Conquer Club

Improved Army Printing

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Improved Army Printing

Postby pamoa on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Is it possible to have the old font as an option
sorry to say this but the new one isn't an improvement :sick:
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby denominator on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:28 pm

I've got to say, at first I was a really big fan of this change, but as I've played it more I am liking it less and less.

On a pure opinion note, I much preferred the old font to the one we have now. It's simply more legible to my eyes, but it's something that I can get accustomed to.

However, I simply cannot play the larger maps any more.

maasman wrote:I'm having a lot of performance issues now, especially on the hive, that weren't there before. I'm suspecting it's because you put more of the strain on my end and off of the server, but this slow computer can't take it very well and its causing a lot of headaches for me, but I'm not sure what you could do to fix it :cry:

I feel maasman nailed it - the larger maps (HIVE in particular) lag after every action by about 2-5 seconds. While this seems minor, I just played a turn where I conquered over 150 territories on HIVE, and the lag alone meant I sat doing nothing for 750 seconds (12 and a half minutes). This is simply unacceptable. Other large maps, such as World 2.1 and WWII Europe have the same problem in that my computer cannot handle the load on these maps.

It was for this reason that I had to stop using BOB and Map Rank GL (never got into Clickies as I figured they would just slow it down further), and after my first couple of days using just the bare site I got used to it. I find it incredibly amusing how many players on this site simply cannot function without BOB or Clickies, and feel the need to complain about it in the thread when a site update (temporarily) breaks their Addons.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby lackattack on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:45 pm

So what you are saying is the slowness is due to the community scripts and without them the Hive plays fine? Please correct me if I'm wrong :-)
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Qyu on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:53 pm

one idea, maybe silly, maybe not, a mix between old and new solution :

instead of using a huge generate img for showing armies, and instead of using text, you could use many small img in the right color, and for each number of armies : '1 army red', '1 army blue', ' 1 army green', '2 armies red' '3 armies red'. etc...

maybe difficult to create, but you keep the clean feel of img without the need of generate (and download) huge img.
Colonel Qyu

Postby MartijnF on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:16 pm

I like the new font a lot!
Cadet MartijnF

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 pm

barterer2002 wrote:2. Clickable Maps broke as well and was also fixed in the same slots.

CM is completely unresponsive for me... ;)
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Well, to me all maps except the hive actually seem faster. What I like is that when I assault I see the change in armies instantly instead of with a slight delay like it used to be.

As for the hive... yeah, that one seems to lag, even without any addons.

Actually it doesn't just lag when I do stuff, it lags even just scrolling the screen up/down... :?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Herbas on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:57 pm

I don't play huge maps, so the new change is a very nice improvement for me: the new font somehow seems to be a lot clearer and responsiveness is just great!
Colonel Herbas

Postby anonymus on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:10 pm

im on a mac with firefox and after i make one assult or reinforcement or deploy or really anything the buttons become unresponsive and i have to reaload the page.. sometimes even go to "my games" and reenter..
seems to work fine in safari but i have no bob for safari ;/
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Major anonymus

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Awesome, everything seems much quicker now!

Good job, Lack.

I lied, it's twice as slow as before.

Do I really need to buy a better machine to continue enjoying games on this site?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby lackattack on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:25 pm

ManBungalow and anonymus, are you guys using scripts or it is slow with greasemonkety etc. disabled?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Qwert on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 pm

For me old army numbers are much better,these look to much blurr for me.
I just want to know who sugested change of army numbers,because i never see that army numbers been a some kind of problem for players.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:11 pm

qwert wrote:For me old army numbers are much better,these look to much blurr for me.
I just want to know who sugested change of army numbers,because i never see that army numbers been a some kind of problem for players.

The change was not made because army numbers were a problem. It was made to reduce the server load. It is much faster to just send the information of what number is where than to compile a PNG and send the whole thing, every time a player makes a move...

Which brings an interesting point: now that CC is saving server resources by not using PNG:s for the army numbers anymore, can we please have the map images hosted as PNG:s and not as crappy JPG:s? JPG is really not an ideal format for computer graphics like maps that contain lots of small details and pixel art.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby stahrgazer on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 pm

lackattack wrote:ManBungalow and anonymus, are you guys using scripts or it is slow with greasemonkety etc. disabled?

It's slower with greasemonkey, etc. disabled. Interestingly, at times I can almost see the numbers 'roll' as though it was a slot machine. I realize that's some sort of optical illusion, but without using scripts, there is a bit of delay.

Edit: The slowness is on maps other than Hive... I experienced it on Arms Race!, on World2.1, on Rail USA, AoR1 and AoR2, Feudal Epic, WWII Poland, and on Route 66... which is a variety of map sizes and styles. (In short, I had the 'slowed' experience on every map I was on today, and while the slowness fluctuated, it did not seem all that related to map size.)
Last edited by stahrgazer on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby tdans on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:05 pm

why isnt my CM working.. FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lieutenant tdans

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:07 pm

tdans wrote:why isnt my CM working.. FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with it?
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby skillfusniper33 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 pm

I was having a problem with the map randomly refreshing when i went to change each deploy, and lowering the amount of units to deploy. I never lost any, but couldn't change it without having it refresh on me.

But it stopped when i had turned off BOB
Place: 267 Score: 2630
Major skillfusniper33

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Chrome 5.0.375.70, so no userscripts. I have no slowed gameplay, but really really blurred numbers.

Can you tell me if it's supposed to look like this:

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby maasman on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:35 am

lackattack wrote:ManBungalow and anonymus, are you guys using scripts or it is slow with greasemonkety etc. disabled?

I think I'm having the same slow downs, the hive is the worst. I have GM off and I'm not using and scripts that I know of.
Major maasman

Postby denominator on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:43 am

lackattack wrote:So what you are saying is the slowness is due to the community scripts and without them the Hive plays fine? Please correct me if I'm wrong :-)

You're wrong. :)

The OLD site was slower with community scripts on, the new site is slower with them off. I haven't tried turning them back on yet in fear of it slowing down even further.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby skillfusniper33 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 am

the.killing.44 wrote:Chrome 5.0.375.70, so no userscripts. I have no slowed gameplay, but really really blurred numbers.

Nope that is not how it is supposed to look, much better quality.
Place: 267 Score: 2630
Major skillfusniper33

Postby Qwert on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:32 am

The change was not made because army numbers were a problem. It was made to reduce the server load. It is much faster to just send the information of what number is where than to compile a PNG and send the whole thing, every time a player makes a move...

Which brings an interesting point: now that CC is saving server resources by not using PNG:s for the army numbers anymore, can we please have the map images hosted as PNG:s and not as crappy JPG:s? JPG is really not an ideal format for computer graphics like maps that contain lots of small details and pixel art.

I dont know for others maps,but all mine maps are saved in PNG format.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:21 am

qwert wrote:

I dont know for others maps,but all mine maps are saved in PNG format.

They're changed to JPG upon uploading to the site.
skillfusniper33 wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:Chrome 5.0.375.70, so no userscripts. I have no slowed gameplay, but really really blurred numbers.

show

Nope that is not how it is supposed to look, much better quality.

Okay, thanks. Thought I was missing something—the hidden shot looks really good, by the way lack.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby pamoa on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:48 am

pamoa wrote:Is it technically possible to have the old font as an option
sorry to say this but the new one isn't an improvement :sick:
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby morleyjoe on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 am

I've not noticed many of the problems others are having, but have issues now with BOB snapshots not working properly. (I've kept BOB up to date so far) For some previous snapshots it shows completely different armies and numbers, ones that never existed in the game. Also, it messes up the "show color codes" by deleting the letters, and making me have to click twice on the color code option to get them back.
show: My CC
Major morleyjoe

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives