Earthquake Decimates Haiti Capital

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Earthquake Decimates Haiti Capital

Postby lackattack on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:31 pm

I put up a donation banner for the UN World Food Programme. I hope we, the Conquer Club community, can make a difference...
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby Shai on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:54 pm

It's a good cause, great to see CC giving to the community! Keep it up!
Why Search?
http://WWW.allmyfaves.com

Gooooooo Wizards!
Lieutenant Shai

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (1)

Postby Tripitaka on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:03 pm

If you live in the UK and sign up to the MoneySavingExpert's weekly email before Sunday 24th January, they will donate 50p to the Disasters Emergency Committee. It's spam free and you can of course cancel your subscription after receiving your first issue, but to be honest I find it quite useful.

Anyway here's the link for those who may be interested: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/haiti-appeal
The nature of Image was irrepressible!
Major Tripitaka

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby JoshyBoy on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Hmmm a very tragic world event. Right up there with the huge tidal wave tsunami incident which was felt across the world not that long ago. Haiti was a country very much pushed into the back corners of society and not many people payed attention to it.

Now look at it.

And yes, the U.S. always send more than most. They are like that. They are always poking their nose into everything. A couple of world wars, Iraq, and so on. Then of course they have to send when things like this happen, being the worlds "greatest" "super power" etc.

I would not wish the events of Haiti upon anyone and I hope that the situation stabilises and eases. Hopefully, our money will actually help.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (17)
General Contribution (2)

Postby angola on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:01 am

The following artists have released new songs for free download if you donate money to their Haiti Relief Fund:

Linkin Park, Dave Matthews Band, Peter Gabriel, Alanis Morissette, Slash,
The All-American Rejects, Hoobastank, Kenna, Enrique Iglesias and Lupe Fiasco
team up with Music For Relief to aid earthquake victims.

Go to http://www.musicforrelief.org/ to get the music.

Pretty cool.
Major angola

Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (12) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (13)
Tournament Contribution (16) General Contribution (3)

Postby vodean on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:13 am

angola wrote:The following artists have released new songs for free download if you donate money to their Haiti Relief Fund:

Linkin Park, Dave Matthews Band, Peter Gabriel, Alanis Morissette, Slash,
The All-American Rejects, Hoobastank, Kenna, Enrique Iglesias and Lupe Fiasco
team up with Music For Relief to aid earthquake victims.

Go to http://www.musicforrelief.org/ to get the music.

Pretty cool.

nice.

CC is saving the world! :-s O:) O:)
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:39 am

Private 1st Class hahaha3hahaha

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 am

hahaha3hahaha wrote:bad time for me to continue with this I guess: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=105548&p=2378746#p2378746

Happy Hunting Terrorists in Haiti Tourney oughta do the trick.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby JoshyBoy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:00 am

I seem to have offended at least one person by my post so I am just going to clarify what I was saying.

The U.S. are always getting involved in everything worldwide, good and bad. They spend all their resources, are up to their eyes in debt to the international bankers, and fail to deal with their own home problems. Just like the us, the U.K.

I was not really trying to offend or upset. However, I feel sorry that whenever something like this happens, the U.S. now really have no choice. You have to help. The world expects it.

I think that that's pretty fair to say. No offence meant to anyone.

I would like to say that this is no time for personal quarrels or to discuss international politics, but rather our thoughts should be with the people of Haiti and everyone affected by this terrible disaster.

Cheers, JB ;)
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (17)
General Contribution (2)

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 am

JoshyBoy wrote:I seem to have offended at least one person by my post so I am just going to clarify what I was saying.

The U.S. are always getting involved in everything worldwide, good and bad. They spend all their resources, are up to their eyes in debt to the international bankers, and fail to deal with their own home problems. Just like the us, the U.K.

I was not really trying to offend or upset. However, I feel sorry that whenever something like this happens, the U.S. now really have no choice. You have to help. The world expects it.

I think that that's pretty fair to say. No offence meant to anyone.

I would like to say that this is no time for personal quarrels or to discuss international politics, but rather our thoughts should be with the people of Haiti and everyone affected by this terrible disaster.

Cheers, JB ;)

Somewhat true but it's also what defines and in my opinion built the western world. Sure there are some that rape and pilliage but they are only there because of the excess that was left after spreading some of the wealth.
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:03 am

On the question of international aid, and how the US feels that it gives more than everyone else:

I did a fair amount of research on this at one point, for a paper I was writing for my professional exams.

Now, I can't give you any citations, or point you at my research, it was a long while ago. But at that point, the U.S. gave less as a proportion of its income than most developed nations. I seem to remember that various arab nations were at the top of the league on a per capita basis. I do not know if this would still be true.

A small amount of googling gave me the following article, which was written after the big tsunami.http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A18114 The author does make the interesting point that the U.S's trade terms make it easier to trade with than most, which is of benefit to poorer nations (a point I don't believe I'd considered) but generally the U.S. do not come out as particularly generous.

Measured by percentage of gross income, we are in fact the stingiest industrialized nation in the world. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, we devoted just .15 percent of the national booty to foreign aid in 2003

I have no complaint against that, (and no doubt the usual crew will suggest that as theses people are foreign they should be grateful we don't torture and kill them, let alone give them aid - they're all the same after all) but please don't claim that the U.S. "always gives the most", or that Europe "does nothing as usual". The whole world is attempting to rally round on this one, and hurrah for that - and hurrah for the US and their hospital ship, medical staff etc.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby 40kguy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:57 pm

i have already donated 10 dollars in my school
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Sergeant 1st Class 40kguy

Medals: 55
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

40kguy wrote:i have already donated 10 dollars in my school

Publicly announcing that defeats the purpose. Didn't your mother teach you anything?
Private 1st Class hahaha3hahaha

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby GloryOfThe80s on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 am

jonesthecurl wrote:On the question of international aid, and how the US feels that it gives more than everyone else:

Now, I can't give you any citations, or point you at my research, it was a long while ago. But at that point, the U.S. gave less as a proportion of its income than most developed nations. I seem to remember that various arab nations were at the top of the league on a per capita basis. I do not know if this would still be true.

... but generally the U.S. do not come out as particularly generous.

Measured by percentage of gross income, we are in fact the stingiest industrialized nation in the world. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, we devoted just .15 percent of the national booty to foreign aid in 2003

I have no complaint against that, (and no doubt the usual crew will suggest that as theses people are foreign they should be grateful we don't torture and kill them, let alone give them aid - they're all the same after all) but please don't claim that the U.S. "always gives the most", or that Europe "does nothing as usual". The whole world is attempting to rally round on this one, and hurrah for that - and hurrah for the US and their hospital ship, medical staff etc.

Heah that's what I've always understood as well. It's easy to say the US gives the most in x number of USD, but that's only because they're one of the biggest and weatlhiest nations there are. So for them 10 million is a lot easier to spend than for a country like France or the UK with less than half of the population of a country like the US..

but right now of course all that does not matter - what matters is that everyone gives what they can to help those poor people who have had enough to deal with before this quake
Cadet GloryOfThe80s

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby bedub1 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:16 am

I'd like to buy a starving child in Haiti a CC premium membership....
Colonel bedub1

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?