Conquer Club

Deadly tornado strikes Georgia

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Deadly tornado strikes Georgia

Postby strike wolf on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:15 pm

ENTERPRISE, Ala. (AP) - Administrators at a high school where eight students died in a tornado were warned about severe weather nearly three hours before the twister struck, raising questions Friday about whether classes should have been dismissed earlier.

Residents of the neighborhood surrounding Enterprise High School said they heard warning sirens long before the tornado slammed into the building, crushing the victims in an avalanche of concrete and metal.

"It came real fast, but they had plenty of time to get those kids out because sirens were going off all morning," said Pearl Green, whose 15-year-old niece attends the school and was hit in the head by a flying brick.

But school officials said they had no chance to evacuate earlier because of the approaching severe weather. And others said the carnage would have been greater if students had been outside or on the road when the storm hit.

Gov. Bob Riley defended administrators' actions after a tour of the school.

"I don't know of anything they didn't do," Riley said after stepping out of the collapsed hallway where the students died. "If I had been there, I hope I would have done as well as they did."

The last of the bodies were removed Friday.

"Each one who was brought out, somebody would say, `That was a good kid,'" said Bob Phares, assistant superintendent.

The students were among 20 people killed Thursday in Alabama, Georgia and Missouri by tornadoes contained in a line of thunderstorms that stretched from Minnesota to the Gulf Coast. The storms damaged or destroyed hundreds of homes, toppled trees and knocked down power lines. In Enterprise, a town of 22,000 people, more than 50 people were hurt.

President Bush planned to visit two of the storm-damaged areas Saturday. The destinations were still being worked out Friday with governors in the affected states.

Warning sirens began blaring in Enterprise about 10:30 a.m. Thursday, prompting school officials to order the high school's 1,200 students into interior halls - supposedly the safest part of the building.

Many students left school after the initial warnings, and administrators decided to dismiss classes at 1 p.m., before the worst of the weather was forecast to hit, Phares said.

But with hundreds of students still huddled inside the school, emergency management officials warned that a possible twister was on the way and advised school officials to hold students until 1:30 p.m., Phares said.

"The storm hit about 1:15," he said. A wall in one hall collapsed, and the concrete slab roof fell on the victims.

Brittany Ammons, 18, left school about 10 minutes before the tornado struck. She said students in the halls could hear the sirens, but no one panicked.

"We weren't really worried because we're always hearing sirens for bad weather," Ammons said.

Looking at the remains of their school, Ammons and three classmates wondered whether students should have been sent home after the first warnings were issued. But senior Charles Strickland said the carnage would have been far worse if students were trying to leave school during the storm.

"If they'd let us out, they'd be looking at 50 to 300 dead," Strickland said. He pointed to a parking lot full of students' vehicles that were thrown around by the twister, with some coming to rest against the building.

"Imagine those kids in the parking lot sitting in those cars," English teacher Beverly Thompson said.

Mitch Edwards, spokesman for the Alabama Board of Education, said the state has a plan requiring schools to conduct weather drills and review safety plans. But the decision on whether to close schools is left to superintendents and principals.

"It's a situation where local superintendents and principals are in position to make the best call," Edwards said. "They try to react based on the best information available."

I know for some this might not seem like a big deal but it's rare that we see a powerful tornado strike in Georgia.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby hecter on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:17 pm

What has this forum turned into, a news room?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby s.xkitten on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:18 pm

yes...its the social lounge...new gets tossed in too
Sergeant s.xkitten

Postby hecter on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:19 pm

s.xkitten wrote:yes...its the social lounge...new gets tossed in too

Okay, just checking. I kinda liked it better when it was "SPAM AS MUCH AS YOU CAN" and such but w/e.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby strike wolf on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:28 pm

hecter wrote:What has this forum turned into, a news room?

This story hits close to home. I felt like I needed to post it.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby hecter on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:30 pm

strike wolf wrote:
hecter wrote:What has this forum turned into, a news room?

This story hits close to home. I felt like I needed to post it.

I don't know americain geography. Just Canadian.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby unriggable on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:48 pm

"You know a twister is coming"
"God will save us"
"Ahem - who do you think made that tornado?"
Cook unriggable

Postby Kayla on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:49 pm

lol plz dont tell me god did
Major Kayla

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,