Conquer Club

Change email

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Change email

Postby a.sub on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Concise description:
  • In Order to change the email of an account in the control panel one must get approval from an email sent to the original email

Specifics:
  • This verification can be worked around if they submit an eticket

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • now if an account is used with out permission or even if abused while sitting, the damage done is minimalized as they would have to hack their email to abuse it.
Cadet a.sub

Re: Change email

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:49 pm

This may necessitate a phpbb MOD or hack because I'm unsure whether it's already a setting in the admin control panel. You may want to check on their site to see if a MOD has already been written.
Major Night Strike

Postby a.sub on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:54 am

Night Strike wrote:This may necessitate a phpbb MOD or hack because I'm unsure whether it's already a setting in the admin control panel. You may want to check on their site to see if a MOD has already been written.

im afraid im un knowledgeable with these types of things
Cadet a.sub

Postby lackattack on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 am

This would cause more problems. Think of all the people who are updating their email address because their old emailaccount no longer exists.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby a.sub on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:26 pm

lackattack wrote:This would cause more problems. Think of all the people who are updating their email address because their old emailaccount no longer exists.

true, but it adds a layer of protection to those who are having a sitter. maybe make it a temporary option?
you can chose to make your email solid and un changeable for X number of day.
So if their email does change it that time they just have to wait a bit. but at the same time when they have a sitter they can add this layer of protection.
Cadet a.sub

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:54 am

a.sub wrote:
lackattack wrote:This would cause more problems. Think of all the people who are updating their email address because their old emailaccount no longer exists.

true, but it adds a layer of protection to those who are having a sitter. maybe make it a temporary option?

There was a suggestion about user to set a list of allowed account sitters in their settings that would give those sitters the right to take ones turns but not access to ones account (settings, PMs, posting on the forums and so on). IMO this would be much better as it actually solves the problem instead of just putting a small patch on one of the issues.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby a.sub on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Thezzaruz wrote:
a.sub wrote:

There was a suggestion about user to set a list of allowed account sitters in their settings that would give those sitters the right to take ones turns but not access to ones account (settings, PMs, posting on the forums and so on). IMO this would be much better as it actually solves the problem instead of just putting a small patch on one of the issues.

how about a usergroup that people can turn to?
Cadet a.sub

Postby Mad Pineapples on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:20 pm

a.sub wrote:
Thezzaruz wrote:
a.sub wrote:

how about a usergroup that people can turn to?

Personally selecting a few people you know you can trust will probably be preferable to more people over turning to a usergroup they might not know anyone in.
Sergeant 1st Class Mad Pineapples

Postby a.sub on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:24 pm

not everyone knows a bunch of ppl they can urn to, hence where problems arise
Cadet a.sub

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:31 pm

a.sub wrote:not everyone knows a bunch of ppl they can urn to, hence where problems arise

Well even with such a usergroup you'd have the issue of handing out your pass and thus exposing your account. IMO it could be a good addition too but an "allowed account sitter" option is a much better upgrade.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby Doc_Brown on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 am

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but this came to mind when I was updating my registered email address earlier. I think there may be a workable variation on the original suggestion. When a person goes into the Control Panel to change the listed email address, go ahead and send a confirmation email to the new address the way it works now. However, in addition, also send an email to the old email address stating that an email change has been requested and providing a link to cancel the request. This way, if an untrustworthy sitter or someone else tries to screw with your Conquer Club settings, you'll get a notification email at your original email address. If you click the link in that email, the address listed in your profile will revert to the original setting. On the other hand, if you no longer have access to the original email account, it won't matter since there's no need to cancel the request.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby a.sub on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but this came to mind when I was updating my registered email address earlier. I think there may be a workable variation on the original suggestion. When a person goes into the Control Panel to change the listed email address, go ahead and send a confirmation email to the new address the way it works now. However, in addition, also send an email to the old email address stating that an email change has been requested and providing a link to cancel the request. This way, if an untrustworthy sitter or someone else tries to screw with your Conquer Club settings, you'll get a notification email at your original email address. If you click the link in that email, the address listed in your profile will revert to the original setting. On the other hand, if you no longer have access to the original email account, it won't matter since there's no need to cancel the request.

well played, i agree!
Cadet a.sub

Postby lackattack on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Doc_Brown's idea is great!
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Indeed... :-k

-Sully

*Thinks to himself* "Admin bump?? Hmmmm..."
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Has this been looked at or implemented? It's a very good security measure...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby blakebowling on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:20 pm

chapcrap wrote:Has this been looked at or implemented? It's a very good security measure...

There is already a phpBB mod for this, however I know lack wasn't fond of adding more mods. I'll see what I can do.
Private blakebowling

Return to Suggestions