Conquer Club

Ok... what does the word racist mean these days?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Ok... what does the word racist mean these days?

Postby NightWolf on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:03 pm

I hear this term used on almost everyone on TV these days that people don't like. Surely racist does not mean discriminating someone for the color they are anymore. If you would ask me, the new meaning of the word racist is basically someone "who disagrees with Obama's policy". Ok, would wants to challenge that? Or better, tell me what it really means!
Sergeant 1st Class NightWolf

Re: Ok... what does the word racist mean these days?

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 pm

NightWolf wrote:I hear this term used on almost everyone on TV these days that people don't like. Surely racist does not mean discriminating someone for the color they are anymore. If you would ask me, the new meaning of the word racist is basically someone "who disagrees with Obama's policy". Ok, would wants to challenge that? Or better, tell me what it really means!

No- I absolutely agree. The definition has been changed to mean "Obama opponent". Color no longer matters, only where you stand in relation to the current president when it comes to the term "racist". Not that he's actually black, of course. The further away from the Obama you stand, the less racist you get on the right, and the more racist you get on the left. Unless he's not black, then I'm not sure where the race issue stands. And if the right isn't predominantly white, then that makes it difficult.

Wait- I've changed my mind. I'll take up your challenge. Not the "or better" part, of course, but the "If you would ask me..."

I would say that I wouldn't ask you.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Nobunaga on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm

... It's a good question, unrelated to Obama.

... Hating Chinese people can now be deemed racist without much argument, even should one love Japanese and Koreans.

... And what's up with Jews? That's a religion, mostly white but not entirely.

... See what I'm saying?

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Hating Jews is anti-Semitism.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Woodruff on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 pm

NightWolf wrote:I hear this term used on almost everyone on TV these days that people don't like. Surely racist does not mean discriminating someone for the color they are anymore. If you would ask me, the new meaning of the word racist is basically someone "who disagrees with Obama's policy". Ok, would wants to challenge that? Or better, tell me what it really means!

You're a retard.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby GabonX on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:15 pm

The word means what it has always meant..

Perhaps a better question, what is the word today?
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:24 am

Woodruff wrote:

You're a retard.

whoops totes sorry everyone, logged in under the wrong name
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby jimboston on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:15 am

It is supposed to mean a person who believes they are better than another based soley on race... and/or believes it is OK to discriminate based soley on race.

It still says that in the dictionary.

It still means that.

In the USA It has also come to mean anyone who disagree's with liberal ideolgy that now favors "minorities". This used to be called reverse-dicrimination... however if you try to point this out you are called racist.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby Woodruff on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:47 am

SultanOfSurreal wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

You're a retard.

whoops totes sorry everyone, logged in under the wrong name

<laughing out loud> Indeed.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:48 am

jimboston wrote:It is supposed to mean a person who believes they are better than another based soley on race... and/or believes it is OK to discriminate based soley on race.

It still means that.

In the USA It has also come to mean anyone who disagree's with liberal ideolgy that now favors "minorities". This used to be called reverse-dicrimination... however if you try to point this out you are called racist.

I have never been called a racist for this, and I disagree quite often with some portions of liberal ideology.

Postby 72o on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:02 am

Woodruff wrote:
jimboston wrote:It is supposed to mean a person who believes they are better than another based soley on race... and/or believes it is OK to discriminate based soley on race.

It still means that.

I have never been called a racist for this, and I disagree quite often with some portions of liberal ideology.

Racist.
Sergeant 72o

Postby Woodruff on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am

72o wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

It still means that.

Racist.

Damn.

Postby Doc_Brown on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 am

A definition for racism that has been popularized in some parts of the educational community is:
The systematic subordination of members of targeted racial groups who have relatively little social power in the United States (Blacks, Latino/as, Native Americans, and Asians), by the members of the agent racial group who have relatively more social power (Whites). This subordination is supported by the actions of the individuals, cultural norms and values, and the institutional structures and practices of society.

In other words, only white people are racist. Just to be clear, you can find this definition on a number of different university websites. It received a lot of attention when the Seattle Public School system published the definition on their website. (They are in the process of revamping their site due to the negative response. The link goes to the old version.) You can find the definition on the websites of UC-Davis, Texas A&M University, and Indiana University. From what I can find, I think this definition was formulated back in the 1980s under the heading of "Social Justice."
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Woodruff on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:10 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:A definition for racism that has been popularized in some parts of the educational community is:
The systematic subordination of members of targeted racial groups who have relatively little social power in the United States (Blacks, Latino/as, Native Americans, and Asians), by the members of the agent racial group who have relatively more social power (Whites). This subordination is supported by the actions of the individuals, cultural norms and values, and the institutional structures and practices of society.

In other words, only white people are racist. Just to be clear, you can find this definition on a number of different university websites. It received a lot of attention when the Seattle Public School system published the definition on their website. (They are in the process of revamping their site due to the negative response. The link goes to the old version.) You can find the definition on the websites of UC-Davis, Texas A&M University, and Indiana University. From what I can find, I think this definition was formulated back in the 1980s under the heading of "Social Justice."

While I would agree that this FORM of racism (people in power vs. people not in power) is MORE concerning due to the increased impact those in power can have over those not in power, I would absolutely disagree with it as the SOLE FORM of racism. It doesn't even make basic sense.

Postby tzor on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Woodruff wrote:
NightWolf wrote:Or better, tell me what it really means!

You're a retard.

So Woodruff; your saying that Racist means "You're a retard."

Fascinating. :roll:

Ironically this seems to make the most sense; I am starting to understand the mind of the progressive elitist liberal more and more. It's still a strange place.
Cadet tzor

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm not sure I understand exactly what everyne means by "racist". It depends on who's using the word it seems to me, and also upon their own opinions on the topic of "race".
I've never quite gotten my head around what US people mean by their various employments of the terms "liberal" or "conservative", they seem to vary widley depending on whether one thinks they're a good idea or not.

But I have absolutely no idea what a bloody "progressive elitist liberal" is. Apparently they have been spotted in cc though.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:38 pm

If you discriminate everyone regardless of race, are you a racist?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Doc_Brown on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:42 pm

natty_dread wrote:If you discriminate everyone regardless of race, are you a racist?

Yes, but only if you're white! :lol:
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Woodruff on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:41 pm

tzor wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
NightWolf wrote:Or better, tell me what it really means!

You're a retard.

So Woodruff; your saying that Racist means "You're a retard."

You also would appear to be a retard.

tzor wrote:Fascinating. :roll:
Ironically this seems to make the most sense; I am starting to understand the mind of the progressive elitist liberal more and more. It's still a strange place.

If you believe me to be a "progressive elitist liberal", you're definitely not paying attention. Then again, reading comprehension does not appear to be your strong suit.

jonesthecurl wrote:But I have absolutely no idea what a bloody "progressive elitist liberal" is. Apparently they have been spotted in cc though.

Don't mind him...he's just trying to string together three words that he considers to be insults.

Postby jay_a2j on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:44 pm

racism: (1) a belief that another race different from your own is somehow inferior to yours.(2) Any organization that keeps a specific race of people down, ie. Social Services, Affirmative Action, the KKK (3) Anyone who disagrees with Obama's policies (4) the Tea Party (5)Republicans (6) Conservatives

Yes we can!

but maybe we shouldn't have.....
THE DEBATE IS OVER...
PLAYER57832 wrote:Too many of those who claim they don't believe global warming are really "end-timer" Christians.

JESUS SAVES!!!
Lieutenant jay_a2j

Postby Nobunaga on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:43 pm

... Which of the following can be considered a race?

1. Nigerians
2. Vietnamese
3. Italians
4. Jews
5. Gypsies
6. Dwarfs (aka little people)

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:57 pm

bah you had an argument till you brought in obama... now you sound like a racist.

Racism is dead, till I see threads like this, then I realize I that there are still many insecure white men.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby jay_a2j on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:54 am

Nobunaga wrote:... Which of the following can be considered a race?

1. Nigerians
2. Vietnamese
3. Italians
4. Jews
5. Gypsies

Jews
THE DEBATE IS OVER...
PLAYER57832 wrote:Too many of those who claim they don't believe global warming are really "end-timer" Christians.

JESUS SAVES!!!
Lieutenant jay_a2j

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:29 am

jay_a2j wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:... Which of the following can be considered a race?

1. Nigerians
2. Vietnamese
3. Italians
4. Jews
5. Gypsies

Jews

... African Jews (black by all appearences) and the majority in Tel Aviv and elsewhere in Israel (white by all appearences) are the same race?

... Not so sure...

Postby jay_a2j on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:40 pm

I believe Jewish is the only race that is also a religion. Noting the difference between being Jewish by birth and "converting" to the Jewish faith.
THE DEBATE IS OVER...

JESUS SAVES!!!
Lieutenant jay_a2j

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,