Conquer Club

Cyprus [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Cyprus [Quenched]

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:23 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

Cyprus

Click image to enlarge.

Xml: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11/14/2187148/Cyprus.xml

Territories: 28 - 8 starting neutrals
    Starting Neutrals (Value):Kyrenia (3), Famagusta (2), Larnaca (2), Limassol (3), Paphos (3),Nicosia (3), 2 British Military Bases (2)
    Territory Count:2or3 players 6/2N - 4 players 5/0N - 5 players 4/0N - 6 players 3/2N - 7 players 2/6N - 8 players 2/4N
    Feautures:
      British Military Bases - connect each other, revert to 2 neutral if held
      Nicosia belongs to both factions
      UN Buffer Zone and Mountains are impassables
    District Bonuses:
      Famagusta, 5 territories, +2
      Kyrenia, 3 territories, +2
      Nicosia, 8 territories, +7
      Larnaca, 4 territories, +4
      Paphos, 3 territories, +2
      Limassol, 3 territories, +3
    Faction Bonuses:
      Greek cities bonus, +1 every 6
      Turkish cities bonus, +1 every 5

show: old versions
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Cyprus - First Draft

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:38 pm

Love it! Couple gameplay questions / suggs:

• is the capital an autodeploy? I'd say it shouldn't be; it's pretty tucked away and would really hinder the impact it has
  • I think you have to make the fact that Nicosia spans two sides of the river more obvious; it took me a hard look to figure that out. Ditto to Larnaca
  • Larnaca + Zyyi + Lefkara (where are your bonus names?) bonus should probably be +4, seeing how Larnaca has to border so many terts
  • is the Famagusta - Paralimni barrier a river? orā€¦

I'm not going to comment on graphics, because I don't think you're done with the final images, but I will say that I absolutely love the title. However, the rest of the map doesn't seem to mesh with it (i.e. the sans serif font, pixelly borders, etc.). I think you should make a larger effort to go for a Greek / Mediterranean feel, one that meshes with the soft pastels of the bonus colors. Lighter water color, some kinda sceneryā€”use your imagination :)
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah why not. A nice small map. I can't see any obvious flaws at the moment, I'll have to take a look with fresh brains though...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 pm

This is pretty cool, I hope you see it through.

I'd like to see some acknowledgement of the fact that half is Turkish and the other half Greek. Perhaps a super-bonus?

I think the UN bufferzone checkpoints need a name. Nevermind... I just realized that actual territory crosses the buffer... this needs to be made clearer. Perhaps you could do checkpoints in the buffer?

I definitely look forward to further development!
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Frito Bandito on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 am

Looks fantastic!
Captain Frito Bandito

Postby captainwalrus on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Why is does the text have the white background? It makes it look weird.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Peter Gibbons on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Great idea that I think will turn into an excellent small map (with a few quirks). Kind of seems like a cross between Malta and San Marino.

Anyway, carry on. I don't have much constructive this early, but I wanted to encourage this.
Major Peter Gibbons

Re: Cyprus - Version 1.1

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Version 1.1

Click image to enlarge.

What is changed:
  • Graphics
  • UN buffer zone replaced a part of Dhekelia
  • Passages through the UN buffer zone
  • New gameplay (bonus not yet assigned2)
  • Starting neutral (white numbers on the map)
  • Other neutrals/Starting position.....(please comment on this :!: )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the.killing.44 wrote:
  • is the capital an autodeploy? I'd say it shouldn't be; it's pretty tucked away and would really hinder the impact it has
  • I think you have to make the fact that Nicosia spans two sides of the river more obvious; it took me a hard look to figure that out. Ditto to Larnaca
  • Larnaca + Zyyi + Lefkara (where are your bonus names?) bonus should probably be +4, seeing how Larnaca has to border so many terts
  • is the Famagusta - Paralimni barrier a river? orā€¦

No nicosia isn't autodeploy. Only a +1 and starts with 3 neutral :?:
Larnaca district (Larnaca + Zyyi + Lefkara) changed ;) .....i don't want to add names on the map...I don't think they are necessary, the minimap is enough..i think
No it isn't a river, is the UN buffer zone, i've replaced a part of Dhekelia to make it more clear. Is it ok now?
Nicosia and larnaca have clear passages now.

captainwalrus wrote:Why is does the text have the white background? It makes it look weird.

removed, i've left it only on the minimap to make the bonuses more visible :)

Industrial Helix wrote:I'd like to see some acknowledgement of the fact that half is Turkish and the other half Greek. Perhaps a super-bonus?

I've added a new bonus for district capitals.
If you hold 3 greek capital you receive X ( :?: )
If you hold 2 turkish capital you receive X ( :?: )
I was thinking a +2/+3 :-k

We have 28 regions. Nicosia is neutral (3). British military bases are neutral (2) to prevent an unfair drop. The starting regions are now 25 and 3 starting neutrals.
Then...there are 5 district capitals (pink numbers on the map) that give a bonus and we need to prevent an unfair start. The easier way is to add other 5 neutrals, but in this case we will have only 20 regions in the starting pot.

Thoughts?

Re: Cyprus - Version 1.1

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Gameplay is looking quite nice at the moment. Being a small map, any flaws in balance will be easy to sort out.

Right now I'm thinking, that the big central bonus area (which brings another point... you have no bonus area names anywhere! They definitely should be) is a bit hard to hold. I'm counting 7 borders to defend, if one was to try to hold that bonus area. Not sure what bonus you have planned for the Nicosia territory, but since it's 1 territory it's not likely to be more than +1, right? So... this would give you 7 troops for 7 borders. Well, it fits, but somehow I don't see anyone going for that bonus zone, it'll be like Asia in classic. My point... well, no point really, just thinking out loud. If you really want a "dead zone" like that in a small map, I guess it can work... if the surrounding areas will be balanced.

I know you wanted mostly gameplay input, but a few words on the graphics: I don't quite like the font for the territory names. It's a bit unclear, and furthermore, it doesn't add to the theme of the map. Something more like the font on your title (not exactly the same though) would seem more appropriate.

Btw... why is the Larnaca bonus zone a +4? It only has 3 territories, IMO a +3 would be more appropriate for the area...

Well, that's all I have for now... it's 5 am again, I should be asleep already, my brain is not functioning at optimal capacity... I'll try to think of more feedback tomorrow. ;)
Last edited by natty dread on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: Cyprus - Version 1.1 (6th Feb)

Postby sully800 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:58 pm

This looks like a good start =D>

More and more I think we must ask ourselves the true purpose of a map and whether or not the site is lacking a map that matches the one under development. Cyprus itself is of course not mapped specifically yet, though it is contained within other maps. 28 territories is a good idea because that has not been as cornered as the standard 42 territory map.

However I must say that basic gameplay of a geographical region (even when including capitals/bases) has been done to death. I get excited about maps that offer truly unique gameplay that fit well with the theme - perhaps Arms Race is the best example - and at the moment this map does not fit that criteria for me.

Once again I must say that it looks great and you are well on your way! My critique does not mean the map is unwanted/unnecessary for the rest of the community, though I would suggest further considering ways to make it more of an original in terms of strategy. :)
Major sully800

Postby mibi on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:45 pm

solid map, good start. just looks a little boring. Cyprus? Whats the 'special purpose'.
Captain mibi

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:57 pm

No critique right now, but did vote! :D
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:13 am

On a quick look I must say that I love the lay out, itā€™s clean and incisive. And it seems like a good format for ā€˜doublesā€™ games.

Iā€™m just not too fond of the Theme itselfā€¦. But thatā€™s just me.

Good work!
Major Kabanellas

Postby skeletonboy on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:22 am

I dont like the texture on the land.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby grifftron on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:24 am

Love this map, looked at it and wanted to play on it already. I think Cyprus is a great idea for a map.

Just a comment on the game play, wont the green star capital be too easy to hold for a bonus?

anyways great idea NB

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby samuelc812 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Nice map mate :)

It's nice and simple and will fit right in with the other maps of it's kind on Conquer Club.

A few graphical nit-picks:
  • The border that surrounds the whole of Cyprus is a bit blurry.
  • The font of the header is nice and suits the Cyprus theme, but i think you could do a bit more with the header, some colour and extra flair. It just looks a bit plain at the moment.
  • The two wheat stalks under the header (If that is what they are?) i think they would look nicer if they underlined the whole Cyprus word instead of just the centre.
  • The mini-map in my opinion is a bit too small, you have a bit more space to use next to the heading. You could make a bigger mini-map?

Looking nice nobodies :)

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby shakeycat on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:54 pm

I'd like if Turkish and Greek were capitalized. It takes a moment more for the word to click when it's all in lower-case.

Is there a clearer way to say "this half is Turkish, this half is Greek"? Something that would make the Turkish half visually different, maybe a red overlay up there, a blue one below? Something subtle but effective.

And it may help to understand the purpose behind the map if there was a short synopsis of the situation behind it, explaining its independence and the presence of the British, UN, Turks and Greeks all on this little island.
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby rutherfoo on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 am

I think this map looks great, graphically and game-play-wise.
Sergeant 1st Class rutherfoo

Postby Calidrmr on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:49 pm

i like this nobodies! :D
<Juan_Bottom>You're like the Barry Bonds of drinking. You don't need the practice you just do it because you like it.
Sergeant 1st Class Calidrmr

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:45 am

Am I the only one looking at Rizokarpaso, Yalousa, and Akanthou and thinking about nuetrals? If you get dropped with Rizokarpaso and Yalousa with nuetrals on Akanthou in a singles game you have two dead terts. Rare I know, but it would suck to have it happen.

Other than that I kinda agree with Sully, about trying new game play Ideas. With this being a historical place; and today a divided country I would think that you have all kinds of ideas about twisting game play. But! I also believe that on a classic game play map you do not need to go over the top with features, nor even include any. Classic is always excepted around here. And so long as this isn't a new map of Europe or USA I am comfortable with it forging.

What's up with the Brits attacking themselves? Is this to have a bridge to the other side of the island?

EDIT: I don't even remember this post. Not enough coffee in the world some times.
Last edited by Juan_Bottom on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 am

Thank you all for the comments ;)

I'm going to develope a version B with a totally different gameplay, but i need to look at it a bit more....
I'm not totally sure if i can do exactly what i thought with the current xml features #-o :lol:
Anyway it should be ready in few days :)

Thanks again
Nobodies

Postby skepticCS on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:55 pm

I like it! A good small (but not too small), straightforward map. I think think the land part of the map looks just fine graphically. However, I would like to see some more character in the open areas around the island. Either beef up title and legend or add some background art, perhaps featuring some of the geographic/historical features of the island. That's just a personal thing, though, not a deal-breaker.

Gameplay looks fine to me.
........................................................................................................Map in Development:
Image Image
Sergeant 1st Class skepticCS

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:00 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Thank you all for the comments ;)

I'm going to develope a version B with a totally different gameplay, but i need to look at it a bit more....
I'm not totally sure if i can do exactly what i thought with the current xml features #-o :lol:
Anyway it should be ready in few days :)

Looking forward to seeing what you're got up your sleeves ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:08 pm

This project has gone slowly for too long .... in addition I just discovered that I lost the files. ](*,) I need to restart from a scratch.
So currently, as we say in Italy, i'm on the high seas.......although the sea brought to me a helping hand. 8-[ ;)

Re: Cyprus [Coming Soon]

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:36 pm

This could be a sweet little map. Please continue.
Glad to help with the graphics, if you should need it. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Next

Return to The Atlas