Conquer Club

Bull's Eye

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Bull's Eye

Postby grifftron on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:11 am

BULLS EYE MAP!

Just throwing out ideas, i know the idea of having a bulls head as a map sounds silly but i really think it would make for a great game play. Please write down your thoughts and if people don't like the idea then it wont go threw, and that's that!

Click image to enlarge.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/439 ... 507c_o.jpg

Here is another one with digis (just to make the neutrals seen and also the 888's just to show were players will be dropping in
Click image to enlarge.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/439 ... f708_o.jpg

-griff
Last edited by grifftron on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Bull's Eye

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:02 am

The graphics are cool, but why would anyone want to conquer a bull?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby grifftron on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:48 am

Because bulls are the bomb!

Why would anyone want to conquer a house, a mall or a friggen bee hive?

I'm working out the game play on this one right now, i think a bull with the horns and the long neck area will make for a great place to battle on the bottom of this map, and the horns will be more used for trying to hold, and the eyes and ring on the nose will have the unique powers. I feel this would make a great map to play on. Why not a bull? I am working on a more clearer version right now, boarders will be more clearer.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:57 am

all I got to say is MOOO!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:18 am

What I mean, is that your map needs a real theme & background story.

Ok, so the hive is a huge beehive. One could say that the bees are waging war against each other, for the control of the beehive. That map has a theme, and a story.

Or we could take poison rome for example. There's a family of ancient romans, who fight each other by assassinations and poisioning each others' foods and stuff. The map seems abstract, but it really has a working story & theme when you look under the surface.

So far, what you have here, is a picture of a bull divided into territories. Kinda reminds me of the maps in landgrab... They have these silly maps, like a map that is shaped like a skull, and divided into territories... what's the point of that map? Are we conquering a skull, or a land that is shaped like a skull? For what reason, what's the idea there? Your bull kinda has the same problem.

So what's the story of your bull? The players are going to need a reason for fighting over a bull. Some kind of story that you can use as material for your map, like, the players are fleas and are fighting over the control of the bull, which is their food & home... or something like that, but you'd need to implement that theme to your map both graphically and gameplay-wise.

Look, I know what it's like being a new mapmaker. Good ideas are hard to come by. When I started making maps, my first map was a map of a protein. I worked hard on it, and tried really hard to develop a theme for the map, that would make the map interesting to players, but in the end, the concept was still too vague, and the mods told me so although I didn't want to believe them at first, as I had worked so hard (and some people, probably some chemistry nuts like me, really liked the map which had encouraged me to keep working on it) but eventually I had to let go of it, and accept the fact that just because I thought my idea was good, it never would have probably been a very popular map. Because, in the end, it was still a map of a protein, and there really was no background story that would explain why the players were fighting over a single molecule.

I'd almost like to advise you to drop this project, since it will surely be an uphill battle if you pursue it, and there are easier, more suitable subjects for a new mapmaker. But, I don't know, you could make it work, if you really put some thought and energy into developing the map. But I'd hate to see you go through the same troubles I did when I first started.

Well, in the end, it's your decision. Good luck whatever you decide.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby grifftron on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks Natty for the advice,

We will see what others say of the map... I do like the fleas fighting to take over the bull :lol: That's kinda funny... but the main reason i choose a bull was because of the game play... i like how a bull head looks for game play... but if people don't like it then i would drop it for sure...

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MarshalNey on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 am

The idea is goofy, silly and entertaining to me for that reason.... but no I can't imagine playing this map. Cow Island, however..... well even then probably no, unless it had a lot of humor to it.

Actually, natty's right, I encouraged about half a dozen of my friends to join this site, and most of them don't like the 'abstract' maps. Eight Thoughts has better gameplay- more balance especially- than most of the geographical maps, but my friends refuse to touch it (except for one, who like me enjoys good gameplay and has an imagination).

So, really, if you like the Bull's Head as a shape for a map, maybe you can come up with something that just happens to have that shape but isn't an odd target sitting on a fence.
Captain MarshalNey

Postby grifftron on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:18 am

Yeah i see what your saying there Marshal... let me just keep throwing some ideas out on this map, i am going with nattys last suggestion for putting a theme to the map, although goofy in a way, it might make the map more interesting... i do like the game play on this map tho. Mess around with the bonuses it could turn into something good. See what happens... if people don't like it, then it wont go threw. period.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby elGrande on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:16 pm

ha.. Actually I agree with Natty about it not really having a point.. but I do like the idea of a pasture of bulls or something. Why not a map of a farm and use the bull idea somewhere in there. I do think the idea is pretty funny though.. well written out on the map too.. :P

El Grande
Cook elGrande

Postby grifftron on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 am

Man... bulls are bomb. But that might not pass this map :lol:
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grifftron on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:30 am

Hey "Men in Blue" you can toss this one... just deleted the files when i changed over to windows 7.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby rutherfoo on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 am

I'd play this. I like the idea of a battling swarm of flies.
Sergeant 1st Class rutherfoo

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas