Conquer Club

The Tournament Database [Announcement 3/4]

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The Tournament Database [Announcement 3/4]

Postby Night Strike on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Tournament Database

The crowning jewel of this series of announcements is the new Tournament Database. Even with the great work by Gilligan and others, the Tournament Hall of Fame started by Optimus Prime in 2008 has become too much to update manually. As a solution, our friendly web turtle implemented a brand new system for organizing our tournaments, with a built in feature for automatically granting medals. The database now reads tournaments on a per-tournament basis (as opposed to a per-organizer basis in our previous system.), so virtually everything has changed: from how we grant privileges to how you are recognized for your tournament wins and completions. Here is how the new system will work:

1. An organizer will post their tournament in the Create/Join a Tournament forum to begin recruiting players.
  2. Approximately once a day, the Create/Join Director will peruse the forum to find any newly announced tournaments.
  3. Once the new tournaments are verified to be in compliance with the minimum requirements, they will be added to the Tournament Database as an Open Tournament and have a Type Label attached to the tournament.
  4. Being classified as an Open tournament provides players the opportunity to search for tournaments they wish to participate in based on the applied Label or by a specific organizer without having to look through all the tournament threads.
  5. Once your tournament is filled, mark it as [Full] and a Director will move it to the Ongoing forum. They will also change the tournament status to Ongoing in the database, which will automatically grant you tournament privileges to make your games. You no longer have to PM an organizer when your tournament is ready to start!
  6. When your tournament has finished, you will announce the tournament winner(s) and update the thread title to get it noticed by a Director. It will then be moved to the Completed forum, relabeled in the Tournament Database, and the Winners will be recognized within the Database. All medals will be awarded automatically, meaning you should get your medals within days, not weeks!

By listing the tournaments under this format, one click on a tournament title will let you easily see who organized the tournament as well as who won it. Within the database, you may quickly search to see all the tournaments by your favorite organizer or which tournaments your clan mates have won. You can narrow your searches to include those tournaments currently recruiting players, currently ongoing (to quickly find the tournaments you're in), or ones that have been finished. You will also for the first time be able to see which tournaments were abandoned, so hopefully this will provide some incentive for organizers to finish out their tournaments.

Tournament Director Task Distribution

Because of the large changes brought about by the Tournament Database, we have updated our Tournament Director Task Distribution List. The largest change is the addition of the role of Create/Join Director, currently filled by The Fuzzy Pengui. This Director will be in charge of verifying that each new tournament meets the minimum requirements for privileges as well as granting any exceptions to those requirements. ALL exceptions will go through this organizer, who will then grant the exception, deny it, or ask another Director for assistance. A record will be kept in the Tournament Directors forum of all exception requests for review by the Head Tournament Director for consistency and cases of appeals. By going through one Director for all exceptions, there will hopefully be more consistency in the decision making process as well as faster decisions. Other tasks in the list may become shuffled as we continue to adjust to the new roles without the large Hall of Fame updated weighing us down, so be sure to check it when you need assistance.

If there are any errors in your tournaments within the database, please post them in this thread. We'll get to them eventually, but we're all wanting a semi-break from the nearly continuous data entry and updating we've done over the past month. Do NOT send us PMs requesting updates to your old tournaments. Those PMs will just be deleted.

~Night Strike, Head Tournament Director
Major Night Strike

Re: The Tournament Database [Announcement 3/4]

Postby Ace Rimmer on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 pm

Beautiful, guys!

Jake
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby darth emperor on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:03 pm

well i dont know what type of error it is... but it puts that katy has won a tournament without playing any game at all,when the real winner is katya
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Dako on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Just awesome.

So long awaited!
Colonel Dako

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Great work. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby danryan on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:25 pm

This is awesome, the best thing to happen to CC in a long time. Really nice update guys! =D>
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby PaulusH on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:32 pm

That Tournament Tab (database) is looking very good!

Nice job Night. Also thanks to the people that helped to get it in CC.

It puts tournaments on a higher level.
Major PaulusH

Postby denominator on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:53 pm

This is absolutely brilliant. I am astounded at how far CC has gone lately to improve the Tournaments, and tip my cap to you. Bravo!
Lieutenant denominator

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:56 pm

Love it. Great job. =D>
Major drunkmonkey

Postby psychobkrazy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 pm

one word,

WOW
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
:D :D :D :D :D
PM me with "Tournament Invite List" in the Subject to get on my Invite List.
Highest Rank: 3070 Image Brigadier - #70 (page 1) - 61% Won - 01/02/2011
The Sigatar Lounge
Sergeant 1st Class psychobkrazy

Postby naxus on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Logged on today, saw the new Tournaments button and was like
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks guys
Haggis_McMutton wrote:2. Anyone else find it kind of funny that naxus is NK'd right after insisting that we're all paranoid?
Corporal 1st Class naxus

Postby amazzony on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Wonderful job and thank you so much to all the TDs and Lack for putting such effort into improving tournaments! =D>
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby jrh_cardinal on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm

naxus wrote:Logged on today, saw the new Tournaments button and was like
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks guys

amazzony wrote:Wonderful job and thank you so much to all the TDs and Lack for putting such effort into improving tournaments! =D>
psychobkrazy wrote:one word,

WOW
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
:D :D :D :D :D
I second all of these, I mean, how could you not LOVE it?
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:56 pm

Amazing...

Thanks so much guys.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:27 pm

It bloody hurts to say this, but I am so damned impressed with you NS.

I still haven't forgotten what you said though... :roll:
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Twill on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Once again I have to say...
=D>

Going from Strength to Strength guys!
Retired.
Please don't PM me about forum stuff any more.

Essential forum poster viewing:
Posting, and You! and How to behave on an internet forum...on the internet
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Twill wrote:Once again I have to say...
=D>

Going from Strength to Strength guys!

Twill... Is that you? How are you haven't seen you for ages, how are you? Didn't realise you were still around. :)

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby barterer2002 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:46 pm

A moment of feedback. I updated my Championship Series 100th today about 3:30 and went out to burn some stuff that needed burning. Came back in at 8 and found that it had filled, mostly with newcomers. I would have to say that its very successful in getting players to tournaments, at least I found it so today.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Night Strike on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 pm

An era has come to an end........I've officially Archived the old Tournament Hall of Fame.
Major Night Strike

Postby Lindax on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Night Strike wrote:An era has come to an end........I've officially Archived the old Tournament Hall of Fame.

=D> =D>
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby mattattam on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Great job guys! This is sooooo much better. Easier to get to, look through, and handle. AWESOME change.

-Matt
Major mattattam

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:15 pm

I have a question... What will the name of the tournys be? Whatever is in the title, except for the spot labeled [Full]?
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby Night Strike on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:17 pm

iamkoolerthanu wrote:I have a question... What will the name of the tournys be? Whatever is in the title, except for the spot labeled [Full]?

That's the plan, which is why we want the correct title in the thread title. With this new system, we can actually update tournament titles at any time, so it can be changed if needed.
Major Night Strike

Postby jrh_cardinal on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:37 pm

will all of the joining tourneys eventually be added to the new list? At first I thought I was just being punished, but actually most of the joining tourneys are not on the new list.
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:50 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:will all of the joining tourneys eventually be added to the new list? At first I thought I was just being punished, but actually most of the joining tourneys are not on the new list.

Lindax wrote:
HighlanderAttack wrote:When you first click on the new tournaments tab it has a listing of available tourneys.

There are 19 available, yet the create/join forum page has at least 35(I did not count them).

I also created a new tourney today.

How do new tourneys get on that tab/page under the new tourney tab?

Thanks

HA, we only added tournaments to the database that were created on or after April 12, the date the new minimum requirements came into effect.

Fuzzi will scan the "Create/Join" forum daily from now on and approve and add new tournaments. This means that it can take a day, or maybe two, before it appears on the list you're talking about and have the "Open Tournament" status.

Hope that answers your question,

Lx
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Next

Return to Tournament Archives