Conquer Club

3-Fold Random Suggestion [Implemented]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: 3-Fold Random Suggestion

Postby MichelSableheart on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Completely agree.

A player who wins on a map that was selected at random is probably more versatile then a player who wins on that same map after choosing to play on it. There currently is no easy way to make this difference visible. This suggestion definately adds to the functionality of the site.
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:37 pm

One more vote of support. =D>
Major drunkmonkey

Postby shocked439 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I agree! This is a great idea.
Sergeant shocked439

Postby squishyg on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:06 pm

i completely agree with queenie with absolutely no asterisks to her suggestion!! please let us random mappers have the respect we deserve!!
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 am

When Random Maps came out, I can't remember if there was a specific technical reason or not why Lack didn't keep track of it. We'll have to see! But I like the idea nonetheless.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Lubawski on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:05 am

Agreed
Colonel Lubawski

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:22 pm

Agreed.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:20 am

I see no downside, it would definitely give players an incentive to play a random game, thus making people more likely to be more well-rounded on unfamiliar maps.
However, I have a question- for the crossmaps medal, would each unique defeat count both towards the random map and the map that came up from the random setting, or just the random setting? (Assuming the random medal would be based off of unique defeats, that is.)
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:22 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:I see no downside, it would definitely give players an incentive to play a random game, thus making people more likely to be more well-rounded on unfamiliar maps.
However, I have a question- for the crossmaps medal, would each unique defeat count both towards the random map and the map that came up from the random setting, or just the random setting? (Assuming the random medal would be based off of unique defeats, that is.)

Agreed. It would count towards both.

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Woodruff on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:*mods, please merge this with the Q&A thread I started on the same topic...I will update my original post there with the following information once it is merged over here since that one is the older post and will show up first...

Concise description:
  • Register the random games in the database, make them trackable and countable, etc.
  • Show to all (make visible) that a game was started in random
  • Eventually implement a random game medal

Specifics/Details:
  • As stated above

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • The random map game option represents a choice by the participant to play any one of the maps on CC
  • Once the map is selected, the winner of one random game is potentially not that skilled (especially if the map selected is one the winner has played frequently in the past.)
  • If a player wins frequently in random games, the player is likely skilled at playing the game on any map, this special skill should be recognized in the following ways:
    • visible to all the the winner has won other random games
    • a medal to recognize considerable achievement with this map option

I would like to state that if the suggestion for random-exclusions is accepted (and I believe it should be), this suggestion here should NOT APPLY to games in which there were exclusions taken for the map possibilities. My rationale for this is that the game is no longer representative of "truly flexible", particularly if the aspects of that suggestion for SEVERE exclusions are put into place. Someone could essentially "exclude down" to the same exact STYLE of map that they specialize in.
Here is that suggestion:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122078
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Queen_Herpes on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:*mods, please merge this with the Q&A thread I started on the same topic...I will update my original post there with the following information once it is merged over here since that one is the older post and will show up first...

Concise description:
  • Register the random games in the database, make them trackable and countable, etc.

Specifics/Details:
  • As stated above

• The random map game option represents a choice by the participant to play any one of the maps on CC
  • Once the map is selected, the winner of one random game is potentially not that skilled (especially if the map selected is one the winner has played frequently in the past.)
  • If a player wins frequently in random games, the player is likely skilled at playing the game on any map, this special skill should be recognized in the following ways:

I would like to state that if the suggestion for random-exclusions is accepted (and I believe it should be), this suggestion here should NOT APPLY to games in which there were exclusions taken for the map possibilities. My rationale for this is that the game is no longer representative of "truly flexible", particularly if the aspects of that suggestion for SEVERE exclusions are put into place. Someone could essentially "exclude down" to the same exact STYLE of map that they specialize in.
Here is that suggestion:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122078

Good point. If you can make more than ? exclusions, at what point does ? become ridiculous and not awardable towards the medal? That being said, considering new maps are being added (and none being subtracted) would a random medal awarded only for "no exclusions" be more valuable in year 2013 than in year 2010?

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Woodruff on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Concise description:

Specifics/Details:
  • As stated above

Good point. If you can make more than ? exclusions, at what point does ? become ridiculous and not awardable towards the medal? That being said, considering new maps are being added (and none being subtracted) would a random medal awarded only for "no exclusions" be more valuable in year 2013 than in year 2010?

Marginally, perhaps...though I would argue not significantly. I say this because regardless of the SHEER NUMBER of maps, there is likely not to be a tremendous amount more DIVERSITY among the maps (basically, I think that map-wise we've covered pretty much any idiosincracies that we can)...so the flexibility/skill involved would essentially be the same. I'm of the opinion that this suggestion should only apply to "no exclusions random map games", but that's just my opinion.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Queen_Herpes on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Concise description:

Specifics/Details:
  • As stated above

Marginally, perhaps...though I would argue not significantly. I say this because regardless of the SHEER NUMBER of maps, there is likely not to be a tremendous amount more DIVERSITY among the maps (basically, I think that map-wise we've covered pretty much any idiosincracies that we can)...so the flexibility/skill involved would essentially be the same.

Woodruff wrote:I'm of the opinion that this suggestion should only apply to "no exclusions random map games", but that's just my opinion.

I agree. Any other people reading this thread?

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:38 am

Obviously I am, and i am going to agree with woodruff. If you have exclusions from the random map, then they should not count towards the random medal/stats.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby MichelSableheart on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:53 am

I'm seeing only positive feedback, no negative feedback, and a reasonable amount of support. Time to sticky?

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:57 pm

Woodruff wrote:I'm of the opinion that this suggestion should only apply to "no exclusions random map games", but that's just my opinion.

It would make sense, there really isn't much else to post on this topic of arguments for. So,

MichelSableheart wrote:I'm seeing only positive feedback, no negative feedback, and a reasonable amount of support. Time to sticky?

When does sticky come? :P
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 am

Stickied.

Please be patient, as my two compadre's are a bit busy.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Re: 3-Fold Random Suggestion [Last Call ~ TFO]

Postby Denise on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 pm

I just want to add my support to this suggestion. Great idea!
Colonel Denise

Postby JoshyBoy on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:38 pm

I think this is a great idea. Two thumbs up.

No reason why this can't be submitted.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby ender516 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I would support this suggestion as well.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby JoshyBoy on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:06 am

I see no problems with this except for the suggestion that we should be excluding certain maps from random.

Submitted.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Catarah on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:28 pm

great suggestion, especially since i love playing random games.
Captain Catarah

Re: Medal Suggestion List [Submitted - Darwins_Bane]

Postby Catarah on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 pm

i got one more which i didnt see mentioned:

* Medal Title: Random medal
* Medal Description: awarded after defeating 20/100/400 opponents on maps selected by the "random-map" function.
* Why this medal should be awarded:
while some say the cross-map medal covers this one already, i think there is a major difference between selecting a map and gametype you like, and that way managing to get the medal, instead of actually having to be prepared for any and all maps coming your way. i like playing random maps and i think its a shame we don't get a medal for it.
Captain Catarah

Re: Medal Suggestion List [Submitted - Darwins_Bane]

Postby MichelSableheart on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 am

The problem with that suggestion, Catarah, is that there is no way at this point in time to track which games were created using the random map function and which were created on a particular map.

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:03 pm

So, just because I'm ignorant on the process, what is the hope that this might actually be enacted anytime soon?

Is there any at all?

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions