Conquer Club

Germany Revamp Competition - FINAL VOTE (page one)

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which map would you like to see as CC's Germany Map?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Map F
37%
Map I
63%

Total votes : 242

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:49 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:My only point was, How in the hell did such a turd even make it to beta in the first place ?

There's a quite simple answer: lack of opposition. We elitist, power-crazed motherfuckers thought it was a good map, and not seeing much (hell, I don't think there was any) opposition to it going into Beta. I know, crazy, isn't it? Damn elitist, power-crazed motherfuckers didn't listen to the MANY porkenbeans posts in the thread, opposing the Beta-quench!

Oh wait. You only posted once. Nearly half a year after quench. Damn elitist bastards!
44, this has got to be one of the dumbest things, that I have ever heard you say. The fact that you geniuses let it through to beta proves MY point. Pepper was obviously one of your gang members. And this fact allowed the turd to pass right on through. This only proves my point. ;)

Uh, no, it doesn't prove your point. Please tell me where anyone was against the Beta-quench, before the upload actually happened. I looked through the few pages before the Beta-quench, and saw one dissenter. There were numerous members who aren't elitist, power-crazed motherfucking bastards who were pushing the map to quench.
My point is, NOBODY OPPOSED IT. What does that say to you ?

That it proves my/our point.

Let's put your two points together:

Q: "My only point was, How in the hell did such a turd even make it to beta in the first place ?" ā€”porkenbeans (viewtopic.php?f=467&t=104329&start=75#p2368332)
A: "My point is, NOBODY OPPOSED IT." ā€”porkenbeans (viewtopic.php?f=467&t=104329&start=90#p2369080)

You tell me how a group of people is being elitist by moving something along when there was no opposition?
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:57 pm

I have already told you. I am sorry that you just do not seem to comprehend.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:03 pm

.44, don't argue with pork, it's not worth it. They guy doesn't understand common sense.

If you want to know what his point is, it is that no one opposed it because it was made by the entrenched elites. Because they can somehow stop people from posting in the thread to say the map sucks. :roll:

Personally, I like all the revamps a lot better than their original maps, I honestly don't really understand why there's been a fuss about any of them. (Don't quote or explain the issues to me... I've read them already, I still think the maps are far better)
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:07 pm

porkenbeans wrote:I have already told you. I am sorry that you just do not seem to comprehend.

:lol:
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:09 pm

sully800 wrote:Can you do a poll where each person gets 3 votes? I thought it was either "Select 1" or "Select as many as you would like". But I agree that all maps should be up for a vote, so if necessary it would be nice to have multiple polls.
I believe you can. When you setup a poll you get the option of how many poll "option" a person gets. Default is 1.

Major WidowMakers

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
sully800 wrote:Can you do a poll where each person gets 3 votes? I thought it was either "Select 1" or "Select as many as you would like". But I agree that all maps should be up for a vote, so if necessary it would be nice to have multiple polls.
I believe you can. When you setup a poll you get the option of how many poll "option" a person gets. Default is 1.

Yes, it seems that you are right. Although it does not seem to be able to give more points for any one of the choices. Still, it would do a pretty good job of finding the most popular map I think. And you could always just have a runoff of the top three, if they wanted to. :D

I am very curious as to just how many entries there were.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:07 pm

3-tiered voting system:

First a poll between all the entries. Each voter can choose 1-3 maps to give a vote to. If any entry gets >65% of the votes, it is automaticly the winner.

Then, if no map gets >65% of the votes, we pick 4 maps with most votes, and put up a new poll, where each voter can only select 1. If any entry gets >50% of the votes, it is automaticly the winner.

Then, if no map gets >50% of the votes, we pick the 2 with most votes, and put up the final poll. Since the final poll has only 2 options, one of them will inevitably receive more than 50% of the votes.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:13 pm

Although it does not seem to be able to give more points for any one of the choices.

That one's possible: Have three polls. One for 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd. Each candidate gets 3*(votes in 1st poll) + 2*(votes in 2nd poll) + 1*(votes in 3rd poll), or however much the votes are worth. Of course, then there's the problem that users can vote for a map more than once, but if someone's that enthusiastic about one map then perhaps it does deserve 6 points.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Nah, just use the 3-tiered voting system I posted. This would be the best way (with the available software) to ensure the most popular map gets chosen.

Postby sully800 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:16 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:I believe you can. When you setup a poll you get the option of how many poll "option" a person gets. Default is 1.

Yes, it seems that you are right. Although it does not seem to be able to give more points for any one of the choices. Still, it would do a pretty good job of finding the most popular map I think. And you could always just have a runoff of the top three, if they wanted to. :D

Excellent, thanks for the info WM. And I agree, I'm curious to see the results of the competition! :)
Major sully800

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:58 pm

natty_dread wrote:3-tiered voting system:

First a poll between all the entries. Each voter can choose 1-3 maps to give a vote to. If any entry gets >65% of the votes, it is automaticly the winner.

Then, if no map gets >65% of the votes, we pick 4 maps with most votes, and put up a new poll, where each voter can only select 1. If any entry gets >50% of the votes, it is automaticly the winner.

Then, if no map gets >50% of the votes, we pick the 2 with most votes, and put up the final poll. Since the final poll has only 2 options, one of them will inevitably receive more than 50% of the votes.
I like it. Seems like a very good way to proceed. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby MrBenn on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:21 pm

sully800 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:I believe you can. When you setup a poll you get the option of how many poll "option" a person gets. Default is 1.

Excellent, thanks for the info WM. And I agree, I'm curious to see the results of the competition! :)

For some reason I thought there was a maximum of 8 poll options... I've checked through the submissions for gameplay accuracy, and will post the poll in the (my) morning...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Is everyone as excited as I am just to see what everyone came up with ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:44 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Is everyone as excited as I am just to see what everyone came up with ?

I'm just excited to see if I get "shortlisted" or not... after all, who knows what the mods consider to be "final forge quality"...

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:59 pm

natty_dread wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Is everyone as excited as I am just to see what everyone came up with ?

I'm just excited to see if I get "shortlisted" or not... after all, who knows what the mods consider to be "final forge quality"...
I think that they should just leave that to be determined by the votes. Even if its a turd, whats the harm in just letting it sink or swim on its own ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Germany Revamp Competition - FINAL VOTE (page one)

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:02 am

The first round vote has been counted and verified - the two runaway favourites were entries F and I; without further ado, I present the final entries - The poll closes in 7 days and this time around you only have one vote: The winning map will replace the currently live version of Germany!

Map F:

Map I:

show: round one
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 am

The poll is now up: viewtopic.php?f=467&t=105024
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Germany Revamp Competition - VOTE NOW!

Postby gimil on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:11 am

Whoa!

Good luck to everyone. May my map win :D
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:12 am

Great entries everyone, i'm impressed :)

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:17 am

Wow, there's some killer graphics here... gl everyone!

Postby Ace Rimmer on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:32 am

I assume it will happen, but be sure to let us know who did which map after the competition ends. OK, I'll be honest - I only care who did map I. BEAUTIFUL.

Jake
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby RjBeals on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:32 am

Very good entries. So many people put so much work into these maps, it's a shame we can only push 1 through. But, at the very least, we have some map artists who are refining their skills, and will hopefully be eager to apply some of these new map styles to something fresh. I think I know who created about 2/3 of the maps, but I'll reserve my guesses until later.

A: I still love Pep's map.

B: Faded colors are nice, but I don't think it works for a Germany map. Personally I prefer darker colors. The subtle patterns and thick black borders are nice. Title is very plain, but I realize that could be improved in the final forge. Overall nice, but pastels do not work.

C: I dislike the drop shadow on the whole map. And I would prefer a coastline, rather than just a floating map on a texture. Good use of colors for a CC map, but again, does not feel German to me. Font is also sort of "teenage girl" looking.

D: A step in the right direction. Very COOL Mountains/Hills. Color choice is excellent. The river looks a bit splotchy. I think it would have looked better with the map extending the whole way across, instead of half way. It would have been mostly black, but I think half the ocean looks a bit strange. Font is good. I dislike the legend. It looks like a quick afterthought. Nice German feel to this map though.

E: Very nice map here. True to the Hoff original. I think this is going to be a strong contender. This map screams Germany. I love the smoothness of the emblem, the Title font is plain, but works, and the minimap legend looks great also. On my laptop, the blacks at the top are a bit hard to differentiate, and perhaps a slightly better territ font could be chosen. Great map though.

F: Wow.. Excellent. Color choice is excellent. Font looks great. Mountains are non-obtrusive, and look great. Those inlays work perfect. And what a Title ! I think the community will love this map. I think this will surely end up in the final 2.

G: Nice, but missing some pizzazz. I think the muted colors are what I notice with this map, along with the mountains that resemble grass. Nice title though ;) I like the texture you used for the water, and the land.

H: The artist behind map H is getting really good with his style. The relief on the land is very cool. But I think I have more negative than positive feedback here. It is way too difficult to tell bonus regions apart. The font does not work. and besides the Germany map in the upper right, this map does resemble Germany. Even with Einstein in the VW. Colors do not work. The style used here looks like it might be more suited towards web 2.0 graphics. Lots of gradients and smoothness and such. Last thought is that it doesn't flow very well. Looks like items were just placed to fill in empty spaces. So - the "art" of this map is excellent, and one of the best submitted, but the style of the map just will not work. I think the community would not accept this to replace Hoffs/Pep's map.

I: Very cool map. This artist looks like he has some experience. The title is simple, but extremely cool. Color choice is good, although I think that a deeper darker color choice might look nicer. Font is perfect. I think the grungy overlay is good, but might just be a tad bit too much. It's sort of overpowering. The mountains are great. and that light diagonal line is a nice touch. And the folds in the background - I'm surprised we haven't seen that yet on a map :) Overall this map looks great, and I have a feeling it will be tough to beat.
Private RjBeals

Postby skeletonboy on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 am

F. Wow. =D>
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:53 am

WOW. BEST REVAMP CONTEST EVER.

Good Luck Everyone.
Major WidowMakers

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 am

Indeed, map I looks so great I'm surprised if it won't be chosen. Those folds... I wish I had thought of that! They're so cool!

F is also nice, reminds me of Poland map. Perhaps the maker is same..??

I kinda agree with Beals about map H, the graphics are great, but there's just too much going in that map. Like the maker was trying to use every possible graphical effect his software supports... also, the VW addition is nice, but the Einstein with the speech bubble makes it kinda tacky. Nonetheless, with some time in the FF and some advice from the Foundry members, this could still become a succesfull map.

Maps G and D are also nice, but they just lack a bit of something... IMHO. Although, both of them would still do well after a quick spin in the FF.

To conclude, if there was no germany map, any one of these maps would probably be a success. They're all great. But map I is really excellent. I would wager there's an experienced mapmaker behind that one.

Ps. it's funny, almost every map managed to squeeze in the official seal of Germany...

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions