[Beta] The Conquer 500

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 - Gameplay Discussion (Lanes)

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:14 am

Doc_Brown wrote:This looks like a great idea! I had a quick thought about how you might lay out the territories when you add extra lanes. I would suggest that the territories in adjacent lanes be offset for the most part. Here's a quick MS Paint sketch of what I mean:
This way, territories on the track can attack 1 and 2 spaces ahead in their own lane, and they can attack the territory diagonally ahead in the adjacent lane (or lanes if you decide to have 3). It would be a bit more difficult to get this to work right around the corners if you have more territories around the outer lane(s). However, you might be able to get around that by saying that you can't change lanes around the steepest parts of the curves (indicated by a thick solid line between the lanes in those sections).
Private 1st Class hahaha3hahaha

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 am

I agree that pits probably shouldn't attack or bombard each other. I will look at alternatives like the equipment.
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (3)

Postby iancanton on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 pm

u don't have to have many lanes. two are enough. if u have any more, then the track starts to lose its shape.

i also believe that u should receive no track bonuses unless u have fuel in ur car. this will give an extra reason to protect ur car instead of assaulting the pits.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby Mad-elph on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:14 am

Being an avid racing fan I might suggest that if you want to add extra lanes, don't do it throughout the track. I'd just add a second racing line to every other corner. This will conform more to the norm of racing, and lessen the burden on you a bit. I am not sure how you will code it so you'd only need one line instead of the entire track... but I will assume that baring an escalating game you'd probably have finished off almost everyone before you get around the track.
Lieutenant Mad-elph

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:25 am

iancanton wrote:u don't have to have many lanes. two are enough. if u have any more, then the track starts to lose its shape.

i also believe that u should receive no track bonuses unless u have fuel in ur car. this will give an extra reason to protect ur car instead of assaulting the pits.

ian. :)

Great idea =)
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm not sure about this one - the one overriding thing I get though - is that the track seems to go the wrong way.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:19 pm

yeti_c wrote:I'm not sure about this one - the one overriding thing I get though - is that the track seems to go the wrong way.

C.

Do you mean counter clockwise? that is typical of american racing. Fans of Nascar live by the motto "Drive Fast and Turn Left". And when I took a tour of the Indy 500 racetrack a few years ago they gave us a ride around the track and it ran counter clockwise.

=D=
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Mad-elph on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Oh and think I like the idea of one lane the whole way anyway. I'd probably prefer it that way
Lieutenant Mad-elph

Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:12 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I'm not sure about this one - the one overriding thing I get though - is that the track seems to go the wrong way.

C.

Do you mean counter clockwise? that is typical of american racing. Fans of Nascar live by the motto "Drive Fast and Turn Left". And when I took a tour of the Indy 500 racetrack a few years ago they gave us a ride around the track and it ran counter clockwise.

=D=

Partially - but I think it's something else as well... perhaps the placement of the territory labels.

Note that it's not a nascar track as there are right turns too?!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Mad-elph on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:01 pm

yeti_c wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

C.

=D=

Partially - but I think it's something else as well... perhaps the placement of the territory labels.

Note that it's not a nascar track as there are right turns too?!

C.

Again avid F1 fan here, but I believe NASCAR tried street course racing as recently as a couple years ago. They wanted to reply to comments of "HARD and LEFT". They even ran at the same Track F1 races on in Montreal, over a minute more a lap... hehe. But judging from the cars its based on Indy, seeing as how they are pretty much the Panoz evolution of car.
Lieutenant Mad-elph

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:05 pm

I will do some research but I think I prefer counter clockwise regardless.

I have been playing around with some lane ideas. I personally prefer one lane and the ability to attack one or two positions ahead on the track which is how the track rules currently are. As represented below as #1

I would also be ok with track segments with multiple positions in them that could attack one or two track sections ahead. This way you wouldn't have locked in lanes. In this scenario we could have a win condition of capturing 1 location in each track section around the track. As represented in #2 below. a location in "a" could attack any location in "b" or "c" but not other sections in "a"

Click image to enlarge.

=D=
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Note that Objectives aren't allowed to contain continents - and therefore will make your XML VERY large.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm

yeti_c wrote:Note that Objectives aren't allowed to contain continents - and therefore will make your XML VERY large.

C.
Hmmm ... yuk
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:25 pm

One thing that stands out to me that doesn't make sense is the bit about the car conditions. Is it +1 for each car condition or +1 for not holding all 3 car conditions?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:One thing that stands out to me that doesn't make sense is the bit about the car conditions. Is it +1 for each car condition or +1 for not holding all 3 car conditions?

+1 for each and an additional +2 for all 3. So +5 total.

=D=
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps