Conquer Club

Maps Puzzle Competition [Winners: Tripitaka & Serbia]

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: [Competition] Maps Puzzle - Round 3 [Maps & Scoreboard]

Postby ender516 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:36 pm

SirSebstar wrote:damm.. 40 is tricky...

ender516 wrote:Not if you have been following the map as closely I have. I knew that one right away.
EDIT: Whoops, that's an entirely different number. Ignore me.

Now that I've completed my entry, I will say that you're absolutely right, 40 was tricky (and I should have recognized it much sooner).
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

[Competition] Maps Puzzle - Round 4 [Maps & Scoreboard]

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:32 pm

I've updated the scoreboard.

Then, as usually, here below the small images used for the 4th Round, for anyone who wants to try (not officially) to find the right maps. :)
The answers are in the spoilers.

Which maps do the images belong to?

Round 4 - Played

31.Image_32.Image_33.Image_34.Image_35.Image_36.Image_37.Image_38.Image_39.Image_40.Image

show

Enjoy It! ;)

Nobodies
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: [Competition] Maps Puzzle - Round 4 [Maps & Scoreboard]

Postby SirSebstar on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:43 pm

OMG i had extreme warming #40 wrong.. i am soo ou of the competition.. crap
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:53 pm

SirSebstar wrote:OMG i had extreme warming #40 wrong.. i am soo ou of the competition.. crap

no, if you consider that the value for each correct answer increase every turn. ;)
Obviously you should hope that your opponents will give at least a wrong answer in the next rounds....

Postby SirSebstar on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

i know it. but its highly unlikely... i know i would not have sent it in if i did not know i could not correct mistakes, it was 3 in the morning and i looked at maps for over an hour. i just wanted to go to bed
Major SirSebstar

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 pm

If you've got Firefox and have it set to save your windows and tabs, it'll keep the form filled out for you. I was stumped on Map 35 and 40 for a long time and let them sit for a bit before coming back with fresh eyes. I shut down FF at least a half-dozen times before pressing Submit.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby dowian2 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Oddly, #40 was the first one I got; I recognized it right away. #35 drove me crazy though.
Major dowian2

Postby mattattam on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:58 am

#36 was the tough one for me last round. Round 3 was the hardest so far. I had 3 maps I had difficulty finding... Look forward to coming rounds. I don't know if it will get much harder unless you make the images we see smaller or more vague. I'm sure that' your plan ;)
Major mattattam

Postby fumandomuerte on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:58 pm

That US Senate map drove me crazy... And it was an easy one lol.
Extreme Global Warming took me 20 minutes... I don't play those maps very often.
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:06 pm

I think there needs to be a time limit on at least the last round. Eventually we can all stare at the images long enough to figure out what goes where.

I am liking the later rounds. Interesting how they can pick those 50x50 images and almost have no idea where they come from.
Major WidowMakers

Postby fumandomuerte on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:39 pm

dang, pic. #41 is killing me!
EDIT: Took me an hour to find out the map =P

Nice selection of images on this 5th round btw. Good luck all!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:05 pm

i dont even know where too look for maps that were once playable but are no more, and the quenched once.. any idea's?
Major SirSebstar

Postby fumandomuerte on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:22 pm

SirSebstar wrote:i dont even know where too look for maps that were once playable but are no more, and the quenched once.. any idea's?

Didn't understand that part of the PM by the blue chameleon either.
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby mattattam on Sat May 01, 2010 1:10 am

and also all maps can be used! It means all maps currently available for playing (quenched or beta) , all maps that were available only for a while but that aren't listed on the "browse map" page and finally all maps no more available for playing.

What does this mean? Are you referring to maps that are only taken out for special days like St. Patrick's day. What about quenched maps? Where can we find these?
Major mattattam

Postby SirSebstar on Sat May 01, 2010 5:16 am

are maps 46 and 47 to be found in browse maps http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=browse or maybe map and mapmaker information? http://chipv.freehostia.com/index.php?action=map&map=All

please help me by saying either yes or no, because i dont know what maps else too look at and if they are in there, then i just keep missing them.
I am going crazy right now...all other maps have been found by the browse link
Major SirSebstar

Postby WidowMakers on Sat May 01, 2010 8:01 am

41 and 46 are driving me crazy. I KNOW I should know 46 but cant figure it out.
Major WidowMakers

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat May 01, 2010 8:49 am

SirSebstar wrote:i dont even know where too look for maps that were once playable but are no more, and the quenched once.. any idea's?

fumandomuerte wrote:

Didn't understand that part of the PM by the blue chameleon either.

mattattam wrote:
and also all maps can be used! It means all maps currently available for playing (quenched or beta) , all maps that were available only for a while but that aren't listed on the "browse map" page and finally all maps no more available for playing.

What does this mean? Are you referring to maps that are only taken out for special days like St. Patrick's day. What about quenched maps? Where can we find these?

SirSebstar wrote:are maps 46 and 47 to be found in browse maps http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=browse or maybe map and mapmaker information? http://chipv.freehostia.com/index.php?action=map&map=All

please help me by saying either yes or no, because i dont know what maps else too look at and if they are in there, then i just keep missing them.
I am going crazy right now...all other maps have been found by the browse link

Wow, it looks like i've created a bit of confusion. Let me explain better.
All maps used for this competition can be found on the CC site, I will never ask you to find a map that is no more visible in some way using the CC site.
The images can be found in different ways (here below some examples) :

Using the Browse Maps page, where all quenched (available for live play) and Beta maps are listed.
Using Map and Mapmaker database ( the link is also available in the Foundry ).
Using the Gallery Index, where all maps are listed.
Browsing the Viewing Gallery
Using the game finder page (in which also closed maps are listed)

So, it means all maps currently available for live play, all maps currently in the Beta stage, all maps no longer available that were used for special events (St. Patrick map is a good example) or that were revamped (only if the image can be found using the CC site or using a link posted on the CC site).

Let me know if you need further clarifications ;)

Nobodies

Postby SirSebstar on Sat May 01, 2010 9:23 am

taking a breather helped.
till next week laddies
Major SirSebstar

Postby WidowMakers on Sat May 01, 2010 11:17 am

Well everyone it has been fun. But I can't afford to dedicate more time to this contest. I find that looking over each map for hours to find a specific part is not really a good use of my time.

While I think this contest had good intentions, it really has turned into nothing related to "knowing" maps.
Anyone (even people never at CC) could dedicate enough time to find the maps and answer correctly.

My suggestion if this is to be done again in the future (and I think it should be) is to have a time limit.
If a person only had 10-15 or 20 minutes to answer the 10 images, that would go much further in showing who really knows their maps and who doesn't'

Again good luck to everyone else.

Major WidowMakers

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat May 01, 2010 12:46 pm

This is a really good suggestion WM. I started working on it when you suggested this improvement yesterday, unfortunately I had less than 24 hours, then I need a bit more time. But i'm working on it ;)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat May 01, 2010 1:09 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:This is a really good suggestion WM. I started working on it when you suggested this improvement yesterday, unfortunately I had less than 24 hours, then I need a bit more time. But i'm working on it ;)

hey no rush. Plus not really does not make sense to implement that now since the rules were not setup as such.
Major WidowMakers

Postby mattattam on Sat May 01, 2010 2:09 pm

I have a question about the revamped maps: Does this mean you can take a picture of the map before it was revamped? For example British Isles was revamped. I went to the thread, but I can't find the picture of what it looked like before it was revamped.
Major mattattam

Postby Ffraid on Sat May 01, 2010 3:55 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:This is a really good suggestion WM. I started working on it when you suggested this improvement yesterday, unfortunately I had less than 24 hours, then I need a bit more time. But i'm working on it ;)

hey no rush. Plus not really does not make sense to implement that now since the rules were not setup as such.

Thanks WM. I agree. The game that we all signed up to play stipulated that we would have 48 hours. Honestly, after the first couple of rounds, I was wondering how thenobodies was going to break that massive tie but I think he's done an excellent job of increasing the difficulty with each round (after 2). And, obviously, not everyone can find all the maps given 48 hours, as we have had a few people drop out of first (and I may be one of them this time, I haven't finished yet).

I doubt that anyone would dispute that you, WM, probably know the details of more maps than anyone else since you were involved in the revamp of many of the older maps and have, of course, done many of your own. If there were another game, where people only had a limited amount of time to identify the maps, I wouldn't even enter. This game has been allowing us to study the details of the maps, and has been fun, thus far. Imposing a time limit would make it a completely different game that would be testing a completely different skill set.

I can't really say that I'm happy about the inclusion of older versions of the maps, which may have been revamped before some of us were even on this site. Yeah, maybe some of the older versions are available for viewing in the forum threads, but some aren't. Are we really to troll through pages after pages of posts in all of the threads about Classic, Middle East, Canada, Brazil, British Isles, Indochina, Germany, Montreal, Circus Maximus, Middle Earth/Centerscape/Midgard, Das Schloss, and any others that I might have missed to find out if there is a link to or post of the old map? Tedious and not fun.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby mattattam on Sat May 01, 2010 5:49 pm

I definitely agree with Ffraid. I don't think older versions of revamps should be apart of the map competition. I'm having a difficult time even finding older revamped versions. That shouldn't be a factor in this map competition.
Major mattattam

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat May 01, 2010 7:52 pm

ok,good point guys, we will continue with the 48H. (i'll code it for a future edition, thanks again for the suggestion :) )
About the revamped, i really want you enjoy the competition, so i'm available not to use revamped, if you don't find it a fun choice. O:)

So, for the future rounds, you still have 48H to find the correct maps.
Could be used all maps currently available for live play, all maps currently in the Beta stage, all maps no longer available that were used for special events (e.g: St. Patrick map).
The image of the map is always available and visible on the CC site.

PreviousNext

Return to Newsletter Archives