Conquer Club

Powers of Three [TPA] [WINNER = sonicsteve]

Tournaments completed in 2011.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Powers of Three [TPA] [WINNER = sonicsteve]

Postby Kinnison on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:54 am

Powers of Three (TPA) (Singles, Larger format)
PREMIUM IS REQUIRED.

This is a Tournament Players Association (TPA) event, and is governed by its rules, guidelines, and judgments. All are welcome to join and participate in the association. You need do nothing more than join one or more of the TPA events that will be announced each Monday. Check back on the TPA scoreboard in the Tournaments--> General Info forum to see how you're doing.

Note: This may look unreasonably complex. It was, to design... To play or run, it's simple. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS: play the games I send to you. I'll be sending each player ONLY the games they need to join, as autojoin links.

Format: (3x3x3x3) 81 Players, 3 league-style rounds. In the Preliminary round(31 games per player), players will be organized into 3 squads of 27 (3^3 ...okay, I'll stop with pointing out all the 3s, heh) each. You will play all 26 of the opponents in your squad; 8 of them in 8-player games(you play 8 games), 8 of them in 7-player games(you play 7 games), and 14 of them in 4-player games(you play 16 games). Points are earned for order of finish in each game.

To keep things moving, all games will be Standard, Escalating Spoils, Automatic Deploy, Casual. Other maps and settings will be as below, to provide some variety and challenge:
All 8 player games will be Chained fortifications, no fog.
--These games will be played on First Nations North America(first round), Fractured America(elimination round), or World 2.1(finals), depending on the round.
All 7 player games will be Adjacent fortifications, no fog.
--These games will be played on Europa(first round), Eastern Hemisphere(elimination round), or Land and Sea(finals), depending on the round.
All 4 player games will be Unlimited fortifications, with fog of war on.
--These games will be played on Brazil(first round), South America(elimination round), or Classic(finals), depending on the round.

These maps have been chosen for several reasons, the LEAST of which is their ability to fit a weak geographical theme.

In the Preliminary round, the four top scores in each squad, and the next 15 best overall scores will advance to the elimination round.
In the Elimination round, the format will repeat, with the nine top scorers of the single squad making the final round.
In the 9-player finals, the format will repeat with the same number of games, but a shift in the scheduling due to the reduced field.

Scoring:
8 player games: 12 for the winner, then 9, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1, and 0 in reverse order of elimination. 96 points possible.
(i.e., 0 points to the first player eliminated, 1 for the second eliminated, 2 for the third out, 3 for the fourth out, 5 for the fifth out, 7 for third place, 9 for second, and 12 points to the game winner)
7 player games: 13.5 for the winner, then 9.5, 7, 4, 2, 1, 0 in reverse order of elimination. 94.5 points possible.
4 player games: 6 for the winner, then 3, 1, 0 in reverse order of elimination. 96 points possible.

**Note: Deadbeat players will continue to earn points, with their elimination coming at the point they were forcibly removed from the game.

Placement for the TPA for this event:

Eliminated in the first round: Place 28-81, based on scoring (so every point you can earn in a game is valuable)
Eliminated in the second round: Places 10-27, based on Second round scores ONLY.
Finalists will be ranked 1-9 according to their scores in the FINAL ROUND ONLY.
---So if you advance past a round, those points no longer matter. This is clearly "What have you done for me lately"-type scoring.

The games will be sent out in 3 groups, comprising a mix of 8-, 7-, and 4-player games. It is intended to send them out at one-week intervals, and it may be necessary to update squads on different days due to the number of games involved (486 in the first round, total) and the need to send out the precise games involved to each player. Each player will receive between 8 and 12 games in each group of games.

See the Scheduling post for a link to the full tournament schedule.

81 players accepted for play, seeking reserves as well. After some debate, I will be participating. I don't love participating in my own tournaments, it's a distraction. But in this case, the grind/pace/degree of cabin fever in the finals is such that I won't ask others to play the format if I won't myself. Also, I've cut my game load WAY down (momentarily at zero, but engaged in tournaments in progress), so I should be able to manage. Reserves as such will be used ONLY in the Preliminary round. If I need a fill-in in later rounds, it will be the top-ranked player who did not advance from the prior round, and their TPA standing shall be altered accordingly.

Random.org will be used to sort players into the squads and schedule for the tournament.

Questions will be gleefully accepted.

show: Rationale-History-Origin-Ramblings
Last edited by Kinnison on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

FAQ/QUESTIONS

Postby Kinnison on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:54 am

Q: (Kinnison) So... what about games running WAY long, and hurting the schedule... especially if they could affect who advances?
A: I've been struggling with this one...
> Option One: Let 'em run, it takes what it takes. This is not optimal, as even escalating games can turn into builders.
> Option Two: Hard turn limit (probably different for different sizes of games... 25r in an 8-player game might mean turning in sets of over 250... 25r in a 4-player could just be reaching sets of a hundred...), and final rankings based on BOB power or troop count. ...This fails because of 2 things: the 4-player games are fog... and the sheer number of games is going to make it very hard for me to watch all of them hit some round limit, unless it's quite high.
> Option Three: Hard round limit, split all remaining points equally among surviving players. This isn't perfect, but it's what I had to do among some players when maps were won by 'objective' in earlier tournaments. (note that no maps in use here have such an objective. If I somehow missed an objective, this rule would apply)
> Option Four: Don't make any decision until you have to. I HATE this idea. I don't like imposing a solution at need when it comes up, ESPECIALLY when I'm participating.

---Option Three Wins. 8- and 7- player games have a 30-round "cap", 4- player games, a 40-round "cap". At the END of 30 or 40 full rounds of play, all surviving players will share equally in all points remaining to be distributed from the game. From the Organizer's perspective, this is doubly good. I don't have to worry about 1 game holding the tournament up for 3+ months (it should take 4-6 weeks to hit that cap, even in an 8-player game)... and if I miss the exact moment a game hits that point, it can still be easily checked from the log.

Q: (Kinnison) So... just when will games come out, anyway?
A: Round 1 is complete. Round Two is following the bi-weekly schedule for creating games. Wave 2 was sent on October 27. Wave 3 is anticipated to go out on or about November 9, 2010. The Finals will depend on progress in completing all Round 2 games. As such, a POSSIBILITY exists that the finals will commence before the turn of the year, but in all likelihood, the Finals will not commence until ~January 4, 2011.

Q: (Kinnison) So, are we gonna get any cool prizes, other than TPA points?
A: Well, I'm not offering a premium prize. HOWEVER: There is the possibility of winning a General Achievement Medal. One G.A.M. has been approved for the first individual to sweep all their games of a specific size category in a single round. So, win all of your 8-, 7- or 4-player games in a round, get a medal! ...Nope, it's not easy... but they're not supposed to be.

Q: (morleyjoe) Regarding reserves - I just wanted to confirm one thing about the scoring. I noticed I've only played half the games others have. :?: Does that mean I get all of the points that the player top banana had in the 15 games he played?
A:Short answer: yes.
Longer answer: players dropping out/replaced will score ONLY the points for the games they actually played. The reserves who replace them will get all points for the games the original player played, PLUS the games they played personally. REASONING As many/most replacements are due to deadbeating, in any "scoring" tournament, reserves have a hard enough time trying to advance as it is... This is consistent with scoring I've used in prior tournaments.

Q: (anonymous player) what is the time frame for joining these games?
[b]A:
The EXPECTATION is for players to receive their PMs, and join their games upon doing so. I did not, unfortunately, list a specific time frame in the tournament rules when I created the tournament, as I assumed we could all be mature about this. This is an obvious flaw in my reasoning, particularly as I foolishly included fog in the 4-player games. I will endeavor to not repeat either of those errors in the future, certainly not together. To answer the question originally posed, between 48 and 72 hours after the PMs were sent, Invites will be sent to any players who have not joined. IF THE INVITES EXPIRE OR ARE DECLINED WITHOUT PRIOR COORDINATION WITH THE TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER, THE PLAYER FAILING TO JOIN GAMES WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE TOURNAMENT.
Last edited by Kinnison on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

COMPETITORS

Postby Kinnison on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:55 am

show: PARTICIPANTS-UNSHUFFLED

show: R1_SEEDING

ROUND ONE RESERVES:
1 Lufsen75 --- In for johnboss13, PRIOR to round 1
2 morleyjoe --- in for top banana, middle of round 1
3 Lindax --- in for Natewolfman, Round 1 - between waves 1 and 2
4 patrickaa317 --- in for General Flashman, round 1 - between waves 1 and 2
5 AgentSmith88

show: R2_SEEDING

show: R3_SEEDING
Last edited by Kinnison on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:51 am, edited 40 times in total.
Lieutenant Kinnison

SCHEDULE/SCORING

Postby Kinnison on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:56 am

FULL SCHEDULE/SCORES HERE - All Games/Scores Complete. -- Last Updated APR 03, 2011

*****Sheet Titles changed to make it more apparent where current progress is.

show: CORRECT_TPA_RANKINGS
Last edited by Kinnison on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 51 times in total.
Lieutenant Kinnison

Re: Powers of Three [TPA] (1/81)

Postby Eddy_26 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:08 am

I'm in!
Major Eddy_26

Re: Powers of Three [TPA] (2/81)

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:22 am

I'm in!
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby ga7 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 am

In please
Anarkistsdream wrote:If you guys can't tell that Doom is being forced to post this drivel, you are fools...
Lieutenant ga7

Postby barterer2002 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 am

in
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby benga on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 am

in
Sergeant benga

Postby Timminz on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:48 am

In please.
Captain Timminz

Postby Sniper08 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:59 am

in please
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby paws1610 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:15 am

I'll play
Corporal 1st Class paws1610

Postby sonicsteve on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:33 am

My current avatar is the album cover for "3-Recurring" by The Spacemen 3, so obviously I must be IN, please

Also, the setup looks great!

sonic
Major sonicsteve

Location: within walking distance of the sea, waiting for global warming so I can jump in.

Postby Enormastitz on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:26 am

OK sign me up!
Colonel Enormastitz

Re: Powers of Three [TPA] (11/81)

Postby Kinnison on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:29 am

Through Enormastitz, all in.

This list will not be updated further for a few hours... just got home from work, I'm going to bed. I'll check this and get it updated again as soon as I awaken (about 6 hours from this message, with any luck).
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby danryan on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:58 am

In pls.
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby shoop76 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:04 am

in
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby HighlanderAttack on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:05 am

I am in please
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby dowian2 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:12 am

Count me in.
Major dowian2

Postby Night Strike on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:16 am

I'm in.
Major Night Strike

Postby MudPuppy on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:39 am

In, please.
Colonel MudPuppy

Postby wilkinc on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:06 am

In please!
Major wilkinc

Postby spidey on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:45 am

what the hell sign me up, I probably won't last to long anyways.
Winner of UEFA Cup 2007/2008 Tournament
Winner of Points Grabber I & IV
Winner of Satellite for 19th RISKTOC, but was to broke to go.
Highest points 2153, Highest place 474th
Sergeant 1st Class spidey

Postby redbugal on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:17 am

I'm in.
Captain redbugal

Postby kuma32478 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:48 pm

In Please
Private 1st Class kuma32478

Next

Return to Completed 2011