Conquer Club

Japan - 日本 - Quenched

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Japan - 日本 (D, Gp, Gr) V14.0 XML checked ready to go

Postby jefjef on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:25 pm

Some of us are idea people. Some of my suggs have been incorporated into this map. The 13 colonies map. Fractured America map. Stalingrad.

Why do you feel it necc to attempt to belittle some peoples contributions?

This map began as an idea. So did the USA.

All I am saying is maybe it's time for us to step back and let RBO cross the finish line.

BYE.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:07 pm

jefjef wrote:Some of us are idea people. Some of my suggs have been incorporated into this map. The 13 colonies map. Fractured America map. Stalingrad.

Why do you feel it necc to attempt to belittle some peoples contributions?

This map began as an idea. So did the USA.

All I am saying is maybe it's time for us to step back and let RBO cross the finish line.

BYE.
Not at all jeff. no belittling from my end. Only testifying to the benefit of the illustrated sugg.

Nothing wrong with "idea" men, and you do not need to be a graphic artist, to contribute good ideas. It can however, allow you to get your point across visually. I know very well that visual suggs will never become more numerous than non-visuals are. But it sure saves time for the map maker, when he can see right away, if it is an idea that he deems worthy of consideration, ...or not. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:12 pm

porkenbeans, once again you come late to the forge party suggesting sweeping visual changes to a map. As I stated in the 13 colonies map the other day:
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=78339&start=450#p2420324
MrBenn wrote:These comments might have been more welcome at any point during the past couple of months when the map was still in the graphics workshop.

In the forge, the focus is on getting the map working (ie XML), and for fixing any tiny little niggles that will have an impact on gameplay (eg understanding territory connections etc.)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Aalmeida17 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:25 pm

iam waiting :P :P 8-)
Cook Aalmeida17

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 pm

MrBenn wrote:porkenbeans, once again you come late to the forge party suggesting sweeping visual changes to a map. As I stated in the 13 colonies map the other day:
MrBenn wrote:These comments might have been more welcome at any point during the past couple of months when the map was still in the graphics workshop.

In the forge, the focus is on getting the map working (ie XML), and for fixing any tiny little niggles that will have an impact on gameplay (eg understanding territory connections etc.)
MR B, My suggs are NOT sweeping changes. They only go to the coordinates of names and numbers. Any other embellishments were only done as a side note, and were NOT seriously being suggested. If you take the time to read this thread and follow along with the conversation, you will find that I clearly stated as much. My illustrated sugg. is only to show name and army placements. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby ender516 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:35 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
MrBenn wrote:porkenbeans, once again you come late to the forge party suggesting sweeping visual changes to a map. As I stated in the 13 colonies map the other day:

MR B, My suggs are NOT sweeping changes. They only go to the coordinates of names and numbers. Any other embellishments were only done as a side note, and were NOT seriously being suggested. If you take the time to read this thread and follow along with the conversation, you will find that I clearly stated as much. My illustrated sugg. is only to show name and army placements. 8-)

To be fair, you did also suggest changing the outlines of some of the islands.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:37 pm

ender516 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:

To be fair, you did also suggest changing the outlines of some of the islands.
Yes, because of placement issues with names and numbers. :?
They are very small tweaks, and nothing even approaching "sweeping changes".
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:46 pm

There are ways of suggesting changes without coming across as annoying. There is some merit in the suggestion to move some army coordinates, but this was lost due to the distraction of the blinking massive ship.

If you're making a serious suggestion, it's always better to leave it as a serious suggestion than accompanying it with tomfoolery.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 pm

MrBenn wrote:There are ways of suggesting changes without coming across as annoying. There is some merit in the suggestion to move some army coordinates, but this was lost due to the distraction of the blinking massive ship.

If you're making a serious suggestion, it's always better to leave it as a serious suggestion than accompanying it with tomfoolery.
Sorry about the blinking ship. I thought it would be OK if I explained that it was NOT a part of my main suggestion, and that the post was to address the coords.

Army placements and such has got to be the most boring phase in the process, as evidenced by the drop off in feedback when a map gets to this stage. I was just trying to lighten, and loosen up the place. maybe if there was a more jovial atmosphere in this sub-forum, it would start to receive more feedback ?

In any case, I will try to keep my "tomfoolery" in check. :lol:

Well, we have been talking about the coords, I guess its up to red, to pump out the next updated version, if there is going to be any changes or not.

So whats next on the agenda ? Can we start talking about it while we are waiting for the update ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 pm

Link to large image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/RedBaron0/bigjapanfinal.png
Link to small image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/RedBaron0/japanfinal.png
XML: http://h1.ripway.com/RedBaron/Japanfinal.xml

Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Small:
Click image to enlarge.

Large 888:
Click image to enlarge.

Large 88:
Click image to enlarge.

Large Random:
Click image to enlarge.

Small 888:
Click image to enlarge.

Small 88:
Click image to enlarge.

Small Random:
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby jefjef on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Nice. =D> =D> =D>

Tsushima & Isu numbers. I personally like em on the terts. But I spose they probably look better the way ya have em.

Chiba. I like the name a tad lower.Not so in line with Tokyo.

Nuff nit picking from me.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Nice work!

Only thing I can see for now is, that in the large map, the army number for Sado could be moved just a pixel or two to the right. That way the 2-digit number would be within the borders of the island, and since the 3-digit number won't fit inside the borders anyway, it's better that the 2-digit at least will be in.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Easy enough to fix Chiba moved up on small map, no change to the large. Hit F5 to see the change on the blank image. I'll fix the position of Sado too and update the 1st post with the current code.

Numbers off the islands will stay the way they are to generally be uniform. 88's will fit on all the smaller island without much issue, except Okinawa, but for sure 888 will not.
ImageImage

Re: Japan - 日本 (D, Gp, Gr) V14.0 XML checked ready for Beta

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:10 am

Looking good red.
One very small nit pick- The names Chugoku, and Shikoku, on the mini map, should be shifted about 1/8 in. to the right. ;)

Maybe "the sea of Japan" could be moved over, a little closer to the Junk.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Got them both. I actually moved Chugoku north of the islands between the little Oki-Shoto and the main island of Honshu. (hit F5 if you still see the old position) The Sea of Japan will remain where it is, the main numbers(single and double digits) is centered perfectly between the junk and the name, only the third digit doesn't center, but doesn't overlap the junk.

Link to large image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/RedBaron0/bigjapanfinal.png
Link to small image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/RedBaron0/japanfinal.png
XML: http://h1.ripway.com/RedBaron/Japanfinal.xml

Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Small:
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:32 pm

I am lovin this map. I have too many positive critiques, So, I will only mention the one remaining negative. It is NOT a large issue, and I only mention it because it is the only thing That I could think of, that imo, could be improved.

I have already said this, but as I look at the canvas and critique the work from a compositional standpoint, I see an issue with the "main focus". In most, but not all great works of art, you will find the main focus towards the center of the canvas. The main focus is that spot where your eyes are drawn too, and first land. This area acts as an anchor, and when used successfully, holds everything together. There are many various ways to establish the focus point. you can use size, lighting, color etc...

Then there is the matter of "divine proportion" and how it offer's benefit to your composition. I wont go in to that right now.

Back to the man focus aspect. I see in the center of this picture mostly empty, negative space. In the center of it all is a small and in-descriptive junk. I think that if you were to use some of the methods above, you could establish the junk as the main focus. To help with this, I suggest that you put a gradient fade on the compass rose, and make it fade into the background like the sun is. As it is now, it will be competing with the junk as the main focus.

Anyway, all in all, I like this map pretty much as it is now. Just throwing something out there if you are looking for something to fart around with. I have been trying as hard as I might, to find anything that can possibly be improved. I can not see anything else, so is there anything that has not been suggested and addressed ? if not, what is the next step on the road to quench ? :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:44 pm

One thing you kinda forget here pork...

This is not a painting, this is a map, and a map which is used for gameplay. Thus, artistic concepts need to be second place in priority, right after playability/legibility/clarity.

I think if the junk was accentuated by any means, it would take away from the simplistic japanese style of the map, but also from the clarity and legibility of the map.

The map is pretty much ready for beta as it is now. I don't see anything that should be changed, just let me play the map already! :D

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:14 pm

natty_dread wrote:One thing you kinda forget here pork...

This is not a painting, this is a map, and a map which is used for gameplay. Thus, artistic concepts need to be second place in priority, right after playability/legibility/clarity.

I think if the junk was accentuated by any means, it would take away from the simplistic japanese style of the map, but also from the clarity and legibility of the map.

The map is pretty much ready for beta as it is now. I don't see anything that should be changed, just let me play the map already! :D
Yes I know this is map for a game, but, maybe you are forgetting that this is not a map. this is a game that uses a map. If I were to open an atlas to a random page, I will find a map that has its composition dictated by the layout of the land. the trick is, taking that map and producing a game, and, is just what this IS all about. With embellishments and/or alterations, a map can be made into a playable game. What many people do not quite understand is, the map can be altered here and there on its way to being transformed into a game. The playability and artistic composition is what you are trying to incorporate.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Yes, there is a balance between playability and artistic composition. But if they need to be put in a scale, the scale will always tip for playability.

However, I do get your point. The junk kinda fades to the background. Adding just a bit more contrast between the junk and the background would not be bad. But it's not a major issue, and quite frankly the map could just as well enter beta as it is now.

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:37 pm

natty_dread wrote:Yes, there is a balance between playability and artistic composition. But if they need to be put in a scale, the scale will always tip for playability.

However, I do get your point. The junk kinda fades to the background. Adding just a bit more contrast between the junk and the background would not be bad. But it's not a major issue, and quite frankly the map could just as well enter beta as it is now.
Yes, as I said, I had to search hard to find anything that could possibly be improved. I have followed this project from the start. I have seen it come through a long process of improvement. It surely has come a long way, and I too am happy with it. We can all keep tweaking this thing till the end of time, or we can roll it out as is.

I say roll it out now. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:43 pm

I say quit messing with the graphics... these comments would be more appropriate during the near half year this map was in the graphics workshop.

Secondly, this map is about Japan, not the boat.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Indeed I'd say, just point that quench gun at this map and fire up some beta rays. ;)

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:I say quit messing with the graphics... these comments would be more appropriate during the near half year this map was in the graphics workshop.

Secondly, this map is about Japan, not the boat.
You should scroll back, You will find that I HAVE been contributing to the development of this map from the beginning. Also if you were to read my last sugg with a little more thought, you will clearly understand, that I am only playing the devils advocate, and just trying to point out the weaker aspects of this map. I have pointed out that IMO this map is very strong, and I really had to look hard to find what I believe are its weakest points. IH, I am a graphics guy, and I am sure that you are aware that most, if not all of my posts, are about graphics. At this stage, I believe that it IS appropriate to comment about any final tweaks.

I understand that this map has many fans, including me, and we are all anxious to welcome its birth, into the world of live play. But, any and all suggestions that go to the final tweaks, should be welcomed. someone might come up with a small tweak that would improve the map.

If you see something that is only a small tweak, and would not cause any substantial changes, NOW is the time to post it. If red sees any merit to it, he can quickly and easily try it out. If he is not happy with it, he can just scratch it off the list. On the other hand, if he IS happy with it, he can post it and see what the fans say. I believe that any tweak suggestion that only takes red a few moments to try out, is well worth the time spent at this stage. After all, this project has spent hundreds of hours in its development. The 2 or 3 minutes spent on a tweak suggestion or 2, is time well spent.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby jefjef on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Looks good RB0.

If ya want you could replace the boat with a giant squid. Don't forget to give me an honorable mention on this map too. 8-)

Colonel jefjef

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Where did you get that picture, jeff ? :lol:

I like it.
There are indeed a few ancient myths surrounding sea monsters. Its almost like all that empty space in the center of the map, has just been waiting for one of those sea monsters to raise its head. Something like that, if it was pulled off just right, could just be the thing that sends this map over the top. For shits and giggles, I will see if I can find an old Japanese drawing that might work. stay tuned... ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas