Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Divine Meteo Condition

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Divine Meteo Condition

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:14 am

Latest incarnation:

Click image to enlarge.

8 neutral-coded starting positions, each consisting of a pantheon and a sky god. Limit of two starting positions per player.
Other deities start at 2 neutrals each
8 Temples start at 2 neutrals; other earthly territories are random drop
Underworld territories all start at 1 except for altars which start at 3

40 Heavenly territories (8 pantheons, 32 deities)
57 Earthly territories (8 temples, 49 random drop)
24 Underworld territories (5 portals, 8 crypts, 3 altars, 8 empty)

Starting territory count:
2p: 20; | 3p: 20; | 4p: 16 | 5p: 11 | 6p: 10 | 7p: 9 | 8p: 8

Original post (first version of gameplay idea):

As I'm certain many of us are aware, some genius decided to take the idea behind Conquer Club and make a board game out of it. As expected, it was pretty crappy: There were at most six players, no fog of war, and worst of all, there was only one map to play. But it sold! It sold like crazy. It sold so well they decided to make more. They even went above and beyond with game mechanics that Conquer Club just doesn't have: Special cards, special pieces, special rules.
I've been playing around with the idea of a map inspires by Risk Godstorm. Much as I hate the idea of another Europe map, I've clocked in a lot of good hours on Godstorm and I think the mechanism of calling down the gods (and goddesses) themselves to help you smite your foes could work fairly well for Conquer Club.

For the uninitiated: Risk Godstorm is a variant of Risk, published by Avalon Hill, that takes place on "Ancient Earth," a fantasy version of Europe divided into archaic and mythical territories:

In addition to regular units, players gain faith tokens that they can use to build temples, buy and use special cards, and summon god units that add specific bonuses to your army (I'm glossing over a lot of information; look up more specific rules if you'd like). When troops die, instead of being removed from play, they go to the Underworld:

Click image to enlarge.

Here they can fight over certain bonuses and make their way to crypts from which they can be re-summoned to temples on the surface.

Translating gameplay elements into Conquer Club terms is no mean feat, but I've a few mechanisms in mind. First of all, each player gets a temple territory that acts as a capital (the temple is not a separate territory from the ground it's on). Each temple is marked on this map with its civilization's name:

Note that this is only a sketch to show the configuration; it's drawn on the (very copyrighted) Godstorm map itself and ours will obviously have to look at least somewhat different.

A temple can assault that civilization's four gods, which in turn can assault each other and the temple. The gods are as follows:
==] Sky: Provides 2 deployable troops, assaults any territory within your home region. Everyone starts with their sky god.
==] War: Provides an extra troop for every 4 territories you own on earth.
==] Death: Has 5-troop auto-deploy; can one-way assault any underworld portal.
==] Trickster: Bombards other players' gods.
The list of gods I'm planning to use:
show

The gods are demanding and their favor decays by 1 troop per turn (except for the Death god because that's silly).

The underworld looks something like this:
It starts entirely neutral. The red rectangles are doorways that any Death God can attack. The stars are crypts, each of which give you 1 troop to deploy (they probably connect back to the surface by some method I haven't decided yet, like having exit territories at certain points; maybe if we're lucky conditional borders will get implemented by the time we're done and they'll just connect to any temple you own). The circles are altars; owning two gives you +4 and all three give you +10. The underworld does not give you troops (if possible -- depends on whether the 3-troop deployment minimum can be breached by negative bonuses).

In the real Godstorm, you collect victory points and the game ends after five turns (and five turns is really a long time). In our case, it suffices only to conquer the whole of Earth for the glory of your gods.

In any case, that's my proposal unless I've forgotten anything. I'd appreciate any thoughts, and I'd really appreciate any artists willing to help in that department.
Last edited by Evil DIMwit on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 10 times in total.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Conquer Club Generic-Brand Divine Meteorological Condition

Postby natty dread on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:13 am

The gods are demanding and their favor decays by 1 troop per turn (except for the Death god because that's silly).

Yeah, you couldn't even have autodeploy and decay on the same territory, since decay is just a negative autodeploy...

The underworld does not give you troops (if possible -- depends on whether the 3-troop deployment minimum can be breached by negative bonuses).

The 3 troop deployment minimum can be modified in the XML. I think the smallest possible troops you can get is 1 troop. You can modify it so that owning territories doesn't give you 1 troop for every 3, but instead 1 troop for every 10 or 1 troop for every 20... And the minimum can be set with another variable.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, and I'd really appreciate any artists willing to help in that department.

I love the gameplay on this. I would love to help with the graphics, but I have too many projects going on at the moment... I'm just too busy with them at the moment. :/
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:38 am

The gameplay sounds pretty unique and worth pursuing. I've never played godstorm but I think I want to now.

On thing to consider is making it not Europe. Throw some aztecs and incas in there, the Hindus, ect. It might help to make the map more non-European and escape from some of that darned copyright. Or, you could just roll with the map you've got and then after it becomes a hit everyone could beg you to make a sequel revolving around other religions. Hell, now that I think about it... this might be a really cool idea for an India map.

As for artist duty... I'm kind of tied up atm.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:28 pm

natty_dread wrote:
The underworld does not give you troops (if possible -- depends on whether the 3-troop deployment minimum can be breached by negative bonuses).

The 3 troop deployment minimum can be modified in the XML. I think the smallest possible troops you can get is 1 troop. You can modify it so that owning territories doesn't give you 1 troop for every 3, but instead 1 troop for every 10 or 1 troop for every 20... And the minimum can be set with another variable.

The question is, if I have a total of -1 deployment bonus, will I deploy 2 at the start of my turn? If I have -3, will I not be able to deploy at all? If that's not the case, it's just a question of having -1 troop for every 3 underworld territories you own. If there's a danger that a player can get stuck in the underworld with nine territories and can't deploy anything at all then I'd like to avoid that solution.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:The gameplay sounds pretty unique and worth pursuing. I've never played godstorm but I think I want to now.

On thing to consider is making it not Europe. Throw some aztecs and incas in there, the Hindus, ect. It might help to make the map more non-European and escape from some of that darned copyright. Or, you could just roll with the map you've got and then after it becomes a hit everyone could beg you to make a sequel revolving around other religions. Hell, now that I think about it... this might be a really cool idea for an India map.

I agree avoiding Europe might be a good idea. Once Industrial Helix mentioned India, my mind went to Alexander's Empire, but broader than the existing CC map, and perhaps even broader than Alexander covered (since you have Slavic, Celtic, and Norse gods on deck). The Hindu gods might be a nice addition here. I guess by the time you put all of these in, it will be too big to fit the map limits. Planning for a sequel may be the way to go.
Sadly, I'm no artist. Maybe someday, but for now I'm just an XML dude. I hope to get more time to ponder the gameplay and make some more suggestions, but natty_dread has made a good start.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:05 pm

The question is, if I have a total of -1 deployment bonus, will I deploy 2 at the start of my turn? If I have -3, will I not be able to deploy at all? If that's not the case, it's just a question of having -1 troop for every 3 underworld territories you own. If there's a danger that a player can get stuck in the underworld with nine territories and can't deploy anything at all then I'd like to avoid that solution.

I believe the minimum deployable troops comes in effect here. If you set the minimum to 3 (as is in most maps), then your deployment can't go below 3, no matter if your total bonus is -9. You will still always get those 3 troops. But, I'm not sure about this, and you should consult an XML Xpert about the issue... ;)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:20 pm

ender516 wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:The gameplay sounds pretty unique and worth pursuing. I've never played godstorm but I think I want to now.

I agree avoiding Europe might be a good idea. Once Industrial Helix mentioned India, my mind went to Alexander's Empire, but broader than the existing CC map, and perhaps even broader than Alexander covered (since you have Slavic, Celtic, and Norse gods on deck). The Hindu gods might be a nice addition here. I guess by the time you put all of these in, it will be too big to fit the map limits. Planning for a sequel may be the way to go.

I'm not pleased to do a Europe map but there are few other areas of the world that I can really get a good number of pantheons for. For the Americas there might be a good variety but most of them wouldn't be recognizable and it's end up being a lot like the First Nations maps. Africa would be nice but, again, not many recognizable pantheons. I did try to sketch out what an Asia map might look like:

Question marked names mean either I don't have a good list of deities for that culture, or I'm not sure the list I've come up with is appropriate. Question marks mean another civilization could possibly fit there but I don't have one handy.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby MrBenn on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:04 am

Hmmm.... reminds me of mibi's Trojan War map, that got bogged down in the map-size mire :x
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:04 pm

MrBenn wrote:Hmmm.... reminds me of mibi's Trojan War map, that got bogged down in the map-size mire :x

Ohhhhh yeahhhhh, I remember that one. Shame it never got anywhere. Still, I'm convinced 630x600 is plenty of room for an epic.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Hmmm.... reminds me of mibi's Trojan War map, that got bogged down in the map-size mire :x

Ohhhhh yeahhhhh, I remember that one. Shame it never got anywhere. Still, I'm convinced 630x600 is plenty of room for an epic.

Wow, that is a dense map. Not much room for graphics to show through, but agreed, that is epic in scale (though I think I would have rearranged it to avoid putting half the text sideways). It does demonstrate that a great deal of information can be packed into the limits as they stand.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby b00kw0rm on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Lower Africa under Egypt should be Nubia.
My Tournaments:
Age of Conquerors [WINNER: br4nd0n2002]
Team Clash [WINNERS: bfunny27 & DBandit70]
Sibling Rivalry [ONGOING]
Private b00kw0rm

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Oh, I strangely forgot about this. Yes, Nubia is correct for that region.

Also, this map is actually kind of on hold pending the next XML update, whatever it is.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby b00kw0rm on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Haha, I just noticed the date on that last post.

I got to this discussion from your sig.
My Tournaments:
Age of Conquerors [WINNER: br4nd0n2002]
Team Clash [WINNERS: bfunny27 & DBandit70]
Sibling Rivalry [ONGOING]
Private b00kw0rm

Postby captainwalrus on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:58 pm

I could see this being a combination of research and conquer and arms race. If you pray a bunch you can eventually bombard, but then also you could pray for other things. I don't really know but I think that a more mystical element could definitely make a good map.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Perhaps we should wait for a couple more XML updates. The way lack hinted at future updates, who knows what updates are coming... if we get conditional borders, this map could really be made amazing.

Postby Red6 0311 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:07 pm

As a huge fan of Godstorm and 2210, I'd love to see this made.
Cook Red6 0311

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Red6 0311 wrote:As a huge fan of Godstorm and 2210, I'd love to see this made.

My gosh, is that your first post? Now I've gotta make it.
I will wait for an XML update or two, but it'll be done eventually.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:39 am

Yeah well, I'm looking forward to this map as well.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: Conquer Club Generic-Brand Divine Meteorological Conditi

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:27 pm

I said this map would be back after an XML update, and now I stick to my word. I was hoping for conditional borders on this, but now that losing conditions are out, these could be put to just as good a use to make this map unique.

The setup: There are eight starting positions, each consisting of one pantheon and its associated sky god. The other gods are neutral. The underworld consists entirely of neutral 1s. There is no way to attack from between the underworld and the Earth, or from either to the Heavens. There is a losing condition that a player who owns no territories on the Earth is instantly eliminated.

Click image to enlarge.

(One issue I see is, what if your pantheon is nuked? It could be somewhat compensated for by letting your own gods assault the Pantheon back, but the other gods are open to bombardment... I don't like the idea of a player randomly and irrevocably losing their divine favor. It's possible to make each temple assault its own pantheon but that just makes it even easier for players to attack other players' pantheons directly, which I don't want. Gosh, I hope I don't have to wait for another XML update..)
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Glad to see this back in business =D>

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Also, I don't know if you should worry about nuclear games. I mean, there are tons of other maps that can be played with nuclear spoils, I don't think every map has to play well with nuclear.

Postby Riskismy on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:59 pm

I think you said in the first post that the gods of a pantheon can attack the pantheon territory itself? Not sure if that changed since then - but if not, all a player would have to do is conquer one of the other gods on his first turn, and he should be safe (barring the very worst of luck).

I like it a lot. Never heard of the board game version though. Will have to have a look-see. :)
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Riskismy wrote:I think you said in the first post that the gods of a pantheon can attack the pantheon territory itself? Not sure if that changed since then - but if not, all a player would have to do is conquer one of the other gods on his first turn, and he should be safe (barring the very worst of luck).

Nothing from the first post is guaranteed to apply anymore. I'm not sure whether or not the god-pantheon border should be two-directional -- under normal conditions, I suppose the benefit of that would be to let troops be reinforced from one God to another (and if you own the death and sky gods, from the Heavens to the underworld or your temple). I guess that's a good thing.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby MrBenn on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Well, if you're back on the wagon, let's push the boat into the stream... [moved]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Cool thanks
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Next

Return to Recycling Box