Conquer Club

Germany Revamp Competition - FINAL VOTE (page one)

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which map would you like to see as CC's Germany Map?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Map F
37%
Map I
63%

Total votes : 242

Re: Christmas Revamp - Foundry Style!

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:09 am

MrBenn wrote:As nobodies said, setting percentage limits doesn't really make a lot of sense...

The idea is to keep the shape and layout as similar as possible. This restriction is there to ensure ease of transition for players - so there shouldn't be any need for wholesale revisions or massive distortions. The flexibility is there in order to ensure that creativity, clarity and legibility don't need to be sacrificed.

I should add that submissions will require a large and small image.
I do not understand why the new map can not just be added to the roster, and leave the old one up until the ongoing games are played out. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:21 am

MrBenn wrote:I should add that submissions will require a large and small image.

What?!
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:23 am

RjBeals wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I should add that submissions will require a large and small image.

Seriously?

(edit) That seems like too much work. I think that 1 map, either large or small, should be an entry. I mean thats a lot of work for someone, where chances are the map may not even make it. I say 1 map, and if that person wins, a new thread is created for tweeks, then the alt size can be created.
2nd. that. =D>
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby MrBenn on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:56 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
RjBeals wrote:

Seriously?

(edit) That seems like too much work. I think that 1 map, either large or small, should be an entry. I mean thats a lot of work for someone, where chances are the map may not even make it. I say 1 map, and if that person wins, a new thread is created for tweeks, then the alt size can be created.
2nd. that. =D>

You're right... I was getting ahead of myself... 1 map (either big or small) - the winning map will have a brief time for final tweaks, which will include the companion map of the other size.
Stand down re the last...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:22 pm

What were the exact complaints with peps new map?
It might help us to understand what the public did and did not like.
Major WidowMakers

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:42 pm

WidowMakers wrote:What were the exact complaints with peps new map?

Not to be bitchy, but you should read the thread. Colors and font were the main issues.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby mibi on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:27 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:

Not to be bitchy, but you should read the thread. Colors and font were the main issues.

Um, I can tweak the colors in about 5 seconds. Then can we get on to revamping Africa. Or are we not equal opportunity map makers?
Captain mibi

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:49 pm

In theory, it should be harder to do without the source files, thus the competition.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Since I was one of the people who did not like the map I will summarize. In a few statements...

1. Perceived changing of places on the map. - Ya OK so the old one was not correct, but it is what we all know and loved. I always said to leave it like it was rather than trying to make it "more accurate"

2. Font was an eyesore and unreadable to mean

3. Color Scheme was just a bad idea. Just did not work at all for many people.

4. The Eagle over Netherlands. Just leave it off the top of another place.

Not trying to be rude, but that is how it is. I know these take lots of time, so there is the short version. Good luck!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:45 am

Bruceswar wrote:1. Perceived changing of places on the map. - Ya OK so the old one was not correct, but it is what we all know and loved. I always said to leave it like it was rather than trying to make it "more accurate"

There were a lot of complaints in the old old thread.
Bruceswar wrote:2. Font was an eyesore and unreadable to mean
3. Color Scheme was just a bad idea. Just did not work at all for many people.

Understandable
Bruceswar wrote:4. The Eagle over Netherlands. Just leave it off the top of another place.

Hilarious. People really took offense because it was on top of another country :lol:
Why are the insignias on Germany? Ahh! Well, it's hypocritical and hilarious, at least.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby danryan on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 am

As far as I'm concerned, the font is the #1 complaint while colors are #1A. Everything else is white noise to me.
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:26 am

Where can I find the XML of the current Germany map? It'd be useful as a reference...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:54 am

Germany revamp thread

All information, including the current xml file, is in the first post of the original revamp thread
ImageImage

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:12 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:Germany revamp thread

All information, including the current xml file, is in the first post of the original revamp thread

That's the first place I looked, but the link to the XML didn't work.

edit: now it says: User Account Exceeded Bandwidth This user account has exceeded their daily bandwidth limit. If this is your account, you might consider upgrading to a premium plan, or reduce the number or size of files you're sharing online. As soon as the total downloads from this account over a 24 hour period drops below the accounts limit, downloads will be restored.

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:21 pm

There's also a copy of the XML file in [code /code] there.

But just to be thorough... pulled the XML file up with a little poking through the Map Info Database.

http://maps.conquerclub.com/Germany_2.xml
ImageImage

Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:21 pm

MrBenn wrote:Revamp Competition
While the Foundry is having some down-time, it seems like a good time to be running a Revamp Competition!

The subject of the map in question has been a bit of "Heiße Kartoffel". Since the current Germany Revamp went live, legitimate concerns about visibility and legibility of some areas have been raised. Despite a lot of backlash from the CC community, the foundry gave its full support to the revamp on the assumption that amendments would be forthcoming. While there has been some discussion about the required adjustments, pepperonibread has gone into hiding, without submitting any further updates. Ordinarily, a crack commando unit of cartographers would be scrambled to make necessary changes, but without access to the source files there are too many amendments to adjust the map behind the scenes with ease.

With this in mind, the Foundry Team is proposing an open Graphics-only revamp of the existing Germany Map, in order to get it released from Beta as soon as possible.

Competition Rules:
  1. It is the mapmaker's responsibility to understand and comply with Foundry standards regarding image size, use of copyright-free images, leaving required space for army counts, etc. Maps not meeting Foundry standards and/or raising any copyright concerns may be withheld/removed from the competition.
  2. The competition is for a graphical revamp only: territory names and border connections must be unchanged from the current live version of the Germany Map.
  3. The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible; the idea is to make the transition between maps as easy as possible this time around, and in an ideal world we would want to keep the XML (technical description of the map) unchanged - although some flexibility will be allowed where necessary.
  4. In order to maintain anonymity, please refrain from posting your map publicly. Obtaining feedback and opinions on your entry is not forbidden, but patterns of irregular voting (ie block-clan votes) will be investigated.
  5. Collaborations are not forbidden, although only one person can be responsible for copyright ownership, and only one mapmaking medal will be awarded to the winning entry (pepperonibread will also be awarded a medal for revamping the territory/region configuration).
  6. Host your map file (one entry per contestant please) using Photobucket or some other file sharing program, and a link must be provided to MrBenn by 11:59pm GMT on December 27th, 2009. Late submissions will not be considered for entry.
  7. Submissions should be Final Forge standard, and will be shortlisted by the CAs if necessary, before a one-week voting period to determine the winner.
  8. Once the winner has been chosen, there will be a short period of polishing/checking before the winning submission will replace the Germany Map in Beta.
Recharge your glasses, and join me with three cheers for the Germany Revamp Competition!

Hip Hip Hooray!
ImageImage

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks, you've been most helpful.

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:56 pm

There was talk that the revamp should retain as much as possible of the current XML coordinates.

So, I had to move a total of 10 coordinates. Is that acceptable?

I could probably make it a bit less if it comes to that, it's just a matter of aesthetics...

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:58 pm

natty_dread wrote:There was talk that the revamp should retain as much as possible of the current XML coordinates.

I could probably make it a bit less if it comes to that, it's just a matter of aesthetics...

We've moved every single one…
Captain the.killing.44

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:10 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
natty_dread wrote:There was talk that the revamp should retain as much as possible of the current XML coordinates.

We've moved every single one…

#-o

Thanks for making me feel stupid... :D

So I guess I can just go crazy with the coordinates, eh...

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 pm

MrBenn told me to keep the names of everything.
Gfx and coordinates could change
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:11 pm

I'd refer you to point #3 of the competition rules:
The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible

Territory names and border connections should remain unchanged.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby edbeard on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:51 pm

I've always said that I think the large OR small thing is a bad idea. when you're doing mass votes from the public, you want them to be as close as possible. Either require both (seems like a lot of work). Or, require one or the other. I'd go with the small map since we've been told on numerous occasions that a large majority of people use the small map. Maybe it's too late now. I'd love to be given reign to run a revamp competition.

Though maybe I don't know anything. I liked Pep's Germany for the most part. I quite liked the colour scheme (at least the idea of it). The map was obviously a "Pep" map. People won't like any change for the most part even from terrible looking maps. Mibi or WM talked about this so I won't go into it. Anyway, enough complaining. I just hope this doesn't turn into another Central America thing where it never gets finished (I didn't look but I'm assuming this was abandoned). I always look forward to seeing the entries. We always get good ones.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 am

For the record, i thought the colors on the Germany 2 map were great. I liked the design and how it tied in with the flag. But everything else, ie mountains on the Rhine and the font, were a problem.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:45 am

Industrial Helix wrote:ie mountains on the Rhine

Whatcha mean?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... d_topo.jpg

The Rhine isn't near one of the places where the impassable's are on the CC map.
Captain the.killing.44

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions