Conquer Club

[GF] Change Displayed Address for Game Finder Results

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Add Bookmarking To Game Finder

Postby chipv on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Concise description:

Allow the game finder page to accept the same parameters as a submitted game finder form request and return
a page with the checkboxes filled in.

Specifics:

Currently adding parameters to http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=find has no effect on the returned page.
When a game finder request is submitted, the form parameters are submitted and a results page is returned.
It would be useful if the game finder page would accept the same form parameters and fill in the checkboxes.

For example
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?m ... ps=BeNeLux
would return a game finder page with the BeNeLux map checkbox checked.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
1.Users can bookmark game finder searches without needing Firefox or Greasemonkey
2. The site and scripts can offer users links with pre-filled game finder checkboxes thus making it easier to bookmark.
Captain chipv

Re: Add Bookmarking To Game Finder

Postby JimRocky on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:25 pm

The Map Rank GL add on already has that feature.
It's use there is to load the form with your choice of map rank options, but it allows you to bookmark save any
Game FInder options just as easily.

It's true you would have to use Firefox and Greasemonkey, I believe.
Don't forget to spread a little sunshine, and to bring a towel.
Sergeant JimRocky

Postby blakebowling on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:43 pm

JimRocky wrote:The Map Rank GL add on already has that feature.
It's use there is to load the form with your choice of map rank options, but it allows you to bookmark save any

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: chipv is the one that created Map Rank GL...

I think it should be integrated in the site, as well as a save for the Start A Game page
Private blakebowling

Postby JimRocky on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:50 pm

blakebowling wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: chipv is the one that created Map Rank GL...

I think it should be integrated in the site, as well as a save for the Start A Game page

LOL That is funny. I paid no attention. I'll let y'all laugh a day or two before I delete my post. :oops:
Don't forget to spread a little sunshine, and to bring a towel.
Sergeant JimRocky

Postby blakebowling on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:02 pm

JimRocky wrote:
blakebowling wrote:

LOL That is funny. I paid no attention. I'll let y'all laugh a day or two before I delete my post. :oops:

That's fine, you can delete it, I quoted you ;)
Private blakebowling

Postby asl80 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:52 pm

support for this idea for sure ... think it should be part of the site ... not just in an add-on (which are not always accessible from public computers).

... i mean, it's either something like this or you should have a personalizable "Game Finder" page, where you select the maps and settings for that "Tab" (where the page is set up like the "My Games" page with its 'Active' - 'Waiting for Players' - 'Finished' tabs.)

[maybe everyone could be given a max. of 3 tabs to personalise?]
Lieutenant asl80

Postby yeti_c on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:59 am

Definitely concur...

Note - on a similar note - you could also rewrite the mygames pages to run directly off of game finder searches to minimise code replication.

C>
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Customized saved searches with the game finder utility

Postby stinkfish on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:52 am

I play lots of speed games, but i always search for certain game types/styles when looking for games. It would be awesome if I could make this process faster when trying to find a game. This may have already been suggested.

Once, when I searched for a game, it returned a URL with a long string of variables (PHP?) rather than simply showing http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=find. I'm sure this long URL contained the code for the customized game search I was looking for. Can't that URL be visible every time? Or can we make a way for each premium user to save a few customized game searches?

Specifically I always search for sequential public speed games that are awaiting players.
Major stinkfish

Re: Customized saved searches with the game finder utility

Postby edwinissweet on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:54 am

I see it.. but then i kinda dont.. Seems kind of unnecessary, but others might dig it.
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Re: Customized saved searches with the game finder utility

Postby MichelSableheart on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:49 am

You might be interested in checking out the add on found in this topic.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=527&t=18815
Brigadier MichelSableheart

[GF] Change Displayed Address for Game Finder Results

Postby agentcom on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Concise description:
  • Change the address that is displayed for first page of Game Finder search results

Specifics/Details:

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This will allow users to more easily link to desired Game Finder search results.
  • This will allow users who don't know the workaround (discussed below) to link to Game Finder search results
  • Currently players have to use the work around of pressing one of the navigation arrow buttons to get the address bar to change to an address that actually links to the desired search results.
  • This workaround is even more confusing when the Game Finder search returns only one page of games (less than 101 games). In this case, users would have to know that they can click on the grayed out and seemingly inactive navigation arrow buttons to get an address that actually links to the desired results
  • Furthermore, not displaying the unset variables will make for shorter links in the forum.
  • Shorter links means less information transmitted, which means marginally decreased resource usage.

People this would benefit:
  • People linking to games in C&A forum (e.g. to show farming)
  • People discussing games via PM (e.g. sending some people a list of games to join)
  • Tournament Organizers posting or sending lists of games in open tournament formats
  • People discussing games in other forums (e.g. to show how great/terrible the current Conqueror is at a particular game type)

This discussion started here: viewtopic.php?f=506&t=164194#unread. Thanks to ISN2 for telling me about the 1-page workaround.
Last edited by agentcom on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Colonel agentcom

Re: Change Displayed Address for Game Finder Results

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:48 pm

I agree that this should be implemented. It would be an improvement for TOs who send PMs for players to join games because they can much easier give them a link to the games.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ender516 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:29 am

Seems like the right thing to do. I support this.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby sherkaner on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:59 am

Agreed, and maybe it's an idea to remove all unset variables from the url too (shouldn't be hard afaik).
So the link in the start thread becomes http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?submit=Search&gs=A&np=&it=M&po=F&bc=3&ft=O&wf=Y&page=1
Colonel sherkaner

Postby agentcom on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Yeah, I've always wondered why the unset variables are displayed ... I support that modification. But it's not as important to me as just getting that first link right.

Thank you for the additional support and I will modify OP to include the benefits to TO's
Colonel agentcom

Postby Dako on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 am

Yeah, you only have to change "POST" to "GET" in the form. Then it will work like a charm.
Colonel Dako

Postby agentcom on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Dako wrote:Yeah, you only have to change "POST" to "GET" in the form. Then it will work like a charm.

I figured it was something simple like that.
Colonel agentcom

Postby agentcom on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 am

Any more love out there for this idea? So far we have no detractors for what seems like a simple fix.
Colonel agentcom

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:07 am

Support
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby agentcom on Wed May 16, 2012 3:32 pm

About a month since the last post. Looks like we have about five or six in favor and so far no detractors. I also am amending the suggesting to remove unset variables. Seems like an easy enough thing to do if lack does end up messing with the displayed address anyway. The following has been added to the suggestion:

agentcom wrote:Concise description:
While you're add it, you might as well remove all unset variables, so that the link becomes this: http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?submit=Search&gs=A&np=&it=M&po=F&bc=3&ft=O&wf=Y&page=1. Note that this link already works, it's just a matter of getting Game Finder to display this link instead of the one with all the unset variables. [Thank you Sherkaner for this part of the suggestion. -agent][/list]

and

agentcom wrote:Benefits:
[list=][*]Furthermore, not displaying the unset variables will make for shorter links in the forum.
[*]Shorter links means less information transmitted, which means marginally decreased resource usage.[/list]

Did I miss any benefits? Is there any problem with adding the above to the suggestion? Let me know.

Finally, is there any reason to keep the "page=1" part of the URL?

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?submit=Search&gs=A&np=&it=M&po=F&bc=3&ft=O&wf=Y

The above link seems to do the same thing and we have removed another "unset" variable if you consider the default value of "page" to be "1." If there are no problems with this further reduction, then I will amend the suggestion again.
Colonel agentcom

Postby MichelSableheart on Sat May 19, 2012 5:10 pm

This seems like an obviously good idea that isn't getting the love it deserves.
MichelSableheart,
Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
And a member of the Republic
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby blakebowling on Sat May 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Submitted.
Private blakebowling

Postby agentcom on Sat May 19, 2012 9:46 pm

blakebowling wrote:Submitted.

Thanks Blake! My first submitted suggestion!
Colonel agentcom

Postby agentcom on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Finally, is there any reason to keep the "page=1" part of the URL?

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?s ... &ft=O&wf=Y

The above link seems to do the same thing and we have removed another "unset" variable if you consider the default value of "page" to be "1." If there are no problems with this further reduction, then I will amend the suggestion again.

Hearing no disagreement, I will amend the original suggestion.

We started with this:

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=find

Made it actually useful like this:

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?submit=Search&gn=&gs=A&np=&mp=&ty=&it=M&po=F&bc=3&ft=O&wf=Y&rl=&sg=&pt=&to=&lb=&p1=&p2=&p3=&p4=&so=&page=1

Then reduced it back down to this without losing functionality:

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?submit=Search&gs=A&np=&it=M&po=F&bc=3&ft=O&wf=Y

The last item will be longer or shorter depending on how many search variables you set.
Colonel agentcom

Return to Archived Suggestions