Conquer Club

Japan:Sengoku Jidai v0.21 - pg 2

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Japan:Sengoku Jidai v0.21 - pg 2

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:30 am

Well, I'd like the farmlands (rice paddies?) included in the map somehow. After all, you got to feed your armies. No army moves without food.

I think it can be done without cluttering the map. There are lots of those manpower icons, you could change some to farm icons.

Ps. I love that you included castles. They were a very big part of japanese warfare.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby skepticCS on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 am

natty_dread wrote:Well, I'd like the farmlands (rice paddies?) included in the map somehow. After all, you got to feed your armies. No army moves without food.

I think it can be done without cluttering the map. There are lots of those manpower icons, you could change some to farm icons.

Ps. I love that you included castles. They were a very big part of japanese warfare.

Hmmm. So don't add farms, just split the current manpower territories with farms. That could work.
........................................................................................................Map in Development:
Image Image
Sergeant 1st Class skepticCS

Postby ghirrindin on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Part of me thinks that adding farms would be somewhat unnecessary. After all, the site has roughly 150ish maps that don't take feeding an army into consideration. However, given the theme of the map and the added dimension of role-playing as a feudal lord, I think agriculture could really set this map apart. Perhaps have the bonus as something everyone can easily get, and have it be a fairly significant bonus (auto-deploy?) key to success on the map. This feature would be especially fun in instances of chained fortifications, as you would learn a harsh lesson in keeping your supply lines open.
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby skepticCS on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Agriculture is, indeed, making an entrance into the upcoming version of the map. I'm going to try out what natty suggested and simply replace half of my manpower territories with agricultural territories and make the bonuses result from pairs of the two rather than cumulative control of one or the other. The manpower + mines combo will remain the same, but the manpower requirement to gain the shogun's hall and victory condition will be reduced. In this upcoming version of I will also be including European technology in the form of Galleons of the coast of certain locations of the map to simulate the important role the introduction of teppos (guns) had on Japanese warfare of the period. Right now, I am planning on attaching the European ships to the north and south coast territories of the central region (where the receiving end of the one way ship attacks land). Holding one of these ships grants the controller +3. However, holding both will negate the bonus entirely, simulating the social and political ramifications of embracing the other European import, Christianity, too enthusiastically. Both of these effects have some basis in history, but, most importantly, I think they make sense gameplay-wise by forcing players to choose between breaking an opponent's bonus and losing their own. I've thought about actually making it -1(to 3) armies for holding both as a real disincentive to break that bonus, but if I do that I would have to provide a way for players to at least neutralize the European ships, and I'm not certain I would like to do that. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Ghirrindin, your supply chain idea sounds really interesting. I know it's not what you meant, but reading your post made me envision a bonus structure based up control of contiguous territories as a prerequisite for gaining certain bonuses. I do not imagine that would be XML-able, but it would certainly be a unique feature and lead to some exciting gameplay. Imagine bringing the most powerful daimyo's march on the capital to it's knees be leading one risky assault behind his lines, forcing him to redeploy and counter your efforts.

Of course, I like completely agree with your perspective in its intended sense (as I understand it) as well. Right now, the bulk of every player's initial forces will be autodeployed on their castle(s). As they take more bonuses, they will gain a more flexible deployment, but I still envision that +6 autodeploy on every castle to be a continually important source of power requiring a careful management of "supply lines". You don't want to gun for the capital too quick, leaving an enemy in your half of the island who can sneak behind and cut off your fort routes of even knock out one of your castles. That's my goal, as I've said: push players into slower consolidation before making any hasty moves.

Just so you all know, I have not posted any updates because I am currently making significant graphical enhancements to the map before posting up the new version. They will still be extremely rudimentary in graphics foundry terms I'm sure, but at least it will be easier on the eyes.
Last edited by skepticCS on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
........................................................................................................Map in Development:
Image Image

Postby ghirrindin on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:58 pm

On second thought, I'm not sure just how much food they were transporting across the countryside in feudal Japan. I get the feeling that food was probably pillaged from farms as armies advanced into enemy territory. I'm sure you know the historical contours of the period better than I do, so you should do what you see fit. But I still think the idea of implementing food production into the map has potential.
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby skepticCS on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:14 am

Well, I'm sure there was plenty of pillaging going on, but supply lines, as with any war anywhere, are extremely important. I'm thinking the simple effect of castle autodeploys and fortifications will be enough to simulate that factor though.
Image Image

Postby skepticCS on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 am

Just a quick update: I've been making graphical changes to the map and incorporated new elements such as farmland and European traders. Things have been very busy in my personal life at the moment so this work has been pretty sporadic, though I think this coming week will see a full-fledged update here on the forums.
Image Image

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:43 am

Neat. Can't wait to see the next version...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby iancanton on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:32 pm

is there a later image available, even if part-finished? in particular, with region names, so that it's easier to refer to areas, instead of the second castle from right on the north coast or something similar.

i suggest that u cut off the 20% of the map on the right, which shows us nothing useful, and resize the land area to make it bigger, giving more room for the symbols.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby skepticCS on Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:32 am

There is a newer version of the map that I have been sitting on for a while now waiting for the time to touch up a few things before submitting it. Place names will be added probably in the version after next, once the actual province boundaries and bonus locations are solidified. I'm leaving extra space around the map because there are a ton of elements that need to be explained and I'd rather start with enough area to do that with, though I suspect I may have to increase the map size as you point out due to the large numbers of symbols. If you'd like to see a far more graphical version of the map with place names and all that, head over to the bottom of the main post where I have the old versions. Look at version .01.

Sorry for the inactivity lately. I've been looking for a new job and, now that I've found one, have been hustling to finish all the things I started at the old job before I leave. Combine that with a ton of responsibilities during my personal time and it leaves very little space for map design. But I should be getting back to this one soon.
Image Image

Postby iancanton on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:46 pm

don't worry about updates being slow. just go at ur own pace, though try to make sure that we can see some progress at least once a month to avoid the map being placed in the recycle bin till u're able to work it.

u don't need to have final names for ur regions, as long as u have names of some sort so that we can make meaningful gameplay comments. an example might be a1, a2, b1, b2 and so on.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 am

[Moved]

Alas! It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas