Auto kick first turn dead beats

Suggestions that have been inactive for a long period of time.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Auto kick first turn dead beats

Postby Ran Taro on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:23 pm

[MOD EDIT: This is a repository for all suggestions that would have players kicked out of a game for missing the first turn. This includes suggestions that would have this rule be applicable only to new recruits.

For other missed turn suggestions, see here.

If you see any suggestions that should be merged here, please post here or inform a moderator. Thank you. --agentcom
]

I think there should be an option to auto kick first turn deadbeats. I don't really want to play with people who I don't even know if they are gonna be bothered to show up, and are gonna make me wait for the privelidge of knowing, and perhaps, after many days of waiting, to play with them.

I'm playing a sequential game at the moment where NO ONE has attacked except for me. It is a total unfun, frustrating waste of time waiting 5 days for a turn in a dead game, just to not surrender.

Not to mention the fact that (in comparison to the frustration it causes) it isn't even really a very fun or fair tactic to pretend you are a total deadbeat, then make someone who is actually playing fairly wait through ALMOST A MONTH OF UTTER BOREDOM before suddenly surprising them with a squillion armies. You should at least have the option to play a sequential game without playing in such a total farce.

That's my 2c anyhow.
Last edited by agentcom on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title and post and created introduction
Corporal Ran Taro

Postby lackattack on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:42 pm

I feel that it would be too harsh to auto-kick after missing round 1. I'm sure many new players miss the first round, recover and become good veteran players.

There has to be a balance between giving new players a chance to figure it out and not pissing off veterans. I am open to adjusting auto-kick to happen after 3 missed turns instead of 4.

Why don't you add a poll to this topic: When should deadbeats be kicked-out?
a) after missing round 1
b) after missing 2 consecutive rounds
c) after missing 3 consecutive rounds
d) after missing 4 consecutive rounds

Like a dictator, I will do what I see fit but I can be swayed by the vote :wink:
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby Ran Taro on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:08 pm

I agree it might be too harsh as a blanket rule.

However, it should be an option when you start a game, so veterans can choose not to play with first turn deadbeats. This would get rid of an awful lot of "total" deadbeats right off the bat, making people less frustrated overall, and with an option to deal with their frustration.

I'll maybe I'll start a poll and see.
Corporal Ran Taro

Deatbeats from start of game

Postby JoeyB on Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:32 am

Hi,

I was wondering if you think anyone who misses the first and second turn of a game, shold be kicked automatically?

IE Dont wait for the 3rd turn if they miss the 1st 2. Perhaps its a small change but I think it would improve the overall experience.

JB
Private 1st Class JoeyB

Postby Spockers on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:34 am

I would say just first turn.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:00 am

Spockers wrote:I would say just first turn.
Not first turn, ppl do sometimes miss there turn. When in a busy period i log on once a day and sometimes they are spaced more than 24 hours apart.

I think another good suggestion would be to have armies only doubled, u can usually deal with double armies, triple armies hurt.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby RexRegis on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:02 am

doubles would be enought, or they would always be kicked out on the 2nd missed turn...

I hate playing a game that takes 3 days and then he comes back with tripple reinforcements... even worse if there is more then one doing this.

and I agree with Spockers, first turn shouldn't be missed...
Sergeant RexRegis

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)

Postby moz976 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:30 am

This is what I wrote in a thread similar thread and I think it applies to this suggestion as well

moz976 wrote:This has been suggested several times in many different forms. I think the bottom line is we don't want to discourage anyone from coming back to play. I remember the first game I set up I didn't realize how the game worked and went deadbeat on the first few games that I signed up for. But later I came back and haven't left since.
So just remember we were all noobs at one time and we wouldn't have wanted to be restricted when we first came to the site.
"The suitcoats say, 'There is money to be made.'
They get so excited, nothing gets in their way
My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved.
It's good for drifting, drifting away."
-Vedder
Private 1st Class moz976

Medals: 3
General Contribution (3)

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:05 pm

i am always missing some of my turns due to my crazy schedule (marching band, rock climbing, homework, school, sleep, etc.)

sometimes its unavoidable to miss a turn or two here and there and i dont think people should be kicked before their 3 turn limit
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Backglass on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:39 pm

moz976 wrote:I think the bottom line is we don't want to discourage anyone from coming back to play.

But they arent playing in the first place...thats the point.
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Herakilla on Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:01 pm

just make it so each player can only miss like 5 turns the WHOLE game, if 3 are in a row boot them but if they miss a total of 5 boot them. i hate people who purposefully miss turns even though it doesnt gain them any armies
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:59 am

Herakilla wrote:just make it so each player can only miss like 5 turns the WHOLE game, if 3 are in a row boot them but if they miss a total of 5 boot them. i hate people who purposefully miss turns even though it doesnt gain them any armies
What about those games that go on for a long time, easy to get 5 missed turns.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Herakilla wrote:just make it so each player can only miss like 5 turns the WHOLE game, if 3 are in a row boot them but if they miss a total of 5 boot them. i hate people who purposefully miss turns even though it doesnt gain them any armies

bad idea...
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Missed first turn automatic deadbeat [Rejected]

Postby Xyl on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 pm

* Suggestion Idea: Players who miss their first turn should be kicked out of the game immediately.
* Why it is needed: Many new recruits sign up, join four games, and then deadbeat. In most cases, they never play a single turn. Everyone has to wait for them to miss three turns and deadbeat, delaying the game 72 hours. If missing turn 1 was an automatic deadbeat, almost all the new recruit deadbeats would be kicked after delaying the game only 24 hours. Very few other players would be affected, because missing turn 1 is almost always a sign that the player is going to deadbeat.
Major Xyl

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:01 pm

We are looking into other ways to combat deadbeaters, and kicking them on the first turn is the last thing we want to do, as the whole idea of missed turns is to get people to come back.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Xyl on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm not sure how kicking someone on the first turn makes them not want to come back. Surely, when they do come back, they'd have just as much fun joining another game using their now-free slot as they would trying to get a start in a game where everyone else has a lead of a turn or two? If points are an issue, this goes well with the "no points for new recruit deadbeats" idea.
Major Xyl

Eliminate plyrs if they miss first turn of new game

Postby oceanfrank on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Sounds harsh I know, and I promise I did try and find a better way to say it. Having sad that I have noticed that a lot of the games I play with less than six players often include unrated players who sign up and never play. This drags the game out forever especially if there is more than one deadbeat in a single game which happens more than you might realize. Therefore, I would like to propose, if an unrated players signs up for a game and misses their first turn, after their 1st 24hour time limit expires, they are eliminated from the game after the first round.

This will improve the following aspects of the site by making it more attractive to play games with unranked players even if they deadbeat from the start

Also it will
- Speeds the game up for the rest of the players without wasting 3,6, or more days waiting for a deadbeat to be eliminated
- Encourages more rated players to play games with less than 6 players since the games will not drag on during the first several rounds waiting for the deadbeats non-starters to be eliminated
- Will help mitigate massive changes in strategy when a new player shows up after the second round with numerous reinforcements.
- Will keep unranked players who are trying to play from giving up because the games will provide more instant gratification due to increase in speed of round robin play
- Provides incentive to engage in the start of a game
- Unranked players will realized quickly they need to play or not sign up, providing more opportunity for other players who really want to play[/list]

I was not able to find discussion of this topic elsewhere, but if it was discussed and rejected I apologize for bringing it back up again.
Last edited by oceanfrank on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major oceanfrank

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Eliminate unrated plyrs if they miss first turn of new game

Postby zimmah on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:43 pm

don't be too harsh to newcomers, but on the other hand, they do indeed sometimes never show up at all.
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: Eliminate unrated plyrs if they miss first turn of new game

Postby oceanfrank on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah I hear ya, not being harsh on newcomers, just suggesting moving the game past people who sign up out of curiosity but decide not to play.
Major oceanfrank

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Eliminate plyrs if they miss first turn of new game

Postby Private Gump on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:23 am

I'd agree with you on this. I'm a newbie and have already been in several games with multiple deadbeats, which is frustrating to no end. I'd add a couple suggestions to this. Perhaps having some means for a person to retire from a game, rather than just abandoning it and wasting 3 days of their opponents time waiting for a deadbeat to take a turn. It also would give an opportunity to honorably concede when a game is obviously over. Another related suggestion is for there to be a visible statistic for the number of games a person has been kicked out of, or even kick them out of all games.
Cadet Private Gump

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)

Postby Fuzzylogic99 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:18 am

def frustrating but doing this will encourage farming,Yes we have rules against farming but
that does not mean that some players would not ways around them.I could think of a few
ways myself that I could get around the rule

Also something might of happened that made them leave miss the turn and come back later.
Im sure that it happens a lot less than the player missing all three turns but to the players
who accidentally miss their first turn this would be a bit unfair to them.

anyways I dont see Lacks buying into this idea
Private 1st Class Fuzzylogic99

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby jefjef on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I say eliminate players in manual deployment games if they miss there deploy. This will eliminate some questionable strategies.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9)
Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby ender516 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:00 am

Fuzzylogic99 wrote:def frustrating but doing this will encourage farming,Yes we have rules against farming but
that does not mean that some players would not ways around them.I could think of a few
ways myself that I could get around the rule

Also something might of happened that made them leave miss the turn and come back later.
Im sure that it happens a lot less than the player missing all three turns but to the players
who accidentally miss their first turn this would be a bit unfair to them.

anyways I dont see Lacks buying into this idea

It doesn't strike me as too harsh to toss a new recruit out of a game for missing the first turn. Have the system send a PM (or even an email if enabled) explaining what happened. The new recruit can always join another game.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:31 am

jefjef wrote:I say eliminate players in manual deployment games if they miss there deploy. This will eliminate some questionable strategies.

Only if the player does not lose points you are at a disadvantage if you miss deployment in a manual game. So don't punish that
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby Halmir on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:46 am

I'd support this - I had one 8 player game with 4 deadbeats!! - but definitely needs an explanatory pm / email to them.

I think the problem is that quite a number of noobs will sign up and expect to be playing a game instantly (a la most other instant gratification vendors). It's been a while since I registered so can't remember if this was explained when I did sign up, but if not a few notes before the final "I accept the terms" button might be useful?

Or keep all noobs in a holding pen until they've completed their first few games :) If u wanted to be really nice, u could let them play 1 speed game out of their 4 just to whet their appetites ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Halmir

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions