand menu) for all your search needs.
Plug-in forum has a "save search" script.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Saved Search Preferences - Faster Searching

Postby Jippd on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Just a thought but maybe to store the last search preferences that you selected. That way if you don't find a game that fits your requirements (especially if searching for speed games) you can easily search again.

I find it tedious to click the same check boxes for every search . I would prefer the option to either store a saved search preference, that will have set boxes checked every time I click 'Game Finder'

Another option is that the last search setting would be 'saved' IE whatever you checked last would come up again and you would have to change the checkboxes if you wanted to or you could just click the search button to have the games come up.

Let me know what you think, I know it would save me a lot of time...I'm primarily a speed games player.
Major Jippd

Re: Saved Search Preferences - Faster Searching

Postby soundman on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:56 pm

I don't know if this will help you but when you search for a game you can hit the little arrows that take you from page to page and when you do that it refreshes the search.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Seems like a good addition. In the mean time have a look in the plug-in forum, IIRC there is a script that does this.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby Jippd on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks to both of you will have to look for the script.

Also the back and forward button does work, didn't realize it would because when I hit back the checkboxes are empty. Definitely makes my searching a little easier.

Possibly another thought...on the search results page, just create a button that refreshes your search with the options you had checked.

If there is more than one pages of searches perhaps it would also randomize it? I don't play 24 hour turn games but maybe this would help so that when you search for them you don't only see 10 games that one person has created in a row of the same map with same rules as I know happens a lot.
Major Jippd

Postby haggispittjr on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:09 pm

this is something ive been wanting for a while actualy
Lieutenant haggispittjr

Game Finder remembers your preferences

Postby z19z4 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Every time someone goes to Game Finder they normally use the same preferences and it's a pain in the butt to have to re-enter them every single time you go to Game Finder. It would be nice if Game Finder remembered your preferences so you dont always have to enter them. If someone wanted to change a preference then they could (obviously).
Cook z19z4

Re: Game Finder remembers your preferences

Postby Timminz on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:49 pm

There is a script called "Saved Searches" (I think that's what it's called). You can find it in the "Plugins & Add-Ons" sub-Forum of General discussion.
Captain Timminz

Revamp "Join a Game" page

Postby Grifter on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Concise description:
  • Revamp the Join a Game page so that it always displays games using a set of saved criteria. The gamer can use the Game Finder page to set and save the criteria.

Specifics:
  • Currently it displays all waiting games which last time I checked was 2500+ games on 26 pages. This makes the list almost useless. No one is going to go through the entire list
  • The default criteria will be Standard Automatic Sequential No Fog Casual Public. This brings the list down to 300+ games on 4 pages. This criteria is designed to make it easy for new players to find a simple game to start with.
  • On the Game Finder page add a checkbox to "Save criteria for Join a Game" beside the Search button. If checked then it will save this criteria and use it.
  • Display this criteria at the top of the Join a Game page

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Makes the page easier to use
  • Each gamer can customize it to what they like to play
  • Will encourage beginners to stick to the simple games to start with.
Lieutenant Grifter

Re: Revamp "Join a Game" page

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:43 pm

=D> Really good suggestion here.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:56 pm

There is a plug-in for this.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Grifter on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:56 pm

plug-ins are handy but it would be nice to build this into the site. That way IE users can benefit as well.

Another suggestion - add a feature to sort the list of games by different options.
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby Queen_Herpes on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:There is a plug-in for this.

It would be appreciated and helpful if those of you who have FireFox and/or another browser that supports plugins, add-ons and scripts would stop pointing out that "Plug-ins, etc., etc., exist" for the suggestions made here in the suggestion forum.

As to this suggestion of changing the game finder to pre-set, user-selected preferences: I would really like to see it happen. I'm glad someone thought of it and the programming for it is likely swift and easy.

Thank you for posting this suggestion.
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby sherkaner on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:14 pm

Agreed, this would be a nice addition to the join game page. And it shouldn't be hard to implement at all.
(And I don't think there's a script that does exactly this btw, if there is, please tell me which..)
Colonel sherkaner

Game Finder Favourite Settings

Postby dbyron on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Concise description:
  • Have it so there is a "favourites" setting in game finder where you can search your favourite game settings and maps without having to select each option or 30 individual maps when you search games via game finder.

Specifics:
  • On the game finder page have a "Search Favourites" option that can be setup and changed by the player so that they can search for games with their typical game settings with the click of a button. If a player wants to search for something other than their typical game styles they can still do so in game finder however this would speed things up for players who search games over a lot of different maps.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • The Game Finder section
Lieutenant dbyron

Postby Duality. on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:04 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:There is a plug-in for this.

That plug-in happens to be flawed.
Sergeant 1st Class Duality.

Postby Grifter on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks for the feedback. If you like this idea then be sure to mention it to your friends and ask them add their response. If enough people give their stamp of approval then maybe the webmaster will notice it. I am 0 for 5 on suggestions so hopefully this one is a winner - although everyone will win with this idea.
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby Baron Von PWN on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:45 am

I really like this suggestion in fact i was about to log in to post it! I would add to it however, currently when you join a game, it redirects you to your "awaiting players section" It would be nice if it didn't do this and you could keep joining games.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby Duality. on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Baron Von PWN wrote:I really like this suggestion in fact i was about to log in to post it! I would add to it however, currently when you join a game, it redirects you to your "awaiting players section" It would be nice if it didn't do this and you could keep joining games.

Just press Ctrl when you're clicking so that it opens in a new tab and you can continue to join. I think changing it could be an issue for times when someone joins the last place on a team you intended to join and you get moved to other team and don't notice until it's too late.
Sergeant 1st Class Duality.

Re: Game Finder Favourite Settings

Postby dbyron on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:07 pm

This could also be used in the "Start a Game" area where you could have predetermined settings that you prefer to use for making games and simply load those and make a game or games with a click or two.
Lieutenant dbyron

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions