Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Zombie Invasion!

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Zombieland- Version 1.2

Postby MarshalNey on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Top Dog wrote: ...I always liked in the map "Space" how the wormhole and warp gate systems were kind of like a side bonus that connected the map. I like the idea of the safe zones, w/ a bonus... maybe make a "manhole system" acting just like the warp gate/wormhole systems in Space...

...It's kind of a ripoff of space's gameplay but that would be just one small aspect of zombieland. Lemme know if you like the idea marshal...

I do like it. In fact, I vaguely toyed with a less-developed idea when I was doing my original concept sketch.

The thing is... my map is reaching a saturation point. Maybe 00iconn is right, this really should be a sequence of 2 or 3 maps. Anyway, every new 'feature' of the map must be documented in the legend somewhere. When I go to the small version, players will need a microscope to read the instructions as it is.

There's also an additional problem. 'Warp gates' as a gameplay feature are directly in conflict with my core idea of 'Zombie gauntlets'. What's the point of wading through zombie territories when you can just skip over all of them?

Soooo, if I did implement a 'manhole system', it wouldn't really be a set of warp points, I'm thinking... probably just a group of territories that lead to an inset of a underground zombie gauntlet. In other words, it'd be an alternate set of paths to the streets, but you'd still have to run through zombies.

Overall I dunno, I have to think about it. There's certainly a fair amount of "wasted" space in this map. However, I already feel like it's too busy, so maybe cramming more into the map isn't a good idea.

It could be great, though. ;)
Captain MarshalNey

Postby b00kw0rm on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:11 am

Quick question... Are the zombie territories in the entrances to some buildings currently counted as part of that building for bonus purposes? If so, it would be impossible to collect their bonuses, as they would revert to neutral before you could collect the bonus.
My Tournaments:
Age of Conquerors [WINNER: br4nd0n2002]
Team Clash [WINNERS: bfunny27 & DBandit70]
Sibling Rivalry [ONGOING]
Private b00kw0rm

Postby natty dread on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 am

Obviously they are not, then.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Memnon on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:42 am

Time for my 3 cents again.

GreysouIe wrote:Something that would be fun is if the zombies could win. Maybe I'm just an old b-movie fan, but if the zombies would have a possible win it would add a little flavor.

While you can't have the neutrals actually take over at this point ol'Marshal my boy - what about a turn limit to represent this. Not sure if CC programming can support the idea, but what about

- If no team has won by turn ** - the game ends in a draw and the Zombies prevail.... :twisted: you have all died due to your inaction.:twisted: -

@Bookworm - I'm not sure on the fact that zombie terts are considered part of the building, but there is one point you have wrong. The bonuses are calculated before zombie neutrals revert (this according to an earlier post by Marshal I believe), therefore you could take a set of "bonuses" cash in extra troops, and loose them to zombies all in the same turn.

GreysouIe wrote:Overall I like the idea, my only thoughts is that the map is a little generic in terms of being like a box. It's sort of like a rubix cube side so you have 8 factions with everyone going for the middle.
Anyway, keep on fiddling. I think you have a good idea here.

Not sure I agree, but Marshal you seemed to slightly, so what if you took parts of the map and .... twisted? it so that you had crooked streets. I have 0 paint and photoshoppy type skills - lets take the rubics example. It would be like taking the rubics and breaking it so that instead of the bricks all being even, they'd look more like steps. Then your streets would end up looking more like zig-zags instead of straight lines.

[] []
[]

But squish the bottom box up half way .... am I coming across; or do I sound like some mental patient?

That's all for now
Memnon
Private Memnon

Postby natty dread on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 am

what about a turn limit to represent this.

impossible.

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:51 pm

b00kw0rm wrote:Quick question... Are the zombie territories in the entrances to some buildings currently counted as part of that building for bonus purposes? If so, it would be impossible to collect their bonuses, as they would revert to neutral before you could collect the bonus.

Memnon wrote:I'm not sure on the fact that zombie terts are considered part of the building, but there is one point you have wrong. The bonuses are calculated before zombie neutrals revert (this according to an earlier post by Marshal I believe), therefore you could take a set of "bonuses" cash in extra troops, and loose them to zombies all in the same turn.

Actually, in my original post on this topic (in another thread, long, long ago) I proposed using killer neutrals as an integral part of the bonus areas. That way, the zombies would always be munching.

Unfortunately, the CC code doesn't work that way. Killer neutrals cannot be a part of a bonus. Soooo, don't believe my earlier fevered visions, M-non :oops:

Anyway, Bookworm, you've got a valid concern there. That's why I put a message in italics under the Bonus Regions title in the legend that says that Zombie Zones are not a part of any bonus region. I can understand why you might have missed it, there's a lot of footnotes on this thing right now.
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Top Dog on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:11 pm

natty_dread wrote:
what about a turn limit to represent this.

impossible.

and really gay...
1 army left to destroy... oh, now it's a tie...

I like the idea of keeping the box design but I think it might look good with some "twisting" too... not changing the gameplay just making the map look a bit less symmetrical...
But that would require a complete remake of the map, and if marshal decided to do this I wouldn't expect it soon...

Other than that... I have one question: Why is this not moved to the next step by now??? Re-send the form, send the guy a pm... If we move this thing to the next step I bet we'll get some more attention meaning more ideas and perspectives...
Nice work so far, waaay better than I could've done with my attention span
High Score: 1384 w/ 42% games won
Private 1st Class Top Dog

Postby natty dread on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:24 am

Why is this not moved to the next step by now??? Re-send the form, send the guy a pm... If we move this thing to the next step I bet we'll get some more attention meaning more ideas and perspectives...

MrBenn is a busy guy you know... He takes care of 2 foundry forums and other official duties.

A lot of the foundry process is patience. You need nerves of steel, actually.

Just wait a few days, I'm sure your map will be moved shortly.

Postby Top Dog on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:33 am

natty_dread wrote:
Why is this not moved to the next step by now??? Re-send the form, send the guy a pm... If we move this thing to the next step I bet we'll get some more attention meaning more ideas and perspectives...

MrBenn is a busy guy you know... He takes care of 2 foundry forums and other official duties.

A lot of the foundry process is patience. You need nerves of steel, actually.

Just wait a few days, I'm sure your map will be moved shortly.
\

I didn't mean to be complaining about mr. benn so much... just saying the map easily is ready for the next step, whatever that is (I think gameplay...?)
High Score: 1384 w/ 42% games won
Private 1st Class Top Dog

Postby GreysouIe on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:26 am

Actually something that would be fun is to see this map moved to beta just to play it. It looks more than playable. It's not like things are set in stone in beta. Not to sound bad on a map, but the first time I wandered into a Doodleworld map I looked... stood back... looked. Figured somebody was kidding me.
Sergeant GreysouIe

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Not much is left to get this moved forward, just one small edit:

- Change the name of the Tacticians to the Tackticians, because that looks so much more badass.[/imtotallyjokingdonttakemeseriously]
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Why not TaCktixians? :)

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:09 pm

natty_dread wrote:Why not TaCktixians? :)

Because it looks retarded, unfortunately.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Aww... don't be so hard on yourself :D ;)

Postby MarshalNey on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:55 pm

TaCktiX wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Why not TaCktixians? :)

Because it looks retarded, unfortunately.

heee :lol:

btw, I know everyone I haven't posted an update in awhile, been finishing up a 'real-life' project; but I've been slowly making graphical "improvements" to the map that should be out by the middle of next week.
Captain MarshalNey

Postby natty dread on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:51 am

And now you get to make gameplay improvements, conrgats :)

Postby Memnon on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:54 am

Want update!!

Need update!!

What's the holdup? :lol:

Duffy
Private Memnon

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Memnon wrote:Want update!!

Need update!!

What's the holdup? :lol:

Duffy

I think Marshalney is wrapping up some RL stuff and then he needs to get back to me about how copyright and ownership is going to go for this map. Other than that, nothing is holding this map back.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm

I just got word bacl last night... Top Dog is fine with me holding the copyright. I'll keep his name on as a contributor since this was originally his idea; hopefully he can help me a bit with the graphics workload as well.

And yes, M-non, I promised an update in "the middle of the week". I'll probably just put out what I have and let people give their opinions, since it's going so slowly. Mostly cosmetic stuff, but there are some planned territory changes as well.
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:48 am

MarshalNey wrote:I just got word bacl last night... Top Dog is fine with me holding the copyright. I'll keep his name on as a contributor since this was originally his idea; hopefully he can help me a bit with the graphics workload as well.

And yes, M-non, I promised an update in "the middle of the week". I'll probably just put out what I have and let people give their opinions, since it's going so slowly. Mostly cosmetic stuff, but there are some planned territory changes as well.

And that's pretty much what I've been waiting to hear. I'm looking forward to the continued development of this map!
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby b00kw0rm on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Just realized this finally got moved. It's way better than a lot of the maps in final forge, so I'm glad this is moving along.
My Tournaments:
Private b00kw0rm

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:58 pm

b00kw0rm wrote:Just realized this finally got moved. It's way better than a lot of the maps in final forge, so I'm glad this is moving along.

I hope you're not talking about my maps :-s
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:
b00kw0rm wrote:Just realized this finally got moved. It's way better than a lot of the maps in final forge, so I'm glad this is moving along.

I hope he's not talking about my maps :|

Postby b00kw0rm on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:51 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:

I hope he's not talking about my maps :|

Not talking about either of your maps. :)

If I gave any other hints though I might get hunted down... so no more hints. :-$
My Tournaments:
Private b00kw0rm

Re: Zombie Invasion- Version 2.0

Postby MarshalNey on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bookworm... although in all honesty I know this map needs a graphical makeover.

Anyway, I've posted an "update", albeit incomplete. But my time is short and my pace is slow, so I figured I'd better put it out there and see what everyone thinks.

Changes:
1) Added perspective to the indoor walls
2) Added some crazy-looking shadows inside of the buildings... not sure if it's a good thing yet. There are still 3 buildings where I've done nothing (except dim the color), so you all can compare and let me know. The Mall and Bank aren't done yet, btw.
3) Added 3 new territories to the center region and renamed it the Redoubt. Also made one of the territories- "Supplies"- open deployment and renamed it "Supply Depot".
4) Added some graphics to the center region, and sharpened up the helicopters.
5) Many minor graphical tweaks and fiddling.

Thanks Helix, Natty, Tactix and everyone for the votes of confidence and support- let the gameplay discussions begin!

P.S. I hope the suspense didn't kill you M-non? ;)
Captain MarshalNey

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box