Conquer Club

D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:05 am

Commander62890 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:What I really love about this map is, it is complicated, in that a lot of the names are very similar. It took me a few games before I memorized them, and I still make a mistake now and then with deployments and attacks, but not often. which usually gives me the upper hand against someone that is not as familiar with the map.

It doesn't give you an advantage if they are using clickies, of course
I do not play freestyle.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Incandenza on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:12 am

Coleman wrote:Actually, there are 2 problems I see that have merit in my eyes, first, that the territory count is very bad for 1v1 games and second that the -1 bonus is equally bad if you get it in a 1v1 game. To fix these two problems simultaneously all I would need to do is make both planes start with 3 neutral. This would in effect decrease the territory count by 2 and it would stop people from starting with the -1 bonus in 1v1 without requiring us to do any drastic redesigns to the map.

If the cartos feel this is a positive change I'll adjust the xml and send it to whomever receives xml updates now a days.

Rather than making the planes start neutral, what about the landing points? If, indeed, the purpose of the -1 is to discourage rampant expansion from the ships, then it works just as well... plus anyone looking to control the outermost ships would also have to eliminate any enemies from the planes to secure their borders, making it a bit harder to control them in the first place. With the attendant removal of the strong first-mover advantage in 1v1 (as well as 2v2), that might be a nice fix.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:40 am

porkenbeans wrote:I think the map plays fine as it is. The Graphics suck, so if you are going to change anything, that is where i would start. ;)

What's wrong with the graphics? They look fine to me.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby mibi on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:02 am

porkenbeans wrote:I think the map plays fine as it is. The Graphics suck, so if you are going to change anything, that is where i would start. ;)

Revamp the graphics. Then put yours and mine to a vote, if yours wins, I will give you $500.
Captain mibi

Postby RjBeals on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 pm

mibi wrote:

Revamp the graphics. Then put yours and mine to a vote, if yours wins, I will give you $500.

that sounds like a challenge.
Private RjBeals

Postby Coleman on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:22 am

Incandenza wrote:
Coleman wrote:Actually, there are 2 problems I see that have merit in my eyes, first, that the territory count is very bad for 1v1 games and second that the -1 bonus is equally bad if you get it in a 1v1 game. To fix these two problems simultaneously all I would need to do is make both planes start with 3 neutral. This would in effect decrease the territory count by 2 and it would stop people from starting with the -1 bonus in 1v1 without requiring us to do any drastic redesigns to the map.

If the cartos feel this is a positive change I'll adjust the xml and send it to whomever receives xml updates now a days.

Rather than making the planes start neutral, what about the landing points? If, indeed, the purpose of the -1 is to discourage rampant expansion from the ships, then it works just as well... plus anyone looking to control the outermost ships would also have to eliminate any enemies from the planes to secure their borders, making it a bit harder to control them in the first place. With the attendant removal of the strong first-mover advantage in 1v1 (as well as 2v2), that might be a nice fix.

Thank you! That makes more sense to me and is far less arbitrary then my solution. Just waiting on an okay from mibi then.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby oaktown on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:20 am

mibi wrote:

Holy crap, first Coleman comes back and now this. The Foundry just got interesting again.
Whadya say, Porky? Other than a little pride, what do you have to lose?

( :shock: :shock: :shock: these are the eyes of Foundry waiting to see what your next move will be.)
Captain oaktown

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:18 am

Quite like to see this.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby mibi on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 am

Coleman has my blessing to do what ever he sees fit to this map.
Captain mibi

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Lovin' the porkenabsence.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:48 pm

I will gladly take you up on that offer mibi, but before I go to all the trouble of revamping this map from the ground up, take a quick look at what I can do with only 40 min. in photoshop.
There are a few more things that I have in mind. like upgrading those awful looking ships etc.

The 40 min. revamp is already an improvement on this map, with more work, it will make your finished image, look like a rough draft. :lol:

I will take you up on the offer, but, I will demand a voting process that you and your peanut gallery can NOT fix. I will send out ballots to a few dozen CC members that are not "Forum regulars", and they will be players that have never played this map before.

OR-

You can accept my alternate offer.

And that is,
you agree to stop this childish game that you and your clan have been playing in the Foundry.
Your constant attempt at humor, by tearing down map makers efforts, must come to an end. It is NOT funny, and only drives people away from the Foundry. It is not constructive in any way.
I would much rather see you use your experience to help others, instead of making jokes and hurting people.

Trust me when I tell you that, you will be lucky to get 2% of the vote if it comes down to it.

So, what do ya say ? ;)
Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Playing with contrast and colors, man, that's intense shit.

As a piece of art your beach-and-ocean area is nicer to look at; as a map, the whole thing wouldn't pass. In any case, the challenge was to make your own map, and that means your own graphical concepts, which are the things people think are shit, anyway.

And mib isn't in a clan.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:09 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Playing with contrast and colors, man, that's intense shit.

As a piece of art your beach-and-ocean area is nicer to look at; as a map, the whole thing wouldn't pass. In any case, the challenge was to make your own map, and that means your own graphical concepts, which are the things people think are shit, anyway.

And mib isn't in a clan.
First, If you think this was just playing with contrast and colors, you would be wrong.
Second, the challenge was to revamp, not to make my own map. If I were going to do that, I would make a much more true representation of the Battle at Omaha Beach. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:Playing with contrast and colors, man, that's intense shit.

And mib isn't in a clan.
First, If you think this was just playing with contrast and colors, you would be wrong.
Second, the challenge was to revamp, not to make my own map. If I were going to do that, I would make a much more true representation of the Battle at Omaha Beach. ;)

Revamp = map with same gameplay but different graphics.

Soo, you can back out or try this.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby RjBeals on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm

actually, the 2 side by side, i may vote for pork's - except for the title. I don't like what you did to that. Nice work for 40 min's.
Private RjBeals

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:58 pm

RjBeals wrote:actually, the 2 side by side, i may vote for pork's - except for the title. I don't like what you did to that. Nice work for 40 min's.

Like I said, as a piece of art. He scrapped any separate area distinction though.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby mibi on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:08 pm

I've been bested! The check is in the mail sir.

ROFL

hey porkiebeans, do you have a portfolio somewhere or is CC maps your only thing? Just curious as you portray your self as the Michelangelo of the internet.
Captain mibi

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:37 pm

mibi wrote:I've been bested! The check is in the mail sir.

ROFL

hey porkiebeans, do you have a portfolio somewhere or is CC maps your only thing? Just curious as you portray your self as the Michelangelo of the internet.
If you payed more attention instead of always trying to crack funny, you would already know, that I have only been fiddling around with photoshop for a little over a year. I have never read the manual, only learned by trial and error. To tell the truth, I barely know how to operate a computer.
I am however, an artistic person, and could make something good out of mud and sticks, if asked. lol. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby mibi on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:03 pm

porkenbeans wrote:

ROFL

If you payed more attention instead of always trying to crack funny, you would already know, that I have only been fiddling around with photoshop for a little over a year. I have never read the manual, only learned by trial and error. To tell the truth, I barely know how to operate a computer.
I am however, an artistic person, and could make something good out of mud and sticks, if asked. lol. ;)

My 2.5 year old is artistic too, you should see what he can do with a poopy diaper. It's cool though, he doesn't have a portfolio either.
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:26 am

New XML: http://members.cox.net/gyrigo/CC/D-Day_ ... Beach!.xml

Changes

• Changed 21st German Panzers 6 to start with 3 Neutral
  • Changed 916th German Grenadiers 8 to start with 3 Neutral
Reasons

• To correct an undesirable advantage due to territory count given to the first turn player in 2 and 3 player games.
  • To prevent players from starting the game with a -1 or -2 bonus.

Necessity of change brought up by several members of the community, advised by the highly honorable Incandenza, and placed into a revised XML by Coleman with the indirect but valid approval of mibi.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 pm

mibi wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:

ROFL

My 2.5 year old is artistic too, you should see what he can do with a poopy diaper. It's cool though, he doesn't have a portfolio either.
Well, well, well, someone is a sore LOOSER. :lol:

I met your challenge, and with minimal effort, took your masterpiece that took you months to do, and turned it from a flat, drab, muddy with no contrast map, into a map that has depth, realistic color tones, contrast, and texture.

You could say that I beat you with one arm tied. :lol:

Now you start talking about "portfolios" and "shitty diapers" :?

Why can't you just accept defeat ?
Do I need to use both hands, and do a serious revamp on this map ?

Or, will the almighty mibi just admit, that he is my junior in the artistic department ?
I concede that I am your junior in the photoshop department. You may even be the most knowledgeable person at CC when it comes to photoshop operation. You seem to possess the knowledge, (if not the willingness) to teach others in this field. It is a shame that you choose instead, to make fun of others, and use this forum as a platform to disperse nasty wisecracks to everyone, that only wish to have a little fun here. This continuing conduct of yours has succeeded in driving away several of CC's best cartographers, and to you it is all just a joke. You have zero consideration of others, your antics are juvenile, and it amazes me that CC allows this to go on. :(
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Second, the challenge was to revamp, not to make my own map.

Just to point out - in Foundry parlance - you have done a "touch-up"...

With regards to the two images.

I like the Sea texture.
The Sea colour is too bright - this is northern france remember... although it was in the summer - the landings commenced at 6:30 in the morning.
The text in the sea hurts my eyes.
The red numbers have been almost made illegible (not quite but almost - I suspect that people with worse eyesight than mine might struggle)
The title is interesting - but perhaps a touch overdone.
I'm not 100% sure whether I prefer the dark beach or not... but in contrast to the bright sea I don't - but with the darker sea of Mibi's it could work.

As a last point - you've actually hurt your image by putting it on a black background (and applying a horrible signature) - remember that CC has white(/slight grey) backgrounds on the forum and map screen.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:38 pm

yeti_c wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Second, the challenge was to revamp, not to make my own map.

Just to point out - in Foundry parlance - you have done a "touch-up"...

With regards to the two images.

I like the Sea texture.
The Sea colour is too bright - this is northern france remember... although it was in the summer - the landings commenced at 6:30 in the morning.
The text in the sea hurts my eyes.
The red numbers have been almost made illegible (not quite but almost - I suspect that people with worse eyesight than mine might struggle)
The title is interesting - but perhaps a touch overdone.
I'm not 100% sure whether I prefer the dark beach or not... but in contrast to the bright sea I don't - but with the darker sea of Mibi's it could work.

As a last point - you've actually hurt your image by putting it on a black background (and applying a horrible signature) - remember that CC has white(/slight grey) backgrounds on the forum and map screen.

C.
Thanks yeti, I agree with some of your observations, but keep in mind that this was only a quick stab at showing the direction I would take it. The text and other issues would of coarse be addressed if I were to do a serious revamp.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Coleman wrote:New XML: http://members.cox.net/gyrigo/CC/D-Day_ ... Beach!.xml

Changes

• Changed 21st German Panzers 6 to start with 3 Neutral
  • Changed 916th German Grenadiers 8 to start with 3 Neutral
Reasons

• To correct an undesirable advantage due to territory count given to the first turn player in 2 and 3 player games.
  • To prevent players from starting the game with a -1 or -2 bonus.

Necessity of change brought up by several members of the community, advised by the highly honorable Incandenza, and placed into a revised XML by Coleman with the indirect but valid approval of mibi.

How's about making the "bombard" territories - use the *new* bombard feature?!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Coleman on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Because that would be a complete gameplay redesign and would take the map into a direction I don't really agree with. I'd sooner see the map taken off the site.
Sergeant Coleman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas