Conquer Club

Germany Revamp Competition - FINAL VOTE (page one)

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which map would you like to see as CC's Germany Map?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Map F
37%
Map I
63%

Total votes : 242

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:50 pm

sully800 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
gimil wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:Yeah, I think that they're different as well, but only in terms of how the territories are laid out. Does that, should that, qualify a map as "unique"?

I don't think that is a discussion for this thread.

Is anyone else as excited as me for this competition? A good competition always gets me going!
Yeah, me too. :D

Does anyone know just how the voting is going to take place ?
Is it going to be held in a Foundry "poll thread" ? Where the regular hand full of Elites get to decide for everyone, or Is it going to be more widespread, and seek to poll from the larger CC community ?

A poll in the foundry is open to the entire CC community, not a "hand full of Elites". I think the foundry is a proper place for such a poll, but I'm not sure what the plan is for this revamp. (an announcement will probably be made to attract non-regulars to the foundry poll).
The Foundry is only regularly visited by a very small group of CC Forum goers.

The forums in turn, are only visited by a small fraction of CC members.

So, I am sure that you know exactly what my question was trying to get at.

I would like to make a suggestion regarding this topic.
CC could easily send out a pm to all CC members, inviting them to come take part in the poll. They could be enticed with a weeks premium upgrade, or something. This will have two benefits for CC.

1.) It will garner a much wider, and more representative CC electorate.

2.) It will also act as a pretty good advertising tool, to prompt players to upgrade their membership to PREMIUM. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby sully800 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:54 pm

porkenbeans wrote:The Foundry is only regularly visited by a very small group of CC Forum goers.

The forums in turn, are only visited by a small fraction of CC members.

So, I am sure that you know exactly what my question was trying to get at.

I would like to make a suggestion regarding this topic.
CC could easily send out a pm to all CC members, inviting them to come take part in the poll. They could be enticed with a weeks premium upgrade, or something. This will have two benefits for CC.

1.) It will garner a much wider, and more representative CC electorate.

2.) It will also act as a pretty good advertising tool, to prompt players to upgrade their membership to PREMIUM. ;)

I do see what you're getting at. But keep in mind that ALL maps are created in the foundry and could benefit from the input of the whole CC community. Do you think every player should receive a PM when every new map is created? Whenever each map is updated or upgraded through the foundry process? That would be a lot of unwanted/unnecessary spam IMO.

I hope an announcement is made to reach out to the larger community. Site wide announcements can be seen by every CC user (regardless if they regularly visit the forum) and it's much less intrusive/annoying than unwanted PMs. Once again, I don't know what the actual plan for this competition is.
Major sully800

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:06 pm

So when will the poll be posted? The deadline for the contest entries was yesterday. So will it be at the same time the foundry opens or...something else?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:14 pm

natty_dread wrote:So when will the poll be posted? The deadline for the contest entries was yesterday. So will it be at the same time the foundry opens or...something else?

No, the deadline is in 46 minutes.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Guys, just to fill you in....and i don't know if this is a process that wil change with a push...

Several months ago when Twill was in charge of the General Discussion...i tried to get polls in the GD thread and promotion for my maps, however, this was overruled and i was told that anything to do with the maps "was to be kept in its rightful place -> i.e. the foundry."

As far as PMing everyone...this comes under the guise of spam and would probably be disallowed.
The problem has always been to get regulars into the Foundry to vote on polls, but that just doesn't happen as well as we'd like, and proably a lot has to do with the disillusionment of the Foundry.

A wider-spread poll is definitely needed on this, but what will CC allow/disallow ?? :?: :?: :!:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:15 pm

sully800 wrote:I do see what you're getting at. But keep in mind that ALL maps are created in the foundry and could benefit from the input of the whole CC community. Do you think every player should receive a PM when every new map is created? Whenever each map is updated or upgraded through the foundry process? That would be a lot of unwanted/unnecessary spam IMO.

I think that it is a good idea.

I PMed over 8500 players and got back close to 1,300 votes in a poll for the HIVE map.
I think I got close to 200 PM's back and only 1 or 2 were "please don't bug me"

This site exists because of new maps. I would think the community would be happy to know when more are coming, ESPECIALLY when there is a revamp!

A PM to everyone initially (they may ask to be removed) would work wonders.
TONS of new people in the foundry. Even if many of the posts are "Map looks good", at least that is positive attention.
Once a map hits FF/or revamped a mass PM to all active players letting them know.
They cannot change GP or GFX but just come in to make sure that the map is understandable and if there are any concerns about readability.

Worst case it does not work and we stop mass emailing active players.
Best case it works and we get a large majority of people commenting.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Host your map file (one entry per contestant please) using Photobucket or some other file sharing program, and a link must be provided to MrBenn by 11:59pm GMT on December 27th, 2009. Late submissions will not be considered for entry.

Entry submitted 30 seconds ago 8)
Captain the.killing.44

Postby gimil on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:07 pm

I think you are all forgetting that there is no need to PM every single CC member for this revamp. Remember that the headlines that should be used for the competition reach the entire CC community. The Brazil revamp had hundreds of votes, pobably more than every former REVAMP (exc. the old school classic touch-up). In terms of REVAMP Brazil was the most successful for community involvement. I don't know why a few of you are getting your knickers all twisted about details. ;)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:54 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
natty_dread wrote:So when will the poll be posted? The deadline for the contest entries was yesterday. So will it be at the same time the foundry opens or...something else?

No, the deadline is in 46 minutes.

Damn, forgot about time zones...

OK, so now the deadline is past, so let me reiterate: where is the poll? :D
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:34 pm

I've received a good number of entries, and now I need to check each of them for adherence to the competition rules (identical gameplay, terr names etc).

Once that has been done, it may be necessary to compile a shortlist (due to the number of entries) for a public vote (which will be 'headlined').

For the record, the re-revamp has only come about due to the disappearance of the mapmaker while the map is still in Beta.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:31 pm

You said in the rules that the winner would have a week to make any small fixes or tweaks, so I sure hope that a misspelled name or something, would fall within the stated rules. :D

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:09 am

WidowMakers wrote:
sully800 wrote:I do see what you're getting at. But keep in mind that ALL maps are created in the foundry and could benefit from the input of the whole CC community. Do you think every player should receive a PM when every new map is created? Whenever each map is updated or upgraded through the foundry process? That would be a lot of unwanted/unnecessary spam IMO.

I think that it is a good idea.

I PMed over 8500 players and got back close to 1,300 votes in a poll for the HIVE map.
I think I got close to 200 PM's back and only 1 or 2 were "please don't bug me"

This site exists because of new maps. I would think the community would be happy to know when more are coming, ESPECIALLY when there is a revamp!

A PM to everyone initially (they may ask to be removed) would work wonders.
TONS of new people in the foundry. Even if many of the posts are "Map looks good", at least that is positive attention.
Once a map hits FF/or revamped a mass PM to all active players letting them know.
They cannot change GP or GFX but just come in to make sure that the map is understandable and if there are any concerns about readability.

Worst case it does not work and we stop mass emailing active players.
Best case it works and we get a large majority of people commenting.

WM
I also think that is a good idea. The only drawback to it would be to those few that may loose some of their power in the foundry. Awe, what a shame that would be. :lol:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:17 am

MrBenn wrote:I've received a good number of entries, and now I need to check each of them for adherence to the competition rules (identical gameplay, terr names etc).

Once that has been done, it may be necessary to compile a shortlist (due to the number of entries) for a public vote (which will be 'headlined').

For the record, the re-revamp has only come about due to the disappearance of the mapmaker while the map is still in Beta.
My only point was, How in the hell did such a turd even make it to beta in the first place ? My main point is, sometimes even the Foundry Elite let one get by. Is it because of loyalty to their group, that blinds them to reality. Either way, I think that the power of judging should be taken away from them, and given to the CC community where it belongs. They should just go back to making maps, and helping others if they should so choose.
Last edited by porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 am

Mr B.
I think the fairest way to do it, is just let all of the entries be on the ballot. If there are a great number of them, then just have a run off election, of the top three. No entry should be excluded for any minor mistakes of names and such. These are only minor tweaks that as stated, will be given a week to fix. After all, This contest is to come up with the most popular rendering. Let the people decide for themselves just which entry that is. After they have decided then the map maker can bring their map into line with the particulars, that you want to be addressed. Such as minor things like spelling, and/or correct names. These items are only small tweaks.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby sully800 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:28 am

Yeah, I can't imagine they will rule maps out for spelling mistakes like that. But if the gameplay or naming scheme is purposefully different that would be obvious, and not allowed by the rules of the revamp.
Major sully800

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:00 pm

porkenbeans wrote:My only point was, How in the hell did such a turd even make it to beta in the first place ?

There's a quite simple answer: lack of opposition. We elitist, power-crazed motherfuckers thought it was a good map, and not seeing much (hell, I don't think there was any) opposition to it going into Beta. I know, crazy, isn't it? Damn elitist, power-crazed motherfuckers didn't listen to the MANY porkenbeans posts in the thread, opposing the Beta-quench!

Oh wait. You only posted once. Nearly half a year after quench. Damn elitist bastards!
Captain the.killing.44

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:03 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Mr B.
I think the fairest way to do it, is just let all of the entries be on the ballot. If there are a great number of them, then just have a run off election, of the top three. No entry should be excluded for any minor mistakes of names and such. These are only minor tweaks that as stated, will be given a week to fix. After all, This contest is to come up with the most popular rendering. Let the people decide for themselves just which entry that is. After they have decided then the map maker can bring their map into line with the particulars, that you want to be addressed. Such as minor things like spelling, and/or correct names. These items are only small tweaks.

I agree.

Have a vote with all maps and each person gets 3 votes.

After 1 week the top 3 maps have another vote for winner.
Major WidowMakers

Postby sully800 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 pm

(see below)
Last edited by sully800 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major sully800

Postby sully800 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:07 pm

WidowMakers wrote:

I agree.

Can you do a poll where each person gets 3 votes? I thought it was either "Select 1" or "Select as many as you would like". But I agree that all eligible maps should be up for a vote, so if necessary it would be nice to have multiple polls. (It's also great that there are so many entries that they possibly don't all fit into one poll!)
Major sully800

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:22 pm

sully800 wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

I agree.

Can you do a poll where each person gets 3 votes? I thought it was either "Select 1" or "Select as many as you would like". But I agree that all eligible maps should be up for a vote, so if necessary it would be nice to have multiple polls. (It's also great that there are so many entries that they possibly don't all fit into one poll!)
I think what he was trying to say is, each person could pick his top 3 choices in order of 1st., 2nd. and 3rd. choice. That way you are essentially having a run off in one poll. You just score all the 1st choices with 3 points, all 2nd. with 2, and all 3rd. with 1.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:28 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:My only point was, How in the hell did such a turd even make it to beta in the first place ?

There's a quite simple answer: lack of opposition. We elitist, power-crazed motherfuckers thought it was a good map, and not seeing much (hell, I don't think there was any) opposition to it going into Beta. I know, crazy, isn't it? Damn elitist, power-crazed motherfuckers didn't listen to the MANY porkenbeans posts in the thread, opposing the Beta-quench!

Oh wait. You only posted once. Nearly half a year after quench. Damn elitist bastards!
44, this has got to be one of the dumbest things, that I have ever heard you say. The fact that you geniuses let it through to beta proves MY point. Pepper was obviously one of your gang members. And this fact allowed the turd to pass right on through. This only proves my point. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby sully800 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:34 pm

porkenbeans wrote:I think what he was trying to say is, each person could pick his top 3 choices in order of 1st., 2nd. and 3rd. choice. That way you are essentially having a run off in one poll. You just score all the 1st choices with 3 points, all 2nd. with 2, and all 3rd. with 1.

Right. I don't think that is possible with the polling software available in the forums. You could have users post their opinions and tally them manually, but that is not a great solution if you are talking about hundreds of votes with no anonymity and the ability to change your vote at any time by editing the post.

I think using the actual voting feature of the forum is the best idea, but then you can't wait choices as 1st, 2nd or 3rd like you suggested. It would be better to just vote on all the possible map selections then pick the 10 that get the most votes and make a single poll. From there you could either vote again on the top 3, or just pick the winner of that initial 10. Oh well, we'll see soon how the voting is conducted.
Last edited by sully800 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major sully800

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:41 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:

44, this has got to be one of the dumbest things, that I have ever heard you say. The fact that you geniuses let it through to beta proves MY point. Pepper was obviously one of your gang members. And this fact allowed the turd to pass right on through. This only proves my point. ;)

Uh, no, it doesn't prove your point. Please tell me where anyone was against the Beta-quench, before the upload actually happened. I looked through the few pages before the Beta-quench, and saw one dissenter. There were numerous members who aren't elitist, power-crazed motherfucking bastards who were pushing the map to quench.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:43 pm

sully800 wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine they will rule maps out for spelling mistakes like that. But if the gameplay or naming scheme is purposefully different that would be obvious, and not allowed by the rules of the revamp.
The rules were a bit ambiguous to say the least. it used phrases like "in a perfect world", and statements like "leeway" will be allowed. The competition is for graphics. So, if there are any simple fixes like a quick name change or spelling correction, then that is in perfect line with the stated rules. I had corrected a couple of misspellings from the original map, and I even changed a couple of names, for reasons that involved a better choice and/or a shorter name that would fit better. If the names must be kept in their incorrect form and such, then that is only a 2 min. tweak. It is not a reason to disqualify a submission. Especially when rules said some "leeway" would be allowed. It also said that the winning map maker would be allowed a week to make such small tweaks. To disallow a submission for such a SMALL tweak would be very disingenuous. And would go against the spirit of the ambiguous rules.
Last edited by porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:45 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:

Uh, no, it doesn't prove your point. Please tell me where anyone was against the Beta-quench, before the upload actually happened. I looked through the few pages before the Beta-quench, and saw one dissenter. There were numerous members who aren't elitist, power-crazed motherfucking bastards who were pushing the map to quench.
My point is, NOBODY OPPOSED IT. What does that say to you ? It says to me that the know-it-alls are not infallible, and should not be given the power to quash maps, or send them through. This is a prime example of what happens. Let the beta testing procedure do this job.
Last edited by porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions