Conquer Club

Classic Map Revamped

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Map Revamped

Postby Falkomagno on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:57 pm

wow...awesome...Abig hurra for Sully and for Lack and everyone who contribute to this awesome revampĀ”Ā”
=D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby RumbleGuts on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:02 pm

Great Job!! Thx for your efforts Sully, Lack and all! =D>
Sergeant 1st Class RumbleGuts

Postby guinniboy on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:04 pm

got to be able to see continental divides < shapes was horrible but i was starting to like art : (
Sergeant 1st Class guinniboy

Postby sailorc on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Nice revamp! I like it. =D>
"It is better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness."
Highest Score: 2272 Highest Rank: Major Highest on Scoreboard: 745
Lieutenant sailorc

Postby Vitani on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Is there a way to get A/N/S/E/F back without joining the Society of Cooks? The new map looks pretty, but I'm really confused by the new naming convention (especially as I'm half-way though a game on it) and Classic-Shapes had a sweet simplicity which made it very easy to learn how to play on CC and also one of my favourite maps.
Sergeant 1st Class Vitani

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Vitani wrote:Is there a way to get A/N/S/E/F back without joining the Society of Cooks? The new map looks pretty, but I'm really confused by the new naming convention (especially as I'm half-way though a game on it) and Classic-Shapes had a sweet simplicity which made it very easy to learn how to play on CC and also one of my favourite maps.

No, the Letter/Number combos are coded to work for Society of Cooks members since they already have strategies and methods written based on those labels.

One thing to note is each map uses the same XML, so the gamelog for Society of Cooks members is exactly the same as the gamelog you are seeing. The A/N/S/E/F labels are written in addition to the city labels, not instead of them.
Major sully800

Postby Hutch24 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:50 pm

I was almost going to be pissed off because you changed it when I was taking my turn in a speed game and so I couldn't start my turn until there was only under a minute left..but I ended up winning so...Looks nice!
Major Hutch24

Postby WolfMist on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Looks really good the new improved classic map. I was in the middle of a speed game and it was obviously confusing and a surprise to begin with! But the change over was so smooth and seamless. Congratulations to all involved. Well done.
Sergeant 1st Class WolfMist

Postby imacamper on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Looks very nice and I appreciate all the hard work. However now I'm going to have to learn what cities are in what continents. :D
Major imacamper

Postby b00060 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:03 pm

The new map is ok, but it should be added as an option, not replacing Classic Shapes. BRING BACK CLASSIC SHAPES!
Major b00060

Postby multilis on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:18 pm

IMO the map looks much nicer but functionally is *much* less clear than old. The color coding is harder to see than World 2.1.

As some others, I would have preferred option to flip back to old style map.
Private 1st Class multilis

Postby mpjh on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:36 pm

b00060 wrote:The new map is ok, but it should be added as an option, not replacing Classic Shapes. BRING BACK CLASSIC SHAPES!

We got shapes designations for SoC members, so come back b00060 and enjoy.
Cadet mpjh

Postby impassive on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:51 pm

b00060 wrote:The new map is ok, but it should be added as an option, not replacing Classic Shapes. BRING BACK CLASSIC SHAPES!

I know the decision has been made, but I can't see the down side of keeping classic shapes and classic art available for play. I'll miss them.
Brigadier impassive

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:07 pm

impassive wrote:

I know the decision has been made, but I can't see the down side of keeping classic shapes and classic art available for play. I'll miss them.

The downside has been discussed in various other topics---since they all use the same game play, it creates multiple unnecessary entries for the server databases to keep track of. Streamlining everything into 1 map option is more efficient.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby azezzo on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:24 pm

aside from the temporary confusion of logging into the 3rd round of a game and seeing the new map, i initially love the new map

thank you to everyone who put time and effort into giving us a better looking classic map, and expect to play the shit out of this new classic. =D>
Captain azezzo

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Leave it the f*ck alone, how many times do you have to mutilate what was once a great map? I understand the initial reason for altering it was mandatory, but now it's ridiculous.
Cook hahaha3hahaha

Postby Opera Man FL on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Nice job. It looks great and has a nice "natural" look to it.
Opera Man FL

"Therefore, having been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." (Rom. 5:1 NIV)
"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" (J.K. Rowling)
Lieutenant Opera Man FL

Postby azezzo on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:53 pm

where the hell is Kamchatka?
Captain azezzo

Postby GlassCobra on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Looks good, I was never a great fan of Classic Shapes.

As an aside, when Buenos Aires is selected in the deployment pull-down menu, it's misspelled as "Beunos Aires." Thought this should be brought to someone's attention.
Corporal 1st Class GlassCobra

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:32 pm

GlassCobra wrote:Looks good, I was never a great fan of Classic Shapes.

As an aside, when Buenos Aires is selected in the deployment pull-down menu, it's misspelled as "Beunos Aires." Thought this should be brought to someone's attention.

Thank you GlassCobra. An updated version of the XML has been posted in the development thread. Whenever loaded to the site this spelling mistake will be fixed.
Major sully800

Postby impassive on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:34 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
impassive wrote:

The downside has been discussed in various other topics---since they all use the same game play, it creates multiple unnecessary entries for the server databases to keep track of. Streamlining everything into 1 map option is more efficient.

--Andy

I respect the decision that's been made, but listing efficiency as a reason is a little bit silly. They are maps like any other CC maps. And 'unnecessary' is very subjective in this case. I don't guess any map on CC is 'necessary'. Either desired or not desired by members, but not 'necessary'.

If you say it was a policy decision based on how they want the site to be, no multiple maps with identical gameplay, I say ok, decision made. I'll still miss them.
Brigadier impassive

Postby impassive on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Btw, just because I wish the old classics would stay doesn't mean I don't like the new map. It is nice on the eyes.
Brigadier impassive

Postby skillfusniper33 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Great work sully, thanks for giving the classic a new style other than just shapes.

It is really needed for the site to look much more advanced.
Place: 267 Score: 2630
Major skillfusniper33

Postby wazabii on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Love the new map... was thrown off seeing it mid-game, but great job none the less!!!
Sergeant 1st Class wazabii

Postby Code_Zero on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:26 am

Yeah it is slightly confusing to look at with all the lines, the classic shapes was really easy to see the connections between territories whereas this one is harder on the eyes
Strength lies not in defence but in attack--Adolf Hitler
Corporal Code_Zero

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives