Baltic Crusades

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baltic Crusades

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:28 am

theBastard wrote:I a little edit fonts, now they are more redable. yours are great! they looks a little as Old English... I used which I have in CS2.

the trees which I add to map are necessary I think. I have few questions:
1, I made new layer for trees and named it "trees". but every tree has own layer as "layer 65", "layer 66"... is this fine?
2, if we do castles auto-deploy and any of castle will be neutral from start will this neutral castle auto-deploy "neutral" units?
3, is possible to set that castles will auto-deploy +3, but when we mark 4 of them as "special (teutonic)" and player holds all 4 these will auto-deploy +4?
Click image to enlarge.

I find that font still very hard to read. I think you're going to have to swap it with a new font.

1) This is normal. What you can do if you like is merge those layers to make a single layer of trees. It will make editing slightly more difficult as you'll have to do each tree one by one again, but at least you won't have so many files. To merge the layers, click on the top layer and hit ctrl+E, which will merge the top layer with the one beneath it. Alternatively, you can go to the layer menu up top and near the bottom of the menu is "Merge down"

2) It will not autodeploy neutral units. It only auto deploys when a player holds it.

3) I don't think this is possible. What is possible is that the castles can auto-deploy 3 and you get an additional bonus of 4 for holding 4 castles. Same numbers, just a different way of getting them.

Lastly, some housekeeping. Update your first post or no one will ever comment on this map and the mods won't advance it. Take a look at one of my map threads and its first post:
viewtopic.php?f=468&t=95710

You need to have your map information, the Current image version and previous versions. Always update your first page, a lot of times you can put something in the title that says what the current discussion about the map is going on, but that's more for when this goes into the gameplay workshop.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby theBastard on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 am

thanks for answers. yours maps looks great. I like your style. how you did so "used" look?
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 am

theBastard wrote:thanks for answers. yours maps looks great. I like your style. how you did so "used" look?

Tutorial on grunge layers
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:24 pm

natty_dread wrote:
theBastard wrote:thanks for answers. yours maps looks great. I like your style. how you did so "used" look?

Tutorial on grunge layers

Natty's got it. I think once we get the skeleton of the map done, we'll work on adding some grunge to give the map life. But I'd rather have the basics of the map done first before we move on to advanced graphics.
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby theBastard on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 pm

o.k. and thanks guys. what do you think now? I am going to edit my first post as you told me Helix. when you say it is good I will write names of regions. will we do visible army circles?
Click image to enlarge.

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby Sir. Ricco on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I have to admit, the green as water is very confusing. Would it be possible to change it to a blue?
Captain Sir. Ricco

Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby theBastard on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:I have to admit, the green as water is very confusing. Would it be possible to change it to a blue?

for me no problem. I have one old map as base and there was water green. I wait for Industrial Helix what he will say...

Postby theBastard on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 pm

what about this?
Click image to enlarge.

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Btw... I noticed something in your legend: "Hanseatic towns, autodeploy +2 if you also hold visby"...

This is not possible: you can't make a conditional autodeploy.

You can make it give a normal deployable bonus of +2 if you also hold visby, or you can make it give a +2 autodeploy at all times, but sadly conditional autodeploys are not supported at the moment.

You could make them give a +1 autodeploy, and then give an additional +1 regular bonus if you also hold Visby.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby theBastard on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 pm

o.k. thanks.

Postby theBastard on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Helix, I´ve look at your "Italy map", could I write names of regions as you wrote "Nice"? so names of coastal towns/castle will be in the sea?
I´ve change deploying of towns, natty_dread told me that is impossible to have "each auto-deploy +2 when you also have Visby", so I added "each auto-deploy +1 and when you also have Visby bonus +1".

what do you think now?
Click image to enlarge.

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Ok... that text is a tad too small for that font to work... I'd suggest picking a font that has less going on in it. Though, if you increased the size of it in the legend it might be alright for the legend only.

Instead of killing hours changing them one by one, check out this tip which makes it real easy.

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2004/11/ ... photoshop/

Noticed you've got an image int he background... it works pretty nicely in the water but on the land its just distracting. Move the image so that the colors and borders layers sit on top of the image and the water underneath.

Speaking of water... I think you ought to go for a blue color instead of the tan. The tan is just too similar to the land to work for this map. Here's how: Select the layer that the water is. In the upper menu go to Image -> Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation. Hit the checkbox colorize. Play with the Hue until you find a nice blue. Desaturate will make it more gray or real bright, lightness will make it darker or lighter. I'd say a lightly desaturated blue would work well for this map, especially with the image in the background.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby theBastard on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 am

I a little edit fonts and made them bigger. also recoloured water and added sea routs. and I did Lordship of Courland and Bishopric of Osel and Wiek not so dark. the castles and towns symbols are smaller -10 %.

this is size 630 x 600
Click image to enlarge.

EDIT:
or look here. less dark Duchy of Pomerania, Livonian Confederation, Kingdom of Poland, Principality of Rugen.
size 630 x 600
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by theBastard on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby theBastard on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:34 am

what about to do "Hanseatic trade routes" on land too?
Click image to enlarge.

Postby Sir. Ricco on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:29 pm

I like the water color. It balances out the overall look of things.

Does the land route connect the starting and ending points?
Captain Sir. Ricco

Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas