Conquer Club

Allow Username Changes [Done]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

change in nickname

Postby Kaiser_Tottenham on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Concise description:
  • just change in policy: let the people able to change their nicknames.

[/list]
Major Kaiser_Tottenham

Re: change in nickname

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:42 pm

At this time we are not eager to allow the changing of usernames except in extreme circumstances (offensive or vulgar usernames) due to the toll it takes on the game records, database, and other back end processes.

Perhaps in the future it will be a possibility, but for the time being it is not an option.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Rocketry on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:At this time we are not eager to allow the changing of usernames except in extreme circumstances (offensive or vulgar usernames) due to the toll it takes on the game records, database, and other back end processes.

Perhaps in the future it will be a possibility, but for the time being it is not an option.

Perhaps it would make sense to add a note to the sign-up page stating that usernames cannont be changed at a later date? - Just to encourage people to think more carefully about what they choose.

Rocket.
Lieutenant Rocketry

Postby Kaiser_Tottenham on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 am

i agree with all what said here

but problem one i joint here, i used this my email due to my old email, but i'm not longer using it.

so if think if you can make exception for old membership [ specialy premium ] , plus approvement by operating manager, considering to the player's number of games and posts.

I'm not that famous here :lol:
Major Kaiser_Tottenham

Allow Username Changes [Done]

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Concise description:
  • Allow users to change their username once per year

Specifics/Details:
  • The old username would still be displayed on their profile and could still be searched

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Many have asked for this feature in the past, and I'm sure many more would take advantage of this feature if it were offered. I know this issue is at least in the back of the minds of the admins, but let's have a formal request in Submitted.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Re: Allow Username Changes

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Concise description:
  • Allow users to change their username once per year

Specifics/Details:
  • The old username would still be displayed on their profile and could still be searched

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Many have asked for this feature in the past, and I'm sure many more would take advantage of this feature if it were offered. I know this issue is at least in the back of the minds of the admins, but let's have a formal request in Submitted.

I really see no serious reason why this shouldn't be implemented. The argument that "someone who is really good could change their name and be playing the unsuspecting with it" doesn't particularly hold water, since really...their rank won't reflect how good they are in that situation?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 pm

The thing I liked best is the ability to change your name with purchase of premium (at a maximum of one change per year).

I guess an argument against it is that the name change would throw people off and lack would have extra work to do, though isn't it possible to just replace the string "Army of GOD" with whatever my changed name would be? (granted, I don't have the most extensive knowledge of programming)

I favor this one, but, like anything in this suggs forum, don't get your hopes up. The "submitted suggestions" have been rotting away.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Army of GOD wrote:I guess an argument against it is that the name change would throw people off and lack would have extra work to do, though isn't it possible to just replace the string "Army of GOD" with whatever my changed name would be? (granted, I don't have the most extensive knowledge of programming)

It's a little trickier than that if you want the old username to be searchable in the forums and Game Finder. Still, username changes are available on enough sites that I imagine the method for implementing it is well-reported.

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:15 am

Army of GOD wrote:The thing I liked best is the ability to change your name with purchase of premium (at a maximum of one change per year).

I guess an argument against it is that the name change would throw people off and lack would have extra work to do, though isn't it possible to just replace the string "Army of GOD" with whatever my changed name would be? (granted, I don't have the most extensive knowledge of programming)

I favor this one, but, like anything in this suggs forum, don't get your hopes up. The "submitted suggestions" have been rotting away.

All's it requires is someone to enter it on the Administrator Control Panel. No coding required. The problem with this that I see, if a lot of people want to do it, should the admins sit down and just spend time changing people's names?

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby blakebowling on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:20 am

Allowing you to change your username: easy. In fact, it's already implemented (but disabled in the ACP).
Allowing you to change your username, and making a way of seeing past username use: difficult.

Essentially, a new database table would have to be created, which would store past usernames and link them by account id. Presumably, no one would be able to use usernames that were previously used either, so that would require even more coding time, not only to check across the currently active usernames, but also against the archive of previous usernames.

Personally, I don't think this would be worth it. I understand someone that would want to change the syntax of their username (eg change blakebowling to Blake Bowling), however I don't think it is worth enough to allow it outright.

EDIT:
@rds: there is a feature that, if enabled, would allow users to change their username directly in the user control panel. However, the only log of them changing their username would be in the ACP user logs, or in user notes (only accessible by mods with that permission).

Again, the hard part would be recording the usernames previously used, and displaying them for all to see.
Private blakebowling

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:41 am

blakebowling wrote:Personally, I don't think this would be worth it. I understand someone that would want to change the syntax of their username (eg change blakebowling to Blake Bowling), however I don't think it is worth enough to allow it outright.

I would want to change my username outright.

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:48 am

blakebowling wrote:Allowing you to change your username: easy. In fact, it's already implemented (but disabled in the ACP).
Allowing you to change your username, and making a way of seeing past username use: difficult.

Essentially, a new database table would have to be created, which would store past usernames and link them by account id. Presumably, no one would be able to use usernames that were previously used either, so that would require even more coding time, not only to check across the currently active usernames, but also against the archive of previous usernames.

Personally, I don't think this would be worth it. I understand someone that would want to change the syntax of their username (eg change blakebowling to Blake Bowling), however I don't think it is worth enough to allow it outright.

EDIT:
@rds: there is a feature that, if enabled, would allow users to change their username directly in the user control panel. However, the only log of them changing their username would be in the ACP user logs, or in user notes (only accessible by mods with that permission).

Again, the hard part would be recording the usernames previously used, and displaying them for all to see.

I couldn't remember. I haven't messed around in an ACP in a couple months. Thanks for the clarification though.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby lord voldemort on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:14 am

its not as easy as that...yes changing it in the forum is simple using acp.
the hard part (and the main reason why it hasnt been done yet) is changing it in every game played. The only was lack can do it currently is by manually going into the database and changing it. This is the process used currently for name changes. And only used when a username is offensive etc.
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:46 am

lord voldemort wrote:its not as easy as that...yes changing it in the forum is simple using acp.
the hard part (and the main reason why it hasnt been done yet) is changing it in every game played. The only was lack can do it currently is by manually going into the database and changing it. This is the process used currently for name changes. And only used when a username is offensive etc.

Then it sounds like an automated process for this would kill two birds.

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 am

I would change my whole username. I'm tired of this one. Most peope have no idea what it means. Something a little less esoteric would be preferable. MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
Major tkr4lf

Postby sniffie on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:51 am

Would everybody get the chance to change their username at the same time? Or would this option be possible when a player has/had his/her account for a year.
The option itself is easy but realizing it is very difficult cause of the behind the scene work.
Might work out in the future.

sniff
Corporal 1st Class sniffie

Postby IcePack on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 am

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before. I haven't been here that long and I remember TFO or someone thundering on and on from above as to why it wouldn't work. Something about how lack set the database up in the beginning and not having forethought, and how it requires copious amounts of time to do so etc.

I agree, cool feature can't be that bad to link games together etc. Another site I play on each game u play can have different name. It's become detective work to find who is who, and slip in a new alias to play anonymously etc.

IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Mr_Adams on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:04 pm

I would change my name to Ragnar Danneskjold.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:05 am

If your old name was still listed then it really wouldn't be changed. It would just make you look indecisive lol. Anyone I saw who changed their name I would be thinking: Identity Crisis?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby greenoaks on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:48 am

i don't like this.
Sergeant greenoaks

Return to Archived Suggestions