Conquer Club

[GP] [Rules] Eliminate Deferred Troops

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby qeee1 on Thu May 04, 2006 8:20 am

If you miss a turn... you aren't "rewarded", or gaining an advantage. There are rare rare situations where missing a turn is good, but that's usually down to the incompetence of other players than anything else.

If someone misses a turn and they're a new recruit then yeah they'll probably deadbeat. But people should assume that players with 20 odd completed games and high scores aren't deadbeats.

We are trying to promote people to take their turns, its more in the spirit of the game, and makes for a more fun game in general.

What's more fun about never being able to miss a day of checking your games without being severely punished? That's just destructive and causes a clash between real life priorities and CC priorities. We can't all always be online. Also the spirit of the site is that it's for casual players and "hardcore" players. We don't want to frighten away the "casuals".

And as for not joining games when you know you can't play, that doesn't work because:
1. Games sometimes last a lot longer than you think
2. Things come up that we have no control over.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Just a thought...

Postby B Mac Attack on Sat May 20, 2006 2:10 am

Ok, so maybe it's just me, but I don't really like the army multiplier for when a player misses a turn. I think that if you do miss a turn, it's your own fault and you shouldn't be rewarded with those extra armies on your next turn. I hate coming back to a game where someone has missed a turn just to see that their armies have been multiplied by 2 or sometimes 3. Other people's thoughts?
Sergeant 1st Class B Mac Attack

Postby Derwiddle on Sat May 20, 2006 4:12 am

I'd a agree with that. It is really annoying when you're toiling and working on your strategy - then some twerp (lol) who has skipped turns, forcing everyone to wait, suddenly deploys a whole pile of armies!

Besides being annoying, in real life - a commander wouldn't have the option of just sitting back and doing nothing, then deploying a huge army cause he didn't do anything for the past months.

Arg... :roll:
Opportune-Moment
opĀ·porĀ·tune moĀ·ment
n.
A point in time well suited for doing something incredibly stupid.
Private 1st Class Derwiddle

Eliminate Deferred Troops [REJECTED]

Postby B Mac Attack on Mon May 22, 2006 11:57 pm

Concise description:
  • Get rid of "deferred" troops after missing a turn.

Specifics/Details:
  • See above

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • When somebody misses a turn, he/she misses a turn and shouldn't get troops for that. It's really unfair, because it often turns the game in favor of whoever missed a turn.
Last edited by agentcom on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Reason: Edited title and post and created introduction
Sergeant 1st Class B Mac Attack

Postby zip_disk on Tue May 23, 2006 1:15 am

I'll repost this then

pevanelagas wrote:Missing turns is a very useful strategy, for A. staying alive..

B. breaking past Barriers and into continents
C. getting continents

Overall I disagree, its fine the way it is. Discussing your points.

A. I have to assume you're joking here because that's totally wrong, getting no armies is better than getting a minimum of 3?
B & C. Not really true either, basically you could do the same thing by deploying your armies and not attacking.

The only real way you get an advantage is the element of surprise and fielding a large stack. Sudden attacks may seem more powerful but that's only perception-wise mainly by lulling an opponent into a false sense of safety or implying you're weak to convince them not to guard a location (or spend armies attacking). Otherwise the math remains at best the same as deploying and not attacking.

Not deploying though means you're more vulnerable with no way to gain (or regain) territory or armies in the meantime. The army bonuses are also only calculated when you finally play again.
Say you have 12 territories and Oceania for 6 bonus armies a turn. Not playing for 1 turn would yield you 12 armies the next time if noone attacked you during that time period

(4 + 2) * 2 = 12

However if someone came along during this time and took Indonesia from you, you'd only get 6 for the 2 turn period. Even if you had possesion of the territory during the missed turn and would've gotten 6 then if you had deployed.

(3 + 0) * 2 = 6

Plus you lose the chances for a card. In escalating card games this might be a strategy but for Flat Rate card games there's no point, you're only hurting yourself.
Captain zip_disk

Postby Hoff on Tue May 23, 2006 1:43 am

This has been discussed a million times. I dont think you should get the armies you missed back, others do. Nothing is probably going to change, because there is not clean cut majority who favors one view or the other.
Sergeant Hoff

Should you get your men multiplied for missing a turn?

Postby tonywalrus on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:53 pm

This is one of the rules in this game that really annoys me, in fact it is the only rule that annoys me. If you miss a turn you should not get your men multiplied by the rounds you miss. I have waited 7 days on someone who deadbeat for two round only to see him have his men multiplied by three, capture a continent and damage the one I was holding . I know some people view this as a legitimate tactic, to me it is simply gamesmanship. Miss a turn, fine but miss the men as well.
P.S. I have missed turns for various reasons in some of the games I have played, it would not bother me if I had to live by this rule.
Sergeant tonywalrus

Location: Deep below the cold inky darkness of the Bering Sea.

Postby wicked on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:09 pm

As someone who has to miss turns periodically, I love this rule! If you're playing against someone who has missed a turn, you better plan accordingly to defend against their double armies.
Major wicked

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:11 pm

Considering I was stuck in the hopsital for a few days, it was nice to have my armies multiplied!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby wicked on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:20 pm

breaking your arm was obviously just a ploy to get your armies multiplied! :P
Major wicked

Postby Hoff on Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:35 pm

I hate this rule too, you should not get your armies multiplied. But this has been argued about 100 times, so there really is no point anymore
Sergeant Hoff

Postby wicked on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:50 pm

correction. 101.
Major wicked

Postby eye84free on Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:21 pm

its good and its bad....if ur someone who act. missed a turn because of unforseen circ. then its good...but if u do it out of advantage...then its bad...how would u feel if some one did it to u cause....just because ur woooooooppppppen there a$$ and its the only way for them to try and win. thats not fair......
Major eye84free

Postby wacicha on Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:36 pm

play more games and yes wicked i did not get my card in africa i was taking so long contemplating what happenned to your guys that time ran out
Major wacicha

Postby wicked on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:20 pm

Wach, I'm saving those guys for another game, that's why they disappeared ... with this new script Troy wrote, I'm now able to take guys from one game where I may not need them (or about to be killed off b/c I come one frickin man short from taking out Zepy) and place them in another game, as long as they're the same color. Works great - you should try it! Unfortunately, it's a long complicated installation process, similar to the RSS reader. :twisted:
Major wicked

Postby wacicha on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:19 pm

shit rss reader took me almost 2 days to get it right and 1 week to help another player to get it working and that was the easy one sage I'll just keep using the new deployment script troy wrote for game starters.
Major wacicha

awarded for missing turns???

Postby thomasoft on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:33 pm

In a couple of my games, guys have missed there turn, then have come back the next round and recieved their armies from the previous round. I don't think this is fair...why should guys be awarded for missing turns?? Don't you think that if they miss a turn, the game should just go on, they shouldn't recieve extra armies the next round. I'm sorry but this strikes me as odd, and i do not agree on how this is set up now.
Thomasoft
Corporal 1st Class thomasoft

Postby spring1 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:33 am

All in due time, Thomas. To my knowledge, their working on a patch due out...what, sometime in July, Twill?

If you would like more information or just general support for cause, take a trip to the Flame Forums--there's a nice, friendly discussion that, amazingly enough, directly addresses your concerns! lol
"We cannot enter into alliances until we are acquainted with the designs of our neighbors."--Sun Tzu
Lieutenant spring1

Postby N0g on Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:04 am

The sooner the better. I went to the Flamers forum, but I got burned out on the B.S. before I got a chance to find the post you mentioned.

Regardless, I'm in a no-cards game right now where my straight up play managed to get me Europe and Africa and have them decently defended. A few turns of different guys sandbagging for the "bonus" and all of them attacking me, and now I'm pretty much out of the game.

I don't mind all of them attacking me. I would probably do the same if someone else was as strong as I was. But, the missed turn rules force me to make a move and try to take out one of the guys before their third turn or else they will have enough forces to take out one of my flanks--especially if they own Oceania and are getting 15 troops at once every three turns. But to do so, I have to leave one of my other flanks weaker becasue I can't amass enough troops to withstand the other guy's missed turn "bonus".

To me, the rules as they are diminish the point of "playing what you are dealt", which as far as I'm concerned is the fun of the no-cards game.
Lieutenant N0g

Postby Ishiro on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:00 am

I don't think this feature should be removed, but I'd like to see it as an option during game setup to allow recouping missing turns or not.
Corporal 1st Class Ishiro

Postby Ronaldinho on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:27 am

Ishiro wrote:I don't think this feature should be removed, but I'd like to see it as an option during game setup to allow recouping missing turns or not.

Every thing is optios this day? we should just get lack to do a sticky and make a massive poll, then we'll see what happens?
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Lack's already stated that this feature will not be removed. It was suggested, and rejected. See so in the Suggestions Box.

--Andy

Postby Chadmw on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:35 pm

I Posted this the other day. Mu suggestion was instead of it being 3 turns in a row, if you miss three turns the whole game you get kicked out.
Cadet Chadmw

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:38 pm

Also, the suggestion in the above post was rejected under 'Auto-Kick When Missed Turns Aren't Consecutive'

--Andy

Postby Chadmw on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:44 pm

Yeah, I just went and read that.

But do you know why he does not want to implement it. Is it a programming problems, or just an it's my site and I don't wanna :lol:
Cadet Chadmw

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions