Conquer Club

Knife nuttt Pic Thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Knife nuttt Pic Thread

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Was reading another thread. Looks like there are a few other people that are like me.. WOOHOOO

I have collected knives and swords and the odd and end weapon from around the globe. Will take pics and share them for the knife people.

Please do the same!

couple things about my knives.

I use them. Like a lot.

I have a few old collectibles I keep on the wall that I dont use. But for the most part I hike and camp and rockclimb like a fiend. When I am at a knife show, I will not buy a knife unless It can have a purpose in my life. Thus these knives will have a lot of wear. I polish the hell out of a few, but you will still see some ugly signs.

The other thing is, some of these knives (the knife astute will notice) have only one ugly purpose. So don't judge me. I went through a total of 4 months intense close weapon training in my military days so I do believe in them for the ole stab and run when/if someone attacks me.

Ill start with ROS arms.
I am kind of a steel guy.

South Ural steel is the best in my opinion. Sorry germany and japan steel dudes.

Ros, Hand made. Heat treated to get a rockwell hardness of near 60... Almnost like a ceremic blade! The polish like a mofo too and hold an edgee...umm yeah!

This is the Companion 2.. Smallish knife. It has a birtch bark ringed handle, gets stickier as you sweat. I strap it onto my climbing harness.

Ros Arm Wolfhound
13 inches, nicely curved for functionality.

-----

Btw guys, these knives are still undervalued. For a handmade knife of this quality I can give you the name of one of like 40 dealers in the US and you can get one for under 100 bucks.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Re: Knife nuttt Pic Thread

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:59 pm

This is made in the same region as russia. Great knives as well. Called Kizlyar.

I think they are half handmade. Half machine. So not technically a handmade knife. They have a good reputation in russia and europe as a strong knife

This is the Biker 1
Bone handle... yes, russian boar bone. And surprisingly Ideal. Black blade. I use it is an all around utility knife.

This is a folding knife btw. about 5 1/2 inch blade. Nice heavy knife.
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Lets go Damascus now...

a few things
1) Im not sure If I believe the hype and that the price is worth it.
2) They are pretty
3) I have used the hell out of each of these- mainly household carpentry car work and some rope splice/design projects... the puma knife seems to rust easy but tough, the little boker is a warrior so far.

The Boker Magnum. The screw on the side came loose, they replaced it with a new knife no questions within 3 weeks.. Im a Boker fan now. Boker USA looks like a solid company.

That is a little rust you see. The thing is, I KNOW how to take care of knives. The rust on this Puma tec is a problem though. I don't know a lot about puma tec, It is probably one of the many chinese damascus companies. Im ok with that. It seems tough. It keeps an edge. Sometimes Chinese sweatshop machine line stuff has quality at a good price though. I got this for 45$ on sell and I would recommend it.
I dont like synthetic handles, this is one. And its ok actually. It sure as hell doesnt slip. I dont love it though.

Ok so, Im not sold on damascus, Ive got a hunch its just a friggin method of selling knives at a higher price. I lived in asia for a while and there the knife ppl will not touch the stuff. So I dunno.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 pm

Sir, knives won't fair you very well in either the Zombie or Computer apocalypse, my friend. Sir.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Sir, knives won't fair you very well in either the Zombie or Computer apocalypse, my friend. Sir.

Jerking off to cartoons every night doesn't really do a lot of good either buddy.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:39 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Sir, knives won't fair you very well in either the Zombie or Computer apocalypse, my friend. Sir.

Jerking off to cartoons every night doesn't really do a lot of good either buddy.

Sir, I get where you're coming from. Sir.

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby b.k. barunt on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:Lets go Damascus now...

a few things
1) Im not sure If I believe the hype and that the price is worth it.
2) They are pretty
3) I have used the hell out of each of these- mainly household carpentry car work and some rope splice/design projects... the puma knife seems to rust easy but tough, the little boker is a warrior so far.

The Boker Magnum. The screw on the side came loose, they replaced it with a new knife no questions within 3 weeks.. Im a Boker fan now. Boker USA looks like a solid company.

That is a little rust you see. The thing is, I KNOW how to take care of knives. The rust on this Puma tec is a problem though. I don't know a lot about puma tec, It is probably one of the many chinese damascus companies. Im ok with that. It seems tough. It keeps an edge. Sometimes Chinese sweatshop machine line stuff has quality at a good price though. I got this for 45$ on sell and I would recommend it.
I dont like synthetic handles, this is one. And its ok actually. It sure as hell doesnt slip. I dont love it though.

Ok so, Im not sold on damascus, Ive got a hunch its just a friggin method of selling knives at a higher price. I lived in asia for a while and there the knife ppl will not touch the stuff. So I dunno.

Damascus steel is pretty. End of story.

I'm into steel that holds the best edge. Chinese steel is shit. I won't even sharpen a knife of Chinese steel unless someone provides their own stone to sharpen it on - i've fucked up a couple good diamond stones on that pissant Chinese shit.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby dangreco on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks for the pics man! I'll try to take some sometime! Gotta love that Damascus!
Cook dangreco

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Im still not sold on it man... I actually try to abuse the Dam. knivesI have to see what they do. The boker one cost a good penny... the little puma tec on was cheap. So far though, neither have knicked, and I like to cut all sorts of stuff with a knife. I used the puma as a chisel with a hammer behind it not long ago and really banged the hell out of it for 45 mins, and it really didnt move the point like I thought it would.

I have a lot of others, if this thread takes off Ill post those pics.. I have a goood ole american lakota that a good genius buddy that worked for me in iowa made for me froma blank and it might be the toughest.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby b.k. barunt on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 pm

If you want to make your own blade, O-2 is the grade of tool steel that you want. You'll have to go to a foundry to have it tempered once you fashion the blade but it's worth the trouble. It's not cheap though. A blank for a bowie sized blade will run you about 200 dollars. Worth every penny.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:53 pm

b.k. barunt wrote:If you want to make your own blade, O-2 is the grade of tool steel that you want. You'll have to go to a foundry to have it tempered once you fashion the blade but it's worth the trouble. It's not cheap though. A blank for a bowie sized blade will run you about 200 dollars. Worth every penny.

Honibaz

Ive got a knife an ole ozark dude made out of a horse file.. Ill post it soon, its big, its mean, its tough... I love it.,
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 am

I've got my good old benchmade. Didn't do any modifications, so I'll just post a generic picture of it.

I opted for the regular metal blade. Nice little compact utility knife.
Captain safariguy5

Postby 2dimes on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:10 am

Ok koolnewt, to be fair it was a pain to find and I knew about it.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks ya Great White Hoser :D

I have redirected my post - Do we have any kinfe fans / collectors out there? My favorite knifes ever made were the limited production Westmark 701, 702 and 703 series made by Western back in the 70's (I think they made another run of them after Coleman bought them out too....). Sweetest handling knife ever made with the nicest design and gnarliest tool steel........

Second fave knife is the Buck 124....no longer make them but very cool. Got one as a gift from my brother when I was 12....been my carry knife for hunting ever since

"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby b.k. barunt on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Nice blade there. The drop point Bowie is the best blade design in the world - something Americans can be proud of. I made one with a rosewood and ivory handle which a number of people asked to buy from me. I should've sold it, as i lost in when the house burned down. Also lost a first edition benchmade sidewinder in the same fire.

All i have now are a Benchmade Bali Song (can't get one now for less than $250), a Puma switchblade and a modified K-Bar. I still have an 0-2 blank for a Bowie blade though. I pulled it out of the ashes of my house and any temper will be gone, but i'll have to have it tempered anyway when i make the blade.

Sorry for the lack of pics, but don't know how to do pics and get them on the PC.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby The Bison King on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Wow you aren't Dead. I sort of assumed that you died in an explosion or something.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:22 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby bedub1 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 pm

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I need a knife. i'd like to take it backpacking,camping,hiking. So I want it to be small and light. But still big enough to chop down a tree or ward off a cougar. It would be useful if it could start fires, and cut rope, and clean fish/game....oh, and if it's got built in gps and a little lady that offers blowies i'll take 100. Otherwise I just want the 1.

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good all around knife for me?
Colonel bedub1

Postby jefjef on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 pm

I highly recommend for all around hard outdoor/camping work a Cold Steel kukri. One hell of a work knife. Some of the best steel in the world.

Another knife that is rock solid and strong is actually a bayonet. You can't go wrong having a good used German WWII K98 bayonet. Good ole German steel. :D

My favorite pocket/utility pocket knife is a Winchester lock blade with pocket clip and partially serrated blade. It rocks!
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:29 pm

bedub1 wrote:I was actually thinking about this the other day. I need a knife. i'd like to take it backpacking,camping,hiking. So I want it to be small and light. But still big enough to chop down a tree or ward off a cougar. It would be useful if it could start fires, and cut rope, and clean fish/game....oh, and if it's got built in gps and a little lady that offers blowies i'll take 100. Otherwise I just want the 1.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby b.k. barunt on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:35 pm

bedub1 wrote:I was actually thinking about this the other day. I need a knife. i'd like to take it backpacking,camping,hiking. So I want it to be small and light. But still big enough to chop down a tree or ward off a cougar. It would be useful if it could start fires, and cut rope, and clean fish/game....oh, and if it's got built in gps and a little lady that offers blowies i'll take 100. Otherwise I just want the 1.

Your best bet is a standard K-Bar. You can probably find one for $75 or so - still the best all around knife by far for the price. I bought my son one for his 12th birthday.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby b.k. barunt on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:38 pm

jefjef wrote:I highly recommend for all around hard outdoor/camping work a Cold Steel kukri. One hell of a work knife. Some of the best steel in the world.

Another knife that is rock solid and strong is actually a bayonet. You can't go wrong having a good used German WWII K98 bayonet. Good ole German steel. :D

My favorite pocket/utility pocket knife is a Winchester lock blade with pocket clip and partially serrated blade. It rocks!

The Kukri is what the Hmong tribesmen used in Viet Nam. I watched one hit a dime on a tree 5 times in a row from at least 30 feet away. Some badass little slanty eyed mofos there.

Problem with the Kukris in Nam was that they were made out of Chinese steel. The ones you have pictured there though look like American or German made so they'd have a lot better steel.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Cold Steel I think is the name of the manufacturer of those Kukris. It should be stamped on the bottom of the blade. You can get them from BudK, they should run around $40 or so. I've never used one.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby b.k. barunt on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Cold Steel I think is the name of the manufacturer of those Kukris. It should be stamped on the bottom of the blade. You can get them from BudK, they should run around $40 or so. I've never used one.

Not an easy knife to use. It's great for chopping but for just about anything else i'd much prefer the Bowie or Arkansas Toothpick.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby jefjef on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:42 pm

b.k. barunt wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Cold Steel I think is the name of the manufacturer of those Kukris. It should be stamped on the bottom of the blade. You can get them from BudK, they should run around $40 or so. I've never used one.

Not an easy knife to use. It's great for chopping but for just about anything else i'd much prefer the Bowie or Arkansas Toothpick.

Honibaz

Cold Steel is South African. Very high grade steel and affordable. The kukri is much more versatile than just for chopping. Heck you can even use it as a shovel. Very strong edge holding well made knife with nice balance. They also make an excellent selection of machetes.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,