Conquer Club

TeamCC Badge Design Competition

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Members of Conquer Club,

The time has come for a revamp of the badges that TeamCC use to identify certain members of the team. Since the current badges were released in February 2008, there has been many a shift and change within the team. That being so, it is high time we got some new badges for TeamCC to wear with pride! Who better to ask to design these new badges, than our numerous creative community members...(We know you're out there :)).

Competition Details
  • The task is to design 1 badge template that can be used to make multiple badges for TeamCC.
  • Your entry needs to be able to be edited in Photoshop, there is no need to supply the photoshop file (.psd) upon entering, however the winning entry will be asked to supply the file.
  • The design of the badge is completely up to you, from background to texture, font, colours, you can even include an icon of some sort on your badge design.
  • The new badges will be uniform (ie there will not be different graphics for each area). The winning entry will have its text edited to make the several new badges needed.
  • Once you have completed your entry, post it in the Badge Competition Forum as a new topic. This is so you can get feedback from the community during the competition, and so you can make adjustments if needed, and make the best entry you possibly can.
  • The competition begins today Wednesday the 24th of March and will run until 11:59pm (CST) on Monday the 12th of April (Any entries posted after 11:59pm may not be considered). After which there will be a 1 week period of voting amongst the Administrators. The winner will be asked to provide the Photoshop file for their design and in return will receive a Special Contribution Medal for their hard work and effort.
  • You may design more than one badge, if you decide to do so you may start a new topic for each design, or you may use one topic to display all your designs.
  • You may choose to work with someone else to design a badge, however only one Special Contribution Medal will be awarded for the winning entry.
Badge Requirements
  1. Your badge should be within these size restrictions: 90px wide x 20px high ---> 100px wide x 20px high.
  2. It is encouraged that you provide examples of how your badge would look like with longer titles such as: Operations Manager, Chief Moderator etc.
  3. In order to win your entry must be alterable in Photoshop as previously mentioned.
Current and Old Badges for Inspiration
show

Good Luck everyone! We look forward to see what you all come up with!
Captain samuelc812

Re: TeamCC Badge Design Competition

Postby a.sub on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:57 pm

will do!
Cadet a.sub

Postby FoxMists on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Interesting... I am nearly tempted to make one :P

Good luck to those who enter :D
Private 1st Class FoxMists

Postby fumandomuerte on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Will have to enter in order to get that Special Contribution Medal :D
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby killerpit4e on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:57 pm

First Page FTW
Private 1st Class killerpit4e

Postby jricart on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Just posted my entry.

Feedback will be appreciated!
Lieutenant jricart

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Is there any way for non-photoshop users to participate?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby jricart on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:47 pm

natty_dread wrote:Is there any way for non-photoshop users to participate?

I was thinking the same, since fonts in photoshop came out really bad at that size!

It is possible to enlarge the size a bit, because there is not much to do since you lose details at that size.
Lieutenant jricart

Postby samuelc812 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:18 pm

natty_dread wrote:Is there any way for non-photoshop users to participate?

There are Free 30-day Trials of Adobe Photoshop CS4 available on the Adobe website for those who do not have Photoshop. The software available to us to edit things, is Photoshop so we're asking everyone who is making badge designs to use photoshop. Since there are free trials available i doubt it should be too difficult for anyone to participate.

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby john9blue on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:27 pm

GIMP can write PSD files, and it is free software.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Sorry, but I like my own software. I have nothing against photoshop, but I feel I wouldn't be doing my best work if I had to learn a whole new software to do it.

Why do you need to access the layered images anyway? Can't I just supply you the background and the text in separate 32-bit png files?

Postby samuelc812 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:46 pm

john9blue wrote:GIMP can write PSD files, and it is free software.

If GIMP can write PSD files then i see no problem with that, as long as you have the PSD file for your entry then no worries. As long as your entry's text is alterable in photoshop, then no worries.

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:04 pm

As long as your entry's text is alterable in photoshop, then no worries.

So if I provide the background & text as separate png files (which you can load into photoshop easily) it would be ok?

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:08 pm

natty_dread wrote:Why do you need to access the layered images anyway? Can't I just supply you the background and the text in separate 32-bit png files?

I suppose it makes sense to have the file if a new Team CC department is created and the creator of the other tags is not available to provide an updated image.

natty_dread wrote:So if I provide the background & text as separate png files (which you can load into photoshop easily) it would be ok?

Sure, I don't see a problem with that. However, you can easily save and modify .psd files with GIMP as John pointed out. To the best of my recollection, Photoshop can open layered .xcf files anyway.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:15 pm

As long as it is possible for me (because I will be the one doing the changing of text from time to time) to alter the text in Photoshop then I don't mind what software you use to create them. I only have access to Photoshop, so as long as whatever format you submit can be opened and manipulated in that then you should be fine.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby john9blue on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:21 pm

If anyone has a GIMP file they want tested in Photoshop, or wants me to convert it from XCF to PSD, send it to me and I'll show you the GIF as it appears in Photoshop, and send you the PSD file. Limited time offer!
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby a.sub on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Last edited by a.sub on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet a.sub

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:32 pm

john9blue wrote:If anyone has a GIMP file they want tested in Photoshop, or wants me to convert it from XCF to PSD, send it to me and I'll show you the GIF as it appears in Photoshop, and send you the PSD file. Limited time offer!

Okay, here's a 3 layer .xcf file - http://rs533.rapidshare.com/files/368584406/XCF.xcf
And here's the same image but as a .gif - http://rs484.rapidshare.com/files/368584690/GIF.gif
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby john9blue on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Okay, here's a 3 layer .xcf file - http://rs533.rapidshare.com/files/368584406/XCF.xcf
And here's the same image but as a .gif - http://rs484.rapidshare.com/files/368584690/GIF.gif

The GIF is animated and GIMP can't save PSD files as animations. But the badges won't be animated either so that's likely not a problem. Or can the badges be animated?
Captain john9blue

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:57 pm

*cough* The Newsletter people should get badges too *cough*

:D
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby jpcloet on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:As long as it is possible for me (because I will be the one doing the changing of text from time to time) to alter the text in Photoshop then I don't mind what software you use to create them. I only have access to Photoshop, so as long as whatever format you submit can be opened and manipulated in that then you should be fine.

GIMP is free.....

http://www.gimp.org/
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby MrBenn on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:As long as it is possible for me (because I will be the one doing the changing of text from time to time) to alter the text in Photoshop then I don't mind what software you use to create them. I only have access to Photoshop, so as long as whatever format you submit can be opened and manipulated in that then you should be fine.

If people use non-standard typefaces, then I expect they'll either need to make sure it's one that OP (or whoever) has installed, or they should provide a link to a free download (assuming that nobody's actually going to pay). Many fonts/typefaces come with restrictions on distribution (I'm not too sure whether PS embeds fonts within the PSD file)...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 am

Entries are now closed for the Badge Competition, thanks for all the great entries. :)

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby fumandomuerte on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:30 am

Ahhh totally forgot this competition. Good luck to all the entries
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby samuelc812 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 am

We have a winner check it out here --> New TeamCC Badge!

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Return to Announcement Archives