[Abandoned] - Gallipoli

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Gallipoli

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Ok, Anzac Day is Apr. 25 and Cairns has retired. I asked him if I could pick up on Gallipoli where he left off and he said yes, presuming a few conditions. First, keep the gameplay as close as possible to his ideas, which I think were about spot on. He did his research well and I hope to be as faithful to the actual battle as his map was. The second was that the graphics remain as unchanged as possible. This sketch doesn't show it, but I'm going to steer the graphics in an homage to Cairns once the competition ends and if this map wins (which judging by my distinguished competitors it's going to be a tough match!)

Here's the link to the original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=242&t=73475&start=0

Without further ado, here's the map:

V3

Click image to enlarge.

show
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Re: April Competition: Gallipoli

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:06 pm

This has been tried already.. It is best to leave this project alone until Cairns decides to return and finish it one day.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Bruceswar wrote:This has been tried already.. It is best to leave this project alone until Cairns decides to return and finish it one day.

That's a lousy attitude... Nothing great would ever be accomplished if people just thought "this has been tried already and it didn't work, so let's not even try"...

I say this has enormous potential to be a great map, so let's give it a shot.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Bruceswar wrote:This has been tried already..

...and the project was dropped because i was awaiting an xml update, that's all. However, now that i am retiring, i have given permission for IH to work on this, and i wish him all the very best.

It is best to leave this project alone until Cairns decides to return and finish it one day.

Bruseswar...i don't think i will be coming back to finish it, so let's give IH all the encouragement,eh!? please.

For IH, that's a good start considering you only had a short period to work on this...given that all the files couldn't be adapted.
Good luck with it, and my only other consideration is that the top of the legend with the outline of the Australian War Memeorial and that rising sun should be included please, as that is also a part of the Anzac tradition, and timing of much of this battle landings.
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:27 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:This has been tried already..

...and the project was dropped because i was awaiting an xml update, that's all. However, now that i am retiring, i have given permission for IH to work on this, and i wish him all the very best.

It is best to leave this project alone until Cairns decides to return and finish it one day.

Bruseswar...i don't think i will be coming back to finish it, so let's give IH all the encouragement,eh!? please.

For IH, that's a good start considering you only had a short period to work on this...given that all the files couldn't be adapted.
Good luck with it, and my only other consideration is that the top of the legend with the outline of the Australian War Memeorial and that rising sun should be included please, as that is also a part of the Anzac tradition, and timing of much of this battle landings.

Thanks for the support CairnsWK, I hope to do the map justice. I will make the addition of the Australian War Memorial at the top of the legend. To be honest, I just threw it together as quick and simple as possible cause I didn't want to break the 'sketch' rule.

@Bruceswar: I hope I can get your support for this map. I hope to make it as close to Cairn's version as possible while still resolving some of the problems.
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 pm

This was an incredible battle in WWI ... I hope its WWI you are talking about or ill be embarrassed. I believe the retreat is still being taught as a piece of doctrine at westpoint and other military courses/colleges.

I would really really like to play this map. I hope it doesnt get to tough and it dies out.

There is a high point if I remember right that NZ'ers or aussies captured very briefly but If I remember right the story alone of just that part was epic.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Ok, first off congrats to all the participants in the April contest. There's some definite gems.

Secondly, I ought to deal pursuing this map rather than putting it off as I have been lately.

At the end of Cairns version: I intend to keep everything as close to Cairn's version as possible. From what I can tell the only major problem facing the gameplay of the map was the battleships not being able to decay until neutral. This is still a problem.

How I propose to resolve it: The best option that I can think of was to create another territory which will serves as a commanding ship for the bombarding battleships. All active battleships will border the commanding ship. The commanding ship can bombard the active ships.

How it fits in the history: The French and British suffered some command problems and disjointedness. Rather than the commanding ship attacking its own ships, this will act more like a commanding officer relieving a ship captain from his post.

As Cairns pointed out, the Turks didn't have the power to fire back at the Allied ships and for that reason such an option will not be considered.

I'll have an image illustrating my thoughts soon.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby MarshalNey on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:52 pm

I think the BB's are going to be a key point of debate in terms of gameplay. I'm not sure that I like the solution for bombarding all of the battleships, IHelix, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the specfics. In any case, the 2-troop decay is a pretty radical feature for territories that can be assigned randomly, if I'm reading the map correctly. Some poor schmuck could end up with 3 or 4 BB's and lose most of his starting troops in a round or two.

I'm not necessarily against the 2-troop decay or the 'command ship' idea, but I get a sense that the battleships are the most imbalanced feature right now in terms of gameplay.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, 'BS' isn't the conventional abbreviation for battleship. 'BB' (don't ask me why) is used in all of the literature I've read. Although, really, even HMS would work I think. BS... well, it seems a little immature but I giggle when I read it.
Captain MarshalNey

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:16 am

ON the original version, each one of those Battleships was to be assigned as a starting position for each player...up to 8 of course. I hope IH sticks with this. ;)
Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:44 am

cairnswk wrote:ON the original version, each one of those Battleships was to be assigned as a starting position for each player...up to 8 of course. I hope IH sticks with this. ;)

Correct, I will be sticking with that. I should have mentioned it before.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: April Competition: Gallipoli p.1 6/25

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:32 pm

So... no territory can assault the battleships? So if you lose your battleship there's no way to get it back?

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:34 am

Basically, yeah.

But since the victory condition is taking the land territories, losing you're battleship won't lose you the game. I mean, the Turks didn't have squat for navy at the time and they won at Gallipoli, so it seems realistic to me.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:18 am

Hmm, yeah, it might be an interesting twist.

The instructions about the forts could be worder a bit better, it seems a bit ambiguous to me. I had to think for a while before I figured it out...

Also, where exactly is the left border of the Dardanelles sea range, ie. can F5 bombard L5, L4, L3? L2 even?

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

You'd be looking for the light blue border which is hidden between the various mines and ships... I've got to find a way to clear that bit out as well and clarify the instructions.
Cook Industrial Helix

Next

Return to Recycling Box