Conquer Club

Earthquake Decimates Haiti Capital

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Earthquake Decimates Haiti Capital

Postby vodean on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:13 am

angola wrote:The following artists have released new songs for free download if you donate money to their Haiti Relief Fund:

Linkin Park, Dave Matthews Band, Peter Gabriel, Alanis Morissette, Slash,
The All-American Rejects, Hoobastank, Kenna, Enrique Iglesias and Lupe Fiasco
team up with Music For Relief to aid earthquake victims.

Go to http://www.musicforrelief.org/ to get the music.

Pretty cool.

nice.

CC is saving the world! :-s O:) O:)
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:39 am

-deleted-
Last edited by hahaha3hahaha on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cook hahaha3hahaha

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 am

hahaha3hahaha wrote:bad time for me to continue with this I guess: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=105548&p=2378746#p2378746

Happy Hunting Terrorists in Haiti Tourney oughta do the trick.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby JoshyBoy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:00 am

I seem to have offended at least one person by my post so I am just going to clarify what I was saying.

The U.S. are always getting involved in everything worldwide, good and bad. They spend all their resources, are up to their eyes in debt to the international bankers, and fail to deal with their own home problems. Just like the us, the U.K.

I was not really trying to offend or upset. However, I feel sorry that whenever something like this happens, the U.S. now really have no choice. You have to help. The world expects it.

I think that that's pretty fair to say. No offence meant to anyone.

I would like to say that this is no time for personal quarrels or to discuss international politics, but rather our thoughts should be with the people of Haiti and everyone affected by this terrible disaster.

Cheers, JB ;)
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 am

JoshyBoy wrote:I seem to have offended at least one person by my post so I am just going to clarify what I was saying.

The U.S. are always getting involved in everything worldwide, good and bad. They spend all their resources, are up to their eyes in debt to the international bankers, and fail to deal with their own home problems. Just like the us, the U.K.

I was not really trying to offend or upset. However, I feel sorry that whenever something like this happens, the U.S. now really have no choice. You have to help. The world expects it.

I think that that's pretty fair to say. No offence meant to anyone.

I would like to say that this is no time for personal quarrels or to discuss international politics, but rather our thoughts should be with the people of Haiti and everyone affected by this terrible disaster.

Cheers, JB ;)

Somewhat true but it's also what defines and in my opinion built the western world. Sure there are some that rape and pilliage but they are only there because of the excess that was left after spreading some of the wealth.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:03 am

On the question of international aid, and how the US feels that it gives more than everyone else:

I did a fair amount of research on this at one point, for a paper I was writing for my professional exams.

Now, I can't give you any citations, or point you at my research, it was a long while ago. But at that point, the U.S. gave less as a proportion of its income than most developed nations. I seem to remember that various arab nations were at the top of the league on a per capita basis. I do not know if this would still be true.

A small amount of googling gave me the following article, which was written after the big tsunami.http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A18114 The author does make the interesting point that the U.S's trade terms make it easier to trade with than most, which is of benefit to poorer nations (a point I don't believe I'd considered) but generally the U.S. do not come out as particularly generous.

Measured by percentage of gross income, we are in fact the stingiest industrialized nation in the world. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, we devoted just .15 percent of the national booty to foreign aid in 2003

I have no complaint against that, (and no doubt the usual crew will suggest that as theses people are foreign they should be grateful we don't torture and kill them, let alone give them aid - they're all the same after all) but please don't claim that the U.S. "always gives the most", or that Europe "does nothing as usual". The whole world is attempting to rally round on this one, and hurrah for that - and hurrah for the US and their hospital ship, medical staff etc.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby 40kguy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:57 pm

i have already donated 10 dollars in my school
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by hahaha3hahaha on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cook hahaha3hahaha

Postby GloryOfThe80s on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 am

jonesthecurl wrote:On the question of international aid, and how the US feels that it gives more than everyone else:

Now, I can't give you any citations, or point you at my research, it was a long while ago. But at that point, the U.S. gave less as a proportion of its income than most developed nations. I seem to remember that various arab nations were at the top of the league on a per capita basis. I do not know if this would still be true.

... but generally the U.S. do not come out as particularly generous.

Measured by percentage of gross income, we are in fact the stingiest industrialized nation in the world. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, we devoted just .15 percent of the national booty to foreign aid in 2003

I have no complaint against that, (and no doubt the usual crew will suggest that as theses people are foreign they should be grateful we don't torture and kill them, let alone give them aid - they're all the same after all) but please don't claim that the U.S. "always gives the most", or that Europe "does nothing as usual". The whole world is attempting to rally round on this one, and hurrah for that - and hurrah for the US and their hospital ship, medical staff etc.

Heah that's what I've always understood as well. It's easy to say the US gives the most in x number of USD, but that's only because they're one of the biggest and weatlhiest nations there are. So for them 10 million is a lot easier to spend than for a country like France or the UK with less than half of the population of a country like the US..

but right now of course all that does not matter - what matters is that everyone gives what they can to help those poor people who have had enough to deal with before this quake
Cadet GloryOfThe80s

Postby bedub1 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:16 am

I'd like to buy a starving child in Haiti a CC premium membership....
Colonel bedub1

Postby THORNHEART on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:22 am

according to hugo chaves it was the usa testing a tuetonic bomb...lmfao..if we had one i think we would use it on him over haiti
Hello THORNHEART,

You have received a formal disciplinary warning.
THORNHEART has earned himself a 24 hour Forum ban..
1st user that hasn't taken the C&A Report Abuse / Spurious Reports Warning we give seriously.
Corporal THORNHEART

Postby JoshyBoy on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:23 am

bedub1 wrote:I'd like to buy a starving child in Haiti a CC premium membership....

I don't know whether to laugh, or frown disapprovingly.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:25 am

just cook bedub and serve him to the hungry.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby bedub1 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm way too skinny to be yummy.
Colonel bedub1

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Then we'll just boil you up and make a laughing stock of you.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby 40kguy on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 pm

bedub1 wrote:I'd like to buy a starving child in Haiti a CC premium membership....

i don't think anyone in haiti plays conquerclub
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby bedub1 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Then we'll just boil you up and make a laughing stock of you.

thats pretty damn funny man. I mean...really. damn funny. I'm laughing. "laughing stock of you" hahahahahahahaha
Colonel bedub1

Postby F1fth on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:32 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Then we'll just boil you up and make a laughing stock of you.

You are amazing. :lol:
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
Corporal F1fth

Postby SlayerQC on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:04 pm

My heart goes to haiti, I've always cared for haiti before the earthquake(s) and wish them the best of luck as apparently, I cannot be sent up there to help out.

Ok. and since lots of you are already talking non-sense on such a sensitive issue:

lackattack wrote:I put up a donation banner for the UN World Food Programme. I hope we, the Conquer Club community, can make a difference...

What have YOU/CC done, as a member of said community?
Why cant you say: for every premium renewed/extended/purchased from this period/that period, $5 will be donated?
Or: every game started on the haiti map, CC will donate x amount, up to x amount?
Or do you only expect US to give?
Seems to be how CC operates, the community gives, you take.(and don't listen)
Posting a link of where to donate isn't really helpful or an act of kindness. WHO DOESN'T KNOW where to donate??

Hopefully, you've donated, specially being from quebec where %90 of the canadian haitian reside.

CC is saving the world! :-s O:) O:)

Nope, CC expects us to save the world.

Shai wrote:It's a good cause, great to see CC giving to the community! Keep it up!

False statement, CC wants the community to be giving, not the other way around.

hahaha3hahaha wrote:
40kguy wrote:i have already donated 10 dollars in my school

Publicly announcing that defeats the purpose. Didn't your mother teach you anything?

I dont see the big deal, it's not like he has his real name making the statement.
What have you donated?

Wow, an american (usa) making jokes about this devastating catastrophe.
Bet ya you still think 9/11 was the #1 event to hit earth...and you werent joking about it. And you still think east indians are terrorists??
Even though, the bhopal incident (and shytloads more) was a lot more devastating than this puny (as a worldwide view) catastrophe.
Give it afew years and rarely will the states talk about haiti (or ant true disaster) but they'll go on and on and on about 9/11...
shameful.

I cant believe CC leaves such comments up!
Sergeant 1st Class SlayerQC

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:31 pm

SlayerQC wrote:
lackattack wrote:I put up a donation banner for the UN World Food Programme. I hope we, the Conquer Club community, can make a difference...

What have YOU/CC done, as a member of said community?

Lackattack is using the website to further raise awareness. I do not know if he as an individual has donated to any charitable organizations, but Lackattack has always been dedicated to such organizations in his private life.

I can speak for myself, and I have donated.

Why cant you say: for every premium renewed/extended/purchased from this period/that period, $5 will be donated?

Earmarking money is often difficult to do---however it may be something that may be done with future charitable organizations.

Or: every game started on the haiti map, CC will donate x amount, up to x amount?
Or do you only expect US to give?

To me, it seems crude and crass to weave in any sort of "game play participation" into anything more than a donation. The situation deserves delicacy and gravity.

Seems to be how CC operates, the community gives, you take.(and don't listen)
Posting a link of where to donate isn't really helpful or an act of kindness. WHO DOESN'T KNOW where to donate??

Lets not be presumptuous now. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 am

Ouch someone's got issues with TeamCC.

What happened? They steal your candy?

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Neoteny on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:48 am

I think this deserves a further note of awesome-gate.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:44 am

F1fth wrote:

You are amazing. :lol:

[bows]
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:46 am

A local bar is donating $1 for every beer or glass of wine sold.
I'm trying to get their donation as large as I can.
Seriously, though, respect to "The Gate". Well done guys.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Wind Talker on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:42 am

As of late, I have spent MUCH time working with local churches coordinating relief efforts for the Haitian community as well as donating when given the opportunity, even if at times it is only in small amounts. My children share my enthusiasm and possess a genuine love and desire to help anyone in need. As human beings (or humans being) we have a responsibility to our families and to one another which transcends religion and politics, when our brothers and sisters fall, we pick them up. :)

To those of you who give of yourselves so that another may enjoy a simple necessity that many of us often take for granted, you are truly awesome and f* rock!

:D :D :D :D
Cook Wind Talker

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,