[Abandoned] - Russian Revolution

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Russian Revolution 5/9 p. 1

Postby iancanton on Wed May 12, 2010 4:49 pm

are u thinking of doing it conquest-style, with 8 (or 24) strategic positions to start?

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu May 13, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm thinking 8 strategic starting positions (the commanders) with the remaining territories open to random deployment.

I have a few considerations in mind at the moment:

1) The high population zone... should it start with 4 men on each territory and 3 men on each normal territory (or perhaps 3 High pop, 2 low pop)?
2) The points that a commander attacks: should they start at a low number or perhaps neutral 1 or no difference at all?
3) Should the high population zone also have starting neutrals to make it an even deployment: I bump it up to 24 high population zones and each player gets 3 territories in the high pop zone.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun May 16, 2010 12:04 am

Industrial Helix wrote:I'm thinking 8 strategic starting positions (the commanders) with the remaining territories open to random deployment.

I have a few considerations in mind at the moment:

1) The high population zone... should it start with 4 men on each territory and 3 men on each normal territory (or perhaps 3 High pop, 2 low pop)?

What are the main pros for higher values vs lower values?

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun May 16, 2010 1:28 pm

I think I know what you mean but let me know if this doesnt answer your question.

In the higher population zones, there's more people. Therefore it seems logical to me that they should have more armies to start with. This also serves the purpose of preventing a player from getting a first turn advantage as it makes it difficult to take away a bonus form another person (unless I up the bonus for high pop zones to 4 and give everyone three territories). It also makes the area more dense and more difficult to execute a quick strike early in the game. On the downside, given that a player has so many men in the area, the commanders might lose value, save for Trotsky, and come into play only after the initial battles in the high pop zones have been won.

The advantages of the lower numbers are that it allows for rapid movement in the lower populated areas, true to the military history of the war, and this is especially true if there are only two men on each territory rather than 3. It also gives the commanders outside of the high pop zone a place to build men and counter more central commanders, such as Trotsky or Deniken.
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun May 16, 2010 4:23 pm

From what you've described, I think I'd see myself falling on the lower-value side of support.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby jasnostj on Mon May 17, 2010 7:22 am

I like this, but that shouldn't come as a surprise to you, Comrade!

One small thing: I wouldn't crop Poland and the Baltics in the west. Looks a bit messy.
And I would do the high population territories in a different way than with that orange border, for example a darker shade of brown. Before reading the key I though it had to do with a communist zone of control or something.
But I understand these graphics are only a draft anyway (quite a good-looking draft!).
Private jasnostj

Postby Dako on Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 am

I can help you with proper namings of the cities if you want. I don't know if it matters in GP, but PM me if you want some advices from a Russian CCer.

Cannot say anything on GP yet.
Brigadier Dako

Medals: 115
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (24)
Clan Achievement (20) General Contribution (20)

Postby jasnostj on Mon May 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Looky here, a Russian on CC! Go and have a peek at the Stalingrad map in Final Forge. That thing has a whole bunch of mistakes that I told the mapmaker (the legendary Cairns) about but he won't correct them. Says he doesn't think many Russians visit this site. Prove him wrong!

I saw one here too: Vologda (the city) misspelled "Volgada".
Last edited by jasnostj on Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private jasnostj

Postby Dako on Mon May 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Vologda is the correct name. But Nijny was named Gorky at the tiems of war (we still have the old name on railway tickets tbh).

PS - posted at Stalingrad map :).
Brigadier Dako

Medals: 115
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (24)
Clan Achievement (20) General Contribution (20)

Postby jasnostj on Wed May 19, 2010 9:04 am

Nizhny (with a y) Novgorod ("Lower Newcity") was called Gorky from 1932, so not during the civil war.
Private jasnostj

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed May 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey guys, i appreciate the help with the names. I already PMed Dako about the names and expect I should be getting a list sometime in the future. Just keep posting the revisions here and I'll hit them up with an update when I get the chance... I just wanted you to know I was reading and paying attention ;) Thanks again!
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby theBastard on Wed May 19, 2010 3:29 pm

Helix, what about add High population also to any regions in Ukraina? I think Kiev Oblast, Kharkovskij, maybe Chernigov should have it...
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed May 19, 2010 3:51 pm

A) Please put the latest version of the map in the first post. I almost listed a bunch of things for you to fix that you've already addressed.

B) I think however you plan deployment on the high-population territories you can't prevent the first player from having a dramatic advantage in those areas. This is just a problem that plagues collection bonuses. The usual solution is to have specific neutral-starting territories that unlock the collection bonus (that's what they did in Napoleonic Europe, and Ian and I suggested it for Switzerland). So, for example, start the commanders neutral and only let a player get the high-pop bonus if they hold a commander. Or start the cities neutral and only let players get benefit from high-population territories if they own a city in that or a neighboring territory.

C) There doesn't seem to be a way to reach the British Navy.

D) Please put the railroads in the legend somewhere.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 pm

@ thebastard... In general I agree. But I'm stuck cause Ukraine has its own bonus... I dunno, I need to figure this out. Any suggestions appreciated.

@Evil Dim

1) Damn... sorry about that
2) Good idea... I will try to figure something out for this then.
3) ... Good point.
4) Will do.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby lt_oddball on Tue May 25, 2010 4:00 am

I will like this map.

a) Though I question why the two british invasion troops should be awarded (relatively) high bonustroops.
Their actual numbers were first of all small (non effective fighting/occupation/control forces on territory scale), and secondly they were never renewed or refreshed. So the idea of making those two points an auto- bonus area is a bit un-historical.
Game-map-wise it does fill a need and makes the map interesting.

Maybe you should consider the auto-bonus of the two british forces only effective when some other territory is under the player's control (like "player should control "british admiralty AND 6th battalion to receive +1 bonus" or "player should control BOTH british navy AND 6th battalion to receive +1 on both locations per turn).

b) There are railway lines on the map.
The railways were already a very important asset in those campaigning days.. can't you incorporate some bonus / effect in your map regarding this aspect ?

c)
jasnostj wrote:Looky here, a Russian on CC! Go and have a peek at the Stalingrad map in Final Forge. That thing has a whole bunch of mistakes that I told the mapmaker (the legendary Cairns) about but he won't correct them. Says he doesn't think many Russians visit this site. Prove him wrong!

That had more to do with the very late timing of you and the other russian bloke in the game design process.
Also because many english translated russian names (or Thai, or chinese for that matter) are always disputable.
There is no absolute consistency globally.
At least in this map you are involved early, here you can have a positive effect.
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box