Conquer Club

[Invites] Not allow inactive players to be invited to games

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[Invites] Not allow inactive players to be invited to games

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 am

Concise description:
  • Simply not allow inactive players (after a month of no log ins) to not be able to be invited to games. This is an easy soloution to prevent people from inviting randoms to games.

Specifics/Details:
  • Code to stop invites going to inactive members

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This will stop (although a small amount of it goes on) people abusing the system

Discuss..
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Re: Not allow inactive players to be invited to games

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:42 pm

I know where this is being based from and i totally support it
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Seems like it generally makes sense to have only 'scoreboard active' people able to receive invites.

Are there any downsides to it? Would it impede people that are getting back into the game, that haven't joined a game over a long span? Would it have any other impacts?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Seems like it generally makes sense to have only 'scoreboard active' people able to receive invites.

Are there any downsides to it? Would it impede people that are getting back into the game, that haven't joined a game over a long span? Would it have any other impacts?

--Andy

It should work the same exact way the scoreboard works.

Don't you reappear on the scoreboard if you play a game?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Seems like it generally makes sense to have only 'scoreboard active' people able to receive invites.

--Andy

It should work the same exact way the scoreboard works.

Don't you reappear on the scoreboard if you play a game?

only once you've completed the game tho...wat about if you tie it to active games instead? if there arent any active games on their profile then they cant receive invites?
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby MichelSableheart on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:22 am

There is one small downside I can think of: players who are only members of this site because they like to play a real-time game with a premium friend from time to time. But in such a case, the game would likely be created as a private game anyway.
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby eddie2 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:45 am

i like this as it will solve the problem you had in c and a just now but could there also be a code for a player that is also on a forum ban this will help people that are in tourneys the organiser will know that they are banned

or enen show invited players so i would come up like this

reserved for eddie2 instead of the plane (reserved) that we get at the moment
Major eddie2

Postby Darwins_Bane on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:14 am

eddie2 wrote:or enen show invited players so i would come up like this
reserved for eddie2 instead of the plane (reserved) that we get at the moment

I like this. But it seems like it may be difficult to code. lets see what others think.
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:30 am

It doesn't seem like too bad an idea, but I guess I don't really understand the need. I mean, if someone asks a person who is not active won't they just not join?
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Darwins_Bane on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:35 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:It doesn't seem like too bad an idea, but I guess I don't really understand the need. I mean, if someone asks a person who is not active won't they just not join?

its related to an abuse of the invite system. basically you invite someone who is innactive and they obv wont join. but it allows you to control who is on the other team(ie noobs) rather than luck of the draw.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:40 am

Darwins_Bane wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:It doesn't seem like too bad an idea, but I guess I don't really understand the need. I mean, if someone asks a person who is not active won't they just not join?

its related to an abuse of the invite system. basically you invite someone who is innactive and they obv wont join. but it allows you to control who is on the other team(ie noobs) rather than luck of the draw.

But they could just invite friends anyway. I am not sure why the difference. Its not like they can remove someone who joined.

Still, I don't think that the change would cause any harm.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Timminz on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:50 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Darwins_Bane wrote:

But they could just invite friends anyway. I am not sure why the difference. Its not like they can remove someone who joined.

Still, I don't think that the change would cause any harm.

The trick that I've seen used (and there could easily be others), is a team will start a public game, and then invite a single, inactive player to fill one of the spots on the opposing team. This keeps any other real teams from joining together, as one of the spots is reserved, so the games fill up with random people, making for a much easier win than a well-practiced team would.
Captain Timminz

Postby Timminz on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:51 am

And, as far as that tactic goes, if this suggestion gets implemented, the offending teams could easily just start inviting a friend, and asking them to simply let the invitation expire, to achieve the same result.
Captain Timminz

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:55 am

Timminz wrote:And, as far as that tactic goes, if this suggestion gets implemented, the offending teams could easily just start inviting a friend, and asking them to simply let the invitation expire, to achieve the same result.

This was my thinking... it just would not solve anything.

The real problem here is that people form set teams, but then want to "pounce" on unawares people. I think that problem needs to be addressed directly, but I am not sure how. Myself-- I gave up on teams a long time ago.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jefjef on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:28 pm

LV has a good idea. :shock:
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby AAFitz on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:15 pm

downside possibilities are pretty small on this one. There are certainly ways around it, but none are as effective as inviting someone not around.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby lord voldemort on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Eddie. That suggestion isn't relevant. And I think already been suggested with support. I know lack wanted to review the whole invite process. But yer. I see little downside to this. If friends just have an account to play the odd game irl. Then they can just as easily make it private. Only issue is timeframe as Andy said

Postby alex951 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:51 pm

=D> way to go LV nice suggestion I really thing the site will benefit from this
Corporal alex951

Postby edwinissweet on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:21 am

Um so far this looks like a win. Timminz does bring up a good point about how people can simply invite their friends and ask them to let the invite expire to get the same result. To me it seems like a ridiculous thing to do, but farmers exploit the system as much as they can so it would be ideal if we could hear some suggestions regarding that issue.
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:05 am

edwinissweet wrote:Um so far this looks like a win. Timminz does bring up a good point about how people can simply invite their friends and ask them to let the invite expire to get the same result. To me it seems like a ridiculous thing to do, but farmers exploit the system as much as they can so it would be ideal if we could hear some suggestions regarding that issue.

Timminz is certainly right. My argument is...well, there's really nothing you can do about that. But there IS something that can be done about the inactive players being invited.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:10 am

One of the nice things about the invite feature---is that it can get inactive users active on Conquer Club once again. It is a nice tool for getting people that have wandered, to come back, if they know they have a game waiting for them.

That said, perhaps instead of going with a disallow of inviting inactive players, since it hurts Conquer Club's ability to get old people active again, what if for Team Games, when reserving/inviting opponents, you can only reserve/invite whole teams, instead of individual spots on a team.

Something like that would still allow for old people to become active again through using invites, but maybe limit some of the poor sportsmanship that goes on when trying to keep established teams out of games.

Just some thoughts.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Darwins_Bane on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:31 am

or even that you cannot invite oponents?
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:51 am

hmm andys idea has merit, there are situations when it will genuinely cause problems but they are minor

Postby BoganGod on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Good suggestion LV
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Denise on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:37 pm

I have a fremium friend who is hardly active, but once in a while he wants to play a game. He will ask me to invite him to one, and we like to play dubs as well as 1 vs 1 sometimes. I can see that this would be a terrible inconvenience to him, and others who are not really active but just like to play once in a while. I could make 1 vs 1's private, but for dubs I will join a public game, then invite him to it. So I guess I agree with Andy that this would be a poor way to entice barely actives to become more active. It's too bad coz I like the idea of finding a way to limit abuse of the invite system.

As far as limiting invites to teams, couldn't a player abuse that by inviting 2 random players to join the same team?
Colonel Denise

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions