Conquer Club

Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Nordic Countries <v.60> p1 [GP,G,X,B] images ready 4 upl

Postby targetman377 on Mon May 24, 2010 11:40 am

i have a question how come Aland is at the bottom of the list if it is alphebtical? i know its a differnt A but it should be with the other a's?
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby VampireM on Mon May 24, 2010 11:46 am

i like this map how it is... i like how u have bigger regions for smaller bonuses.. it makes getting and holding the bonuses that much harder... its pretty fun map.. still learning it as i have only played it twice (got killed in a dub game and currently winning a triple game).. i just thought i would give the map maker props
Colonel VampireM

Postby natty dread on Mon May 24, 2010 12:39 pm

targetman377 wrote:i have a question how come Aland is at the bottom of the list if it is alphebtical? i know its a differnt A but it should be with the other a's?

This is something the mapmaker cannot affect, the game engine decides how the territory names are alphabetized. If you have a problem with it take it up with lackattack...

However the current system is correct: the letter ƅ is not the same as A, it is actually spelled as a long O (like "oo" in the word "door".) It is mainly used in swedish words, but since Finland is officially a bilingual country it is also included in the finnish alphabet. In both swedish and finnish alphabets, the letter ƅ comes after Z. Letters Ƅ and Ɩ come after it, they are also different letters than A and O, although they are spelled differently in swedish and finnish languages.

ManBungalow wrote:Leave the map as it is.

VampireM wrote:i like this map how it is...

I hear you guys... and thanks Vampire.

It seems people like the gameplay as is, so I won't be making any further changes (unless something unexpected comes up). As soon as MrBenn can send the updated images (in the 1st post) to lack, we can get on with quenching this map ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby lt.Futt on Thu May 27, 2010 2:24 am

natty_dread wrote:
lt. Futt wrote:Nordland and Sƶdra Lappland should have common border. The TrĆøndelag - Iceland circle is too tempting for unbalanced players. North Norway bonus is too unavalible to break. Loosen up a bit. I suggest that you withdraw the mountain range a bit north.

If you have a problem with the scandinavian mountain chain I suggest you take it up with the swedish & norwegians. Perhaps you can convince them to demolish a part of those mountains.

It's not the mountain range. It's the map. The map is a representation of the real world. You asked for feed back on the map. Not feed back of the real world.

If there are mountains, there's also infanterist, cavalerists, weapons and Air Force to fight in such environments. Of course there are. Nordic countries have artic winter. Are our forces spesial trained for war in artic winter? There are noone better.

What about the lakes of Finland? Can't see them. What about TĆ„rnedalen? In the real world, is it just one passage in TĆ„rnedalen? Of course there ain't.
Major lt.Futt

Postby natty dread on Thu May 27, 2010 3:12 am

I appreciate the feedback but I'm not going to change the mountain range. I don't see a reason to do so, and most people seem to agree - so far you're the only one pushing for a change in gameplay. Most people I've spoken with want to keep the gameplay as it is now.

If you feel north norway is too hard to conquer (which I disagree with - I'm in a dubs game where I hold iceland, svalbard + north norway and contend for finnish lapland and the guy in south finland is breaking my bonuses constantly... it's easy to hit through north norway all the way to iceland) then perhaps you should try taking north norway for yourself in your next games. See how that goes.

Postby lt.Futt on Thu May 27, 2010 4:55 am

No change without difference from the norm. You're the creator. You're superior. It's your priviledge.
Major lt.Futt

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat May 29, 2010 7:28 pm

I don't know if this is a mistake in the xml or a bug in CC or what, but in a game I'm playing I just noticed that Ostergotland was at the bottom of my drop-down menue for deploying, below places like Vastergotland, which are obviously alphabetically lower. Maybe it has something to do with the umlauts, not sure. Anyways, worth looking in to. Otherwise, cool map!
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby ender516 on Sat May 29, 2010 7:53 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:I don't know if this is a mistake in the xml or a bug in CC or what, but in a game I'm playing I just noticed that Ostergotland was at the bottom of my drop-down menue for deploying, below places like Vastergotland, which are obviously alphabetically lower. Maybe it has something to do with the umlauts, not sure. Anyways, worth looking in to. Otherwise, cool map!

I agree, it is a cool map. With respect to the menu sorting, note this from a few posts back:

natty_dread wrote:
targetman377 wrote:i have a question how come Aland is at the bottom of the list if it is alphebtical? i know its a differnt A but it should be with the other a's?

This is something the mapmaker cannot affect, the game engine decides how the territory names are alphabetized. If you have a problem with it take it up with lackattack...

However the current system is correct: the letter ƅ is not the same as A, it is actually spelled as a long O (like "oo" in the word "door".) It is mainly used in swedish words, but since Finland is officially a bilingual country it is also included in the finnish alphabet. In both swedish and finnish alphabets, the letter ƅ comes after Z. Letters Ƅ and Ɩ come after it, they are also different letters than A and O, although they are spelled differently in swedish and finnish languages.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sun May 30, 2010 8:52 pm

ender516 wrote:
carlpgoodrich wrote:I don't know if this is a mistake in the xml or a bug in CC or what, but in a game I'm playing I just noticed that Ostergotland was at the bottom of my drop-down menue for deploying, below places like Vastergotland, which are obviously alphabetically lower. Maybe it has something to do with the umlauts, not sure. Anyways, worth looking in to. Otherwise, cool map!

I agree, it is a cool map. With respect to the menu sorting, note this from a few posts back:

natty_dread wrote:

Thanks, guess you learn something new every day ;)
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:15 am

Map portal has now been fully updated.

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:41 pm

natty_dread wrote:It seems people like the gameplay as is, so I won't be making any further changes (unless something unexpected comes up). As soon as MrBenn can send the updated images (in the 1st post) to lack, we can get on with quenching this map ;)

Sorry to be a pain; please could you repost the updated link to the end of the thread, with a brief summary of what has changed? As far as I'm concerned I wasn't aware you needed anything updated - although you mention it's a graphical tweak only??

Cheers ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 pm

From the 1st post:

Updated images - upload these please

large: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2039 ... opev60.png
small: http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9930/n ... 0small.png

And yes it's a graphical update only. The sea glow (the glow in the sea that follows the coastline) opacity was lowered as per requests, also the country borders on the minimap were strengthened to allow easier recognition of superboni.

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Benn, have you sent the updates to lack yet?

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:57 pm

natty_dread wrote:Benn, have you sent the updates to lack yet?

Yes; I had a big catch up, and spammed lack with updates for pretty much every map going :lol:
I think he's updated about 1/3 to 1/2 of them now ;)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Cool. :)

Seems like a lot of work though, mapmakers posting updates to threads, you sending them to lack, and lack uploading them on the site... Perhaps the web developer could think of a feature that lets the foundry mods upload the map files themselves, so we wouldn't have to bother lack with every single update.

Even better, what if mapmakers could just send the files themselves, then the foundry mod or lack would just check & approve them and they'd go live...

Postby ender516 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 pm

So, if it's a graphics update only, there is no reason to wait to start a new game, am I right? The gameplay isn't going to change in the middle.

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 am

ender516 wrote:So, if it's a graphics update only, there is no reason to wait to start a new game, am I right? The gameplay isn't going to change in the middle.

Right. No gameplay changes have been made.

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Nordic Countries Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

ImageCongratulations natty_dread, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm

:)

Thank you everyone who helped me to achieve this goal.

Onward to new challenges...

Postby ender516 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Congratulations, natty! =D> I suppose this means that development of Transsib will be stepped up.

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:29 am

ender516 wrote:Congratulations, natty! =D> I suppose this means that development of Transsib will be stepped up.

No, unfortunately. I already have 2 maps in the foundry... Trans-siberian will have to wait a bit longer...

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 am

Congra =D> =D> =D> ts Natty!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:55 am

isaiah40 wrote:Congra =D> =D> =D> ts Natty!!

Thanks. Your help was also valuable in the making of this map. :)

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:50 pm

natty_dread wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Congra =D> =D> =D> ts Natty!!

Thanks. Your help was also valuable in the making of this map. :)

Your welcome, anytime!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:22 am

Sorry my first game on this map... Ugh the southern bonuses are hard as hell to tell what goes with what. I find myself not being able to tell what is what. I am sure I am not the only one.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas