Conquer Club

Classic Map Revamped

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Map Revamped

Postby Pedronicus on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:47 am

What a bunch of moaning gits.

I can't believe I'm seeing people complaining that classic shapes has been replaced with this new map.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby perchorin on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:57 am

Pedronicus wrote:What a bunch of moaning gits.

I can't believe I'm seeing people complaining that classic shapes has been replaced with this new map.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby stringybeany on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:24 am

perchorin wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously.

no worries...the whiners will go away soon enough
Captain stringybeany

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:31 am

skeletonboy wrote:
If you were in the foundry to give suggestions, you could have asked for something different. Go to the bug reports/suggestions forum and ask for shapes as an option.

I doubt that any of the people that are complaining even looked in the foundry in the long time that it was being developed. If you dont look in the forums, dont complain when there's a change you dont like.

Don't bother; I suggested leaving shapes as an option several times in the foundry. Lack vetoed that. Instead, he's allowed those in the SoC to see some sort of shapes overlay, but only those in the SoC.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 am

K-dub wrote:not bad at all...i like it...the lines can be a little crazy but it will take either a 2 year-old or a true idiot to getconfused over it...so i say congrats to the maker of this...u done pretty good!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I'm neither 2, nor an idiot, and the new map confuses me.

The arcs aren't directional; regions are only identified by tiny colors (woe be to the fully colorblind); and my eyes go wonky when looking at all those brightly shining attack-route arcs that look like Joshua's War Game attacks (although since Joshua's starting map did not use a semi-monochromatic colorscheme for every region, and did clearly outline countries - unlike this map - reading the map on War Games was easier.) "What War Games?" Matthew Broderick move from the '80s.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby karelpietertje on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:11 pm

=D>
Major karelpietertje

Postby Wellspring on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:53 pm

New map looks pretty and all, but gameplay on it sucks. Would much rather have the old classic art or shapes back...
Major Wellspring

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Wellspring wrote:New map looks pretty and all, but gameplay on it sucks. Would much rather have the old classic art or shapes back...

The gameplay is 100% identical to the previous maps.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby sully800 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
Wellspring wrote:New map looks pretty and all, but gameplay on it sucks. Would much rather have the old classic art or shapes back...

The gameplay is 100% identical to the previous maps.

I believe he maps actually playing on the map as opposed to just looking at it. Thanks everyone for feedback - I really am listening to the negative complaints, but the cities will remain connected by lines and the continents cannot be changed to distinct colored regions.
Major sully800

Postby Wellspring on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:59 pm

I'd like to rescind my earlier complaint. I've had the chance to play on it more, and the new map doesn't play bad, it just takes a little getting used to. I think it's an adequate replacement for classic art / shapes imo. Nice job sully, lackattack, and everyone else who contributed.
Major Wellspring

Postby Windparson on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Never thought I would want Classic Art back, but, sigh, I do. Would it be possible to have Classic Art as a different map with no connections at all to any of the other Classics? Just call it Art!

I am sure that has probably been suggested.

But, congrats on the map and for the hard work that went in to it.
"Get there fustest with the mostest", " War means fightin, and fightin' means killin." N.B.F

Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on. U.S. Grant
Corporal 1st Class Windparson

Postby Vitani on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:03 am

sully800 wrote:Thanks everyone for feedback - I really am listening to the negative complaints, but the cities will remain connected by lines and the continents cannot be changed to distinct colored regions.

I think it would be much easier to follow if the lines were straight, not curved - it would certainly bring back a little bit of the simplicity that has been lost.

Again, I like the new map, it is very pretty, but I (and lots of other players) played Classic Shapes for its simplicity, which has been lost in this replacement.

One question to the admins, if someone made a map which was basically a clone of Classic Shapes, would it be disallowed? If not, how do I go about creating a map?
Sergeant 1st Class Vitani

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:08 am

One question to the admins, if someone made a map which was basically a clone of Classic Shapes, would it be disallowed? If not, how do I go about creating a map?

If the administration wanted classic shapes, they wouldn't have deleted classic shapes.

You can make any map you want, but to get into play a map must go through the foundry process, which also requires the map to be "unique enough" in gameplay or theme.

The foundry is currently closed for refurbishing, but opens in a day or two. You're welcome to visit to see how the maps are made. We could always use new mapmakers!
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Vitani on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:08 am

natty_dread wrote:You're welcome to visit to see how the maps are made. We could always use new mapmakers!

I might just come and visit when you're all back up and running, I'm pretty sure that if I could make TFC maps back in the day I could make a CC map now :o)
Sergeant 1st Class Vitani

Postby ode to veeck on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:23 pm

The new map is harder to read ; easy to miss the continent boundaries
Sergeant 1st Class ode to veeck

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:36 pm

I am just not a fan of this one. I will play it, but I loved art, or the original classic. connecting lines just do not do it for me. Shapes worked because there was nothing in the back ground. Anyhow it is what it is... Nothing to do but move on.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:38 pm

it took some getting used to, but now its like a regular classic map in my eyes :) good work!
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby Orange-Idaho-Dog on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:02 am

Bruceswar wrote:I am just not a fan of this one. I will play it, but I loved art, or the original classic. connecting lines just do not do it for me. Shapes worked because there was nothing in the back ground. Anyhow it is what it is... Nothing to do but move on.

I must say, I'm in the same boat as Bruceswar... With a good 90%+ of my games on "Classic" (original, shapes, art & current) The current version is the map I've made the most mistakes on when it pertains to borders.
Looking for a clan? Click here to send me a PM and find out how to join The Underworld! *Selective Recruitment*
Sergeant 1st Class Orange-Idaho-Dog

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Orange-Idaho-Dog wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:I am just not a fan of this one. I will play it, but I loved art, or the original classic. connecting lines just do not do it for me. Shapes worked because there was nothing in the back ground. Anyhow it is what it is... Nothing to do but move on.

I must say, I'm in the same boat as Bruceswar... With a good 90%+ of my games on "Classic" (original, shapes, art & current) The current version is the map I've made the most mistakes on when it pertains to borders.

thats just because of the change. play a few more games on it, you get used to it very quickly, quicker then i thought i would
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby PepeAtila on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Did you realize that in Suthamerica playing it appears "Beunos Aires" and not "Buenos Aires"??
Captain PepeAtila

Postby darth emperor on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:04 pm

PepeAtila wrote:Did you realize that in Suthamerica playing it appears "Beunos Aires" and not "Buenos Aires"??

yes but not in the map...when you deploy/attack/reinforce and in the log
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby sully800 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:31 pm

A corrected XML was posted as soon as this was noticed. It just needs to be uploaded.
Major sully800

Postby ronsizzle on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:55 pm

i have always liked you sully. and respected you for your gallon of milk chug. but i dont like this map at all...
Sergeant 1st Class ronsizzle

Postby sully800 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Maybe we should make a gallon challenge map!! Thanks for the idea ron :D

For real, I'm sorry that some people are disappointed with the map - I wish it was possible to please everyone, but hopefully there are other maps that can better meet everyone's interests. Overall this map has been received popularly, despite the circle-line connections not being ideal.
Major sully800

Postby elfish_lad on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:49 pm

sully800 wrote:Maybe we should make a gallon challenge map!! Thanks for the idea ron :D

For real, I'm sorry that some people are disappointed with the map - I wish it was possible to please everyone, but hopefully there are other maps that can better meet everyone's interests. Overall this map has been received popularly, despite the circle-line connections not being ideal.

Dude. I never saw the "map that should not be mentioned." But I love this map. You did a great job.

Thanks for your efforts.

E.
Major elfish_lad

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives