Conquer Club

How Should I Ask for a Truce?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

How Should I Ask for a Truce?

Postby redpine on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:16 pm

How do you like to word requests to increase the odds that the targeted player will agree to them? The current situation is that there are two powerful players: Red in Asia and Scandinavia and Blue in the Americas. I'm trying to pull out of Canada since it is next on Blue's to kill list, and Blue is far stronger than I am. What should I say?

"Blue, I'll pull out of Canada if you'll focus on Red, since he is the only other player close to as strong as you are." (flattery/invoke fear against red)

"Blue, I'm pulling out of Canada as fast as I can to deal with Red. Would you mind waiting one more turn to take Canada?" (relying on politeness/mercy)

"Blue, how can I help you hold back Red?" (let him decide)

"Blue, I'm a noob. Could you help me out and make a deal?" (Probably the wrong question)

"..." (say nothing, and hope Red focuses on Blue instead of me...)
Private redpine

Re: How Should I Ask for a Truce?

Postby 72o on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:30 pm

I try not to propose or agree to truces. If I want another player to do something, I usually try to use ridicule or threats. This usually works.

Something like,

"godd@mmit blue why the f*#@ do you keep attacking me when red holds all of asia?"

"red, I can't keep blue under control all on my own. either you start helping, or china will get my whole next cash."

You have to keep in mind that the other player will likely see this in about the same light as proposing a truce against them, but since it's not formally spelled out, by the time red attacks blue or vice versa, you will have been able to prepare for their retaliation.
Sergeant 72o

Postby darth emperor on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 pm

redpine wrote:"Blue, I'm pulling out of Canada as fast as I can to deal with Red. Would you mind waiting one more turn to take Canada?" (relying on politeness/mercy)

I like the idea of this one...but in a different way... "blue im going of canada next turn so you can have it easily"

Like that he'll see that he can get the bonus easily just by taking one rather than X troops...so he'll loose less troops in this case you rely in his common sense and the profit he'll take.

If you want to make truce the best way to ask it,is to tell him how he'll win making it.

EDIT:BTW for best help you should post the game(link or number)
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby jefjef on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Actually just ask for a truce. IN GAME CHAT. Talk strategy after it's accepted IN GAME CHAT. And expect those you truce against in the game to react accordingly.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Jimus Dominus on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:02 pm

by jefjef on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Actually just ask for a truce. IN GAME CHAT. Talk strategy after it's accepted IN GAME CHAT. And expect those you truce against in the game to react accordingly.

copied and pasted
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe you'd expect anyone to go with that. While it IS the mature way to handle it - you're going to find too many immature reactions to doing just that. Too many players crying "foul" and running to game mods over an illegal "team" game in a singles competition.

Just my thought, but it's also been my experience as well that this is what happens, I don't even bother with it any more.
Corporal 1st Class Jimus Dominus

Postby TheBlackCloud on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:15 am

I kinda wish we could have "official" trues and "official" breaks of a truce too.
Corporal 1st Class TheBlackCloud

Postby Pumba on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:31 am

I would say that it's totally stupid to give another person such chance.
Cook Pumba

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 am

I find it odd that you say such a thing when you yourself have not completed a singel game yet..

Pumba wrote:I would say that it's totally stupid to give another person such chance.
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby anonymus on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:30 pm

"How Should I Ask for a Truce?"

with your purse under your arm and your skirt neatly in your hand as you lightly bend your girly knees and smile with your puppy eyes..

version 2. in french
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Colonel anonymus

Postby Karsinogeeni on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Jimus Dominus wrote:I can't believe you'd expect anyone to go with that. While it IS the mature way to handle it - you're going to find too many immature reactions to doing just that. Too many players crying "foul" and running to game mods over an illegal "team" game in a singles competition.

Just my thought, but it's also been my experience as well that this is what happens, I don't even bother with it any more.

Sometimes I have the same feeling. Dealing like that is a mature way, but are always players who haven't received enough love when they were child and they just lash out on you. In a few games I have encountered totally crazy players who suicide anyone for even talking and even players who get their sense of power by stacking their troops to one place on the map - and then get their kicks by playing master of puppets with other players around them by threats. These guys are usually a blib in the game - they never win, but they can throw the game off balance.

I would say: "Blue, I'm pulling out of Canada as fast as I can to deal with Red. Would you mind waiting one more turn to take Canada?" and I would honor my word. However, in these cases you might want to think how to get the two fighting parties in a state where they just go back and forth while you have a chance to recover.
Lieutenant Karsinogeeni

Postby squishyg on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:20 pm

72o wrote:I try not to propose or agree to truces. If I want another player to do something, I usually try to use ridicule or threats. This usually works.

Something like,

"godd@mmit blue why the f*#@ do you keep attacking me when red holds all of asia?"

"red, I can't keep blue under control all on my own. either you start helping, or china will get my whole next cash."

You have to keep in mind that the other player will likely see this in about the same light as proposing a truce against them, but since it's not formally spelled out, by the time red attacks blue or vice versa, you will have been able to prepare for their retaliation.

I've experienced this. It gives me a not so squishy feeling.

I've learned to stop asking for truces and instead position myself as the person people want to align with. It's nicer than smacking someone with their own hand and telling them to stop hitting themself.

xoxo 72o, see you on the battlefield.
Captain squishyg

Postby fiestadelimon on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:29 pm

attack their biggest stack of armies and tell them you'll do it again if they don't side with you.

It's best if you do it via private message.
New Recruit fiestadelimon

Postby squishyg on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:42 am

fiestadelimon wrote:attack their biggest stack of armies and tell them you'll do it again if they don't side with you.

No, wrong, fail!

Arranging a truce via PM is secret diplomacy and is absolutely 100% against the rules.
Captain squishyg

Postby shadistic on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:30 am

Not to mention that you'll leave yourself wide open if you go after their biggest stack.

Unless you're much more powerful than them, in which case you have little to no need of their collaboration.
Major shadistic

Postby fiestadelimon on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:37 am

you guys play your ways I play mine.

Postby Mr Changsha on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:37 am

Be realistic. Consider what blue (in this case) sees as 'his right' and then see if you have any wiggle room.

Also consider the quality of the player. With most good players nothing needs to be said..he'll leave you alone if he realises that taking on you will allow red to gain a decisive advantage.

Yet if you are a new player, he will probably worry that YOU will screw up (and may take you out for safety's sake). In that case, you would be wise to try a little diplomacy, if only so he knows you are not going to blow the game by attacking him and giving it to red.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby fiestadelimon on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:37 pm

for a serious reply, truces have no place in a game of world domination.

Postby KoE_Sirius on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 pm

fiestadelimon wrote:attack their biggest stack of armies and tell them you'll do it again if they don't side with you.

rofl
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby KoE_Sirius on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:12 pm

fiestadelimon wrote:for a serious reply, truces have no place in a game of world domination.

QFT........................Exactly.They should be banned.We never had truces in Hasbro.It was strictly against the rules.
A good player can see who needs to be attacked and who needs to be left alone.
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby J.On.The.Spot21 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:31 pm

Is breaking a truce against the rules or just bad play warranting a bad rating?
Private 1st Class J.On.The.Spot21

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:03 am

J.On.The.Spot21 wrote:Is breaking a truce against the rules or just bad play warranting a bad rating?

Bad rating. Truces (making or breaking) aren't an official rule. But for those who say that truces aren't part of "world domination" - you're being unrealistic. Nor were truces against the rules in the original Hasbro, tho Hasbro's changed its rules from time to time as the years pass.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby darkangelsguy205 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:46 am

yeah dont make a truce it will never end good
Sergeant darkangelsguy205

Postby Dauntless07 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Truces are good, how else are you going to take out a player who's grown too strong? By fighting another player? GET REAL; unless of course you can finish that player off to take his spoils.

As for asking about a truce, I like your idea of making him come up with something.

You: Red is quite powerful
Him: Yup
You: I don't even want Canada, fighting over this continent means nothing to me.
Him: maybe you could pull out to fight red.
You: Hey, good idea! (lol, idiot)
Captain Dauntless07

Postby teakkurtski on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:31 pm

DON'T! Asking for a truce is a desperate cry for help. According to the rules it can only be proposed in open game chat. By doing this you acknowledge your own weakness and inability to win on your own. Most likely you are wimpy and have no friends. A weak alliance with a random person over the internet is the closest thing to a buddy you have ever had. Admit to yourself you have no hope and simply surrender! NOW!

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?
Corporal 1st Class teakkurtski

Postby jefjef on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:35 pm

teakkurtski wrote:DON'T! Asking for a truce is a desperate cry for help. According to the rules it can only be proposed in open game chat. By doing this you acknowledge your own weakness and inability to win on your own. Most likely you are wimpy and have no friends. A weak alliance with a random person over the internet is the closest thing to a buddy you have ever had. Admit to yourself you have no hope and simply surrender! NOW!

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

Wanna truce?
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion